Was Chris McCandless a failure of boomer parenting?

Was Chris McCandless a failure of boomer parenting?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild_(film)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Thomas_Knight
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Tanner#Death
twitter.com/AnonBabble

he was just some fucking idiot whos not worth remembering

I wonder how many of the people making these posts are neets

at least neets arent dumb enough to wander off in the wilderness and starve to death in a bus

Is this retard your hero or something?

>"lol yolo party rock is in the house tonight" *dabs*
>wanders off into wilderness
>dies

That's what you get brainlet normie.

DUDE MAPS ARE FOR FAGS LMAO

Pretty sure the guy lived way more in that short amount of time in the wilderness than you've ever done in those pathetic 30 years of your worthless life.

Well at least you've got your memes, right?

Before this thread gets going:

the "magic bus" is not near a main road

there was a tram that he could have used to cross the river but it was not near the bus, it was somewhat close to the area where he had crossed the river months before.

even if he had a map, it's unlikely that said tram was marked on it.

>fuck society man i'm an animal brah
>awww shit you need other humans to survive in the wild because humans are social animals and society is an instinct.
Admittedly I haven't seen the movie, am I close?

Yeah dying alone and afraid in the middle of a forest a few hundred yards from the means of escape sure sounds like a great life

see

Turns out his father beat the living shit out of him and terrorized the rest of his family, so yeah. Yet Krakauer felt leaving that fact which happens to explain everything out of his book was somehow protecting the familiy's privacy.

How did the magic bus get there?

>didn't bring a map because he wanted a mysterious adventure experience
>there was a trolley/pulley bridge just a few kilometers from his camp
>had he just brought a map and only looked at it for emergencies, he would have known about the bridge and not starved to death

he's a fucking idiot

the story is mildly interesting, though

I believe it was towed there. The area it's in used to be a worksite for loggers or something like that.

Again, see . It's an extremely common misconception that the river crossing was close to the bus.

The guy basically committed suicide. He just wanted to escape a shitty life.
See The way the turned his story to magic hippie adventure is even sadder, because in the movie he's just a dumb fuck who thought living with just nature was cool, and nature ended up killing him because it turns out you have to be knowledgeable and shit to live that life.

For anyone that's curious, the allegations of child abuse come from a book that Chris' sister wrote several years later.

the guy had a nice idea but was totally unprepared.
do it for a week and see how you get on, leaping head first into nature is stupid

Yeah man, nice citations. I readily believe your random post over everyone else's because you just sound so smart and knowledgeable

Whatever retard. Look it up for yourself then. The tram crossing is close to where Chris initially crossed the river in April, several miles from the site of the bus.

Let's pretend his passion was Nascar driving...

Christopher McCandless sets off, from California in an old car he rebuilt himself (he replaced the fenders and painted it), on a trip to the Daytona 500. He only gets across the state line when he runs out of fuel because he forgot to fill it up. Instead of simply walking to the nearest gas station or flagging down help he decides to push his car over an embankment and set it on fire. He then proceeds to walk on foot to the nearest car lot (which happens to be in Mexico for some reason, mostly because he burned up his map in the car and he's been taking backroads.) He finds an old bicycle in a garbage dump and uses that.

He finally gets to the car lot and buys a fixer-upper for $50. Before leaving the car lot he has to change a tire, which he replaces with the solid rubber donut. He buys fuel and heads off to the Daytona 500 again. Only he's heading deeper into Mexico and eventually ends up broken down in front of, "Autodromo Internacional de la Jolla" due to no water in the radiator. The engine block has seized up. Luckily, there's a race about to start. Christopher...er "Alexander Superspeeder", who changed his name, pays the $125 entry fee for the race.

Unfortunately, Alexander Superspeeder doesn't have a race car. He does however have an old bicycle still. He uses the bicycle to race. He makes it only 3 laps before he is too tired to steer straight and veers off into a race car and is killed.

Some Jew picks up his story and writes a book about his life and how he followed his dreams. Another Jew makes a movie about it. Armchair racers around the world adore him.

The End.

>In to the Wild
>man is mentally ill
>man shuns society, gives his money away, burns the rest of his money, identification, credit cards, gets his vehicle caught in a flash flood, becomes a filthy vagrant hitchhiker, changes his name to "Alexander Supertramp", kayaks to Mexico illegally, loses kayak in a dust storm, goes to California, shuns civilization again,
>man goes innawoods in Alaska and lives in an abandoned bus for 4 months, and was most likely the person that vandalized the supplies of food caches (he was a really stupid, mentally ill person after all, who wanted to destroy everything he had available to him from civilization)
>man dies from equal amounts of stupidity, ignorance, and starvation (and from being injured)
>enterprising Jewish author decides to write a book about it to make money from someone else's tragedy
>another enterprising Jewish guy decides more money can be made from the mentally ill innawoods guy and decides to make movie about it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild_(film)
Budget $15 million[2]
Box office $56,255,142[3]
8 awards

they starve at home lol

>getting butthurt over some dumb fuck who basically killed himself

A lot of this pasta isn't true. He didn't shun society at all. He worked odd jobs including Burger King to save money for the Alaska trip. He also didn't actually burn his wallet and identification. They were later found in his backpack.

>He didn't shun society at all.

Read his diary.

I don't know why they tried to portray a mentally ill young adult who should have been referred for treatment as a totally sane lost young soul hippie who was completely rational and well meaning but unprepared in the movie and book.

This was awesome! LOL

>whiteknighting a dead hobo
reevaluate your life choices

What I mean is he didn't become a hermit or anything. Unlike this guy: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Thomas_Knight

Who was dumber?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Tanner#Death

he's what happens when a yuppie does something they have no knowledge about because it was fashionable/cool. Probably did way too many mushrooms one night and wanted to be captain planet.

There are levels of society shunning. Like what you are going here on Sup Forums instead of being out with your GF/Wife. That is merely one level. He on the other hand went to Alaska to outright die.

>some dumbass has a rich daddy and an easy ride through life
>decides to throw it away like a douche
>freeloads off people and takes advantage of people kindness
>does not fuck under-age K-Stew
>goes into Alaskan wilderness with a book of safe berries to eat and not much else
>poisons himself by eating the wrong berries
>dies alone like an idiot

I have no idea why people admire him. Half the people he took advantage of in the film are the kind of people who would have LOVED the life he left behind because they know how shitty it is to be poor.

He was a spoiled rich kid with mental problems who rebelled in the most selfish way possible against nothing.

His parents were unlikeable cancer in the book.

>duude dying young and alone is fine if you live in the wilderness and see trees and deer and stuff lmao

Fucking KeK
>I'M GONNA CROSS THE TEK IN THE SUMMER LOL

>He on the other hand went to Alaska to outright die

I highly, highly doubt the theory that he was depressed and suicidal. First of all, he was in Alaska during the summer. That particular area gets highs in the 70s and lows in the 40s in the summer months so it's not really that bad. Second, he seemingly just had this romantic notion about living off the land which is really what doomed him. If he had brought ample food supplies with him, it would have just been a pleasant summer vacation.

>poisons himself by eating the wrong berries

He died from starvation not berry eating. Most of the stuff in the movie was altered to make him seem better, even though the character is retarded. For instance, the book in the movie which shows the plants, has the page edited to remove the warning about eating the seeds from that plant. Also, you need to literally eat a cow's worth of diet in those seeds in order to have problems with them. You'd end up sick and vomiting from the normal compounds that are in all plants before it would ever affect you.

Krakaur is a fucking self inserting hack.

did he bring any weaponry for hunting?

He had a rifle and hunted small game and even killed a moose somehow but had no idea how to preserve the meat.

I'd rather still be me tbqhwy

He's classic. "Egoistic suicide". He put himself in ever increasing danger. He even wrote that he was having obvious problems and should leave, but he didn't. That's classic suicidal thought patterning.

I believe the hand-operated tram was marked on the maps.

A .22 lol

There's got to be a 90s era map of the area floating around somewhere on the internet. I've always been curious about that.

He seemed fine, it was the lack of water at the dried up spring that shows he flawed thinking. When I go out, I bring more water than I need in order to reach a new source of water. That way I can still make it back to where ever the last water source is before running out. I've only had to do that once and I was glad I thought that far ahead. Not doing that is a common thing for many people. They always seem to say the same thing, "but that's way more water than we need to reach the next spot. Its just too heavy!" and they don't bring the extra water. Sometimes it turns out very poorly for them. Chris on the other hand was losing weight constantly and still didn't come back. It was very obvious he couldn't sustain his body mass for several months.

Thus, Chris was far far dumber than Evan.

He had the map still and it did have the tram marked. Also, the crossing is just a short distance from the bus.

Oh the map didn't have the tram on it? Kind of an oversight if it's an official map.

>Also, the crossing is just a short distance from the bus.

Not that short. IIRC the bus is about 10 miles from the river. That's a pretty far distance if you're weak and starving.

>Krakaur is a fucking self inserting hack.

This x1000

Weak and starving? Oh yeah, but that takes a long long long time to occur and you have plenty of time to notice it before you are too weak to do anything about it.

Dude asked about the movie, not the book.

He was a failure of being unwilling to read up on survival, in the end. He just never talked about anything to anyone and privately seethed at everything he didn't perfectly like or understand. Also in his letters to his sister he says 'I bet they think I'm gay or something!' about his parents then totally blows up about his guess. He honestly seemed kind of schizophrenic, but definitely willing to humor and take very seriously any little thing he could think of. He was definitely a conspiracy-type guy who really projected anger onto anything for any reason.

>55 posts and no webm of prime K Stew

Nah, it's a true story where a high school grad leaves society to solo backpack across the country while writing angry manifesto letters about how his parents and anyone you don't meet in the woods are deranged psycho brainwashers who can never understand him, then he freezes to death because he doesn't know anything.
Truly a paragon of anarchy primitivism

>freezes to death

Where did you get that notion? He was in a temperate climate area of Alaska from April to August.

When I was younger I thought this film was really inspirational, I watched it again recently now I'm 30 and he just seems like a stupid cunt who thinks who knows everything but in fact is incredibly naive

>Like what you are going here on Sup Forums instead of being out with your GF/Wife.

Y-yeah totally. Go outside with your gf you losers.

I be this is a womyn

>oooooooooh he was so hot and wild.....

>Catalog
To be fair, that is a big part of the story's appeal. This guy was a great outdoorsman but he was also a grizzled middle age diesel mechanic and not young and pretty.

>Catalog

Not sure how the fuck that happened.

McCandless fags are so ridiculous.

If he'd just decided to go back home he would have been a middle aged corporate fat cat today.

I'm willing to bet he intended to write a book if his Alaskan adventure had worked out.

Poor mans Stig Ingar Evje.

Was he a virgin?

NEETs aren't as bad as this retard

there is literally nothing wrong with being a fat cat

Why the fuck didn't he just stay in California with his hippie waifu? Most unrealistic part of the movie desu.

Man this is got to be the dumbest post in a while. You're romanticizing a literal idiot just hanging out in the woods and "exploring", then dying because his brain is shitty. Fucking kys

Because that never really happened, he was ugly as fuck in real life

Meeting underage pre-lesbian K-Stew who wanted nothing in life but to suck Chris' dick didn't actually happen in real life

He was such a fucking idiot. Such a waste. Stupid dumb cunt.

Struck a chord didn't I? I'm sure your shitty neet life is better though, no worries.

This movie is the very definition of /movies that tv-autists don't understand/.

Never fails to rustle jimmies.

When he realized he was getting thinner why didn't he leave?

What was his plan?

crashing the bus with no survivors

He could have just, you know, done all that and lived instead of died. I get the feeling that just like Krakauer, you are overly eager to take McCandless' life as a snarky jab against doing anything else.

he was a flawed idealistic kid

the film is great because it impartially captures what was so appealing about his adventure without ignoring what was so flawed about it

he ran away from all the awesome people who were what he should have been seeking instead of solitude and death

Possibly. Main issue was that he didn't really research what he was doing. Part of being human is the ability to learn and prep for things, he should have spent a few years really studying the outdoors and survival, he would've been fine innawoods.

Kek

People who hate him hate him because he completely rejected normal culture. He hated money, hated status climbing, hated social posturing, and hated working. Though familiar to NEET life on the surface, this is actually the opposite. The NEET wants these things, and cannot have them. Every basementdwelling fuck would surround his pale, maggoty body with women if he could, but he never can. The indignant anger they feel toward McCandless is the same as that of normies who go "dude what a retard who even dies going camping lmao" but tainted with additional bitterness because McCandless had the life they wanted, their IDEAL, and pushed it away because it was hollow and not worth living.

Why do young Ameriburgers hate old ones and vice versa?

nice pasta, faggot

I watched this movie on acid
I keep calling him Jack McCandless whenever I talk about it too

that's it thanks for reading

Everyone gets tired of the quest for money and success and other bullshit that society forces on you and makes you think it's important. But then we get over it and go back to our boring life of never having enough stuff.

McCandless got stuck on being tired of society so he left it completely. And he fucking starved to death in an abandoned bus in the woods just like every person that leaves society should.

Old people are worthless in our current culture. Sad but true.

Everyone forgets McCandless was fine for four years before messing up and dying. It's like slipping on stairs and going HA, WHAT A FUCKER ARE YOU KIDDING ME HE DIED ON STAIRS HOW COULD YOU EVEN.

Unironically true.

True although he was mainly just hitchhiking around the southwestern U.S. so he wasn't exactly roughing it. He went into Alaska super unprepared.

He died BEGGING people to save him. I doubt he was thinking "Oh man what a fucking great life I lived" in the last moments of his life before starving to death. The guy's life is only useful as a cautionary tale for other retards not to try this thinking it's "fun and games".

Everyone dies begging not to die. If you live to ninety and are conscious as you slip away peacefully, internally, you're begging that this isn't the end.

Is this the most unrealistic subplot in a movie ever? A guy would have fucked right then and there.

Good post

Then stop trying to portray him as a fearless hero that went there and got what he wanted in his life. He died as a misguided individual that fucked up and couldn't take it back. Neither did he life his life to the fullest as some people here are saying.

>what is suicide

Some people welcome an end

I'm Alaskan and everyone up here thinks he's a dumb cunt. they try to portray him as some intellectual martyr who was 'too good for this world' when in reality he was just a retard with bad luck

In a way, finding the magic bus was his doom.

He would have left earlier and maybe lived.