What was the point of his character?

What was the point of his character?

peaches

self insert by D&D

To show the audience that Stannis was willing to kill his own blood using blood magic if it was necessary to win

TRUE
KING
OF
THE
NORTH

Prove me wrong

Introduce Brienne

To show us just how dumb Ned Stark's sense of honour made him

In the show? To have a gay character in a position of power and force their narrative that Stannis is evil.

To show that just being handsome and likable isn't enough to make you fit to be a ruler.

To show that fags are unfit to rule

Who? I already forgot.

a clash of kings

In show to advocate for Constitutional Monarchy. Still not sure how they intended that to work in a medieval setting but there you go.

To split up everyone even further. Worse part is that had he won (something very likely considering his army vastly outnumbered everyone else) he would have set the stage for future succession crisis whenever a younger brother felt he deserved to rule.

To show that a popular, young leader isn't always the best choice for a nation.

This. If he wasn't so obsessed with himself he would've bent the knee to stannis and teamed up with him. Both of them together could've taken the throne

Stannis and Renly together might even be able broker some kinda compromise with the North. The little fucker just had to declare himself king

To replace Robert in the book

To be a massive faggot in the show

>"Robert was the true steel. Stannis is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He'll break before he bends. And Renly, that one, he's copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day"

/thread

He shows the flimsyness of the honour/duty bound code that all the knights and lords pretend to live by. Most of the Stormlords support him over Stannis despite Stannis being the rightful successor. Also he shows how unliked Stannis is

The opposite is true really. Renly was the one most fit to rule. Stannis the middle one and Robert the least one.

HE'S ALWAYS BE HOMOSEXUAL CHARLES MANSON TO ME AND MULDER

Renly was completely manipulated by the Tyrells

1) show that Stannis is a sociopath who will do anything for his throne

2) minor red herring for normies who actually thought Robb winning the war was as easy as sending his mommy for an alliance with the guy who was friends with Ned the previous season

In the show? I guess. Not in the books. In the books he convinced the Tyrells to join him through Loras. Loras was always Mace's weakness.

if Renly wasn't gay he would be on the iron throne right now

not really

sociopath isn't the word. The death does bother him, it shows how absolutist Stannis is in his desire to get to the throne

literally no claim

To illustrate the "might makes right" mentality which was bolstered by Robert's Rebellion.

Heres the real question; What was the point of THIS character?

All he did was fail. Over and over and over.

Interesting guy that was butchered by bad writing. Along the same lines as Jaime.

It's a shame it isn't made of cocks, they'd have never gotten him off it

What difference would it have made? Hell if he wasn't screwing Loras he probably wouldn't have gotten as far as he did.

I think they were talking about war and as a man.
Robert was a formidable warrior and general, Stannis is good and Renly is just a pretty face.

Even then that's bullshit. In war, Renly did everything right. He had the best allies. He was choking King's Landing. He was keeping morale up. And he even offered Stannis a way out. He realized that for the Baratheons to continue it would be through him and not Stannis the autist.

All he did not account for was a plot tool shadow baby.

>Literally did nothing
>Most fit to rule

Were we watching the same show?

No, I was reading the books, you know the actual canon story and not the fanfic version.

Well he was going to kill him if he didn't

Stannis was the rightful heir to the throne. Why should he yield to his little faggy brother? Furthermore, killing Renly was the most logical and humane option, because a battle between their armies would have cost a lot more lives and in the end, would have weakened the position of the inevitable winner. IMO it just showed that Stannis was a determined and competent leader, who wouldn't be afraid to make sacrifices for the good of the realm

>allies
just one

>IMO it just showed that Stannis was a determined and competent leader,
He barely knew Renly was going to die. He had almost nothing to do with it. He was going to fight a battle to his death instead to save his face.

Stannis was a prick (still is) but Renly was supported as a puppet. In the end the small council would reign in his place, exactly like in Robert time

Tyrells and the Stormlands. That's 100k just there. The Dornish were also supporting him. The North with its two kingdoms were going to support him aswell once Stannis was out of the way. That's almost what? 200k men?

He had almost everyone besides the Lannisters behind him. He was going to completely fuck everyone up but the shadow baby ruined that.

Olenna Tyrell tells Sansa that Renly's crowning was Mace's idea through Loras. She implies it was Renly playing them rather than vice versa. She's bitter about it.

>supported as a puppet
By the Tyrells? I dunno it seems like the most stable alliance anyone has in Westeros, and Mace is hardly Tywin.

To show how far Stannis will go for his throne

Sup Forums self insert

Renly was the best step to achieve power.
Stannis is too difficult to deal it, any Robert heir was a Twyin puppet. Renly was the easy choice.

Why do you keep saying this when we already are told that the alliance was made through Loras convincing his father to join Renly? People underestimate Renly's ability to win allies. It was also due to Loras that the Tyrells avoided Stannis.

The quote about Renly being copper is from the books. Again, you dont know what the fuck you're talking about.

Yes I know it's the books. It was crippled Donal Noye the blacksmith of the wall telling it to Snow. And I'm saying he's wrong. Donal Noye was a fighter. He probably saw talent where there was a fighter.

Would anyone on this board honestly want this fucking puff to sit on the iron throne?

And it was said by a man that hadn't seen him since he was a child.

the point of the character is to show how he was a selfish, while point of Stannis is to show how he does not forgive if he is betrayed

Yes he would've objectively been best king of the Southern kings. With him on the Iron Throne, Westeros would've known peace the moment Tywin was gone. Robb had no intentions of fighting enemies that weren't Lannisters. All the fighting would stop with Renly as king.

Sup Forumstards with mental issues see him as a father figure. As he's fiction, he will never be disappointed by them the way their real fathers are.

He was good at make friends, winning the lords and the people hearts. but this not make him fit to rule. He was all smiles and friendship is magic, nothing more

>bookcuck thinking his opinion is relevant

lmao

What does "a point of the character" even mean?

I mostly see Renly's actions as a snowballing attempt to save his own skin. His original plan is just to seize Joffrey and get on the Regency council. When that fails due to Stark stupidity, he legs it South and decides rather than doing nothing he should make himself King and go on the offensive. I think it was self preservation more than the Tyrell's that was controlling him.

the tragedy is that Stannis and Renly together unironically would have been the best rulers Westeros could have hoped for.

Stannis would have been a ruler dedicated to carrying out the law and justice and is one of the greatest military minds in the world. Renly would rein in Stannis' more autistic qualities and win over the love of the people

>All the fighting would stop with Renly as king

Literally the dumbest post of the day. Congrats.

>He was good at make friends, winning the lords and the people hearts.
That is pretty much how to rule as a feudal king.

And just that makes him better than Joffrey/Tywin. It makes him better than Stannis of No Allies and it makes him better than any Targaryen east of the sea. He had all the best qualities of Robert (charming, good fighter, beautiful) but none of the flaws (wasn't a drunk, knew what ruling meant to some extent).

Renly was completely in the right to seek the throne. Stannis would never be able to rally the lords of Westeros to him. And we can say that in hindsight he's right. The only ones with him are just Stark supporters biding their time for a new King in the North to appear. They are plotting behind his back.

I still don't know how anyone here can think that he's competent when the show goes out to show how Renly is the opposite.

does anyone know where can I watch the supposedly leaked 7th episode of the 7th season?

If Renly takes King's Landing, then the Lannisters would be trapped between Starks to the North and Renly to the east. He'd be forced to march back the westerlands where Robb was waiting in ambush.

Robb's entire plan depended on any of the Baratheons taking King's Landing instead of committing kinslaying. Renly never got the opportunity and Stannis fucking blew it. If King's Landing was taken that day, then the Lannisters would be finished and Westeros could start rebuild again.

>when the show
Read the books senpai. Everyone in close proximity to Renly is in complete awe of him. Even Eddard is taken aback by Robert Baratheon made young again.

He lacks the ruthlessness of Tywin nor the savvy of Tyrion. He would make a poor king.

We're talking about the show not the book.

The ruthlessness of Tywin brought the doom of his house. Renly does not need to be Tyrion-smart. He'd surround himself with competent advisors like Willas Tyrell. You don't need to be a mastermind to hold the throne. Just someone competent.

>He would make a poor king.
Maybe. I'd say he wins by default compared to the other claimants that were running around at the time though.

anal sex between twinks

>implying fanfic is canon

And nipple shaving.

magic friendship power doesnt make people like you that much when you are a homosexual double usurper

One of many in the chain to be the king. It made sense being next of kin. The brothers fight over the throne. What's there not to get?

Everyone was a usurper by that point. Nobody had a good claim. Stannis was the rightful king but he never produced the evidence for his claims. Again, you underestimate just how beloved Renly was in the south. The Northerners were also desperate for an alliance with him. He was their best shot of removing Tywin.

The main issue a feudal overlord faces is rebellion by pissed off vassals. Magic friendship power is probably going to help him there.

why didnt stannis ally with renly and win the war putting renly on the throne (without an heir, making stannis the next in line of succession) then have mellysanders SHADOWED him?

lame.. ga.y..

>implying the books are ever going to get finished

If I remember clearly melly s was pretty vague about the whole shadowsecks so there's that.
Also if you didn't quite catch it through 5 seasons stannis wasn't particularly the best with intrigue, I honestly can't remember one situation when he achieved something through plotting - only bitter fight to the last blood and perseverance in his arc desu senpai.

i dont think after asos that the stannis part as true anymore and Robert definitely was not true steel after war

To show us how awesome a Stannis-Renly team up could have been.

Stannis would have Handed the fuck out of King Renly.

stan wuz more old

Why did D&D make him into a wimp?