Jacob's Ladder

Opinions on this? I thought is was great.
What are some similar movies?

Besides the Thing, best horror movie ever made.

Does it really qualify as horror? Aside from the hospital scene which I suppose had some gore, it's more of a psychological thriller.
Also, did he really die in Vietnam after all? That was unclear.

bump

It's existential horror

That might be accurate. What else is there in the same genre? Aside from Enter the Void.

Disappointed. This first half atmosphere is really good and the downward spiral too but then it turns out to be /x/ tier shit with a ridiculous ending that you can see from miles ahead. Also, who ever thought Tim Robbins was a good choice of actor ? He isn't bad but he looks so simple-minded.

The term is psychological horror, and yes it definitely qualifies.
And yeah, he died in Vietnam. One of the main interpretations is that this was a grotesque version of the North Wind and the Sun, where demons and angels were both working out which afterlife Jacob was destined for. The original script even had the demons with horns and tails and the angels like Louie with wings and haloes. Luckily Adrian Lyne opted for a more creative approach

One of my favorite movies.

>/x/ tier shit
You mean the chemical experimentation part?
I see. So the entire movie is just some sort of near-death experience, and his girlfriend (the second one, not his wife) and the life he leads with her is just his imagination?

I always found this movie boring. I can never get through it

The first half is GOAT. Then it turns into a completely different kind of movie in the second half with the conspiracy plot that goes nowhere, barring the Hospital scene.

Best horror ever. Holy fuck I just got shivers just thinking about some scenes.

>Hospital scene.
what was the deal with those mutilated and crazy people? Just shock value?

Check An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. Its a short story with the same kind of story. A man is hanged and in the split second before he dies he imagines his own escape and his life afterwards. Jacob is essentially doing the same over his slow death in Vietnam while going through a sort of spiritual journey to forgive himself for the death of his son. The girlfriend is a sort demon or evil spirit trying to burn his memories away and make him forget.

That makes sense. And thanks, I'll check it out.

>some sort of near-death experience, and his girlfriend (the second one, not his wife) and the life he leads with her is just his imagination?

Yes and no. Lyne had a very "take of it what you will" stance on the film.

I took it literally. Jacob's soul was in a kind of Purgatory that happened be the early 90s. There he ran into angels, demons,
and the lost souls of his squad who were just as scared as he was.
Eventually he was forced to come to terms with his life's tragedies and issues before finally becoming ready to move on to the other side with his son.

While this interpretation fits my personal views, your interpretation is also perfectly justified. It's part of what I loved about the film.

Pretty sure this was one of the earliest occurrences of this twist, if not THE earliest. Surprised it hasn't had a good adaptation itself.

It was hell, and he was being threatened.
If you notice nobody at the hospital even attempted to fuck with Louie, who'd been compared to an angel earlier in the film.

Talking about Purgatory, angels and demons, I thought the religious symbolism thrown in was pretty interesting. Especially the small details like the coins as a reference to passing from life to death in greek mythology

This movie is good but it triggers my pet peeve of characters going wide eyed and crazy while knocking things over and stumbling all over the place like idiots. People don't fucking do that.

>What are some similar movies?
Not really similar in plot, but tone, you might like Angel Heart with Mickey Rooney and DeNiro.

If you were being harassed by literal demons you'd probably spaz out a bit too

The biblical names were also a nice touch, especially considering the most angelic character, Louie, was one of the only characters who didn't have one.

They really nailed the overall ambience and atmosphere. Every scene with Louie came as a relief from all the stress and torment that came before.

Godtier casting combined with a really comfy set. I don't think I've ever disliked Danny Aiello in anything.

oops. Roarke, not Rooney

Best as a scenario

Admit it, you forgot he was in this.

>tfw no chiropractor guardian angel

maybe The Jacket?

Videodrome
Naked Lunch

How the hell could I forget George was in this movie?

youre already dead

session 9 is an amazing move, shame it's never talked about here.

This is the correct answer.

>hell, heaven
>demons, angels
I don't look at the movie religiously whatsoever.

Jacob's being tormented and has all of that awful shit happening to him because he's essentially dead but he refuses to accept that, thus being stuck in a situation with no way out.

The friendly chiropractor guy straight up explains that to him near the end - every single thing that you're seeing is not a demon/angel but a means to the end of making you realize that you've just died. And so he can either fight and suffer, or give up and pass away peacefully.

He reunites with his son, realizes that he loved him and does the latter.

Session 9 is mentioned in pretty much every one of these threads I click on. It's not an amazing movie either by the way, just a bit above average because of its excellent use of the scenery. Do you ever say anything that isn't completely wrong retard?

malpertuis has some similar themes, and it has old orson.

it's bretty gud, sequence with the ice bath is kino in its purest form

excellent recommendation, i got extremely similar vibes from the tone.

I thought it was brilliant. I watched it not long after i came out of hospital for psychotic depression and found it very close to the bone. I loved his scenes with the chiropractor and the dialogue about angels appearing to be demons if you don't accept your death etc.

session 9 was mediocre at best

Just finished watching Vanilla Sky for the first time so...there's that.

Also Kyle Gass is the neighbor.

It was neat

Kind of falls apart at the end in my opinion, but I just wanted an excuse to post this alternate movie poster.

Brilliant