Wasn't this scene a little silly for a serious war movie?

Wasn't this scene a little silly for a serious war movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fHorsEWxbUg?t=18s
youtube.com/watch?v=_-3jnIfQ64A
youtube.com/watch?v=_uVOoqTAbNc
youtube.com/watch?v=9aqopEQr7wI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine–American_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro_Rebellion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_occupation_of_the_Dominican_Republic_(1916-24)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_occupation_of_Haiti
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Silly? It's gritty and R-rated as fuck

Spoken like a 16 year old

yes, please tell me all about your knowledge of war from playing call of duty faggot

Vince Vaughn and pencil dick Garfield are a little silly for a war movie

the chad charge.

>picks up virgin body shield. plows through dozens of nips blasting them away.

youtu.be/fHorsEWxbUg?t=18s

vs

youtube.com/watch?v=_-3jnIfQ64A
youtube.com/watch?v=_uVOoqTAbNc

no wonder its called HACKsaw ridge
went into the film totally fresh and unspoiled and watched it with a friend, we gave the first act its dues and went through the love and training but when the film went to the actual war we were laughing so hard at the action scenes, especially vince vaughen on the sheet being dragged away

that scene is exactly what a call of duty fag would think actually happened

this. hacksaw ridge is a fucking joke

>picking up dead weight body in one arm
>without shouldering or aiming, is firing a 30-06 automatic rifle and hitting all his targets no problem

wew
fuckin
lad

>the Japanese took over a day to notice someone was carrying wounded soldiers to the edge of a cliff, an area they controlled completely, and slowly lowering them down

How the fuck is that possible.

Gibson>>>>>>>Spielberg>>>>>>>>>>>>hanks

Y'all just mad that Mel "hooked nose get fed to crows" Gibson is back on top where he belongs

i like gibson, this is just a ridiculous scene

I liked it. It looked feasable.

this whole fucking thread

>slight chad but not modern day chad who works out with roids holding a 50-60kg body in one hand and a 11kg gun in the other running and shooting (without aiming) accurately hitting japs in front of him who are aiming at him and killing them all before any of them hit him

>feasible

its 80's arnold action movie tier in a "gritty realistic" war movie

youtube.com/watch?v=9aqopEQr7wI

>hacksaw ridge

Adrenalin dude

Is it true Spiderman karate kicked a fucking grenade in this movie?

Rekt

A body can't stop rifle caliber bullets like that.

nah :)

The word you're looking for is kino.

the scene when the zombie suddenly woke up was kind of ridiculous also

I mean the guy was a pencilneck irl anyway

Mel Gibson was originally going to play Vaughn's character but decided he wanted to put all his focus into directing. In general he had to get a bunch of small pay actors and do stff on the cheap because the sutdio would only give him 40million because they thought people wouldn't want to see a mel movie after the drunken tirad stuff a couple years ago.

>"we gave the first act its dues"

>Ebil japanese sacrificing their own people
>Brave americans save those that they can
>Win the fight and move further MURICA FUCK YEAH

Why are Americans like this?

The sheet dragging scene was forced on based Mel by the corporate Jews. Aside from that I can't recall anything that stood out as retarded, though I did see it the better part of a year ago

He slapped one away with his hand, and kicked the other on the ground.

The peak of jap military strategy was to smash your plane into stuff. Let that sink in just how smart they were.

Look into it. The Japanese loved their 7mm.

Wow, a whole lot of that was laughably bad.

>the dragging scene where Vince Vaughn has a grease gun with a 200 round magazine
The rest was good but that shit can fuck off

lmao someone post the gif of him drop kicking the grenade

after reading a bunch of war diaries and the like about vietnam, this shit seems totally plausible. War is fucking insane.

Don't let what actually happened keep you from sticking it to the big bad Americans user. Clearly they were slaughtering the Japanese like animals because they wanted to, and not because the Japanese had spiraled into a collective cultural psychosis and would never surrender despite their completely untenable strategic position from mid-1942 on. Just look at death rates for POWs, the US and Britain were just as bad as the Japanese, Nazis and Soviets guys. Down with the West!

user...in real life Desmond was up there dragging wounded away for a week on his own. Mel actual had to alter the true story because some of the facts are too unbelievable. For example after the grenade shrapnel tore his leg apart it took five hours before people they got to him rather then barely a minute like in the movie and by then he had bandaged himself up. He also refused to be taken back to base until some other men were taken away first first and continued to deliver medical aid while his leg was fucked.

This is often the case in war movies, for instance the movie about Audie Murphy (which he starred in) had to tone his exploits way down so people would buy it iirc. Put a human in an insane situation and they'll sometimes pull off equally insane things.

Or they were fucking lieing? Or misremembering? Or embelishing?

I have no problem with Americans being "bad guys". Might is right, its the way of nature. But portraing themselves was some sort of saviors is just fucking laughable, im watching the Mayweather vs Mcgregor thing on fox and they have commercials for the Marines kek
Its not healthy being this fucking brainwashed, if i was the American president i'd just give them the straight facts, " Look motherfuckers, the dollar is a fucking illusion, either we fuck these sandniggers over here or all of you will become homeless, so whats your choice?" A few antifas would cry but at the end of the day people would still be selfish and go with it.

>"different cultural values don't matter, all human conflict pretty much just comes down to power and resources lol. humans and their social structures are equally shit everywhere and people who make a commitment to defend the set of values they think are the best are just brainwashed. no way those values actually helped create and maintain the miraculously civilized and prosperous Western world most of us posting here inhabit"
do you even realize you've fallen for one of the primary postmodern Marxist memes?

Why are you so resistant to believing in the potential of your fellow man? Those stories are corroborated extensively, and if you read much about war you'll find even two guys who were next to each other agreeing on the way things went down is pretty damn rare.

Not saying some stories weren't embellished or whitewashed for propaganda purposes either, but there's no denying the amazing things some people did.

Oh boy...is Western culture morally superior? On a surface level, yes. In war? No. You are the one that fell for the memes, too much movies feeding you the good guy vs bad guy paradigm. There are no good guys in war unless you are defending your nation. America dropped a second nuke just for shit and giggles and bombed civilian neighbourhoods to destroy the German's moral. Is that being good? Being better than niggers and sandniggers doesnt make one not bad. Its the nature of power, you cant get to the top without getting your hands dirty.

Yeah it's goofy as fuck and completely out of place. Not sure what they were thinking.

My opinions are based on my reading about events that happened and their long-term consequences, and filtering that information through an individualistic worldview couched in basic Christian morals, as all of Western culture is. (I'm not religious myself, I just recognize that's where our values come from inasmuch as they aren't inherent in humans. Which they sort of are if things go right.) Wartime morality is an interesting subject because "thou shalt not kill" becomes irrelevant to more pragmatic people when others are trying to kill them. Yet moral cultures still operate by certain principles, in the case of the Allies attempting to walk the tightrope between unnecessary human suffering and ending the war expediently. Considering the results they got (principle antagonists Japan and Germany were extensively rebuilt and remained among the world's great cultures, POW camps had minimal deaths/abuse, etc.) I'd say they did a damn good job.

Now, the later military exploits of the US and Europe to a lesser extent are a lot more muddled morally. They were right to identify communism as an existential threat and catastrophically incompatible with human nature in every implementation. Whether they went about fighting it as ethically as they could have is very much up for debate, I think most will agree there was room for improvement. Yet here we are well into the 21st century, all but a couple of the communist regimes have imploded and turned into somewhat healthier countries, and most of the world is more peaceful and prosperous than it has ever been, and rapidly improving. And I don't think you can deny that Western culture has gotten us here. So I do believe it's morally superior in all cases, and worth defending.

the japs probably thought it was different people jumping off the cliff and just let them get on with it, japs loved jumping off cliffs during WWII

all those 10 dollar words, nigga damn save some pussy for the rest of us

Me on the right.

Movie was Amazing Spiderman in the 40s
when he got to boot camp with Vince Vaughan, I lost it....
so fucking dumb

lol I just try to use the right word. Synonyms are a meme they all have slightly different meanings. I've actually been finding my vocabulary limits my verbal expression more than I'd like. I have to read more of the classics, literature is my weak point intellectually

because it's true?

That must be why it's so fun

>yes, please tell me all about your knowledge of war from playing call of duty faggot

Could literally be mistaken for a COD chat message.

>user you gotta check out thin red line
>malick is an amazing director
>decide to check it out
>pretty into it, very subdued and immersive

Then this BAZINGA!!!!-tier moment hits.

this isn't even gibson's best movie desu, literally oscar bait to get back with the jews

N-no you cuck. B-based Mel giving it to the joos!

Yeah it was retarded. Nothing will ever top Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers.

>opening has his pacifism explained through him almost killing his brother
>later on have scene where his pacifism is explained when he almost kills his dad

y

The part with the dad was about the challenges that is pacifism faced

The whole movie was silly.
>be American
>pacifist
>"I really really hate guns and killing people. I should join the army"
>"WTF I have to shoot guns and kill people? This is an outrage"
And then he proceeded to kick grenades into groups of japs.

If think that's silly you should see the shit he actually did. It's some Pablo Escobar levels of unbelievableness.

>One lone soldier disobeyed orders and charged back into the firefight to rescue as many of his men as he could, before he either collapsed or died trying. His iron determination and unflagging courage resulted in at least 75 lives saved that day, May 5, 1945, his Sabbath.
Eventually, the Americans took Hacksaw Ridge. Okinawa was captured inch by bloody inch. Several days later, during an unsuccessful night raid, Desmond was severely wounded. Hiding in a shell hole with two riflemen, a Japanese grenade landed at his feet. The explosion sent him flying. The shrapnel tore into his leg and up to his hip. He treated his own wounds as best he could. While attempting to reach safety, he was hit by a sniper's bullet that shattered his arm. His brave actions as a combat medic were done. But not before insisting that his litter-bearers take another man first before rescuing him. Wounded, in pain, and losing blood, he still put others ahead of his own safety. He would choose to die so another could live. After all, that's what he read in his Bible. Such was the character demonstrated by Jesus Christ.

>He would choose to die so another could live. After all, that's what he read in his Bible. Such was the character demonstrated by Jesus Christ
Why join the army then? Seriously, how much more explicit must "Thou shall not kill" get?

If he hadn't think of all the people that wouldn't have lived if he hadn't. I don't agree with his level of pacifism. At least they didn't make a joke of it like they did in Saving Private Ryan.

If the dude wants to help people that much, who could say no?

The original was better

>0:17
Holy shit this is really, really, really bad.

It's not actually a bad strategy when you've got plenty of people willing to throw their lives away. The Japs where just really bad at implementing it and the Americans could see their planes coming from miles away thanks to radar.

>Mel actual had to alter the true story because some of the facts are too unbelievable.
really? Because judging from what I saw above he doesn't seem to have an issue with over-the-top cartoonish levels of gore and bravado in his movie.

the bit with the dad explains why he doesn't like guns ontop of just not wanting to kill people.

The bit where he lost his bible. In real life he got it sent back to him in the mail after the men in his company went back to the spot he lost it and refused to leave till it was found.

>America dropped a second nuke just for shit and giggles
yeah and that's when I stop taking you seriously. Japan accepted unconditional surrender only after extensive firebombings of its cities, the Soviet invasion of Manchuria AND Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings. I don't know where this retarded meme comes from that they wanted peace after the first bombing (or in some instances before that) because it's patently false.

No it was cool. That's not the only 80s B movie tier scene in the film, and I don't think it wasn't on purpose

>he charges forward with a body blocking multiple 8mm rounds even while firing constantly with a 20 round mag from a BAR spraying down japs with perfect accuracy, only using ONE HAND

>people will defend this

>not appreciating based mel homaging raimi

>America dropped a second nuke just for shit and giggles
lol, it's documented fact that the Japanese wouldn't surrender and the Emperor was convinced the US was incapable of doing it again, that's why the second one was dropped.

I turned this movie off like 15 mins in because it felt like a Lifetime movie

As opposed to your knowledge of being there and seeing it for yourself?

the japs were attempting to make peace with the U.S. since like 1943, they tried to send telegrams via the USSR and Switzerland, they just didn't want to be humiliated and split 4 ways like germany, and the soviet union ending the war was another straw on the camel's back.

America had her mind set on unconditional surrender despite the urging of Churchill, who rightly thought it would make the enemy for desperate and prolong the war, wasting lives

also FDR's calling for unconditional surrender plus the leak of the Morgenthau Plan made germans think they were going to be wiped out if they didn't win the war, and decreased the likelihood of a peace being reached and maybe hitler being deposed

No, many directors already stated that they actually had to diminish the amount of insanity of their war scenes because people would say "it's silly", many veterans said that meat_shield.jpg happen in war but very few directors did it because they knew people would have your kind of reaction.

This movie is, and will be forever on the greatest pleb filter of all time.

I really need to re-watch this

Top kek

Charlie Sheen is kino tier at comedy and bulks up quite nicely.

Also, this movie had Albert from Twin Peaks.

RIP

Japanese were a bunch of vicious, imperialist cunts that invaded China without provocation, raped and murdered hundreds of thousands of people. You really going to give them a pass because they whine and cry about it?

Hacksaw is trying way too hard to be MOAST INSTENSS BATLE EVAR.

There's no sense of spatial relationship between the characters and the slow-mo instant replays are cheesy as fuck.

>the japs were attempting to make peace with the U.S. since like 1943,
Pure revisionist history that isn't backed up by a single historical document.

surely the u.s. has never imperialistically invaded any countries without provocation, let alone in the 20th century

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine–American_War

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro_Rebellion

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_occupation_of_the_Dominican_Republic_(1916-24)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_occupation_of_Haiti

that doesn't mean america should be nuked

lol, you are a gigantic faggot. Kill yourself.

>>Ebil japanese sacrificing their own people

revisionist retards like you should get welded alive into a Kaiten desu

You're either confusing timelines or you're confusing peace talks. A circle within the Japanese sent a representative to talk to a U.S. rep in Switzerland but he in no way was a representative of the Suzuki Cabinet (i.e. the actual rulers in Japan and the only people who COULD approve a peace treaty).

What did happen in 1943 was that Japan tried to initiate a peace deal between the Soviets and Germany (more than once) but obviously those efforts failed.

Everyone one of those were rebellions the US assisted in putting down.

In short, you're stupid.

"His Majesty the Emperor is greatly concerned over the daily increasing calamities and sacrifices faced by the citizens of the various belligerent countries in this present war, and it is His Majesty's heart's desire to see the swift termination of the war. In the Great East Asia War, however, as long as American and England insist on unconditional surrender, our country has no alternative but to see it through in an all-out effort for the sake of survival and the honor of the homeland. The resulting enormous bloodshed of the citizens of the belligerent powers would indeed be contrary to His Majesty's desires, and so it is His Majesty's earnest hope that peace may be restored as speedily as possible for the welfare of mankind."

directly quoting from a telegram between the japanese minister of foreign affairs and their ambassador the USSR.

the peace attempts didn't really go anywhere because America was unwilling to accept anything less then unconditional surrender, and occupation of japan, which the government was not prepared to do, the telegrams were kept top secret by the japanese in attempts to save face and preserve their "honor"

*A circle within the Japanese Navy*

>be japanese
>be a gigantic cunt to every country near me
>get our shit pushed in by the combined forces of the allies
>"puh-puh-puh-please let us cease hostilities and keep our entire infrastructure and government intact"
The Allies were winning the war. There is no reason why they should even consider letting the Japanese get away without punishment for a war they LITERALLY started.

This is from a telegram in 1945, not 1943. Sato told Togo that Japan could keep its imperial institution in return for unconditional surrender and Sato flatly refused. Where are you getting the idea that any sort of official peace talks happened in 1943?

*Togo flatly refused*

it takes two to tango, you cant have peace talks with just one party showing up, the japanese didn't want to appear to be grovelling at the feet of the americans for obvious reasons considering there was practically a coup attempt during the japanese surrender even after the nukes had been dropped

the american public wants total victory immediately and if they don't get it they lose the stomach for war and pull out, WW2, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. Korea only turned out the way it did because the USSR and China were involved

its not a schoolyard fight, when millions of peoples lives are on the line it's a bit more delicate. japan and the rest of the old world had centuries of tradition of "gentleman's war" where peace usually involved a few provinces changing hands and sometimes status quo ante bellum.

a superpower dropping nuclear bombs on a completely defeated country sets a dangerous precedent don't you think?