Brexit Discussion

Lads: I am fortunate enough to be taking a history course on Modern Britain this semester.

I have conversed with the professor several times outside of class and know for a fact that he's a pro-Brexit Tory. (I don't know what he thinks about UKIP or Farage)

Tomorrow, for the first day of class, we will have a class discussion on Brexit.

Give me all the best redpilled talking points you can think of.

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/26/theresa-may-will-trigger-brexit-negotiations-without-commons-vot/
stuff.co.nz/national/77856538/massive-support-for-visafree-migration-bloc-between-uk-nz-canada-and-aus
change.org/p/parliament-of-the-united-kingdom-parliament-of-australia-parliament-of-canada-parliament-of-new-zealand-advocate-and-introduce-legislation-promoting-the-free-movement-of-citizens-between-the-uk-canada-australia-and-new-zealand
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36818055
youtube.com/watch?v=dcwuBo4PvE0
theguardian.com/business/2016/jul/20/bank-of-england-agents-report-business-as-usual-after-brexit-eu-referendum
theguardian.com/business/2016/aug/23/uk-economic-surveys-defy-brexit-fears
telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/29/new-zealand-offers-uk-its-top-trade-negotiators-for-post-brexit/
rt.com/business/350213-south-korea-uk-trade/
uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-india-idUKKCN0ZN2O7
pulse.com.gh/business/after-brexit-ghana-britain-trade-talks-begin-immediately-hannah-tetteh-id5188747.html
independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-uk-eu-referendum-latest-iceland-norway-greenland-faroe-islands-a7105641.html
icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/politics_and_society/2016/06/25/brexit_is_good_news_says_president_of_iceland/
cbc.ca/news/politics/brexit-ceta-canada-eu-trade-deal-1.3650708
rsc.ox.ac.uk/people/alexander-betts
therebel.media/england_bans_its_flag_to_avoid_potentially_offending_muslims_on_st_george_s_day
youtube.com/watch?v=GaeLUIqlDFQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>History
>Modern Britain
Really makes you think

ask why they haven't triggered article 50 yet

(its because they're not going to brexit, prove me wrong fish and chips)

Modern just means 1900-2000

>know for a fact that he's a pro-Brexit Tory
The class won't be total trash then.

Stand up and say:

GOOD MORNING.

Modern or "Contemporary" can extend from the present day to the end of the 19th century.

The Brexit vote is over and the climate that resulted in it is now a topic for historical study, because it's in the past.

the eu is urging them to trigger art 50, reason enough not to do it yet. This is a negotiation

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/26/theresa-may-will-trigger-brexit-negotiations-without-commons-vot/

>that perfect mic placement

Heil Farage!

yeah I'd be thinking about other countries politics too if I was Canadian. Anything to take my mind off the fact I'd sat by idly shitposting while I'd let Trudeau become elected

also

>a fucking leaf

>all these posts and no arguments

C'mon Sup Forums, give me something new, something I don't know!

What exactly do you want?

Some good, original talking points

Just because you're angry that you're never going to stop getting fucked up the ass by the EU is no reason to be rude.

Keep up with the news, leafaggot.

May said the other day she was going to trigger Article 50 without a parliamentary vote. She may be a feminist, but at least she's committed to Brexit.

Speak about the potential for closer relations with Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Boris Johnson, our new foreign secretary and former mayor of London, proposed the idea.

stuff.co.nz/national/77856538/massive-support-for-visafree-migration-bloc-between-uk-nz-canada-and-aus

There is also a petition for free movement between the aforementioned countries with over 160,000 signatures.

change.org/p/parliament-of-the-united-kingdom-parliament-of-australia-parliament-of-canada-parliament-of-new-zealand-advocate-and-introduce-legislation-promoting-the-free-movement-of-citizens-between-the-uk-canada-australia-and-new-zealand

Australia has also offered the UK free trade deals for the post-brexit environment

Want any more info? I'll tell you what I know about whatever you ask

did you know prostitutes in spain pay young men a montly salary (around 1000€) and spoil them with gifts to be their bfs? now you do

This is good.

Redpill me on that stock market drop right after Brexit. The economy didn't actually take a huge hit, right? And isn't the economy already on a decline?

HAHAH shit I'm dying.

Because politicians sure do like to keep their promises, I guess you should all vote Hillary since she's going to stop the TPP.

wtf i am now #spainmissile...?

Do your own work faggot. How do you use Sup Forums and not understand why the EU is shit?

I know why the EU is shit, pastanigger.

I'm just phishing for new perspctives and talking points that I might not already be privy to

There aren't any since we haven't actually left the EU, so the only arguments are the ones that you've already heard a million times, because the actual status of our country has not yet been altered.

You can point this fact out to any who cry "but the pound dropped!!! etc". Since we haven't actually left the EU any perceived problems the UK has faced since the result came out cannot actually be blamed on the UK's leaving of the EU, since it hasn't even happened yet.

Until we leave the EU we can't actually say what has improved or gotten worse as a result of the referendum.

>fortunate enough to be taking a history course on Modern Britain this semester.

Salam Alaikum!

Walaykum assalam!

The stock markets did drop when the result was announced, mostly due to panic selling. The pound sterling also dropped, and is still quite low, which is making imports more expensive and prices slightly higher, but even as a Londoner I haven't noticed any major price increases. It's helping our industry, too. The lower value of the sterling helps us export goods abroad. The FTSE is also high at the moment, the highest it has been all year.

I think the number of proposed free trade deals after the referendum has reassured our businesses greatly.

>Modern Britain

OP I want you to remember that this will be a lecture on Modern London.

Not Wales or anything to do with the North of England.

Thoughts on this Ted talk about Brexit? How's it feel to be labeled "ignorant" by most academics?

youtube.com/watch?v=dcwuBo4PvE0

Wasn't there a thread about this earlier ?

Holy cow, what a faggot

I wear it like a badge of honour, to quote the Don.

So why does he need info on Brexit?

Tbh, just from the flag I'm willing to conclude the American actually thought they were going to be learning about events that happened only 2-3 years ago.

nothings changed yet, talk about how people think its not going to happen so they can sleep at night but it actually is happening.

The danish government are eagerly awaiting what deal the brits will get or what they will do.

So ill say any EU skeptical nation are looking to Britain right now and that gives the old bongs a chance to change the direction of many nations in Europe.

>"""""academics"""""

Please. Reblogging shit on tumblr doesn't make you an academic.

Did you read my OP post? We're discussing Brexit on the day because it's a significant event in Britiah history that only just happened. Next class we're rocketing back to begin the course timeline on the 19th c.

>halo
>and a hitler mustache

I do not fucking understand how photographers manage to get so many of these fucking pictures with these coincidental setups.

OP, please tell me how they teach Henry VIII, I'm curious as to their side.

>coincidental

Sad as it is, I wouldn't know.

I'm a history major at my college, and the only courses I've taken that dealt with Britain explicitly (so far) have been 18th c. American history and History of Europe Augsburg-Westphalia (1555-1648). We didn't discuss anything about Henry VIII in that course.

What would be the point, though? Like others have said, you can't accurately assess the situation on account of so little having been done since the actual vote and not enough time having passed for things to set in and be put into proper context yet.

So long as you're looking for talking points, though, you might as well bring up the arrogance and sheer unpreparedness of Cameron's cabinet, and how politicians have become disconnected from the people who put them in power in the first place.

>What would be the point

Probably as a way to break the ice and have the classmates get to know one another by discussing recent events that have to do with the course

Shame. Henry did the original Brexit in 1534, ask your professor. It was far more historic, makes me proud.

FUNNY ISNT IT

>Select all images with tea

We don't know yet.

But the funny thing is that everyone was previously saying it would be a catastrophe straight away, and now it hasn't the excuse is "well we haven't actually brexit yet!"

See this, it's from one of the most pro-EU paper.

theguardian.com/business/2016/jul/20/bank-of-england-agents-report-business-as-usual-after-brexit-eu-referendum

theguardian.com/business/2016/aug/23/uk-economic-surveys-defy-brexit-fears

As for trade deals

New Zealand. Not only are they wanting a deal - they will offer the services of their best negotiators for other deals we will be doing across the globe.
telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/29/new-zealand-offers-uk-its-top-trade-negotiators-for-post-brexit/

Australia
South Korea
rt.com/business/350213-south-korea-uk-trade/
India
uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-india-idUKKCN0ZN2O7
Ghana
pulse.com.gh/business/after-brexit-ghana-britain-trade-talks-begin-immediately-hannah-tetteh-id5188747.html

Iceland:
independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-uk-eu-referendum-latest-iceland-norway-greenland-faroe-islands-a7105641.html
icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/politics_and_society/2016/06/25/brexit_is_good_news_says_president_of_iceland/
Canada:
cbc.ca/news/politics/brexit-ceta-canada-eu-trade-deal-1.3650708

Also Colombia, Hong Kong, Indonesia (offered day 1 of brexit!), Brazil and others missed.

This guy is waay to altruistic. Keeps talking about giving our diverse communities more interaction and education.. Nigger they DON'T WANT ANY OF THAT. He talks like all the problems are the white peoples faults. The problems of globalization aren't the shitskins, but the native whites. We don't need to be more tolerant, we are. It's the shitskins that absolutely refuse to get along with us. Its the shitskins that commit rampant crime. God damnit he ignores all the real problems and points the finger at ingnorance and racism. Fucking leftists.

>by discussing recent events that have to do with the course

Except you'd only be speculating.

>Probably as a way to break the ice and have the classmates get to know one another

I think your professor will find your peers' knowledge on Brexit something left to be desired. Despite its foreign policy, American isolationism is still in effect.

I'm curious about this, as on the surface it all looks like all he wanted was an heir really badly. Going so far as executing his wives.

That guy?

rsc.ox.ac.uk/people/alexander-betts

Man is a certified cucklord

>His research focuses on the international politics of asylum, migration and humanitarianism with a geographical focus on Sub-Saharan Africa. He is author or editor of numerous books, including Protection by Persuasion: International Cooperation in the Refugee Regime (Cornell University Press, 2009), Refugees in International Relations (with Gil Loescher, Oxford University Press, 2010), Global Migration Governance (Oxford University Press, 2011), UNHCR: The Politics and Practice of Refugee Protection (with Gil Loescher and James Milner, Routledge 2012), Survival Migration: Failed Governance and the Crisis of Displacement (Cornell University Press, 2013), and Implementation and World Politics: How International Norms Change Practice (with Phil Orchard, Oxford University Press, 2014).

>everyone was previously saying it would be a catastrophe
their only know how to control the population through fear

The economic argument has been done to death. It would probably be more interesting if you went down the cultural route. Britain is geographically in Europe but doesn't really consider itself European. This is relevant as the EU pushes the idea of 'European identity' in its propaganda. The U.K., specifically England, is the last country in Europe where that kind of shtick would gain any traction. Brits are a proud island people who have stood up against tyranny on the continent countless times. This aspect interests me the most regarding Brexit and it could impress your British teacher.

Brits love an underdog. All the 'big whigs' telling eurosceptics how stupid they were probably motivated even more to vote to leave.

He's going to give us a primer on his opinion of Brexit after the students have discussed for an hour.

If you were an ex-pat Brit teaching British history at a college in the US, wouldn't you want to see what the average college student thought about the current political climate of your home country?

Everything I don't like is Hitler.

Thanks Nederbro, that's a good point

Interdasting, would Denmark consider leaving if we get a good deal?

I'm not sure if I'd be able to bear the disappointment of it. But at least he sounds like someone whose heart is in the right place and is bound to make the classes interesting.

Modern history in general is often just diatribe regurgitated.

>Brits are a proud island people who have stood up against tyranny on the continent countless times.

Most of the time it was the Brits exerting influence over mainland Europe. We were their Middle East.

I watched it all unfold. The interesting point was how divided the country was. The liberal, progressive thinking, city-dwelling elite simply could not believe that Brexit would win because they moved in like-minded circles and didn't mingle with working class people, the ones whom directly feel the brunt of low-skilled labour immigration.

Interestingly there was another element however. The free-market libertarians and those wanting British sovereignty to be paramount. The EU is protectionist but a free market internally and many capitalists in the UK felt it was holding us back from trade deals with others.

This is evident as TTIP has basically failed now. Huehue

He's a great professor, I've had him before. And there's a sizable number of history majors on campus who keep well abreast of current events, this isn't going to be a reddit comment-tier discussion.

Napoleon, the Kaiser, Hitler etc all threatened the British mainland directly.

Here is a good one.

therebel.media/england_bans_its_flag_to_avoid_potentially_offending_muslims_on_st_george_s_day

They aren't even allowed to fly their own flag.

why haven't the britbongs activated article 50 yet?

I hope you have an insightful and productive discussion, then.

Because Britain declared war on them.

We don't have a plan the civil service are developing options but needless to say it's a complex decision.

polish imigrant here. we want brexit we want europian union to colapse . brexit means no more criminals from east europe- that mean you brits will stop puting as(god workers) to one bag with scums from east europe. brexit is great for economy . fuck "free market" germany cant allow themself to stop or interupt trade with uk

Talk about the huge divides in our society today.
Cosmopolitan, well off people in London and Brighton could not believe wewould ever vote to leave. They could not believe we don't see the "economic benefit" of the EU and that we're fed up of mass migration.

At the same time, these people, the winners of globalisation never visit Clacton, or Boston, or Barnsley or Sunderland. The downtrodden, who've had a pay freeze since the 2008 crash, those who don't benefit from globalisation.
It's a big uprising by the working classes against the political and economic elites of this country and most of the world.

I think the whole thing can be summed up by the anecdote of an economist in a talk on the EU in the North-East, when he started talking about how leaving the EU would mean GDP would be X% lower in 2030 the response shouted by one man in the crowd was
>That's your bloody GDP, not ours

>the rebel

Hi Lauren, are you still single?

Cameron was so confident of winning he stopped the civil service drawing up exit plans as contingency. Useless pigfucker he was.

Thank you, Slavoj

Happy fisting!

don't tell me you aren't going to do it

We will, see The Brexit Minister (yes, this is now a position) wants to activate article 50 in January once the government has had time to get its act together and get a united position to fight for.

Redpill me on this man

Why does his accent induce ASMR?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

MOGG IS OURS FUCK OFF FATYANK!!

He's posh. Also completely based.
youtube.com/watch?v=GaeLUIqlDFQ

Honestly, first time I heard him speak on Sky News the night of Brexit, I thought to myself: "this is the most quintessentially British man I have ever heard or seen"

>inb4 baking competition winner

Because they invaded an ally of Britain's...the same mistake they made in WW1.

>>inb4 baking competition winner
That article was written by a fellow paki who writes for the grauniad anyway.

Rees-Mogg is actually a very popular MP amongst his own constituents. Because an MP only represents an electorate of 75k on average they can meet constituents far more regularly than US representatives.
His constituency is rural.

Would you rush going into a negotiating room with a set time limit? No, you'd prepare first.

although preparation is key i just hope that it isn't 'forgotten about' or delayed indefinitely.

At this stage the sooner the better I say