Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=anSPG0TPf84
youtube.com/watch?v=Zfln34nWndw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Corporations will always find a away around the rules in order to make money

money>people.

Really REALLY rich guys played everyone and made even more money.the end

> Our plucky heros decide to get rich off a broken system
> We're supposed to feel sorry for them when their efforts seem to be in vain when the government and banks attempt to avert financial catastrophy
> Thankfully the system does partially collapse so our heroes get rich.

It's Margin Call for plebs

Let's get Margot Robbie in a Jacuzzi with champagne to explain
youtube.com/watch?v=anSPG0TPf84

All the hot celebrities "explaining" things was cringy as fuck.

Chuck crashed the economy and left no survivors because he is a big guy.

You are retarded, if you think that was the message of the movie.

It wasn't Too Big to Fail. Plus Lehman was huge and wasn't bailed out. You people have no idea what you're talking about as usual.

The message was "any time you let the government deregulate big banks and crawl into bed with them, you can guaran-fucking-tee the only person really getting fucked is the little guy."

It's already getting set up to happen again, in near record time.

Basically it was how nobody was being accountable or responsible. Securities are a great idea and finance millions of people's portfolios/pensions/retirements, but when someone takes out a mortgage (or 2+), and neither the banks, mortgage brokers, CDO managers, or government have any personal stake in the money that's is moving around then bubbles pop and normal people get fucked. The only thing I didn't like about the movie was that it didn't show that it was literally EVERYONES fault. Also this was dumb

That wasn't the big message of that particular movie at all. That movie basically just explains a bubble and how hard it is to pop or predict when it's going to pop even if you know it's a bubble, in babby terms to plebs.

Like I just said, the message that you described is more of a Too Big to Fail thing.

I just watched Logan Lucky, and that's how I feel. But seriously? The Big Short was awesome. I had to watch it like 10 times and use Google a few, but I ended up understanding. The guys in the movie pretty much bet against the housing economy and that it would pop, they really thought it was going to happen, so they bet on it.

No offence, but you're really dumb. I hope you knew that already.

I did. But you misspelled offense.

They're both correct. Offense is just the preferred form in the US. Since English isn't my native language, I just use whatever form I read the most.

why are you continuing to engage me in conversation?

I'm bored.

not even close

its about how things go the way they go if there is profit to be made.

the entire movie is not about the predictions of bubbles but indeed about how almost everyone was profiting from a literal scam, and not only did they feed the fire, these so called finance experts would SHUT IT DOWN at every opportunity.

Why do you think I'm dumb?

The movie explains things really dumbed down and the concept you took away from it after watching it 10 times and using google (a thing I applaud btw) is like the most basic premise of the movie. It's literally in the title of the movie.

If you know what a short is (which they explain in the movie) and you know that it is possible to short a market segment (which they also tell you in the movie and you don't even have to understand how that's possible) then you can understand that basic premise of the movie.

Prove me wrong faggot

People didn't even know how the economy worked, like betting against it was even possible. Some people I know still don't understand how they made money. I just described the movie.

Some rich fags got even richer by betting on millions of people getting fucked in the face and did absolutely nothing to stop it, warn people, or help those affected afterwards. We're supposed to like them though, because they fucked over some big evil banks and they're democrats because Obama bailed them all out. Hence we get this soapy titwank of a movie that tries to make you like these guys as if there's anything likeable about any of them

>its about how things go the way they go if there is profit to be made

In economics (and in life in general) that statement is like saying the sky is blue. That's like saying the theme of a romantic movie is that "people tend to fall in love".

If you think bubbles are literal scams, then you don't understand what bubbles are.

People didn't what a short is 2 years ago? Seriously?

I agree that the "good guys" aren't "good guys" (I also don't think they're "bad guys btw). Most noticeably the last part where Steve Carell gives that retarded speech before caching in on his shorts is stupid.

However, I totally disagree that
a) the banks were evil
b) they were fighting against said evil banks (that's just simply not how investing works)
c) they didn't warn people/ did nothing to stop it (they did exactly that)

Also, I'm confused who you think was bailed out. Unless I misread you, you seem to imply that the investment firms were bailed out, which makes no sense.

>86933682
Some people still don't.

Well, yes, obviously most people won't know what a short is.That's normal and will always be the case. People have different interests and specializations. I'm obviously talking about people who are in the financial world or at least are seriously educated about it.

>People didn't even know how the economy worked.
Understanding how the economy works is waaaay more complex than knowing how a short works btw. There are a million steps in between.

>If you think bubbles are literal scams, then you don't understand what bubbles are.

If you think artificially propping up the value of bonds in order to sell them to people who wouldn't otherwise buy them, then actively working to continue overstating their value until you could find suckers willing to buy them while also seeking to purchase "insurance" on whatever remained in your possession, if you think *that* is a bubble, you not only don't know what a bubble is, you also don't have one ounce of ethics in your entire constitution.

this movie felt like it was filmed in 48 hours. all bales scenes were in one room. do psueds really like this?

Goys playing Jews

not as good as this desu

>If you think bubbles are literal scams, then you don't understand what bubbles are.

The property bubble was the secondary result of unethical banking practices which, in turn, was a secondary effect of the US obsession with deregulation. The bubble itself wasn't a scam but it sure as shit resulted from one.

>gov encourage homeownership
>homeowners have shitty credit
>banks sell off the mortgages to investment banks so they have incentives to give loans to literally anyone
>investment banks package the mortgages into mortgage backed securities
>shit is too complicated to calculate risk so they just pay off rating agencies to get good ratings
>investors all around the world buy these mortgage backed securities because they have good ratings
>default rates start going up and everyone realises they're holding trash
>banks, home loan groups and insurance groups collapse
>smart people who bought credit default swaps to insure against defaults make money

Basically without regulations banks will just do anything to make money

That's not how it goes in real life.

In real life, people decide what to sell/buy something for, by looking at what other people are selling/buying things for. If the determining the value of a particular good or service can become pretty subjective and "wishy-washy" soon like is the case with derivatives, then this will lead to bubbles until the moment that people realize that the value has reached a level that is objectively ridiculous and don't believe it to keep rising. The problem with this however is -like I said- that the value is determined by what people are willing to pay for it, so as long as people believe the value of something will go up in time, then the sellers are correct in selling it for higher and higher prices because buyers value it at that value (see dotcom IPO's and the current crypto-race).

Nobody is "scamming" anyone, people are just speculating on a bubble getting bigger and bigger, which is a self-for filling prophecy, until it pops.

>In economics (and in life in general) that statement is like saying the sky is blue. That's like saying the theme of a romantic movie is that "people tend to fall in love"

wew lad

>It's all da banks fault
Maybe poorfag retards shouldn't have taken out mortgages well beyond what they could afford.

>But muh home has to be a 500k 5 bedroom suburban development and I need two cars and more loans

Deregulation isn't bad on itself but if you admit bubbles themselves aren't scams, I will give you that deregulation+government bailouts is a recipe for disaster and indeed causes bubbles.

stupid leftist anti-job creator propaganda to defend our libtard dictator obunga

This

>calls other people retarded
>thinks the big short movie was about how hard bubbles and bubble bursting are hard to predict
Fucking hilarious. Dunning Kruger in action

Well, I did it get it - but then again, I am much smarter than you are. Indeed I am most likely the smartest person on this board right now.

No wonder people hate economics, the stuff they explain in the movie is simple as fuck to understand. Anyone can learn what happened with mortgage backed securities in under 5 minutes

I was being sarcastic about the evil banks and the stars "fighting" them

I don't know what you mean about the warning people though. Maybe in their own circles but for example when they go to that guys house and doesn't tell him shit about what's going to happen. Sure you can say it would have achieved nothing but this movie goes to such great length to paint these guys as the heroes that I always need to point it out

Bailout line is superfluous basically just pointing out this movie was made, portraying these guys as heroes because they're all democrats. I can't resist shitting on them

This fucking video man. Dude flat out says he sold shitbonds and they fucking applaud the guy because everyones a fucking retard i guess

youtube.com/watch?v=Zfln34nWndw

I never said identifying bubbles that are going to burst is hard. In fact that is fairly easy most of time. I said predicting WHEN a bubble will burst, even if you identify something as a bubble, is hard.

a lot of people warned about it, but people "predict" crashes every day of the week, it become a chicken little situation

>I don't know what you mean about the warning people though. Maybe in their own circles but for example when they go to that guys house and doesn't tell him shit about what's going to happen. Sure you can say it would have achieved nothing but this movie goes to such great length to paint these guys as the heroes that I always need to point it out

mm fair point

>The only thing I didn't like about the movie was that it didn't show that it was literally EVERYONES fault.

Only irritating direction the movie had. Kept referring to "those letting this happen" and then never exposed "those". The amount of manipulation overseeing/having oversight over F & F, securities/investment entities etc... went unscathed.

Also those stupid enough to "purchase" houses they could not afford. A 10 year old can figure out that ARMs can quickly fuck you up if the rates go up.

Reading peoples economics ideas on Sup Forums is like reading thermodynamic theory on /x/. Complete and disastrous piles of shit.

Stick Bane's fantasy tax policy Sup Forums

And yes Big Short is just the proletariat version of Margin Call which did it much better without the celebrity low IQ exposé inserts.

>the stuff they explain in the movie is simple as fuck to understand.

You are vastly overestimating the average intelligence of the American population.

>EVERYONES fault.

Yeah I remember being 18 at the time of the housing collapse, a collage freshman, watching the economy collapse around me and thinking this is clearly Everyone's fault! I remember my role in this so clearly, how I personally contributed to this problem. I mean I hadn't even voted in an election yet, I had never bought a house, had never worked for a bank, had never advised on economic policy form government, and I had yet to buy or sell my first mortgage back security or insurance policy.

But clearly I am to blame for this system and its collapse.

>And yes Big Short is just the proletariat version of Margin Call which did it much better without the celebrity low IQ exposé inserts.

Margin Call didn't bother explaining anything.

>is that real?
>hmm, yeah, oh that's pretty bad
>we're selling everything guys

I like Margin Call but, let's be honest, if the writers knew anything about the GFC, they didn't demonstrate it.

You know taking things 100% literally is a sign of autism, right?

Obviously he didn't mean children or homeless people or people who didn't take out stupid loans or investors who didn't invest in mortage backed securities or the president of Cameroon etc etc..

His point is that mostly everyone who was involved, top to bottom, buyer and seller, were at least partly to blame.

Bill Clinton was a retard and fucked America in the ass. Only a matter of time till it's gonna happen again

>the US government forcing banks to make house loans to people clearly unqualified to receive them is deregulation
Dude free shit etc etc etc

Since Carter and Reagan, the US government raised deposit insurance limits, allowed banks to provide adjustable-rate mortgages and allowed banks to accrue debt far in excess of their capital reserves.

Incentivising home loans was far less important than the fact that the entire derivatives market was self-(read, not at all) regulated.

>give banks government backing on all their money
>incentivizes banks to do whatever they want because Uncle Sam will be there to pick up the tab on deposits
>dude the answer is more government

only thing i remember was deregulation was a mistake or something

also its gonna happen again

>dude the answer is more government

There are 2 solutions. Either you are willing to let the banks collapse or you regulate them.

Turns out that the world probably won't function very effectively if the American banking sector collapses so the first option seems like a pretty bad idea.