/lang/ – Language Learning General

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Learning resources:
First and foremost check the Sup Forums wiki (feel free to contribute)
>4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check pastebin.com/ACEmVqua for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:

MEGA folder with books for all kinds of languages:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Previously on /lang/: complain about how you're not fluent after two weeks of Duolingo.
Also

Attached: lang.png (1900x922, 2.65M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3c1eBNKmWls
youtube.com/watch?v=WJyzs12NCAI
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/huruf/lhdifindchogekmjooeiolmjdlheilae
goethe-verlag.com/book2/EN/ENFA/ENFA002.HTM
goethe-verlag.com/book2/_VOCAB/EN/ENFA/ENFA.HTM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Should I learn Afrikaans if I like Rhodesian and South African history? I wanted to do Russian or Chinese, but it's a bit intimidating and Afrikaans seems like a good place to learn the basics of how a language and language acquisition works.

Learn what you what you enjoy the most. If you're forcing yourself to learn a lang you're just going to end up quitting.
Eurofags need to keep this thread alive while we sleep.

>South African history
youtube.com/watch?v=3c1eBNKmWls

TRANSLATION CHALLENGE
>More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost. The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men, cries out for universal brotherhood, for the unity of us all.
-Charlie Chaplin, The Great Dictator

>posting le meme far right woman

bu,p

Hủaq go pó báq kẻa fi pó báq rẻq lî chỉa súqjī da. Ru hủaq go lî mỏijōe na lî pảigī ru lî rủogōaq da. Shè pó sia hói hủaq bi, tủe hỉao báq tủe mỉe na, ru shải báq tu gí da. Cả jẻaq chẻo jủi go súqjī pó báq rỉochāo ga ru pó báq rảdīo da. Cải sủe báq lủ rỏajēo hói mủ fỉeq na túq rẻq lî shảogī ru lî chẻo sỏa ru lî chẻo jẻq da.

>ruogoaq
A is gentle to B
>roajeo
A is naturally B

What language is this?

Mandarin but i stuck on intonations.

Started Korean some time ago, going through few vocab courses on memrise and started TTMIK lessons

Second bit was a bit too hard for me, but first four sentences
>More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost. The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together.
بیشتر از دستگاه ها بشریت را لازم داریم.
بیشتر از هوش, مهربانی و خوش خیمی را.
بی اینها ویزگی ها , زندگی پرخشونت خواهد بود و همه گم خواهد شده.
هواپیما و رادیو ما با هم را نزدیکتر آورده است .

I then tried to vocaroo it but I kept tripping over all the new words ;_;

Plutôt que machinerie nous avons besoin de humanité. Plutôt que sagacité nous avons besoin de gentillesse et douceur. Sans ces qualités, la vie deviendra violente et la bonne volonté sera perdue. L'avion et la rádio ont diminué les distances parmi les gens. La propre nature de ces inventions demontre la bonne nature chez les hommes, elle aussi appelle pour la fraternité universelle et pour l'unité de tous.

do you already know Hanja?

No

Can any Indiabros help me improve my Hindi? I can read and write and understand a fair amount, but my vocabulary is still rather small.

Duolingo Hungarian

REEEEEEEEE

Attached: reeeeee.png (778x935, 87K)

Oh.. Nothing...

Cʰal ti xhuilûnal êpoel iţkuil

Attached: 0e8ffd8029246ef5a726976e177bd917.jpg (500x480, 53K)

bump

this has got to be the ugliest written language i have ever seen

ich bin lernen duetsch. Es ist nein seid einfach. Ich richtig. Duo lingo ist arbeitin gut. Ich versthe kleinen heute.

Nice pasta.

>Duolingo

Attached: (1).gif (250x250, 407K)

and hopefully without sounding like a shill
I recommend the youtuber Matt vs Japan, good content about language immersion (based on Japanese but applicable in general)

I've learned English so far lurking on chans and playing TIBIA.
r8 mee m8

*so far by lurking
Really good desu. English is a really simple language but has retarded rules.

cool m8
dunno why you responded to that post specifically though..?

It's good for learning extremely basic vocabulary and nothing else.

its correct, ignore duolingo

btw when the sentence is something like
>ezek előtt az iskolák előtt ....
we usually just say
>ezek az iskolák előtt ....

Report and they will fix it.

All the Duolingo Hungarian volunteers have quit. No one will fix anything

:)) Thanks

>cars
>standing

Maybe you were marked wrong because the verb stand isn't usually used for cars?

Ich gedenken dein Deutsche ist sehre Gut! Behalt an Gehen!

Have s'more then
Also I'm working on some unconventional learning strategies, will post soon-ish

Attached: lang save.jpg (1200x865, 363K)

Was about to respond seriously but the Duolingo mention made it too obvious

I've never seen anyone mention Antimoon here
it's a site by 2 Polish guys who learnt English

recommended for all

Attached: Capture.jpg (952x632, 87K)

> How to learn English
> Step 3: Avoid mistakes

Wow thanks Polen

B-but I already know English desu senpai baka-chan

>Avoid mistakes
Wtf dude I always got wrong at this one ! Thanks you so much I'm fluent now !

Attached: DVWb60DWkAAUXaM.jpg large.jpg (425x530, 40K)

I can definitely vouch for everything here. In fact, that website is the foundation on which /djt/'s guide is made from
>dude just speak the language bro who cares if you make mistakes lmao
That, is what the website is advising against when it says 'make no mistakes', and to instead pronounce properly from day 1, no buts no ifs.

Attached: meme.jpg (680x881, 215K)

Mehr als Maschinerie brauchen wir die Menschheit. Mehr als die Klugheit brauchen wir Freundlichkeit und [?]. Ohne diese Qualitäten, wird das Leben heftig und alles wird verloren sein. Das Flugzeug und das Radio hat uns näher zusammen gebracht. Das Wesen dieser Erfindungen schreit nach der Güte der Menschen, schreit nach der [?] Bruderschaft, für die Vereinigung von uns allen.

This one killed me, had to look up a bunch of verbs and nouns, although that's how you learn these things anyway.

Looks like Vietnamese

looks to be toaq (a conlang)

Except that's an awful advice, of course you want to make as few mistakes as possible but for beginners and intermediary learners that's simply not possible because there are too many grammar rules, vocabulary and exceptions that constitute a language.

That's the mistake most language learners do, they focus too much on having perfect sentences and they end up being able to only make basic sentences after months of studying because they feel like they are never ready to make new steps, except learning a language isn't about learning vocabulary lists and applying grammar points to them. And the more they try to learn perfectly the less efficient they are in their language learning. MOST UNDERRATED AND COMMON MISTAKE = STICKING TO THE BEGINNER BOOKS TO LONG

Of course it doesn't mean "lmao who cares", you still have to be curious and to check if you are writing or pronouncing words properly, but as long as you regularly check what you are doing you don't need to learn perfectly everything, 20% will stick automatically and you can try to learn the rest consciously, if you hit a 60% to 80% rate of recognition then you are fine you don't need to go higher you can go to the next material.

Brains are the most efficient when there is repetition, novelty and interest. By trying to not make mistakes from the get-go you cut yourself from novelty and interest. The result is that you make your language learning experience painful and inefficient, if you try to actively memorize all the grammar and vocab you encounter you might manage to learn 80% of it and then the 20% that are left will be incredibly painful to learn you will keep forgetting them again and again, because your brain will be fed up from the repetitions.

Language learning isn't about learning a set of rules and applying them. It's about learning a way of speaking/thinking, it's about automatisms and behaviours.

Attached: 29216135_10215962433883495_2171032756115472384_n.jpg (425x600, 35K)

You're very passionate about language learning.
Keep on going

That's typically how people burnout on Anki, they want to be cool, they put a 25/50/100word limit. They do well at first, but learning a word means forgetting it 3 to 4 times. So after a few days or weeks, they realise that they forgot most of the words yet the words keep adding up but they are also bored because anki is a very raw it's not a pleasant way of learning a language especially if you overdo it. They keep doing because "I'm not like the other memelords" then eventually they reach 10% of their base objective and they get disappointed and stop. OR they reduce it to a ridicule thing like 5 words a day, it's not challenging, there isn't enough novelty, by the end of the week they broke the streak.

What works best to learn a language ?
A good method that you enjoy doing. That's basically it, anki works, the golden rule works, many type of exercise work, and they work particularly well when you enjoy doing them and vary them.

It doesn't mean that everything works, I think that duolinguo sucks, as well as most language learning youtube channel and books. I'm not gonna explain what makes a good method tho cause I have to study now.

But as long as a method stimulates your brain properly, that you know how to use it wisely, and that you didn't force yourself to do it for hours on end then usually you are doing pretty good. With that, at the intermediary level just farm manga/show/novel/movies/series in the language you are learning. And for advanced learners read books, I mean literature, not some light novel, because you need to be used to non casual forms of the language which is pretty hard to do.

Attached: 29244130_10215962434843519_2147626524382068736_n.jpg (850x901, 66K)

Mas que maquinaria necesitamos humanidad. Mas que inteligencia necesitamos bondad y gentileza. Sin esas cualidades, la vida sera violenta y todo se perderá. El avión y la radio nos han unido. La naturaleza de esas invenciones llama a la bondad en los hombres, llama a la hermandad universal, por la unidad de todos nosotros.

Lol that’s retarded, children make tons of grammatical mistakes when they are young

Making mistakes is important - you are never going to know 100% your target language from day one. I didn't for Ithkuil - but that shit didn't stop me

Ušlawâsond qei? Zz...

>âpkal âzvuilali êkšöél

Attached: avatar_265.jpg (300x300, 20K)

I just reached a bit of a milestone today. After ~200 private calls on HelloTalk on my record I had my first call with 2 French cuties at the same time. They were both checking out the app because one was recommending it to the other one that was over for a visit. I convinced one of them to have a call with my usual routine, we talked together and I managed to impress both of them with my French. Awesome.

I'm looking for a German language news website with somewhat easy/intermediate language. It goes without saying that it has to be from Germany (Hochhdeutsch) and no tabloids, kids news or websites with oversimplified
articles (like those from nachrichtenleicht). Something standard and not too hard. I've been looking over Die Zeit and Deutschland.de, do you guys have any suggestions?

How much difference is there between Ukrainian and Russian?

Soon you will lose your virginity

Die Bild

Should I learn Afrikaans just because?

I probably won't use it, but I heard it's extremely easy to learn

very little. i remember meeting a Ukrainian guy who shared some sort of Ukrainian biscuit with me. I looked at the package and said jeez this looks a lot like Russian. He got so upset and insisted that they are NOT the same and indeed there are many great differences between the two despite the fact that they can speak their own languages and understand each other just fine. It just stunk of a sense of inferiority.

Don't you think it was just to reaffirm his nationality, kinda like croatians do towards serbians? I remember reading here that ithey are quite similar, kinda like spanish and portuguese.

>Don't you think it was just to reaffirm his nationality

yes absolutely. it reminded me of how canadians pretend they are different from americans

bump

Pls don't die. I want this thread to be here when I wake up since my ex won't be

This thread isn't for your pity parties

It was just a bump with some flavor, friend

what language should I learn if I want to read the best books and watch better than okay movies

English

Alright alright, fair enough lads. Second best

youtube.com/watch?v=WJyzs12NCAI
Can someone tell me what the chorus (1:07) is?
"Sicherheit, für die ganze Welt, sicherheit [???] Eis"

Also the updated version is way better but I can't find it on YT

Actually "Eis" is probably wrong too

>You have lost your wager. Better luck next time!

Attached: breadface.gif (255x164, 939K)

>starting to learn arabic
>can't read any text in a browser without zooming in on the page a fuck ton

Who decided this would be a good idea

Attached: 1521243680626.jpg (957x621, 90K)

>can't read any text in a browser without zooming in on the page a fuck ton

KEK

Why do you want to learn french if you have a distaste for it? You'll be better off learning a language you are passionate about

I should learn French but I kinda deny doing so.
I think I acquired some type of apathy for France from someone who I used to hate, and since the person in question liked French things, I unconsciously started disliking everything related to France.
Pure autism. I need help. Pls someone encourage me.

I don't think apathy is the word you want

Or deny

boink

Every second I study Dutch I worry that I that would be enjoying German more.

Unless you have a reason to learn Dutch I'd recommend German. While German is harder (or rather, Dutch dropped a lot of annoyance that made German is hard), Dutch is harder to pronounce and its speakers are fewer in number and more likely to speak English anyway

Good resources for learning French? Other than Duolingo... (learning a romance language through English when you're already romance-native is kind of ass backwards)

Attached: bf5770375bdf83854e0918a9b5b8a092.jpg (718x899, 67K)

Google the best textbooks for French and pirate a PDF; whenever you learn a new concept do all of the exercises, find more online and keep doing them until you understand it

bumpe

It was a meme but i have to say youre too nice for Sup Forums ;_;

Guys, recommend me a good Russian book (in term of content) for B1 level Russian learner. It's mostly so I can learn how normal people talk like.

The Erast Fandorin series

>The Erast Fandorin
Thanks senpai.

What happens in these threads?

Get huruf.

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/huruf/lhdifindchogekmjooeiolmjdlheilae

we discuss languages and learning them.

Anyone here ever learn a language through your 2nd or 3rd language? This is one of my goals, but I'm not sure which one I want to use to learn the new one. Got a few years left at least.

Is there a good mouseover dictionary for languages other than Japanese? I imagine if I spent less time on dictionary lookups, I'd be able to read more.

Are you interested in learning a language?!?!!? Look no further my man! This is a thread dedicated to discussing languages, experiences with learning languages, and helping other learn languages. The first step for you would be to find out what language you want to learn, so do that first. Protip: picking a language based on weak grounds (ie “it sounds cool”, “it will help me find a job”, “i will make money somehow”) will only lead to you giving up because you need strong motivation to be able to keep trudging through the process of language learning, which takes a while. Instead, you should only pick a language that you are GENUINELY interested in.

What's the best way to learn vocabulary? My target language is Persian, btw.

Assuming you already have a base vocab, read read read, listen listen listen, watch watch watch. Write down shit you don't know, and learn that.

Watch children comics

>Assuming you already have a base vocab
Not really, about a hundred words or so.

In that case, memrise. anki, whatever and just spam base vocab there until you have like 1k words known. Also, I have these two links in my bookmarks
>goethe-verlag.com/book2/EN/ENFA/ENFA002.HTM
>goethe-verlag.com/book2/_VOCAB/EN/ENFA/ENFA.HTM

Okay, thanks dust-e-man.
What books do you own?

Lonely Planet's Persian phrasebook and dictionary
Teach Yourself Complete Persian (Modern Persian/Farsi)

>Teach Yourself Complete Persian (Modern Persian/Farsi)
I heard that book is no good. I bought Living Language Spoken World.

It's pretty mediocre yeah, but it is what I have. I use a lot of digital resources too anyway. I can also recommend Pimsleur as such and just check out the resources in
tinyurl dot com slash persian012