Arguments against and in support of extending human life expectancy

Before we begin let us take a moment to understand what we are discussing here.

We as a species are quickly approaching a new age in human development, one in which the progress of our human form currently guided by natural evolution will soon be shifted into our own hands. Science is currently, if not already, creating tools capable of manipulating our genome. In this thread we will be focusing on the positive and negative outcomes that can arise from EXTENDING HUMAN LIFE EXPECTANCY through the use of genetic manipulation.

I have pondered the idea in my head for quite some time to try to produce a list of good and bad things that can result from this.

Let's begin with the bad. We will be discussing 1 negative effect/outcome for today.

Number one; If humans are able to live for an indefinite amount of time, this will drastically increase the human population to the point of developing cataclysmic disasters both to the environment and society.

As we are currently living in a time where the human population is fast approaching 8 billion. As it stands most of the human population is not living at a standard level of living when compared to western societies. We will not be getting into the possibility of change to economic politics and or philosophies, we will only focus on a future where our idea of economic governance remain widely unchanged. (i.e. capitalism)

When looked into further, many of the global population grown has been originating from countries that are widely poverty striken. As such my first argument is brought forth; If there is a large correlation between poverty and drastic population growth, then there needs to be certain requirements for treatment that extend human life expectancy.

Let's take a moment to discuss any realistic requirements and or other solutions to prevent certain groups of people that are prone to be barred from receiving these treatments or solutions to stop them from having children.

What is going on in this webm

wut da fug

How about if you extend your life/become immortal you get sterilized? Why don't we develop a virus that sterilizes all Africans and Indians?

mate desu I work as a ICU nurse and we already keep people alive way beyond the best before date because no one gets to die and relatives are fucking retarded keeping grandma alive like a hamster in a cage at the alzheimers care home.
only good genetic manipulation would be to freeze the aging process at 25-30 and I don't see that ever coming.

I don't know what's going on here, but I like it.

would extend life into her

this is really upsetting

What the fuck is going on in that webm?

That's an interesting idea, I guess you'd have to get your sperm cells frozen for long term storage huh?

You'd be surprised, don't be so pessimistic.

I like you.

Either basic income paid for by the benefits of automation, or you take all the poor people who want to live forever and make them settle new planets to get the treatment.

As shitty as it sounds I think the second might actually be more sustainable.

Google Chao Haotian. Now take his plan and turn it against the world's poorest, and you have the solution to global overpopulation.

i feel violated

Is this a YouTube guide to being a serial killer? Explain this weird shit.

that webm is making my butthole moist

Neat.

its fantasy sex from kaylaobey.

The large majority of those 8 billion come from shitholes like africa china and india, comparing them to your average citizen on the western world is ridiculous and trying to reduce the population on the west is retarded.

Interesting I'll check it out, can you give me a brief description of his purposed plan?

I'd suck the bone marrow out of newborns if it meant I lived another day. I'll do anything and I'll pay anything I can to extend my life.

I think the dude is just stretching her, I don't see how someone can die like that.

Never mentioned a reduction of western people

fuck's this webm?

t. Genghis Khan

You need religion then, you fucking hedonist.

>I'd suck the bone marrow out of newborns if it meant I lived another day.
>I'll do anything and I'll pay anything I can to extend my life.

BRAKE UR BAC K MAKE U HUMBLE BUBBA PUT THE CAMEL CLUTCH FUK UR ASSHOLE

That's a bit heinous don't you think?

The problem is, you're looking at the society rather than the individual. It is natural for people to evade death, and immortality is the logical extension of it. As long as the quality of this lived life is consistent, most people when looking into their own grave will chose to live forever, and its their right as individuals to do so.

>Overpopulation
It's really not an issue. People adjust.

>Standard of living of the poor
The poor don't get to live forever.

>Population growth is linked to poverty
It's not.

>Video Webm.

What are we looking at here, Sup Forums?

And why am I fully erect?

With proloning life through gene therapy, i.e. extending the "chomosomes" back to the "original" level, you will age back a bit actually. It is possible (so far in theory, probably in practice in 15-20 years) that you can revese aging going be to post puberty levels.

Nice proxy. All finns welcome death

Religion is just a coping mechanism against mortality, I'd prefer a real solution.

Everyone's an egoist at heart, I'm just honest enough to admit it.

You're wrong and your entire argument is missing the point.

Poor populations are at the forefront of the population boom.

I'm trying to find a way to stop these people from getting their hands on this tech.

There needs to be regulations

Then you should know that trying to reason with them would never work, they'll keep shitting out babies, they will keep asking money and they will keep blaming the west.

You know what? I'm misremembering his name. I read an article many years ago describing a leaked meeting between Chinese generals who were discussing the use of an ethnically targeted bioweapon to kill about two thirds of the US population, prior to the PLA taking over its territory. As far as I recall, the original source for this "leak" was a Falun Gong magazine so take it with a grain of salt.

In any case, if you want to risk WWIII and you value the biosphere more than billions of unproductive brown people, I guess you could release something similar, although I would personally consider sterilization more humane than genocide.

I don't think I can see myself killing newborns to extend my life sorry, I'm not That selfish And demented

>ethnically targeted bioweapon

I'd buy that for a dollar.

I understand, so what solution do you propose we implement to prevent these people from getting life extending technology.

BREAK YOUR BACK MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Okay, let me put this bluntly. Population growth is not linked to poverty. Rapid population growth depends on sufficient wealth and a lowering death rate. The post war boom wasn't linked to poverty, but it was a major population boom.

People in developing countries with rapid population growth are "richer" than they've ever been.

>Poor populations are at the forefront of the population boom.
Yes, until the cost of maintaining children outweighs the benefit of having those children.

>I'm trying to find a way to stop these people from getting their hands on this tech.
Why stop there? Why not just kill the poor?

>There needs to be regulations
Why?

Just kill all niggers. There. Problem solved. Next question.

Not the depressed, we are ready to die, but keep going in hopes of not being depressed someday.

So your plan is to sterilize poor people?

How do you propose human rights groups will feel about this?

instead of extending life expectancy we should strive to extend youth time

Killing the poor is highly immoral and it will lead to a slippery slope where the men on top can wage genocide on anybody who they deem inferior.

It's quite possibly the most dangerous idea imaginable.

>muh spooks
Fuck off nihilniggers

Very immoral, the international community would not support it.

Don't stupe to the easiest but unobtainable option

You won't be able to realistically stop poorer countries from getting hold of this tech, if it approaching as you say. In a situation like this you would have to view the technology as a weapon rather than medicine(I assume here).

All of this about living forever ideas are only going to create schisms and would likely cause all sorts of riots and possibly war.

I think your are projecting your own mental deficiencies on others.

Against
>Soros
>You, promoting that shitty fetish site

Right now in the west, longer human life expectancy and a dependence on welfare has seen baby boomers mass import muds to prop up the tax base so they can continue living (since they didn't produce enough children to look after them).

I guess it will be a handful of billionaires who live forever while encouraging massive overpopulation so they can be fed.

The more I think about it the less I believe we will be able to stop poor populations from achieving this tech.

Governments can't be trusted to regulate bio genetic tech, they can't even regulate military grade weapons.

I think in the end government genocidal population reduction programs under the guise of bio terrorism will be quite common.

Death is just the ultimate challenge to our perception of self

Sterilized, perhaps not.
Though, very strict acceptable procreation standards that are adjusted based on regional loss of life, might be appropriate.

Drastic economic and social change would need to be enacted then, where everyone would essentially have like stupid high taxes and wealth caps, that along with 1 child policies and the sorts would have to be the norm.

You are for restricting the ability of people to live because you have deemed them inferior.

Is the difference between killing and letting significant?

I've never thought i'd be turned on by some dude putting a girl in the camel clutch

The thing about sterilization is that it only takes a handful of specimens to replenish an entire population. Any program we undertake will have to be multifaceted because it's easy for the situation to reverse. Here's an idea that wouldn't have any immediate human rights issues:

Promote feminism. Make it anathema for young African women to not go to university. Encourage humanities. We need a large army of "educated" third worlders to go up against the "ignorant" masses who hold "outdated" and "sexist" ideas about starting a family.

I am apposed to mass genocide, I prefer the idea of "live and let live".

I just want to prevent people that are prone to overpopulate from getting this tech.

After some thought though I believe that it's an unachievable idea.

Unlike weaponry (i.e. nukes) gene manipulation tech will be looked as a human right.

As in; people have a right to genetically modify and improve themselves to stay at the same level of superiority as other humans.

In the end they will get it, and through their decisions they will inevitably cause over population to boom to unprecedented levels.

>/mobile/clip/65841/13209960
>we want the Sup Forums audience

we should colonize mars at least before mass producing it

Fampai, if you are restricting the ability of others to access life extending technology, in what sense are you not removing their agency to live?

How is this different than having a cure for cancer, but not letting people you deem inferior have it?

You're getting to the same point, but you could just be a lot more cheap and efficient and gas the poor.

pls buy and upload, thanks

Why not just be a still?

OK I see where you're coming from now, but actively ending their "suffering" is not the same as letting them die naturally.

>Shoes indoors

Why would anyone want to grow old in this culture anyway? The elderly are treated worse than cattle on most western countries.

>Finland
>Will to live
Nice meme

Is the difference between killing and letting die significant?

Eternal life has no appeal to me... I feel like eventually you'd just get fucking bored.

I doubt it. While relengthening telomeres might have some benefit, there is currently no known way to reverse the incidental mutations that come with everyday cell division. Sooner rather than later, some cells will just be unable to fold critical proteins in to the needed conformation, and they just won't work.

It doesn't fucking matter. No one wants to get old or sick or die. Any restrictions or laws put in place to limit this technology will only apply to the poor and will exacerbate the stratification between the haves and the have nots. The rich will find a way to get what they want and won't give a second thought to the morality or long term consequences of their actions. Further despite sounding complex genetic engineering in reality is the sort of thing you can do in a garage. The only real barrier to entry is obtaining the right plasmids needed to make the packaging cell line for whatever viral vector you're making. The actual equipment involved can be bought used for a few thousand dollars max and the total costs involved would be well below $10,000. I'm pretty sure biological immortality (or whatever other genetic dickery tickles your fancy) is well worth the cost of a used car.

Good point.

I'm going to require a source on this Webm

Is this some kind of massage or chiropractic technique or just some dumb fetish like the watermark implies?

Nice desu.

Looks like a girl that likes to be abused.

>the weak should fear the strong