Worst box office weekend since September 2001

Are you guys ready for the death of cinema?
>No need to sugar coat it, this was a miserable weekend. The combined gross of the top twelve failed to total over $50 million, something that hasn't happened in an August weekend in over 20 years. In fact, the combined $49 million for the top twelve is the worst since the top twelve combined for $43.5 million in late September 2001. Making matters worse, with next weekend seeing no major, new wide releases things aren't going to improve until It arrives on September 8.
boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4319&p=.htm

I go see a movie every weekend (It's only $7 where I live and I just bring a drink/candy from home)

There is just nothing out. Ended up seeing Logan Lucky again this weekend, and unless "Ingrid Goes West" gets a wide enough release to hit me I will probably skip this weekend.

Im real happy about all the Jews in Hollywood losing shekels.

Maybe they'll start making good movies full of white actors again, and a lot less of all that race mixing and fag shit

Other than Star Wars and the new Saw, what’s even left to release this year?

I think this pretty much confirms that IT will be a massive hit unless it gets really bad reviews.

one weekend does not a trend make

two capeshit movies and Blade Runner are the big ones.

>cinema is deader today than during 9/11

top wew

JUSTice League and Thor 3: The Hulkening.

Yeah, it comes out in like a week or so and has been getting rave reviews so far

Next week is going to be even worse.

Thor: Ragnarok
Justice League
IT
That's pretty much it for big releases I think

true, but 2017 is still basically on par with 2015 box-office-wise so far. wouldn't say it's a "death of cinema" scenario

In October we have The Foreigner with Jackie Chan and best Bond (Brosnan) with best Bond director (Martin Campbell).

In November Based Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express comes out with an all-star cast.

>No singles policy killed the cinema.

You know what Hollywood SHOULD do?

More remakes, more reboots, more sequels, more prequels.

More niggerfaggots

I hate stories that aren't introduced in other stories
Everything should be a commercial for something else tbqh

you joke but we're not at the height of this shit yet.

I like your style. You're CEO of Sony now.

>Last week my local cinéma held a screening of The Anvil Hoarder (1936). It was completely full. I could hardly hear myself think over the din of everyone striking their anvils with their hammers in time to the film. Maybe other cinémas could screen this film as well to boost revenue?

>this weekend was literally 9/11 tier

I just looked at deadline's top 10 this week and the studios only have themselves to blame. It's like they saw the Conor fight was on and just gave up.

Shit some theaters were showing the fight.

Snyder cursed the jews when they killed his daughter

Yea to be honest is all just seems scaremongering and the usual whining of the MPAA to go after piracy.
They are fucking fine.

Worse case scenario they are gonna release their films through streaming sites on which case they still are gonna make money, just some Movie theaters are gonna close down, thats it.

If ppl are not going to the movies what are they doing?.
Posting on facebook and watching youtube videos?.

Am sure they are not reading books...

>watching youtube videos
I honestly enjoy watching YouTube over most movies these days. Not many movies have interested me lately.

Well for everything that isn't Wonder Woman anyway. The legs on that film are insane

>COUNTING ON THAT SHITHOUSE REMAKE OF IT TO SAVE THE BOX OFFICE
HOOOBOI ITS ALL OVER, PEOPLE LAUGHED AT THAT TRAILER

THE ONLY DECENT MOVIE ON THE HORIZON IS BLADE RUNNER IN OCTOBER

HONORABLE MENTION IN SEPTEMBER IS THAT RANDOM AMERICAN ASSASSIN MOVIE WITH MICHAEL KEATON, KINGSMAN 2 AND TOM CRUISE PLAYING CIA DRUG PILOT

NONE OF THEM WILL MAKE BLOCKBUSTER MONEY THOUGH

For $0 I can watch the entirety of Critical Role (109 eps @ about 3hrs each) and these normie voice actors put on a better fucking story (And sometimes even better acting) than most A-List movies

They're very talented people. I've played many games with these VAs in them and a lot of them have been more entertaining than Hollywood actors.

ZMF, is that you?

Video games are better than movies anyway. Uncharted is a better "movie series" than most films these days.

Even at their worst they are still consistently more entertaining than 60-70% of films today

top kek

My roommate got free tickets to see whatever on two separate weeks and let them both expire because there was literally nothing to watch at all.

I like film, but video games are much better. Narratives are more diverse, it's more engaging and they're not limited by being realistic/CGI.

That and video games have more value. I'd rather be given one good game than a few movies.

Video games are better forms of media than movies now because they're much more immersive. When everything was pixelated and cheap like during my childhood, I would love seeing those characters on the big screen, or on a TV show, or even during a cartoon or in a comic book, because it was a way to immerse myself in their world in a more detailed way than playing a pixelated game. Now video games have graphics that are close enough to film CG. Where a movie will be 2 hours long and tell, at most, a handful of small stories, a video game can last 100+ hours and not only tell you dozens of stories, but allow you to freely explore and interact with the world you're invested in.

the only movies I pay to see are Marvel kino, Nolan Kino, or Planet of the apes Kino

If any of those arent playing, im not going to the cinema

your twelve or something bro

I was going to go this weekend but what the fuck is there to see?

This would've been the perfect time period to release something like Alien Covenant or another mid-tier blockbuster instead of releasing them during a congested time.