Lovecraftian Movies

Just watched this, apparently it's S. T. Joshi's (Lovecraft's greatest scholar) favourite movie that was "inspired" by the writer of Providence. What other movies would you say were the best adaptations of Lovecraftian themes?

I'd like to mention I Can See You and The Borderlands.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yfJAooq3mTg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump

Based Weir. As far as direct Lovecraft adaptations you have the Stuart Gordon movies, but those are really more like B-horror movies based on Lovecraft's ideas. Zulawski's Possession is a good one. The first Alien also touches on some Lovecraftian stuff when watched in isolation (disregarding the nonsense backstory Scott's trying to tack onto it). I'd also say that some anime like Akira and Evangelion are very Lovecraftian.

First film of his I watch, I'm mesmerized. Gonna watch everything I can get my hands on. Zulawski as well, don't really know why I've never given Possession a chance.

If we're talking about anime/manga, I'm going to name Junji Ito as the most Lovecraftian of the bunch - stuff like Uzumaki or Gyo is paradigm HPL narrative and imagery.

Yeah Junji Ito is totally Lovecraftian, just not film or television. The Uzumaki live action movie probably qualifies, though I've never seen it.

Eh, not as good as the manga by a long shot but it's probably one of the funniest and most unnerving horror/comedies Japan produced beside Hausu.

Also Event Horizon and In the Mouth of Madness are commonly cited as very Lovecraftian. They're both decent but very "90s horror" if that makes sense. ItMoM is kind of cool but very corny. Even Horizon leans heavily on the gore to get its point across, but it's definitely worthwhile.

True Detective S1

Agree with that

Everyone bitches and moans and whines about how there is no good lovecraftian films. How what few do exist are outdated, or cheesy, or just plain bad. When they do laud something as lovecraftian they hold up shit that slaps a tentacle monster or some trite reference to a cult, or unknown cosmic horror.

It pisses me off. The best part of lovecraft isn't the fucking cthulu wad that gets shot at the end. Its the buildup and -INVESTIGATION- of it all. The deep dive a regular policeman or historian or private eye falls into when following leads on a strange case. The only time the cthulu shit means anything is if there is a slow build of madness before it. The journey TO that point. The uncovering of the dark secret.
True Detective was fucking amazing, but had no payoff.

Pic related, however, is one of the greatest lovecraftian films made and yet not a single one of you niggers ever brings it up in these threads. Fuck you faggots. The reason we never get any good shit and instead are served half-assed trash like The Void is because none of you faggots even know what makes a story interesting. You probably can't even rewatch the sixth sense because you're too pleb to understand that the movie is far more than the fucking 'twist'.

dagon

No. TD is not Lovecraftian. Stop with this shit. It's such a stupid meme.

Mate, don't get so mad. I agree with you, that's why I mentioned The Borderlands in my OP - I could also add everything Koji Shiraishi's "esoteric" trilogy, if we want to talk about investigations in horror movies.

>Anti-Hero main character
>Existential dread
>Futility of mankind efforts
>Inbred hick town with secrets
>Characters go insane when confronted with the truth
>Child sacrifice to Elder Gods
>Carcosa, the Yellow King, Black Stars
>Evil aristocracy
>Nihilistic characters
>Bittersweet ending
>The monsters lurking inside us all
Sounds pretty fucking Lovecraftian to me.

Pleb.

>Reddit spacing
>animeme normalfag
>outdated Sup Forums meme
>gen Z's first HBO series
Holy fucking Christ

Is meat train actually a great Lovecraft film? I'm all for sitting down and watching some recommendations.

It's great as is the short story that it's based on.

>Greentexting is now Reddit spacing
I've been posting here since 2006, fucktard. I'd tell you to kill yourself but it seems you lack the self-awareness to follow through.

In the mouth of madness

it's okay

>The Borderlands

Why do filmmakers intentionally make the colors in their films so fucking dull/blue?

>The best part of lovecraft isn't the fucking cthulu wad that gets shot at the end. Its the buildup and -INVESTIGATION- of it all. The deep dive a regular policeman or historian or private eye falls into when following leads on a strange case. The only time the cthulu shit means anything is if there is a slow build of madness before it. The journey TO that point. The uncovering of the dark secret.

Please post some more examples. I've seen everything in this thread and I'm itching for more.

The dark revelation at the end of all of the foreboding and dread is just the payoff.

Sorry, I meant examples of movies (In the Mouth of Madness etc.).

The reason why that movie isn't mentioned is because it's based on a Clive Barker story and people think it's about his lovelife!!!FACT!!!

OP, Silent Hill is possibly the most "Lovecraftian" movie ever made. Has the religious cult angle, fucked up monsters and soaked with mood and atmosphere which is what H.P. was really interested in, not exploding tentacles. Helps that SH used the score from the 3rd game while the first four games of that series are supreme cosmic Horror!!!FACT!!! youtu.be/yfJAooq3mTg

The Mothman prophecies

There's also some hints of Lovecraft in the original Ghostbusters. My favorite piece's of dialogue from Egon....

"The structure of this roof cap is exactly like the kind of telemetry tracker that NASA uses to identify dead pulsars in deep space. "

"The architect's name was Evo Shandor. I found it in Tobin's Spirit Guide. He was also a doctor, performed a lot of unnecessary surgery. And then in 1920, he started a secret society. "

"And he wasn't alone, he had close to a thousand followers when he died. They conducted rituals up on the roof. Bizarre rituals, intended to bring about the *end of the world*, and now it looks like it might actually happen. "

That shit always send chills up my spine, especially the part about dead pulsars in deep space. It hints at horrible things that your imagination fills in with dread!!!FACT!!!

Can't think of any movies (except the obvious ones), but Alan Moore's Neonomicon and Providence series are really good.

Del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness

Oh wait...

fuck off. that movie is shit, and not the least bit 'lovecraftian'.