Why Ukrainians get so mad when we use the preposition "on" with the name of their country?

Why Ukrainians get so mad when we use the preposition "on" with the name of their country?
Examples:
>to live on Ukraine
>there are no Russian troops on Ukraine

It was literally the way Gogol (one of the greatest Russian writers) wrote it.

Attached: 1198px-Ukraine_in_Europe_-rivers_-mini_map_svg-300x256.png (300x256, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

svoboda-news.com/arxiv/pdf/1893/Svoboda-1893-06.pdf
archives.gov.ua/Publicat/AU/AU_3_4_2010/14.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because it implies its a region/island, not a country

Good point Taras, but what has really changed? Ukraine is still technically part of Russia nowadays.

I'm Thracian.

Nevermind;
If Chukotka gains independence, will we start to say "in Chukotka" instead of "on Chukotka"?

its a peninsula, you say - na

I thought Ukrainians hated Gogol and Cossack related things nowadays because Orthodoxy is associated with Russia.

Why do Russians get so mad when you point out that their country is Mordor?

Is Alaska a peninsula too?
We don't. It indeed is.

We was Orthodoxy befor Russia.

Still, I thought there was a movement to go towards Eastern Rite Catholicism away from Orthodoxy because the Kremlin controls the Orthodox Church in Ukraine (barring the Autocephalous and Kyiv schisms that are not recognized by the greater church)

Please answer to OP question, Tarasko.

>in Ukraine
on Ukraine, bro.

Why not make it double condescending and say "on the Ukraine"?

> Gogol (one of the greatest Russian writers)

Why does "Gogol" pronounced with the Ukrainian accent sound like "Hohol" then?

His first name was also probably "Mykola"

Justify that "the".

>Ukrainian writer
>wrote most of his tales in Russian
He was Russian writer writing for the Russian Russians. Some of his stories are Ukraine-related because he frequently visited Ukraine.

It's a habit the American press picked up back in the early 90s because the Russian news sources they got their Ukrainian news from called it "the Ukraine" a lot.

I just asked why his name sounds like "Hohol" and you came up with completely unrelated "arguments" that only prove how insecure Russians are about him.

Because the whole point of ukrainian existence is to be buttmad.
And Poles also say "on Ukraine", but "in Poland".
>Gogol (one of the greatest Russian writers)
And he was of ukrainian Cossack origin, btw.

Hohol is derogatory term in the first place, you know that, pole.
How do poles say that?

Those who left in the Commonwealth were uniat scum.

I never made any sort of implication that hewas not a Russian writer; he is often presented as a key Russian author in America (along with Dostoevsky and Pushkin). The only Ukrainian author that people here know of is Taras Shevchenko, and even then the average person would not know the name. Maybe some Ukrainian diaspora or other people into foreign lit would recognize the names of Franko and Ukrayinka.

Attached: 1512938536263.jpg (531x507, 55K)

>I thought there was a movement to go towards Eastern Rite Catholicism away from Orthodoxy
Not really. Catholics are a small minority mostly in Galicia. Kiev is just trying to get recognition as an Autocephaly.

Gogol was Ukrainian

>Gogol was born in the Ukrainian Cossack village of Sorochyntsi

>His mother descended from Leonty Kosyarovsky, an officer of the Lubny Regiment in 1710.
>The Lubny Regiment was one of ten territorial-administrative subdivisions of the Cossack Hetmanate

>His father Vasily Gogol-Yanovsky, a descendant of Ukrainian Cossacks

*on the Ukraine

Why did he write in Russian then?

This is all pointless when we know the only solution to every problem is the complete genocide of russian vermin.

I am reluctant of understanding that "the". How would you translate in into Russian?

Because he was taught Russian.
He was a Ukrainian who spoke Russian, Ivan :)

Proxyhohol, have your finished your shift in the restaurant? Go to bed early, you are gonna be late tomorrow!

>Why does "Gogol" pronounced with the Ukrainian accent sound like "Hohol" then?
Except it's not. The haircut is pronounced as Khokhol.

Did you forget what happened to people who did things in Ukrainian back then?

According to this login Pushkin was an Ethiopian writer, right?

Na Ukrainie.

Hmmm... What?

We use "on" mostly for countries that used to be in PLC:
Slovakia, Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia
But also for Hungary and Croatia, no idea why

Shevchenko was shipped around the most desolate parts of the empire as a prisoner, worked to near death, then died alone in St. Petersburg. Most of the people who were part of the Brotherhood of Saints Cyril and Methodius had similar fates.

Personally I don't give a fuck and some times say "нa" some times "в", Pidorashko
Orthodox priests in Ukraine (of the Moscow Patriarchate btw) blesses the Ukrainian military so we ok with them.

Attached: s_u21_16862737[1].jpg (991x694, 103K)

Back when? Ukrainian literature started to develop not in the Commonwealth, but in the Russian Empire, actually. One of the greatest Ukrainian writers were from Russian Empire. The prohibition happened in the later years of Russian empire, out of fear of revolution. And it was not only against Ukrainian language.

Yes he was clearly black.

He had Ethiopian roots, among many others. Same way Gogol had ukrainian/cossack roots.

Are you aware of the fact that Ukrainian is an artificial, invented language which didn't even exist 400 years ago?

Puskin was of partially Ethiopian ancestry
Gogol was of completely Ukrainian ancestry

Pushkin is still a Russian writer, same is Gogol.

Pushkin was a Russian writer with some Ethiopian ancestry
Gogol was a Ukrainian who wrote in Russian
Gogol was as Russian as Joseph Conrad was English

Puszkiński and Gogół were Polish scientists

That's not entirely true. The name "Ukrainian" referring to the language and the people is made up and it's quite recent. Not even 400 years old, more like 100-120.
svoboda-news.com/arxiv/pdf/1893/Svoboda-1893-06.pdf
And modern standard Ukrainian is deliberately made as different from Russian as possible. But still, initially it split naturally and long ago.
Here's the original of Pylyp Orlyk "Constitution". It's definitely different from Russian. But more like Surzhyk, not standard Ukrainian.
archives.gov.ua/Publicat/AU/AU_3_4_2010/14.pdf

Attached: sfdsf.jpg (644x492, 150K)

My brother :)