I don't know whats the difference between "this" and "that"

i don't know whats the difference between "this" and "that"
i just randomly use one of these

Attached: zastanów sie nad sobą.png (400x381, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YyXIMravePk
youtu.be/0F0CAEoF4XM?t=1m51s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

proximity mostly

You're beautiful
youtube.com/watch?v=YyXIMravePk

that

i don't know the difference between "a" and "the" so i don't use them at all

That is just this that is over there

I don't know when to use while or whilst

Attached: 1521325186100.png (240x232, 51K)

I've never understood the difference between these and those

Both are the same but whilst sounds arrogant.

Same as the difference between this and that.

This for an object in your possession
That for something further away

it's like Estos and Esos in Spanish. French must have something similar.

i have a hard time with when to put 's' on a word
like give gives run runs love loves

This is incredibly easy
>a car (general)
>the car (specific)
When you go to your car, you wouldn't say "I'm going to a car" since it is way too general. You would say "I'm going to the car" to specify that it is a certain car you are going to (the one specified by the context)

A is used for one object that there are multiple of.
The is used for one object there is only one of.

Every Russian who's ever tried to learn English, ladies and gentleman.

Really, it doesn't exist in Russian?

>a
Undefined
I saw a dog (don't know him)
So it may be any dog

>the
Defined
I saw the dog (I know him)
It's one specific dog

"this" and "these" signify 'closer' proximity than "that" and "those"

Let me elucidate your complication
youtu.be/0F0CAEoF4XM?t=1m51s

A is an unspecified object ( indefinite)
The is a specified object (definite)

I would like a hug
Vs
You give the best hugs

A is general
The is specific
This is close proximity
That is not

It depends on how close an object is to you. If you have a pen in your hand, it's "this pen." But if you throw the pen across the room, it's "that pen."

Plural forms of this and that, "these pens are near me. Those pens are far away."

it is very easy, i explained it to my grandpa using eso and esto. just think eso/ese vs este/esto and you'll be fine.

Always say whilst
it is old english arrogant or not it lends authority to your statement. why wouldn't you?

ceux-ci, ceux-là

yeah... it's not that simple, john.
You are not placing a or the before every single word to specify if the "car" is specific or not. You don't say "ask the mike" or something, do you?
yes we don't have it

I don't know when to use "who" "whose" and "whomst"

>i don't know the difference between "a" and "the" so i don't use them at all
>i don't know the difference
>THE difference

Attached: 1521055622729.jpg (532x320, 25K)

but you just did

Je comprends toujours pas

when are you reclaiming Agia Sofia?
afraid of Turks of course. Big guy

I don't know when to use Past Simple and when to use Present Perfect.

Attached: 1490387305005.jpg (1024x768, 240K)

If you explain the difference between "Пoнял" and "Пoнятнo"

>whilst

Attached: absolutely-disgusting-40-2007766[1].png (500x584, 140K)

hung

>Uncanny is not the opposite of canny
Dumb language desu

he/she/it gives
I/you/they/we give

its straighforward enough

Past simple is a finished action in the past that has no effect on the present whereas present perfect is a summary of a past experience that has an effect on the present

Time indicators usually give away the past simple
>yesterday i went to the pool

straight forward

You don't use 'a' and 'the' with people, only objects. You just say "ask Mike" because I already know Mike. Now, if there are 2 Mikes and I'm not sure which Mike you're telling me to ask, then I say "which Mike?" and you respond "the Mike from school" or "the Mike from work."

Think of it like this:
You have two sandwiches in front of you, a ham sandwich, and a cheese sandwich. If you like both ham and cheese and just want to eat, you say ''I want a sandwich" because you don't care what type you're given. But if you like ham, but not cheese, then you say "I want the ham sandwich"

i don't know... it's the same.
ponyal is more like "i understood" and ponyatno is more like "ok"

that is typical of german speakers 2bh. in some countries/areas they may use simple past but i think austrians don't ever use it, maybe same with the german speakin swiss. but you have to admit ich war sounds more natural whereas ich bin gewesen is just cringe

Attached: x5tSM.png (654x492, 213K)

>You don't use 'a' and 'the' with people
>the Mike from work.
first of all you just used it with a person. second, why didn't you say "the mike from THE work"?

Kek

I just use whatever word sounds the most correct for the situation. I should have paid more attention to grammar in English class, because I feel like a brainlet when I try to construct sentences.

Attached: image.jpg (500x491, 26K)

Because work is a general concept like school or life. Also using the with people isn't technically correct but we would say it like that guy's example. Though you could also leave it "Mike from work or Mike from school?"

Besides Russian has like six cases, you can't complain about other languages.

>whilst
What's that? How do you pronounce it?

You guys are not doing very good job explaining the difference between this and that. Proximity is just one simple example but it is more subtle than that. For example if I am referring to the OP picture, I could say THIS picture if I am replying to his post, or I could say THAT picture if I am at the bottom of the thread and it is way up there. Don't try to memorize all the cases. Just use what sounds natural.

tldr just be yourself.

>in
>on

I just cant bros, I just never get them right

Attached: Selection_009.png (781x321, 84K)

Let's say you and I are friends, and we're both friends with two Mikes. We know a Mike from our school, and another Mike from our job. And then you ask me to call Mike to come over to our house and play video games. But I don't know which Mike you want me to call, the one from school or the one from work, so I ask. And only in this specific situation do you say "the Mike from work, not the Mike from school." because normally you don't have to specify people.

The other question I can't give you an exact answer on. I can't remeber at the moment why "the work" is wrong.

In the picture
In the tree
On Sup Forums
On drugs
That's basically it.

HOW

Are you serious, Argiebro?

>In = INside of something
>On = On top of something

The girl in your pic is in the hall, sitting on the stairs

Posting on Sup Forums? In Sup Forums?

Attached: Screenshots_1608_VE_0.jpg (1280x720, 95K)

Alguien me explica esto?
>who
Quién
>whose
De quién
>whom
A quién
Estoy bien?
Lmao, same

Attached: 1463367976997.png (352x345, 100K)

On the internet? In the internet?

Polish has no this/that distinction? Slovenian has a three way distinction (this here/this/that - tole/to/tisto)

>porqué
>porque
>por qué
>por que
try these. i am supposed to know the difference but i sometimes get confused. my grandpa gets mad at me.

se, el who whose whom le quedaron de los lenguajes como el aleman

como cosas como 'woodEN table'

Heat borsch comrade, i'm coming soon

Attached: 140725-pro-russian-weapons-1307_96c802c0ce0f85672438c29522954661.jpg (3597x2407, 827K)

i am on you but not yet in you

we don't really say whom. it is some pretentious british shit,.

lol
In Portuguese those two can be divided into 3.

I see, danke.
What do you say then?

Attached: 1486388510920.png (170x273, 33K)

we do
ten/tamten
but theres basically no difference, i believe "tamten" is made for longer distances buy you can use them however you want and nobody will see a difference

Attached: retard.png (657x527, 30K)

We have a portuguese equivalent for this bullshit, honestly don't even bother trying to learn the difference

just who. whoever etc

My dialect doesn't use "the". Welcome to the club.

(well, it sort of does, but it's silent... if that makes sense)

>How do you pronounce it?
walst

or while+st if you're a twat

What would people think if I use it?
There are a few more
>xq
>xk
>pq

Prepositions are the biggest bitches in learning new languages. I swear they're essentially randomly chosen and you just have to memorize which preposition fits with the concept.

Also, the fastest way to tell if someone is a native speaker or is just well-educated is in the kinds of mistakes they make. Which makes learning English through movies and such hard if you're also studying it in school, because we routinely break the rules of our own language and then it becomes mainstreamed through a song or something.

This

>or while+st if you're a twat
Actually, that needs correcting.

while = wal (normal) or wai-ul (twat)

whilst = walst (normal) or wai-ul-st (twat)

We have this in Portuguese, but I don't know if it's the same in Spanish. I'll explain in BR

Por que - used for questions, but only the beginning and middle of a sentence

>Por que está em casa tão cedo?
>Why are you home so early?

Porque is used to responde (literally because)

>Estou em casa porque não me sinto bem
>I'm home because I don't feel well

Por quê is used for questions, but only at the END of a sentence

>Está em casa cedo? Por quê?
>You're home early? Why?

Porquê is used as a synonym of reason

>Gostaria de saber porquê está em casa tão cedo
>I'd like to know the reason/why you're home so early

tl;dr it's stupid. Don't worry about it.

stupid
we just don't use such things
if i want to specify an object, i just say what it is, for example MY car
if it isnt any specific car, it's just car

Generally on is used for verbs such as posting on Sup Forums but in is used if it is literal such as swimming in a pool.

I am another Argentine and my problem is with In and At

tenemos una traducción exacta de Whose, Cuyo

el alumno cuyo hermano tiene sida
the pupil whose brother has aids

>whilst = walst (normal) or wai-ul-st (twat)
No, wait...

whilst = walst (twat) or wai-ul-st (proper twat)

I don't understand the point of saying qu'est-ce que before a question in French.

Is it just something you add to the front of a question to make it sound more polite? I feel like such a brainlet.

if you use whom? probably ok. it just sounds too "official" which may be suitable in writing depending on the situation. and it may sound natural to a brit, not sure.

>In = INside of something
>On = On top of something
there is more to that. consider
in the tree
in the picture
on drugs
on Sup Forums
etc.

*dab*

thanks for this. when i read it, that makes sense.

>tl;dr it's stupid. Don't worry about it.
sounds good :D

At is generally used when you're in close proximity to something or around its general location where as in is used when you are literally in something.

does anyone actually use the word
>betwixt
?

heard this one in Final Fantasy XV

Attached: grug_warcry_2.png (642x729, 145K)

it's one of the more common American words

It's archaic, but is perfectly fine to use if you're trying to sound poetic. Or to use in an academic context.

At school: currently in the building
In school: go to school in general

It's actually not that simple.
For learners from languages without articles this is consistently one of the most difficult things for them to grasp in English.

And it's much more inconsistent than native English speakers realize. Why is it "At school" but "In the hospital"?
Having both definite and indefinite articles is also a pretty rare feature among the world's languages. It's very common in Europe but outside of Europe not so much.

Attached: articles.png (1321x771, 1006K)

because this a/the concept is retarded. There is not logic behind it. You can apply a\the to every single thing but you apply it only to "objects" (which is every single thing in the universe). Which then expands to "sometime persons" and "sometimes this and that"

Pretty much. You can spend a week going through doctoral thesis on how this evolved or came to be but you only really have to keep in mind that languages are just as logical as their speakers, humans.

Natural languages are full of redundancies, exceptions and weird rules like this This is just how things are.

we use it all the time. i just said to my mom, betwixt you and me, i cheated on the math test.

>in the tree
Nah, this one makes perfect sense.

Attached: Untitled.png (900x900, 23K)

>Always get everything that confuses other anons right now
>If I were asked to explain how most of these work I'd just mumble unintelligibly
Fuck the English "language"

>in the picture
Also makes perfect sense. You are part of the picture, not literally on it. If you put a glass on top of a picture then that glass is on the picture but not in it.

but you are not actually inside a tree, like a bird's nest or something. you climb on a tree, and boom, you are on top of the tree, but you are still in the tree.

"Who" and "whom" aren't interchangeable. They are separate words with separate meanings. If you go around using it wrong by just replacing "who" in all your sentences with "whom" then people will think you're an idiot who's trying too hard to sound intelligent.

>you are on top of the tree
No, you are on top of one of its branches.

because the word is archaic in most dialects of English some think the rules are some complex shit but really if you'd use 'him' in the sentence then 'whom' is traditionally correct

are in and on basically abreviations of over and inside?

is saying I'm going out and I'm going outside the same?

btw, I just realized English doesnt have indefinite articles for plurals

the agent gave the spy the briefcase

and

an agent gave the spy a briefcase

mean different things
in the first one you probably know who the agent is and what the briefcase has

the second one you would use if you are spying the spy, who is sitting on a bench at some park, and you are looking at an agent you don't know give him some briefcase (an you dont know what it has)

> replacing "who" in all your sentences with "whom"
That doesn't make sense. However using who in place of "whom" is normal. "Whom" is getting obsolete just like betwixt.