George R.R. Martin is a fucking hack

George R.R. Martin is a fucking hack
Why wouldn't Ned tell Catelyn that Jon was Lyanna's son and just tell her to pretend he's a bastard?

He promised Lyanna

So nobody else finds out.

because men keep promises and women don't

More importantly, why did Ned allow someone as important as the true heir to the Iron Throne and the last mail Targaryen go to the Wall to rot forever.

He promised and he was a man of honor.

>mail

I meant male. Fucking Christ.

> Why wouldn't Ned tell Catelyn that Jon was Lyanna's son and just tell her to pretend he's a bastard?
Because Catelyn, especilly early on due to her lack of affection for Ned, could easily leak the information and lead to Robert souring ties and possibly having Jon killed?

if you didn't notice, cat is a dipshit airhead. ned barely knew her at the time anyway, she was supposed to be brandon's wife but then he was killed and ned had to become the warden.

promissed what?
>I promess you, i will turn your son into a bastard that my wife will hate and send him to the wall for the rest of his life

He promised his sister he'd keep him safe, not promise him to reclaim the throne. His buddy Robert was the king and Ned sure as hell wasn't planning to ever have another Targaryen sit on the iron throne.

To avoid war. And he was fighting against the Targaryens before that, he wouldn't have wanted another one on the throne.

> True heir
But he wasn't. Robert was. Its not like Ned considered Viserys to be the true heir, even though he was aware that he was alive.

>mail Targaryen
because the order via mail Targaryen are always inferior quality. Always buy them directly from the shop

the wall was the safest place for jon, nothing has happened there for a very long time. it's just a bunch of guys freezing their ass off, living, and ranging.

Promised he'd keep him safe until he was old enough to make his own life choices. Ned didn't force Jon to go to the wall.

Don't forget the gay sex

The Arryns are all barely functioning retards and Robert would have murdered Jon Snow.

sage

What about later, when he trusted her?
>keep him safe sending him to the wall
they literally freeze to death or die when they go north of the wall

Not to tell anyone whose son he was and protect him. He couldn't exactly just come home with a baby and just go: "Oh, I picked up this baby along the way. I don't know who he is or who his parents is but lets raise him."

He didn't send him to the wall, he let him make his own choice.

>they literally freeze to death or die when they go north of the wall

ned's brother was there, are you forgetting that? he was there for like 20 years and he was mostly doing fine.

Guess you're right, hell, even Samwell survived

It didn't matter if he trusted her or not. He promised not to tell anyone. His trust in her had nothing to do with the promise.

That's why Ned is an interesting character. He will do the honorable thing even when it's wrong or goes against his own judgement.

It's going to have a dull ending isn't it?
Jon will kill the knight king and rule with Daenerys and happily ever after

>knight

honestly, because he would be wasting his breath
he HAS to tell everyone Jon is his bastard son otherwise Bobby B is going to take care of fucking Targ shits
if he turns around and tells his wife, whom he barely knows, "no it's just a lie, he's really my sister's kid" while telling the world something different, she's going to think he's lying
that would put tremendous strain on their marriage, more than simply saying "yeah he's my bastard son, deal with it"
not to mention that if Cat becomes unhappy enough to complain to the wrong people, we're right back to Bobby B only this time Ned has also been lying to his king

You mean Aegon. Aegon and Daenarys Targaryen will, together, defeat the Night King and restore peace to Westeros... by destroying King's Landing and allowing the Seven Kingdoms to rule themselves. Then they will leave Westeros for good and return to their homeland as they always should have done

Promised her not to tell anyone because Ned and Lyanna both knew full well Robert would kill anyone remotely related to the Targaryens. Is that so hard to understand? Also Ned and Catlyn had only known each other for like a year at that point.

It wasn't just Ned's honor that he sacrificed, also Catlyns. Remember when Jaime taunts her how it must have been a special woman to make Ned lose his honor? If she knew it'd be easy for her to defend herself by spilling the beans. You bet plenty of those moments occurred over the years. She only had to be done with it once and Jon would be killed within a heartbeat. They even have a scene in season one specifically showing Robert has no issues with killing innocent Targaryen children and Ned getting angry about it.

I really hope they don't just start calling him Aegon instead of Jon in all situations

>together
Jon or Daenerys will have to kill the other to forge Light Bringer and kill the faggot king

Why the fuck would he bother risking Catelyn accidentally spilling the beans when he could just take the secret to his grave? He was a man of honor and promised his sister to keep his identity secret.

Women talk. Catelyn tells Lysa tells CIA tells Robert.

False. Jaime will defeat the Night King when he is revealed as Azor Ahai after killing Cersei and summoning Lightbringer.

>spilling the beans
what the fuck?

and stayed fat and soft

much better than the dayne shit tbqh, jon is a huge mary sue and one of grrm's favorite characters so he has to be special

you poor thing
Dany will kill Jon because of le epic feminism twist, and summon Lightbringer

To disclose a secret. You don't know the expression?

Rhaegar was mary sue too. Then he met Robert's warhammer.

Nope, is it because of the show?
I never go to the generals because of the constant spamming so i'm not updated to the memes there

I get that they can't recast, but to think that his time at the wall did nothing for his weight is ridiculous
I always figured that since the chapters were from his perspective, he couldn't see the changes that were happening

no its been an expression since like, forever. hell fairly sure ive seen black and white detective movies where someone has said 'spill the beans'

>trusting women with secrets
Ned might as well have shared it on his Twitter by then.

that shit doesn't happen, and not only a woman, cat was a tully fucking shit. Even more reason not to trust her

didn't finish the 5th book, but he's still fat there

you have obviously never had an important secret

when you tell someone something, it goes public

when it's a woman, that happens 10x faster

No it's a regular English idiom meaning to say something you're not supposed to share with anyone.

well, i learned something new

Not telling Catelyn makes the lie *far* more convincing given how she treated Jon growing up. Nobody would doubt for a second that he was Ned's bastard son. If he told Catelyn the truth people might ask questions about why she doesn't seem all that disturbed with Jon.

>the less people know, the better

this is basic logic, kid

I admit I could be wrong and that I'm overthinking it
I just assumed that since Sam himself is narrating his own chapters, Martin was using the unreliable narrator trope to hide the external transformation until his final confrontation with his family

Because he was shamed by it.

The Lannisters convinced everyone that the Targeryans were insane genocidal maniacs and they fought a war that bloodied the entire realm in order to kill the Targeryan scum.

Ned probably killed dozens of people with hatred in his heart for Rhaegar and the mad king, only to find out that everything was a lie.

Rhaegar is Azor Ahai, Lyanna is Nissa Nissa. Jon is Lightbringer

its an interesting one. Some ideas suggest it was once more like "he upset the applecart" (to cause an unpleasant situation to occur) and because telling a secret can cause unpleasant situations to occur it eventually became used in that way. Thats the fun part of etymology, its like playing chinese whispers

The wall was chill before the events of the show

Also you're forgetting only the rangers went north of the wall, like an elite force. Most people were just meming and drinking beer.

>keep him safe
>brand him as one of the lowest members of society, only a step above a dwarf

One person can keep a secret.

Two can't.

As simple as that. To protect him, literally everyone had to believe Jon was his son. Catelyn genuinely hating Jon just strengthened the disguise.

Robert never found out his real identity and tried to kill him, so it worked.

Didn't Baratheon die before Ned? Why didn't Ned tell him then

>gets stabbed literally to death in a mutiny i the night's watch
>lmao he was kept safe

>telling a woman such an important secret that could get both your and the kid you swore to your dying sister to protect both killed

Yeah, great idea mate.

He wanted to tell him personally and he couldnt go to the Wall yet. He always keeps what he promised and he said "next time we meet" so he cant just send a raven.

>Implying Robert wouldn't have killed him if he knew

Couldn't be request Jon home?

You cant leave the Night Watch

What else could he do? By the time Ned knew, he had effectively fought and won a rebellion to overthrow the targaryens. If Robert found out, he would have certainly demanded that Ned kill him or dispatch him in some other way. By keeping him at winterfell and sending him to the wall, Ned successfully rendered Jon invisible. It was one of the smartest and long-thinking political moves that Ned ever did.

In sure under the circumstances they could make an exception. Also why didn't Ned stop him from joining the night watch

Because at the time there were no threats coming from the wall ya dingus

Is Jon Snow the Jesus of ASoIaF?

>In sure under the circumstances they could make an exception.
Ned would never let a son of his, or any other Stark, break an oath like that.

>Also why didn't Ned stop him from joining the night watch
The Starks have a long history of joining the Night's Watch, so it's still seen as an honorable and preferable option for them. Joining the Watch also means that the person revokes all titles and claims, which actually would have been good for Jon, as far as Ned knew. He assumed Robert was going to stay on the throne for a long time, and being in the Watch saved Maester Aemon's life. The Night's Watch had, as far an anyone could remember, just been a place where old Lords and people with no options went to hang out; Ned's own brother had been at the Wall for twenty years and had a pretty good life. Ned really didn't have a reason to stop Jon.

He took a knife in the heart for his people Ollie

If he is at the wall he gives up any claim to the thrown, and Catelyn stays happy because he can't threaten Robbs claim to Winterfell(not that he would do anything but she was a paranoid cunt)

>a place where rapists and killers are send too
>attacks on regular paces from wildlings
>tough wether and sturdy structure
>safe place

maybe Ned thought his sister a bit of a tart and her bastard son was just one bit too many for him to burden. so he kept his word. and let the boy sense what a fucking burden he was his whole fucking life.

Cause he wasn't sure what she would do.
Tully are all about family and Jon was a threat to Cat children.

>Ned thought, If it came to that, the life of some child I did not know, against Robb and Sansa and Arya and Bran and Rickon, what would I do? Even more so, what would Catelyn do, if it were Jon's life, against the children of her body? He did not know. He prayed he never would.

Why was Kevan at the wall for 20 years? Does he not like Northern pusy?

There was no time!

House Baratheon> House Lannister> House Stark>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>House Targaryen

The risk was too high. Ned knew that the only sure fire way that the secret would be kept is if he took it to his grave.

Same reason he didn't ask Robert to legitimize him. Ned wanted Jon to feel alienated since childhood to push him to join the night watch.

this is a good ranking.

and trust a woman to not squeal?

Book Jon Snow is a literal retard that got himself killed over the stupidest of reasons. Just because he is a Mary Sue in the show doesn't mean he is that way in the books... at least for now.

Because:

1. he is a hack.
2. he likes mexican soup operas.

Jaime kills Cersei and as he is pulling the sword out it turns into Lightbringer, very heavy handedly symbolizing that Jaime is bringing light(revelation) and light(airy lightness by letting everyone breathe now that they are free from Cerseis tyranny)

safe if you are not a numale cuck from the south

only difference between them both is that grrm hasn't revived him yet, give him time, like 20 more years

fuck off please

The Lannisters came in at the last second for Robert's side and sacked King's landing before Roberts forces got there in a surprise attack.
For bringing a swift end to the campaign and avoiding a protracted siege Robert wed Tywins daughter once Lyanna was confirmed ded

Jon wanted to go to the Wall - Benjen was a huge influence on Jon in his young years.
Ned
There is also the fact that there is a family tradition to always have a Stark on the wall - in the Nights Watch, and alot of Lord Commanders have been Stark's.
Typically a non-heir Stark would do this after he and his heir brother had children, Benjen was an exception.

Ned did not oppose Jon's fascinaion with he watch, he let it bloom because he knew a Targ in the watch is safe from Robert's wrath

he did

so she did

Then tell me this. If Catelyn wouldn't have kept a secret, why was she worth Ned's love and loyalty? I want to know. What could he have done?

It's such a gay asspull.

Why can't Jon just be Ned's bastard son from the woman he would have married if his brother hadn't strangled himself?

I thought the point of game of thrones was to not do all that generic fantasy shit like secret princes and whatever

Read the books, the wall is as safe as anywhere or more.

that was just a ruse

notice how its coming down to classic good vs evil

all the characters who were morally ambiguous are becoming good

all these prophecies being fufilled

GRRM is a hack

and not a single line about tax policies

>Lyanna: "Promise me you will protect Aegon."
>Aegon: "Hey I want to go to this shitty wall full of rapists."
>Ned: "That sounds great! Bye."