What happened to parody movies? When did they stop being popular and, most importantly, actually good?

What happened to parody movies? When did they stop being popular and, most importantly, actually good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vD8p7k2-_zA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Modern movies are already a joke without them needing to be parodied.

Scary Movie was the last good one. That Zucker slide into frivolity is what killed them.

Goldmember was good and came out in 2002

/thread

captcha: Hella BERNARD

fpbp

this right hurr

meet the spartans

1. People don't like seeing their favourite franchises be the target of ridicule. Spaceballs can be made in a time when most people saw it as a silly space adventure movie, but not when everyone treats it like a religion.

2. Writing a clever script poking fun at something takes a lot of time. It's easier and cheaper to just have some comedians do bad improv in a plot about relationships in modern life or something.

3. The last parody movies were those shitty Friedberg and Seltzer movies and everyone wanted to distance themselves from them.

This plus all the other horrible Friedberg and Seltzer movies.

The key to making a good parody movie is that people making it have to actually respect the source material and love it enough to know how to poke fun at it. That's why most parody movies are, and always have been, garbage; most of the time, it's people making cheap jokes and trying to rip apart the source material, which doesn't work. You need to take something seriously before you can have fun with it.

I'm shamed to admit that I find this catchy.
youtube.com/watch?v=vD8p7k2-_zA

>script
/thread

Comedies in general are fading away because they're less predictable at the box office.

Scary Movie was probably the last good one if you wanna call it that.

That franchise also led to literally every movie released trying to be parodied.

I think that's why I never really cared much for Spaceballs, it's very one-dimensional because the jokes are based on how the characters look and talk rather than the actual movie they were parodying.

No Mel Brooks

leslie nielsen died

Yeah, I was avoiding naming specific movies because people get butthurt about that kind of thing, but Spaceballs is one of my favorite examples of how to do a parody movie the wrong way. Most of the jokes have nothing to do with the source material, and when Star Wars/sci-fi things are brought up, it's sort of with contempt. Like Mel Brooks is ridiculing something that he doesn't understand and thinks people are silly for enjoying. When you compare it to something like Young Frankenstein, it's obvious that Brooks is being more malicious than loving.

Probably the best way to illustrate what I was talking about is by comparing Spaceballs and Galaxy Quest.

The best parts of Spaceballs don't really involve parodying but pretty much Rick Moranis mugging for the camera

Speaking of sir Nielsen, what is general consensus about Naked Gun series here?

I don't know. People seem to be more obsessed with talking about how that girl dick joke in Naked Gun 3 triggers SJWs.

Walk Hard and Black Dynamite are great

Social justice means all risque jokes must be scrubbed from all media and culture.

>ib4 If you deny it you're blind or a liar.

love the man,love his movies

Kino.

Do the Hot Shots movies count as good parodies?

I hate to get all Sup Forums on you but liberals have no sense of humor. They're all humorless cunts. They don't get irony and subtle humor, they don't like self effacing humor because their egos are too big. You need a grasp of all of these things to make a good parody.

They're just more rare. Take Fifty Shades of Black for example, as horrible as most of the late 00s parody movies were.

Yes.

Mel Brooks is considered the king of parody films and he couldn't have been more Jewish.

>tfw the BBC has just re-released Only Fools and Horses and removed offensive language like "paki shop" and "Irish tumble-dryer" (cement mixer)

Literally the exact opposite is true.

____ movie killed them

I Was just talking about this yesterday, a good parody needs to be smart and not just some money grab that does some pop culture references. Walk hard is probably the last great parody that was released.

>Goldmember was good
It was mediocre but still better than most of the trash that came out in the 2000's