I want the perspective of someone who's seen this movie, but not the source material

I want the perspective of someone who's seen this movie, but not the source material.
Is it good?
I watched it and I'm not sure if I should be okay with their use of creative license or dislike it for being so unfaithful to the anime/manga

Also: wasn't sure if this should go on Sup Forums or here, but I decided here since this particular rendition is live action.

>I want the perspective of someone who's seen this movie, but not the source material.
Here I am. Well I enjoyed it, it was like Final Destination with some twists, basically a B movie with more budget than usual. Nothing special, but it's one those comfy movies I'd probably come back on a monday night to relax after a day of work, like Anaconda or The Mummy with Brendan Frasier.

Holy fuck, you exist.

My favourite thing about Netflix's Death Note is how it's bringing all of us fans of the original series back together again so we can discuss and relate and just have a really neat time. I've had so much fun in the recent Death Note threads, and it's been really refreshing and amusing to revisit a property we all loved. Wow, how time flies. Anyway, hope you get some more newbie perspectives OP. Good luck with your quest! *bites apple* (hehe)

It made me feel depressed after I watched it... They fucked it up.

It wasn't horrible, but I really don't like how L was relegated to the sidelines, and we only ever saw him acting out of passion instead of being super analytical and stolid.

Also the cliffhanger: did L do it? Is that why Ryuk said what he did, or was he more impressed with Light?

>The Mummy with Brendan Frasier.

THE MUMMY WITH BRENDAN FRASIER IS NOT A B-MOVIE AND "NOTHING SPECIAL"

IT'S A GREAT FUN ADVENTURE FILM. A MODERN DAY INDIANA JONES HOW DARE YOU PUT IN THE SAME BREATH AS ICE CUBE'S ANACONDA

>L was relegated to the sidelines, and we only ever saw him acting out of passion instead of being super analytical and stolid

did they not understand the point of L?

haven't watched it, spoil me, what did L do or not do?

I'm watching right now. After like 5 minutes, you don't mind that they're not chinks and forget about being mad about it and can immerse yourself pretty well.

My biggest gripe are the weird slanted angles they do in A LOT of shots not to mention way too many unnecessary close-ups. It feels like the director of photography is a 13 year old trying to make scenes look "cool".

Light Death Notes Watari, hoping he can get him to reveal L's name

For the rest of the movie, L is a renegade cop that chases after Light with a pistol

>After like 5 minutes, you don't mind that they're not chinks

The race issue being the least of anime movie adaptations seem to be the trend

I just read the synopsis on Wikipedia, and honestly it doesn't sound terrible, just not a good adaptation of death note.

To me, it seems like the larger issue.

The issue of not being a shot-for-shot remake shouldn't even be an issue. Why would anyone complain about that when they can just want to watch the original if that's what they clearly want to see?

just watched it. liked it.

pretend that it's a 1-off sequel to the anime, with ryuk adding some rules.

It's better than the one with Tom Cruise, at the very least.

It's fucking trash you turbopleb. Frasier is a terrible actor as well as a dopey meatheaded chad, stop worshiping him you dinky-dick homo faggot.

Even if you ignore what Death Note is "supposed" to be about, it was a pulpy movie, full of cheesy shots that seemed gimmicky and engineered. It was essentially a long commercial for Death Note.

They even ruined making L black by casting someone with terrible delivery.

How did L track down light to begin with.
I know he chose the hostage death because it's seattle only broadcast, but how did he know to look there when people die everyday?

It's a cartoon, it's not supposed to make sense

As someone who watched the anime I thought this movie was pretty good. I think it's ok for it to be different because it's thirty something episodes crammed into like two hours so taking liberties for changes were necessary and it was handled in a way that makes the movie fun and fast paced. The power fantasy scenes where the girl would get wet as fuck for him was hot desu.

The best part of the movie is definitely L the black guy and Willem Dafoe. Those two and the hot slut carried the movie.

its ok, fun setpices, nice music, great asthetics and good use of William Dafoe, overall its ok for what it is, theres already a live action movie from japan, so i dont mind this, the MC is fun too.

It makes sense in the source though.
It's actually logical

Lance Bass stars in the Death Note movie?!

>netflix shills pretend that the movie was good

>its ok, fun setpices, nice music, great asthetics
Fuck you. It's literally hipster-pandering tier. If you thought it was good I hope you choke on your fucking McDonalds you tasteless piece of shit.

I only got through a couple chapters of the manga and stopped caring. And then cared about the swimming lessons meme at the end.

Movie was all right. Nothing special.

maybe the page he finds in the end confirms one of his several theories.... I havent seen the animes either i thought the movie was beautiful.... it felt original in the sense that it didnt rip off donnie darko in anyway.. but if were talking anime i couldnt care... i dont care about anime and im sorry op has to fight these wolves inside of him but im strictly into movies these days

SIR BRENDAN FRASIER IS A MASTER OF HIS CRAFT AN UNDERRATED ARTIST THAT THE FOOLISH HOLLYWOOD SYSTEM DOESN'T UNDERSTAND

SIMILAR TO JOHN TRAVOLTA BEFORE QUENTIN BROUGHT HIM BACK TO FAME WITH PULP FICTION, JUST YOU WAIT

SORRY FOR THE LOCK CAPS MY KEYBOARD IS BROKEN AS IS MY SPACEBAR AND I NEED TO COPY AND PASTE THE SPACES

go to bed tom.

perhaps hes been tracking the many owners of the book and ryuk has somehow manage to write L into existence over the years the not has been in circulation...L could be the anti christ

>weird slanted angles
dutch angles

This movie is full of plotholes regardless of seeing the anime

*Nigel Powers quote here*

yeah true hopefully a sequel can cover it up

Thanks, didn't know the name. Whatever it is, it's extremely childish and stupid looking

It only made sense in the anime, because it happened in japan, where L already happened to be.

The end doesn't leave much room for a sequel, other than the obvious cliffhanger of L still being alive and dealing with the dilemma of the page.

L got next to no development. Very disappointing as he was the plot drive for the anime.

There are ways to make sense in this movie to, but they chose not to.

I enjoyed it. Never seen any of the anime or other media. It was a solid 7/10. Whenever it started playing power of love at the end when light was freaking out was pure kino.

>doesn't elaborate
Okay, I'll just take your word for it almighty writing guru of Sup Forums
The writers of this movie are beyond incompetent.

Op here:
If you liked the movie, go check out the anime. Much slower paced, but there's a reason it's so acclaimed.

>This was the first location the victim wrote Kira
or
>The manner of death was exactly the same as the next ones
probably would've sufficed over
>Bad man got ran over and the next deaths were by different means in a different country but I somehow assume it was seattle even though people get run over/die in weird ways everyday

>This was the first location the victim wrote Kira
Why would light give himself up by making a person do this in seattle? In the movie it happens in Japan specifically as a diversion.

>The manner of death was exactly the same as the next ones
This one definitely makes more sense.

It's obvious if you paid attention. L has the ability to hack into police databases (he admitted doing it to Light's dad's police station)

All he needed to do was to backtrace where the searches were coming from for the criminals who died and, boom, its all coming from the same place

>he doesnt like 'take my breath away'

pleb

Here's what I think their big fuckup was; delving deeper into the Note's non-killing powers.

In the source material, Light doesn't utilize the note's mind control or cause-of-death powers MUCH. Really, just the concept of "Whoever's name is written in this notebook shall die" is an interesting enough concept to drive the story; everything else is just gravy.

In the movie, the mind-control and cause of death are the focus. And don't get me wrong, I love that they did this; it was awesome to see him mindslave Watari. But using this part of it brings up some weird implications.

You can make someone do something that isn't IMPOSSBILE for them to do, but is EXTRAORDINARILY UNLIKELY for them to do. Light specifies that the girl drops the page such that it lands in fire. I don't believe that she has the skill to do that without the death note. By this token, you could write "____ flips a coin 50 times, landing on heads every time" or "___fires his pistol in the air 20 times, each of the bullets will land in the skull of the person known as L, killing him." Hell, I wonder if Light wrote "Watari successfully delivers L's name to me" it would have happened.

The Death Note is no longer "Whoever is written in this notebook shall die" but "Whatever is written in this notebook is destined to occur"

To emphasize this; one of the rules they say out loud is that you can't make something physically impossible happen. At the end of the movie, Light makes the ferris wheel crash. This isn't physically impossible, but the only reason it happens is because a demon appears and cast a spooky magic spell to cause it. Ryuk effectively acts like a force of causality to make the event happen. So using Ryuk's own example and what he does in the film, you should in fact be able to write "____ dies when a shark comes out of his toilet and kills him, because a demon cast a spell to put it there."

>Frasier is a terrible actor

I'm neither familiar with the manga, the anime or the japanese movie and I can tell you that the Netflix movie sucks.

It crammed too much plot into its 100 minutes, the kid playing Light was an absolute joke, I have no idea what the hell it was going for with its shitty softrock score and the plot was full of jtterly retarded moments. The Death Note literally falling from the sky right next to Light? Orphans bein gtrained to be super detectives? Gimme a break.

>black kid dressed all in black takes a police car then runs through the city in america with a gun chasing after a frightened white guy and nobody is trying to shoot him dead
How the Hell was this the least believable part of a film that has a magic book and a demon?

I just saw it last night, never once watched the anime or much anime at all.

IDK it was alright I guess. Stuff you can expect from Netflix originals.

oh well hes just another nigger desu

>I watched it and I'm not sure if I should be okay with their use of creative license or dislike it for being so unfaithful to the anime/manga
It was almost like someone was trying to make a parody of the original. It scrapped just about everything that made the original interesting.

9.9/10 post and image. Those semicolons in the first and final paragraphs should be colons, there are some forgivable uses of who instead of whom, and the fifth paragraph lacks termination but otherwise, great post!

even if the light in this netflix version isnt supposed to be as smart as the anime i still find it completely unbelievable that anyone would reveal that they have the death note to the first girl they meet and also basically admit to her that you have already killed people.

>The Death Note literally falling from the sky right next to Light?
I think it's an interesting point that you had a problem with this.
In the source, Ryuk drops the notebook in a random place because he was curious what would happen; Light saw it drop, is intrigued, and goes to investigate it.
In the movie, they don't go into Ryuk's motivations at all, so I can see how from a newcomers perspective, one might assume that the notebook landing at Light's feet is just a contrived coincidence.

It never needed to be an exact remake. The problem lies with the details and the freedoms taken on major plot points much like in GitS. The people who adapt these don't understand what made the originals so great. In the case of GitS it has the visual side going for it but Death Note was just overall bad.

I'm not mad that they went and changed it. I'm mad that they didn't get the original and made this piece of shit.

Isn't he in high school? How is it unbelievable that a horny kid thinks with his dick instead of his brain and has a chance to impress a cheerleader enough to want to hang out with him? That part seemed accurate as fuck

the ending was what disappointed me

was the movie supposed to be a comedy? it was fucking hilarious

impress a girl by showing her all the murders hes committed.
if a girl didn't try to get as far away from him as possible she would have to be retarded.

Yeah you're right. Girls generally don't like bad boys

>The Death Note is no longer "Whoever is written in this notebook shall die" but "Whatever is written in this notebook is destined to occur"
I like how one of the FBI guys died of a heart attack but they never bothered to go into the whole "if it cannot happen the target dies of a heart attack" part of the book.

On top of that L not using a decoy at first was stupid as fuck and him asspulling some shit about Kira's powers with that press conference didn't make any sense at all.

Why was L even in the movie. He didn't contribute anything at all to the story.

>Why was L even in the movie. He didn't contribute anything at all to the story.
Forced. Diversity.

As someone who watched the anime what did you think of L struggling with the page in the end? I think it ended up being somehow a slightly redeeming part of a shitty movie. It would've been better if they had shown him kill Light.

Even if it were a white guy playing the same role it wouldn't change.

This movie would've been better if it had been Light's father searching for the culprit and figuring out it was his son all along.

>I watched it and I'm not sure if I should be okay with their use of creative license or dislike it for being so unfaithful to the anime/manga
honestly i prefer this in adaptions.
If i wanted an exact recreation of the original I'd just watch the original.

But kun, told you what L contributed. A white L would not have contributed forced diversity.

What was the point of L/police even trying to find Kira?
It's not like they can arrest him for thinking he has remote viewing/psychic abilities, right?

Light should have just been like, "whatever, I'm Kira if you want. Can't arrest me. K bye"

Also, did Light use a conditional on her?

Imagine how easy being Kira could be if you could be like "If this thing doesn't work out, this person does this other thing before dying."

t-thanks

>Why was L even in the movie. He didn't contribute anything at all to the story.
w-we got the license bro, if we don't include all the Fan Favoriteā„¢ characters from manga its a waste of nonexistent resources...

Watching it right now for the first time...

The opening is so horrible and screams "Millennial movie made for mellenial" already.

It's only been 8mins.

>better include this fan favorite character
>and then butcher the fuck out of it because we didn't get why it was a favorite

My friend who loves the anime stormed out of room when was watching it with him cos they made the detective guy black aha

Up until he shows the girl the deathnote movie is okay but then it turns to shit

WHY MAKE THIS A SEXUAL ROMANCE???????

WHY CANT HOLLYWOOD MAKE 1 MOVIE I CAN RELATE TO WHERE MAIN CHARACTER NEEDS GETS THE GIRL????

I couldn't even make it this far

>one might assume that the notebook landing at Light's feet is just a contrived coincidence.
That's literally what happened. It was contrived in order to save time.

This movie is shit. Anyone who likes it is probably a shill.

>there's a reason it's so acclaimed.
And what reason could that be? It's clearly aimed at middle schooolers. I tried to watch it a couple of months ago and I was crining the entire time, it's clearly what high schoolers think is cool and edgy. It's absolutely awful and it's an offense to the viewer.

>Good luck with your quest! *bites apple* (hehe)
am I on reddit

autism detected

I've never seen or read the source material, I thought the movie was alright, had a few cringey moment. I couldn't stand the black dude spider-man jumping on chairs.. bit autistic.

Otherwise it was alright, not amazing but fine. I don't think it was as bad as people are saying. I think the casting was shit tier though.

this thread has autism

The first kill was terrible.

What baffles me is everybody acting like Death Note (at least the anime) is something good. Come the fuck on, there is so many asspulls and plotholes that this netflix version could be the "official adaptation" of the manga, made to western audiences (not fans of the source material, fuck the nips). The movie AT LEAST is something (re)watchable on its own, the anime on the other hand, is so fucking shit (specially after L dies) that I'll never touch that shit again. Code geass is the superior 4d chess.

Who else was upset at the soundtrack?

For some reason I went in expecting heavy metal music like in the intro for the cartoon and instead we got weak ass sissy tunes

L in the original was autistic, as in did stuff that wasn't socially acceptable, but not hyper autistic.

Manga > Novel > Anime > Nip Movies >= Netflix

Didn't even have the appeal of Death Note in the first place

Please read the manga guys. It's the classic genie/demon story turned on it's head. Ryuk is completely honest and straightforward in the first issue and Light is the evil trickster. Ryuk even says he will be the one to kill Light eventually.

fags think they belong here. cry about nahzees and mean racists.

fucking literal murder isnt the same as the high school jock that sometimes pushes the virgins around. what world do u live on.

I watched and read the source material.

I enjoyed this film. It was definitely Americanized. Throwbacks to B horror movies, and even a Bladerunner-isk chase scene.

>code geass

Oh. And the Black actor who played L was fantastic.

It was awful. Like 95% of what Netflix produces these days
>The Defenders
>The Mist
>Death Note
Wew lads

Hey weeb fucks, what's that anime that has a flying whale that wears a tuxedo? Sounds good for a cheap laugh

Jay Bauman from RLM said the movie was ok not great but ok

Jokes on you. I don't eat McDonalds.

>e-celebs
No one cares

Jesus Christ Lights Turner was fucking atrocious. He was the complete opposite of Light Yagami.
INstead of being cool, calm and collected, he was just a whiny white kid.

L was good in the beginning, I actually liked his mannerism and acting. Then he went all coocoo and ruined everything.

Ruyuk was A+ though

.Good luck with your quest! *bites apple* (hehe)
plz remove butt plug before posting