I'm usually not a Sup Forums ranter...

I'm usually not a Sup Forums ranter, but I just feel the need to say that it frustrates me to no end that people who know nothing about psychology or how brains function are bashing trigger warnings all over the Internet. Most of these people are academics and educators, which is even more frustrating to me because, from a pedagogical standpoint, refusing to acknowledge a legitimate disability is absolutely shameful. As a highly successful student who graduated from her undergraduate institution suma cum laude and lives with active PTSD, I'm disgusted by the way people callously refer to trigger warnings as "coddling" and a means to allow students to dominate classroom discussion and keep all critical thinking out of the learning environment. For those of you who don't know, "triggers" are not simply "concepts which make us feel a tad uncomfortable." Triggers are controversial and damaging experiences and topics which cause trauma victims to relive their trauma, viciously and without warning, in such a way that it is impossible for the individual to control. As a victim and survivor of numerous traumatic experiences, I can say that trigger warnings in an academic setting have NOT acted as a means for me to avoid controversial material, but rather as a way for me to IMPROVE my ability to handle said material. Trigger warnings alert me to put my coping skills in place so that, when I enter into a controversial discussion, I am prepared for what I'm about to hear and ready should I actually end up facing an uncontrollable emotional response.

Mental illness is an ILLNESS just like anything physical; it is NOT under the control of the individual suffering from it, and it requires diligence and sometimes even lesson modification to keep things in check. If what matters to you as an educator really is fostering intellectual and expansive class discussions, perhaps you ought to try advocating for the needs of struggling students and creating a learning environment which encourages ALL students to participate. I will forever be an advocate for students like me who just want to have the same chance for a good education as everyone else, but who have been discriminated against by ableist institutions and mindsets. My success at my undergraduate institution is a testament to what compassionate and dedicated professors can achieve and help others to achieve when they recognize the existence and legitimacy of mental illnesses like mine.

(2/2)

I wholeheartedly agree. I think the problem is that people are using the words "trigger warnings" and "safe spaces" for things that shouldn't be classified as such. And that completely missed the point of having those two things.

>lives with active PTSD

How the fuck did you get PTSD? Daddy didn't buy you a sports car for your 16 birthday?

ugh, ok I have to agree to this. kind of sick of these men fucking spewing their chauvinistic filth on people.

A lot of really neat words here. Not sure there's much in the way of substance or any kind of concrete alternative being offered though.

Fuck you and your trigger warnings you whiny cunt, do you know what people did before trigger warnings? They weren't special snowflakes that needed to remind everyone how traumatic and difficult their lives are.

>This happened to me
>I don't like being reminded of it
>Except when I talk about it for attention
>This is why I'm a useless shit cunt, it isn't my fault

Please just KYS faggot, death is the ultimate safe space

TRIGGER WARNING
you're a dumb nigger cunt. Kill yourself you worthless garbage.

People get legitimately triggered by legitimately traumatic events like spending months at a time not knowing if you'll suddenly be under artillery fire. College liberals and tumblr users who have been called fat do not.

What were you majored in and what do you have "PTSD" for?

Does it matter? Since you haven't disagreed with using trigger warnings and having academic safe spaces, I'll just assume you agree with the contents of the OP's post.

>I am prepared for what I'm about to hear and ready should I actually end up facing an uncontrollable emotional response.
You Know, at one Point or another you will leave ur comfy Save Space class rooms and meet the real World and get a real job.
Do you think anybody cares if you are ready for what you gonna hear?
Damm americans Are such pussys

Ok. Universal Trigger warnings and safe spaces are for faggots. Now fuck off.

>ad hominem

I don't think that qualifies as a legitimate argument. You literally wasted bandwidth uploading that post.

>I am le triggered
Kill yourself for even acknowledging that "word"

But good luck on your PTSD though, hope you get through it

-psyc student (male....no homo)

wow you went through a lot of effort to make this bait... heres your (you)

You haven't posted a legitimate argument as to why trigger warnings and sage spaces are warranted. The burden of proof is on you. You literally wasted bandwidth by being this much of a faggot.

Read the OP. I believe that has a powerful, coherent, and logically sound argument for the existence and widespread use of trigger warnings and safe spaces.

Did you really respond to a thread without reading and understanding the contents of the OP?

Hillary is that you?

Wow, finally an intelligent, well-thought out and articulately argued post.

Sup Forums might finally be improving.

I did. How fucking thin skinned and pathetic do you have to be to need trigger warnings over text book material? You're not helping OP's case at all. That's why I asked what her "PTSD" is actually over.

More ad hominem. You must be fun at parties.

Wos host Du grod von mia gsagt Du gstingada kloana Saugrattler? Du woast fei scho dass I schon aus da Grundi im Hochzug bei de Gebirgsjaga ois Besta aussaganga bin, I war in am Hauffa saugeheime Raffareien mit de Mohammedana und hob über 300 obgraglt, garantiert. I bin a drainierta Untergrundkempfa und I bin da beste Scharfschütz von da ganzn Armee. Du bist nix für mi ois a zui mera, I blos Dir so prazis Dei Liachtal aus wie's die Welt no ned gseng hod, host me? Du glaubst Du kanntst davokemma nachdem Du sowas von mia gsogt host aufm Internet? Da denkst nummoi drüba noch, Oarschgsicht. Grao wie mia redn ruaf I meine Spionage-Spezln im ganzn Bayernland zsam, und dei IP werd grod im moment zruckverfoigt oiso richt Di scho amoi her fürn Sturm, Du Wurm. Der Sturm der wo des kloane Ding ausradiert wos Du rührselig Lebn nennst. Du bist aufgschmissn. Kloana. I kon übaroi sei, ollawei, und i kon de auf mera wia siebnhundad Artn dagragln, und des aloa mit meine Handerln. I bin ned blos gübt im Wirtshausraffa, sondern i hob a an zugriff auf des ganze Arsenal von der freiwillign Feiawehr von Olching und i werd des ois hernemma damit Dei gstingada Hintan vom schena Bayernland runtergspült werd, Du kloana Schoashauffn! Wenn Du gwusst hätts wos Dei kloana "schlauer" Kommentar auf Sup Forums runterreisst, dann hättst wahrscheinlich Dei voisoachts Maul ghoidn. Aba Du hosts ned kenna, Du host Dei Mei aufreissn miassn, und jetzt zoist, Du gottverdammta Troddl. I scheiss an grant üba Dir aus und Du werst drin dasauffa. Du bist komplett hi, Klona!

>Mental illness is an ILLNESS just like anything physical.

Her argument was never logical to begin with. It was emotionally charged. If you were able to pick apart an argument more than inaccurately throwing around logical fallacies like an autist you'd realize that.

trigger warnings precondition audiences to negatively react to the art or information they are about to be exposed to. It's like spoiling a a movie twist and saying it's offensive at the same time.

Trigger warnings, if institutionalized, are a stepping stone to bans.

You have yet to respond to her argument in any coherent way, and your posts have been full of logical holes. Whatever you've said so far lacks any validity whatsoever. Either respond intelligently, or stop posting.

tldr all that shit.
If you aren't a combat vet, I'd say 99% chance you don't have PTSD just a bullshiting and having a pity party.

Just because they hurt your feelings doesn't make their point less valid

Shart in mart.

>logical fallacy: the post

I don't need to respond civilly to something that doesn't have any substance to begin with. It was an emotional rant. Period. I asked what her ptsd was caused by because the last time someone talked about their "PTSD" it was bullshit because she claimed Twitter have it to her. You're defending an appeal to emotion and trying to make the logical high ground when you never had it to begin with.

>who know nothing about psychologyor how brains function
Baseless speculation and he/she has yet to demonstrate he/she knows anything about psychology or how the brain functions.

>Most of these people are academics and educators
Appeal to authority.

>refusing to acknowledge a legitimate disability is absolutely shameful.
Emotional appeal based on her personal moral determination, and thus completely subjective.

>As a highly successful student who graduated from her undergraduate institution suma cum laude
Another appeal to authority.

>lives with active PTSD, I'm disgusted by the way people callously refer to trigger warnings as "coddling" and a means to allow students to dominate classroom discussion and keep all critical thinking out of the learning environment.
She doesn't refute the claim that PTSD is being used as an excuse for a particular narrative to dominate discussions and learning.

I would go on but you get the idea. There is not a single piece of coherent logic or evidence within this rambling diatribe.

My father was drafted into the Vietnam War, and escaped to Canada before he was deployed. To this day you cannot utter the words "war" "Vietnam" or "Charlie" without him becoming a crying, quivering mess. War related PTSD is real. Being called fat or ugly online isn't the same.

fuck off nigger

exercise your second amendment right by killing yourself with a loaded shotgun

The american hit the nail on the head. Ill never fully understand why people are so easily influenced by appeals to emotion and authority especially when they can be so easily abused

>wall of text

learn good communication skills cuck