Is $10 an hour a livable wage anywhere in the country?

Is $10 an hour a livable wage anywhere in the country?

Eh. Not really.

We have pretty cheap cost of living here in MS though.

If you work 50 hrs/week, yeah.

Also if you are on minimum wage past high school you are a failure as a human being.

Nope.

you mean past college/trade school right? who can get anything more than minimum wage past high school?

I live in my SUV and have a tear drop trailer. I make 12$ an hour but my bills are negligible. I also take classes and will soon be able to increase my standard of living. You just gotta be flexible with the times.

do you live in the suv or the trailer? also where do you park?

raising the minimum wage will not help when a portion of the income tax is going to lazy cunts who will never show up as unemployed because they never gave the thought of working a chance

I understand why social programs are a great safety net for some Americans, but why must I pay for someone to continue to be lazy past a point? Where is the cutoff point?

I spend a lot of time in the trailer, and I use the SUV like an office. I park in front of places with wifi and spend the night often in walmart parking lots and campgrounds.

Yes, easily
I do it right now while paying student loans

Do you have anything to defend yourself? Any firearm?

What state?

honestly no but I am pro gun

It's doable in the Northwest and Appalachia if you're thrifty & have roommates

If you're single with no kids and live in a shithole.

Nice quads, stay safe user.

Alabama

Sure if you want to work 40+ hours a week, split rent 3 different ways and eat 1 meal a day.

This. I make 10/hr at an apartment complex in Indiana and can easily afford my bills, plumbing apprenticeship expenses, and going out on weekends. I work 8-4 M-F, have classes twice a week, and since I'm just a groundskeeper, no emergency calls at 3 am because some nigger flushed a box of condoms down the toilet and clogged the main line in the building

yes, but you need to work 40 hours a week, every week. Not 48 weeks a year, every week.
You ride a shitty bike to wor or walk, no car, and have like 5 room mates.

Living alone in the Bay area of California is impossible with just one minimum wage job, never move to this shit hole please.

I live on $600 a month in Memphis, TN.

AMA

It's also very doable in a lot of the midwest. Just avoid living in states with fuckhuge costs of living like New York and California.

I make 15 an hour in new york and spend like 90% of my money on rent and utilities. Its fucking miserable here

Id be living like a king somewhere like conneticut

>Bay area of California
>One of the top two most expensive places to live in the whole country
cherry picking much? Dude, America is bigger than all of eupore. Find some no name town in some no name city if you want to live cheap.

How. I live on 15.92 an hour in southern Georgia and only have 200-300 left over every other paycheck (get paid bi weekly and one check falls on rent day and Bill day) cost of living here is tiny.

Can i crash on your pile of leaves for a week or so?

Dude, just buy a one way plane ticket literally anywhere else, pack a decent outfit for interviews and bum it out for a bit while looking for a job. A temp agency will land you something pretty quick to get you on your feet.

If you live with your parents rent free, yes.

Otherwise no. I mean you can live but you'd be fucking miserable.

CT is still pretty expensive. You're not gonna pay less than 800 for a decent one bedroom in New Haven or Hartford. You can get $600 studio apartments in Hartford, but they're in areas where people get shot, mugged, and assaulted regularly.

rent is only $475 a month for me

I have two jobs making $9.50 at one and $7.50 at the other. I pull over 60 hours a week sometime but go out at least one or two times a week. Regular take home cash is around $700+ bi-weekly.

I live in the house I grew up in, and graduated college last December. My dad got real sick so I give my mom about $300 a month, but outside of that I can save everything else.

I put $200 a month into my IRA and another $50 in another fund. $187 for college loans - everything else is mine.

The plan is to move on when I have $10,000 saved up. It has been a few months and I am about halfway there.

TL;DR - it is all in your expenses. I have a cousin in Philadelphia who makes 35k a year, and is scraping by. I budget well, and work too much to spend everything I make while still finding ways to let loose sometimes.

Check'd

Monthly expenses

Rent: $250 (3 bedroom house in Midtown which is mostly liberal white people surrounded by nigs.)

Utilities: $100

Phone:$50

Food:$100( Rice, beans , pasta, vegetables, cheap fruits.)

Entertainment: $100 ( Buying a new game, buying a gram of weed or a 6 pack of beer. Moderation is key here.

I don't own a car and ride my single speed bike everywhere. I draw cartoons for a living and when I want to travel or go on a trip I just work an odd labor job a day a week to save for it.

See that's the thing, if you're at work all day every day you can't spend that much money.

100 a month on food?

jesus christ that must be tough.

Yeah, I lived off of $8.50 in Los Angeles. Shared a house with 6 people, didnt have cable, didnt pay for cell bill, made my own food, didnt have a car. Now I make six figs.

250 rent in Memphis gets you a meth lab infested ghetto get the fuck out of here.

25 a week on food is bullshit.

100 on utilities means 300 a months split 3 ways, which is fucking ridiculous. you guys need to learn to turn off a light.

100 in entertainment should be spent on better things.

You live a shitty life I'm not jealous.

>I live in the house I grew up in
That helps a lot.
But yeah, if you don't control your expenses you'll always be poor, because if your income goes up you'll just spend more.
protip: be looking around for a trade or other gig you can do long term. Working two jobs for low wages is much harder when you get older.
what midtown? I really should move to the interior

its not bad in the south

Sure, if you live in a rural area or plan to share rent, unless you find a great deal.

>$10/hour
>160 hours worked per month
>$1600 pre-tax, about $1200 post-tax
>Live where you can get rent for $500 or less
>Drive cheap car or use public transportation
>Eat at home, don't dine out, don't pay for stupid shit like fancy phone, cable TV with all channels, etc. that you can do without
>Still save about $200/month if you play it smart

Of course, you can't do this shit in San Francisco or somewhere that rent is excessive unless you're planning to live in your vehicle or on the streets, but if you go where living is more reasonable, it can be done, and shitloads of Americans do it every day.

It's the faggots who want to spend $5 at Starbucks every day, want to get drinks out on the town every weekend, eat fast food daily, etc. who can't make it work.

I make one meal a week which is my food for the week. It's about 20-30$ all told (depending on meat prices). As far as expenses idk how you have a 3 bed house at 300$ a month. I live in a one bed appt for 500$. Of course I have a gf so that's probably why I can't save much. If you want to live cheap stay out of a relationship.

The term living wage is completely subjective. You can live on a lot less than 7.25 an hour. You can't live well on less than 7.25 but you can live. 'Living wage' is really talking about a certain standard of living. What that standard should be is completely subjective.

More importantly high minimum wages hurt everyone except people that expect to make minimum wage for the rest of their life which is a tiny percentage of people.

It is in flyover.
My buddy lives in Southern Indiana and his rent is only like $300 a month all bill included.

He works in a factory and is flyover rich while only making around $15 an hour at Toyota. He owns like 3 vehicles, an extensive gun collection, every game console etc etc.

Actually fly over is the only place the American dream is possible. Which is why those states still vote in favor of it.

People owned by Jews like Cali and New York will never understand that lifestyle.

Bumfuck Mississippi and Utah, maybe.

Otherwise, no.

If you have a couple of roommates then it could be if you're young with few commitments or responsibilities and happen to live in an area with a low cost living.

>owns every game console

God I wish I was him

Housing prices are fucked because of the Chinese middle class being much more massive than the US middle class. They can afford retarded prices that poorer people living in the US can't. Additionally you have places with retard liberals like NYC, all of California, the complete northwest, and you get fucked laws that make upwards mobility for Americans nonexistent

Mexicans do it in LA. It helps that they don't pay income tax.

Get mad if you want, doesn't bother me.

Check out Earlyretirementextreme.com if you want more details on this kind of life.

I have an associates and a B.S., but they are both very broad. Maybe in the next year or so I want to go to a CC and pick up maybe something to tie it all together to enhance my resume - OR do grad school. No way in hell will I juggle 2 jobs like this forever - just establishing a good work ethic, a knack for deadlines and overall just biding my time for my next big move.

If you're not a octomom sheboon, yes. Do le maths.

Also get good so you can get a better job.

roommates, The actual rent for the house is $750

No, but the important thing is that a business can hire you even though you won't be able to survive without government assistance but you got on your fucking bootstraps!

What part of Memphis are you in?

I grew up in Cordova years ago. I hear it's been overrun by niggers and turned into a shithole. Really depressing man

Yes, but people think anything less than prepared food or eating out every day is literal poverty.

>New York
>Leaf

On vacation?

I live in NY you can live off that and probably cash 200 bucks for savings/spending. 1k for room and utilities and $300 for food. 120 for gas and misc supplies.

It won't be pleasant but you can.

300 a month is what we pay for a shitty run down house in Kentucky

WHERE IN INDIANA IS THIS

Midtown, Between Central and Union. It's still nig heavy, but we've been gentrifying quite a bit lately. Things are getting a tad bit better.

I mean you could in Alabama if you worked 10 hours days 7 days a week and skipped on cable and meat

But is this a life worth living?

To be fair if you can get in on some tech business or designing apps or something there's no better place in the world

Yeah, 300 rent is crazy for me to hear. Like one bedroom or studio not even in NYC is 1k.

I would move out to the Midwest when I get my masters in natural resource management

which country has the least amount of niggers and arabs and you can live cheap?

10.50 was fine for me in Columbus.

Love the people ITT saying its impossible despite many anons who have actually lived it. It kind of makes me mad, liberals invalidating my life story because it makes them feel good about themselves.

LOL.

You can't get a single apartment in Orange County for much less than 2,000 a month.

sorry, I meant state

yes holy shit are you retarded

it requires like no money to live

This guy. I like this guy.

This idiot needs to go to school.

I'm on 15/hour right out of high school so

Labor jobs like construction and freight pay 15+ an hour usually and they'll hire anyone right out of high school, all they need is quantity, not quality in their employees. Most of them will even hire people with GED's.

kentucky, i lived on my own for 1 year making a little less, albeit living in a studio apartment and eating poor bulk foods like rice and beans, but i survived. I got a better job now and get paid 14 an hour, and still am able to survive on my own (although i currently have a roommate because i like to spend money on myself).

Normal rent around where I live is in the 500-900 dollar area.