"Ah, ha ha, *munch, munch* ol' J.R.R., didn't, ah, see you come in! -burp- No please, please, [smack] sit down...

"Ah, ha ha, *munch, munch* ol' J.R.R., didn't, ah, see you come in! -burp- No please, please, [smack] sit down, sit down, there' something we, (pant) need to talk about. *farts* Heavens excuse me, oh ho! Well getting down to 'brass tacks' - or brass tax, I might say SNORT! - yes, well I was sitting, counting the money coming in from, slurp, my show - terribly taxing ah yes? - when the thought occurred me, watching that money from my award-winning show... [belch] from my, (siiippp) award, award, awar... sorry, I lost my breath, award-winning books, that I [chews] that I can't seem to recall you mentioning [more chewing] anything about Gondor's *blows nose* taxation policy. Surely I must have -releases one long wet smelly fart - missed it while glancing through the pages (cough). You did [scratches ballsack] say something about it, right? Sales tax? (sweats) Value-added tax? *licks lips* Don't just sta - oh my my heart - stand there my man, out with it! Surely the, the thought has crossed your mind?! -chuckles until accidental urination-"

It's funny because Martin is fat and old.

It's funny because it suggests the duality of man, you mongolian.

>sunset found him sitting in the pizzeria, procrastinating

can someone literally explain the joke of taxes in GOT to me

Germ thinks his books are better the lotr because his world has a tax plan.

did he actually say that?

Not outright, but he impies that his have more depth and "morally grey" characters

GRRM said some quote that autists here can't seem to wrap their heads around. When GRRM asked about Aragorn's tax policy, he wasn't literally saying JRRT should have written about taxes - he's saying there's a lot of details that can't be focused on when writing something as idealistic as LOTR. JRRT also couldn't focus on the outcomes of "orc babies in their orc cribs" for these reasons. GRRM's work distinguishes itself from JRRT's by focusing moreso on realism and complexity.

GRRM has never said he was better than JRRT, and certainly not for any tax-related reason.

Why did he say that?
Got is literally low fantasy. LOTR High Fantasy.
Why was there any reason to say it in the first place?

Probably cuz some cunt interviewer asked him how his work was different than Tolkien's, and he had to give some pithy answer. "Taxes" and "orc babies" did the trick. "Gandalf should have stayed dead" was another sound bite that you just know came from some interview.

Also GoT is high fantasy as well, but I think I know what you mean, it's not all wizards and magic.

Oh alright. Thanks for clearing that up.

nothing wrong with being low fantasy and i didnt mean it as an insult.

>GoT is high fantasy
nah it's dark fantasy

>The ship groaned and growled beneath him like a constipated fat man straining to shit

>The ship groaned and growled beneath him like a constipated fat man straining to shit

High fantasy is defined as fantasy set in an alternative, fictional ("secondary") world, rather than "the real", or "primary" world. The secondary world is usually internally consistent, but its rules differ from those of the primary world. By contrast, low fantasy is characterized by being set in the primary, or "real" world, or a rational and familiar fictional world, with the inclusion of magical elements.

"High fantasy" means its set in its own world, "low fantasy" means its set on Earth. Harry Potter is low fantasy, GoT is high fantasy, Lord of the Rings is technically low fantasy too since its set in some nameless ancient period of our own world's prehistory.

yeah i guess star wars is high fantasy too

that's not what it means

high fantasy just means there's more elements of fantasy

in game of thrones there's no elves, no dwarfs, no gnomes, no unicorns. there's barely dragons and there's hardly any magic

game of thrones is the most clear cut example of low fantasy i've ever seen. it's been debatable up until recently if there even is magic in game of thrones

...the rape, George... the rape

Its the other way around. LOTR is low fantasy because its written to be the mythology of England.
GRRM is high fantasy because its on another world.

Gods he was strong then

>no elves
false, COTF/white walkers
>no dwarves
false
>no gnomes
stone men in valyria? but okay, fair
>no unicorns
skagos
>barely dragons
they're a sign that magic is coming back into the world
>hardly any magic
red priests, witches, blood magic, patchface prophecies, euron turning into some otherworldly fucked up surreal figure

jesus christ, even if that was true it's not how those definitions work

ASOIAF is a lot better than LOTR. Westeros+Essos is a much more interesting world than garbage Middle Earth. Also it doesn't have to rely on fantasy tropes (inb4 lotr made the tropes. Doesn't matter when you are reading it in 2017).

>inb4 lotr made the tropes. Doesn't matter when you are reading it in 2017)

If inventing tropes makes the staleness more redeeming why are you not reading 12th century poems?

>red priests, witches, blood magic, patchface prophecies, euron turning into some otherworldly fucked up surreal figure

>lotr made the tropes

these fucking kids in this thread talking about harry potter and lord of the rings and comparing it to game of thrones

if you had read more than 10 books in your life you would know the difference between low and high fantasy

we are not shitting on grrm by saying it's low fantasy, it's a very objective definition that even grrm would probably agree with

i think martin was drawing some inspiration from real life when he wrote this magnificent line

I agree it's not high fantasy but I'm saying your reasons for it aren't exactly watertight

You're just spouting nonsense now. You can't just make up what high fantasy means without citing anything.

low fantasy > high fantasy, since you actually need to create detailed content rather than having a fantasy setting a child can create and fill it with unexplainable "magic", then have autists pretend LOTR's world had detail just because Tolkien made 20 pointless languages.

>rather than having a fantasy setting a child can create and fill it with unexplainable "magic",

>children of the forest
>undead
>red god shenanigans
>faceless men
>three eyed raven

You either have
>Magic and beasts but it's sekrit XDD
or
>People using magic and stuff through history but being retards

Go to bed gurm

In the books there isn't that much coverage on any of those.

>autists pretend LOTR's world had detail just because Tolkien made 20 pointless languages
so how the fuck does grrm's low fantasy have the better level of detail if all those things listed don't have 'that much coverage'??? make your mind up

The detail goes to shit like the politics, logistics, economy, etc.

Not really stuff for show watchers only so you wouldn't know

the problem here is that you're comparing game of thrones to lord of the rings

if you had a few more books to compare with it would be pretty obvious to you what the difference between low and high fantasy is

it just means there's less fantasy, which there CLEARLY IS, i don't see how anyone could dispute this

if i'm getting trolled holy shit good job it's difficult to tell the difference between a complete retard and a troll these days though

It's funny because bodily functions are the height of humor

i don't understand why i would need to cite anything, but if you want me to teach you what high fantasy is sure, let's see exhibit 1, from wikipedia's /High_Fantasy's page

>The works of J. R. R. Tolkien—especially The Lord of the Rings—are regarded as archetypal works of high fantasy

now let's see what wikipedia has to say about low fantasy

>Low fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy fiction. In the study of fantasy literature, it has been defined as fiction where magical events intrude on an otherwise normal world

where magical events intrude on an otherwise normal world. in s1 of game of thrones there's maybe one scene with white walkers and then one short scene of dany giving birth to her dragons. at that point you don't even know if there is magic in the show. dragons and white walkers aren't necessarily magic, dragons are just a species of animal and white walkers could be wildlings with war paint

>5 years between book 3 and 4
>6 years between book 4 and 5
>7 years between book 5 and 6

So can we expect A Dream of Spring to be released in 2026? George will be 76 by then.

A Dream of Spring will never be released. Not by George, at least.

He looks like an older fat Connor McGregor

good pasta

nope not what it means, High Fantasy has more elements of the dichotomy of good and evil, and good an evil are clearly distinguishable, also magic is very prevalent and magical creatures are everywhere Dark Fantasy is generally set in a more realistic setting where there once was magic and it is now fading from the world, ex. The Witcher series.

That's actually a very good point. LotR is a story about myth, legend, sacrifice, and characters. It's romantic and poetic and tragic. Aragorn is destined to be king, but GRRM doesn't write stories like that. He writes stories about people who think they're destined to be king, and then fail to bring prosperity because a king's job is more complex than being charismatic, heroic, and noble.

I'm a much bigger fan of lotR than GoT, but that comment about tax policy is actually pretty poignant when you think about it in the grand scheme of GRRM's novels. It's an objective statement about the differences between his writing and the writing of someone who writes more traditional heroic fantasy.

Best post in this garbage thread so far.

You stupid piece of shit, going off the exact same page I'll show you while you're a fucking idiot.

>High fantasy is defined as fantasy set in an alternative, fictional ("secondary") world, rather than "the real", or "primary" world.[citation needed] The secondary world is usually internally consistent, but its rules differ from those of the primary world. By contrast, low fantasy is characterized by being set in the primary, or "real" world, or a rational and familiar fictional world, with the inclusion of magical elements.[3][4][5][6]

The setting of Game of Thrones and A Song of Ice and Fire are set in an alternative fictional world rather than the real world. Unlike works such as Harry Potter (low fantasy), where there is clearly a real world with some magic elements intruding, Planetos is its own world with its own internally consistent rules. Prophecies often come true, dragons are real, the seasons follow abnormal patterns, magic exists, magic swords exist, etc. The magical elements are too commonplace and too radical (significantly affecting the course of both Game of Thrones and the history of the world prior to those events) to be described as intrusions into an otherwise normal world.

Additionally, on the right of the page it explicitly lists both "A Song of Ice and Fire" and "Game of Thrones" as examples of High Fantasy works.

Though it may have minimized the magical elements originally, there is no question that Game of Thrones/ASoIaF are both high fantasy.

Does he even write about tax policies in his own books?

But people still read LOTR all the time, so it must still have contemporary merit by this definition.

>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

Thats how they work faggot, not because they have the word high or low it makes them better or worst one from other.

It's not a major subject. There are a few mentions of taxes and such, but they're usually used to link bigger things.

Not that it really matters, when it comes to numbers the fatman can't get anything right.

Or, in Tolkien's case, being as grand a group of irredeemable bastards as the heroes of Greek Myth.

I don't get it. Who's talking? Is Martin talking to himself? What is happening?

There were no fucking baby Orcs, Gurm.

Literally! They didn't exist! Or rather, baby orcs were baby elves, whom would be universally untainted by the corruption that transformed them into Orcs. And without Sauron to guide them, they broke down into mindless raiding savages that - as they lacked a will of their own and any semblance of intelligence without Sauron - were culled whenever they attacked, like the parasite predators they were.

He actually went into detail on this!

This is bullshit though, there are plenty of deus ex machines and characters are given random powers(ice spear, nk's mark) to advance the plot. The realistic elements are suspended for the sake of poorly written villains.

Except it's not fantasy, it's sci-fi.

science fantasty

I'll kill you

Cersei's plan is to implement a massive import tariff on undead, bankrupting the white walkers and forcing them to repatriate beyond the wall.

Screencap this.

>Futuristic Fantasy, ftfy

But set long, long ago.

how can you not get it? he's talking to J.R.R.

>what is context of the entire statement for $100 Alex?

>GRRM's work distinguishes itself from JRRT's by focusing moreso on realism and complexity.
What's the point when the culmination of everything is "they are all forced to fight a soulless evil monster army and that's the end of it"?

>"The more she drank, the more she shat. And the more she shat the more she drank."
Truly the next Tolkien.

Female and baby orcs did exist.

>I didn't read the appendices.jpeg

>The early 21st century is seeing an increase in prominence of the work of authors such as George R. R. Martin and Joe Abercrombie, whose high fantasy novels (works set entirely in fantasy worlds) have been referred to as "low fantasy" because they de-emphasize some typical "high fantasy" elements such as magic and non-human races in favor of a more gritty portrayal of human conflict.

There are baby orcs. Orcs reproduce like men, and I don't recall it being stated anywhere that they come out of the orc cunts adult already.

Like fun, accessibility, and a blockbuster trilogy on the big screen.

Yep. I don't blame D&D for a lot of the drop in quality of the show but they fucked this idea up by whitewashing Tyrion, Jon and Sandor Clegane and ruining Jaime and Stannis' arcs. I would actually argue that Daenerys is the most realistically "grey" protagonist in the show now

>There were no fucking baby Orcs, Gurm.
That's exactly his point. Everything in LOTR is dumbed down to shit to fit Tolkien's generic narrative.