STARSHIP TROOPERS THREAD

I fucking love this movie. i hope you do too. Come talk about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys
youtube.com/watch?v=e4aNmgCZwOE
youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

One of the greatest films of all time.

I watched when I was 12 years old, it was the best movie in the world then and stil is now.

THE ONLY GOOD BUG IS A DEAD BUG

My idea of a perfect society. Why can't we have a society like this bros?

IM FROM THE TOILET AND I SAY FLUSH 'EM ALL

Why should i have to know how to trow a knife if i can kill you just pressing a button?

Saw it in theaters, wished it wouldn't end. Never happened again with any other movie.

Satire isn't a very fun form of comedy in a full-length movie. It works in short sketches but after like 5 minutes you're just sitting there going "yes I get it, it's satire, it pokes fun in what it displays", waiting for it to be over

i totally enjoyed the first movie. the movie with the "praying to jesus for miracle and voila we're saved" (the third or fourth one) was utterly idiotic garbage.

I'm from Buenos Aires, AMA

(((They))) cannot abide a mono-ethnic society with military superiority over them.

I forget wat its about?
what's it about?

I love it because is where everyting it's strarted

dizzy's perky tits

What do you say?

where were you when the asteroid flattened buenos aires?

dear sister, are you reading this?

No alien enemy to fight

Put your hand on that wall trooper

So how did those bugs fling asteroids across space?

Epic Movie Theory: Is Starship Troopers a sequel to Watchmen?

I'm from Berlin and I say let em all in.

>Government kills you and blames it on bugs 900,000 lightyears away

>implying kikes aren't ayylmaos

Makes no sense since the squid aliens don't exist in watchmen, they were just a made up enemy by Ozy to stop the cold war. Plus, it was a squid, not bugs

I said to fight

how did those bugs develop organic projectiles capable of reaching orbit accurately enough to target vessels
>protip: the bugs aren't actually retarded

Port Joe Smith was a false flag.

i might be misremembering but i think they pushed one of the asteroids from our solar systems asteroid belt towards earth. they probably sent a covert ops team or something.

I really enjoy this movie, despite it being downright terrible. For some reason it's just so damn comfy

because women can vote

PUT YOUR HAND ON THAT WALL!!

Only movie I've seen in theatre 3 times.

i think they weren't accurate. they were very heavy/numerous that the ships in space could not avoid all of the plasma projectiles. the bridge conversation was "it's ok. intelligence said it would be light." when there were a few projectiles coming up and the ships were easily avoiding them. but later captain exclaimed "someone screwed up! intel didn't say it would be this heavy!" when ships started getting hit.

did the books go all bible thumper like the movies did?

I like how the movie really feels like it's a high budget fake recruitment flick in-setting.

Bible thumper? Are you fucking retarded?

yeah but space is really really big, even getting a near miss would take a supercomputer to calculate proper direction and thrust, not to mention actually detecting the ships in orbit in the first place

the first and second movies were not fundamentalist christian propaganda unlike the third one where they have religious discussion and the two were saved right after they prayed to jesus.

and the books as far as i remember do not mention religion. it's mainly political theory which when i read then as a young man i disagreed with but now agree with.

the butt-plasma bugs were just saturating the area where the ships are with plasma projectiles not aiming at specific ships. imagine a ship with a dozen going directly towards it and tries to dodge left but another dozen is also going towards that are dodge right but another dozen is also going there and so on with all possible directions ship can go to evade so no matter where you go to try to evade there'll be a projectile going towards that point in space. they could fly away from planet away from projectiles they did not seem to be faster but none of the ships in the movie tried that. they were evading in directions parallel to the planet's surface.

>tfw Sup Forumstards misinterpret this movie as having some kind of pro-fascist slant

I don't think you know what perky means

Starship troopers wasn't mono-ethnic, unless you mean in the sense that there was one world culture.

It's a future where America took over. That explains the football and the propaganda.

>dat soundtrack
There is no better theme to play whilst battling your enemy.

LotRfags can fuck off and not live forever!

different user here, i don't think you realize how many fucking projectiles you would have to fire to hit targets in the upper atmosphere or especially actual space by just firing in that direction.

how do you feel about the sequels?

Never watched 2 but people say is terrible.

I watched 3 a long time ago but i kind of liked it, but I think it was maynly because of this:

youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys

So why were a bunch of grunts referencing Sartre?

Love it!

Yes it was monoethnic.
You're confusing it with monoracial.

If the entire world was like the UD military then Buenos Aires might actually become a "Latin Paradise" instead of the shit hole it currently is.

Pretty much exactly what you wrote. Two was hot garbage. Three was decent, but that song is pretty much the only part I remember.

no they didn't. The books are also completely different from the first movie. The satire in the book is a lot harder to spot and makes a genuine case for military autocracy. I absolutely love the first movie however i feel it did ruin the books because:

>Verhoeven had never read the book, and attempted to read it for the film, but it made him "bored and depressed", so he read only a few chapters:
>I stopped after two chapters because it was so boring,...It is really quite a bad book. I asked Ed Neumeier to tell me the story because I just couldn't read the thing. It's a very right-wing book.
and
>Because the movie originated from an unrelated script, with names and superficial details from the novel being added retroactively, there are many significant differences between the original book and the film.

Its a great movie and its probably tied with 5th element as my all time fav but it really should of been given a different name to open up the possibility of a real starship troopers film

>implying their society isn't superior to ours

US*

I have the book but never read it, is it worth it?

THIS IS AN UGLY PLANET! A BUG PLANET!

Best girl

Its heavily implied that it is actually a false flag attack

i'm saying it's how it happened in the movie based on what the captain exclaimed ("someone fucked up! intel didn't say it would be this heavy!") when they started getting hit.

and the bugs although intelligent have the insect advantage of being able to produce large number of insects whether soldiers or butt-plasma bugs. we see the soldiers capable of killing dozens maybe hundred per soldier but are still overwhelmed by the huge number of bugs. in the novels, they mentioned this advantage in a humorous tongue-in-cheek manner and said something like "they need more warriors so supervisor calls up hatchery and says hi ed warm up the hatchery we need a million soldiers next week" or something like that. it's a major planet that's mentioned to be more heavily defended that they thought and has a queen on it so hatching and deploying a dozen million butt-plasma bugs should be easy for them. a dozen million may seem a lot but remember the bugs were a hundred times more populous occupying several systems than human and humans were in the trillions then.

SCREEEEEEEEEEE

>im from guam and i say KILL THEM ALL!
me after NK nukes it.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Cgi was so crispy for the time. Going to watch this now.

seen it a month ago or so
it still holds up compared to the hobbit trilogy

>You alright son?
>.. its my arm sir, i think its broken
>MEDIC
youtube.com/watch?v=e4aNmgCZwOE

Topkek

>He hasn't gotten drunk, played 'Klendathu Drop' and cried over the wonderful memories

youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk

All that text
>brain bugs know physics

Starship Troopers shows the only possible positive future for humanity.

It's either that, Mad Max, or extinction.

>I blast that shit in my cae and get weird looks from kids

No it's from Klendathu. It's a solar system full of asteroids and in the film series it's also how they spread colonies

>stronk soldier gurlz being vaguely competent
no

star trek

i think you're right and i did misremember. did they mention whether the bugs use some kind of ftl or portal tech for the asteroid? i don't remember them mentioning it but i may have missed or forgotten it.

Troopers is one of my favorite books of all time. Issues that other writers ignore are tackled with impressive honesty, and it really does show just how flawed society today is. Anyone who calls it controversial or right-wing is either a simpleton or a liar. If anything, the terms for federal service as described by Heinlein are exceedingly liberal.

The bigs also started laying eggs in the millions in preparation for an earth/bug fight. Fucking Mormons...

I can't remember what movie or game said this, but it's implied they have a plasma bug variation that can launch rocks or spores into space, non-FTL. The biology teacher definitely said they populate with spores. No sure how they fling large ass asteroids but they know how to use plasma and roughnecks shows a few living ships.

Honestly if it wasn't for the fact humans needed the living space, the navy would just bombard everything with nukes.

Yeah it gets a lot of weird criticisms, particularly from post-WWII humanists. I think it's weird since Heinlein considered the draft slavery and implied even basic ship workers, medical practitioners, etc, were on the same citizen level as as soldiers in the ST-universe.

IM FROM BUENOS AIRES AND I SAY KILL EM ALL

It's action, not comedy. Get the fuck off Sup Forums until you understand basic shit

Star Trek is impossible though

Not a shithole at all, it's probably the best city in South America. I doubt you've ever been there you dumb burger.

Of course being a Canuck probably helped me enjoy myself since we are actually liked abroad, we don't have to sow another country's flag on our backpacks.

>B-BUT MUH ALL FASCISM IS LITERALLY HITLER

Hmm.
Maybe I will read, tell me more.

Satire does not inherently equate to comedic value. Just because something "pokes fun at" a subject doesn't mean the thing itself is trying to be a comedy. You were watching an entirely different movie than everyone else because of it and I really do feel bad for you.

*sew
typo

Pain is in your mind!

i think the main controversy is that not everybody can vote only those who have served in the military can.

the reason i asked about ftl or portal tech used on the asteroid that hit buenos aires is that klendathau is light-years away and would take millenia or at least hundreds of years to reach earth non-ftl and the war isn't more than a decade old. i need to re-read that part of the novel.

as impossible (or possible) as any sci-fi like troopers.

No reread what I wrote. All citizens can vote. You can become a citizen through transportation (argued over in the book), medicine (surgeon general holds a military rank, NHS is full of doctors and researchers), general goverment employment (social workers), etc. It was nwver said "only the military can vote." That's what people inferred and incorrectly, especially the writer who was too dumb to read a young adults novella

Yes, but be aware that the movie and the book are very different tonally. The book plays everything straight and was just a story of Rico serving in a futuristic space military and follows his career from boot camp to being an officer. Its interesting to read because it basically spawned most of the tropes about space marines that every other military space sci-fi since uses.

Other differences are:

The mobile infantry in the book wear power armor with built in jet thrusters. Its where the name mobile infantry comes from. Its also considered the first sci-fi to have power armor. As a result the battles in the book don't have the comically large amount of casualties the movie has.

The mobile infantry don't actually use guns. Heinlein apparently never heard of AP rounds or anti tank rifles, so he had guns become obsolete with the advent of power armor. As a result the MI are armed with mini rocket launchers, mini nuke launchers, and flame throwers. Standard MI engagement works by hopping around the battlefield with the jet thrusters firing nukes at blobs of enemies and then finishing off single targets with the rockets or flame throwers.

The bugs are only a race of giant sapient arachnids that use laser guns and spaceships. Their technology is roughly equal to human tech. They aren't mindless swarmers with different sub species like in the movie. So no brain bugs, bio plasma, or fliers.

Humanity doesn't underestimate the bugs like they do in the movie. Its public knowledge that the bugs have equivalent tech so there isn't a moment like in the movie where they are caught off guard about the bugs having ranged weapons. The asteroid strike that started the war is the same however.

Dizzy is a guy, was never a love interest, and only exists in the prologue.

Carmen exists in the book, there is no double love triangle in the book however since Dizzy is a random guy and only women serve as pilots. She's also much more like-able in the book.

Oh in the novel the bugs definitely have FTL, sorry I thought you meant the film. In the book there's naval battles and each warrior has guns as well but they're weaker than the MI suits. I honestly have no idea how the movie explains it, they're literally on opposite sides of the Galaxy

No you should read The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress instead, it's by the same author and it's better

yes, i know you said citizens. and, yes, all citizens can vote. but in the novel not everyone can become a voting citizen. ergo, not everyone can vote.

rico's father wasn't and they had and argument over rico joining the military and during argument rico's father said something like "why join? just so you can vote?".

>Heinlein apparently never heard of AP rounds or anti tank rifles,
He was an officer in the navy, he definitely did. They don't use guns because it doesn't make sense to; they are always surrounded and outnumbered on any enemy planet they fall on. A ammo box for a gun firing at one target takes up space for nukes. Flamethrowers are used to burn the skinnies and their buildings or kill bugs in bulk

>The asteroid strike that started the war is the same however

instead of me looking for the novel and re-reading it, i'll ask you instead. did the novel state how the asteroid travelled the light-years distance from klendathau to earth?

You realize this is all satire right?
You are supposed to loathe the militaristic society like any sane person.