Does this film stack up with the likes of 2001: A Space Odyssey or Citizen Kane?

Does this film stack up with the likes of 2001: A Space Odyssey or Citizen Kane?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h6VCU_ol_wA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yeah

>this thread again

Unironically yes.

no
*sharts*

Quentin the videogame playing, reality show watching, game of thrones fan thinks so

Who?

Compared to the others this one is just tumbling down
tumbling down
tumbling down

Is this theatrical poster canon? Did they really marvel at third impact together, if only for a brief moment?

Quentin the videogame playing, reality show watching, game of thrones fan.

whats so great about 2001? I feel like it's one of those movies everyone tells you is so great before you even see it, like its great just because everyone says its so great

I like to think so. That's a pretty pleasent thought for an otherwise debatably grim ending

it has unbeliveable visual effects even for today

Who?

yes.

honestly, i don't get why 2001 is considered the gold standard to compare great films because despite being visually beautiful, it is honestly quite a navel-gazing self indulgent fest with little to say and a thin plot stretched over 3 hours so that kubrick could jerk himself off over how pretty his shots look.

yeah it looks nice but is it really the pinnacle of film making and story telling? I don't think so.

evangelion otoh does deal with (or at least sincerely attempts to) several themes which are built over the course of the series and given a conclusive climax in eoe. in terms of plot and themes, it's much richer than 2001 imo.

can someone prove this thread isnt op samefagging?

>citizen kane is good
lmao

How about the poster number.

Yes, it does. It's jut as overhyped as those two.

doesn't even stack up with the worst animated films of today

nothing. you solved the mystery. everybody who says it's great is just putting on airs.

No, it's the DVD cover.
The theatrical poster was this edgefest

That's a cool poster but the text is corny (but then again, so is a lot of the things they say in the movie).

>we want instrumentality
>we want instrumentality too
>lets kill each other over the same goal!

You don't understand what instrumentality is or what it means to be the head of it.

No because 2001 and Kane dont require you to watch 24 episodes of an anime to begin to be able to understand them, EoE cannot hold up on its own without the series.

Gendo didnt want instrumentality at all, he wanted to become god to bring back his waifu

Seele wanted to make humans into tang

2001 covers a lot of stuff, it just doesn't fling shit like eoe

EoE is a masterpiece but you have to watch a 24 episode show beforehand in order for it to make any sense

>heroes nevuh die... For a price

>How disgusting

That's kind of how it goes when the movie is a conclusion of a series

2001 and Kane stand on their own without a series, and therefore are objectively better at telling a story.

Hal 9000 sequence is brilliant. Cinematography is brilliant. Special effects are brilliant. The ending is mystical and leaves the viewer in contemplation.

I can see why someone would think the rest of the film is boring but those things are objectively great about it.

2001 is the most boring movie ever that isn't boring, if that makes any sense.

All these weebs praise it but its got tons of plot holes, logical fallacies, and character flaws. It has neat imagery and some clever religious references and symbolism but its still just a cartoon trying too hard. Woulda been a sweet find for its time though. 2001 is more practical as a science fiction and over all a better observation on the contrast between technology, the void, and the human condition. Citizen Kane is just a good take on economics and politics for one man to observe and make into a movie for its time. In the end its subjective as to what is best. Evangelion is overrated by weebs and they will always plague Sup Forums.

It's better.

name one plot hole, and one logical fallacy please.

Character flaws is to be expected because of the context of the series

I hated Citizen Kane and love EoE but the answer to OP is a hard no for reasons several others have stated.

It's technically inferior to both (obviously), but is superior in every other way.

Joe B, fuck you. that is all.

EoE, and Evangelion as a whole, is a legitimately fantastic sort of discussion on the fundamental nature of relationships, why they exist, why people care about others, etc. It's dead fucking unironically more intelligent than 2001 or Kane.

yup

Nah, it's not even close. I think that the film is good but I prefer the TV ending. FLCL will always be the Gainax's best and that's something that I'd actually put on par with cinema's greatest films.

>not TTGL

Anime can't into dialogue

Congratulations! ending is better

but EoE is GOAT just as a spectacle
I wish I could relive those feels of witnessing it for the first time, it's insanity

Are you saying character flaws are a bad thing? If not you should really phrase yourself better

I don't think he means character flaws as in like they're "flawed people", but as in they're badly constructed characters.

episode 25&26 of the anime is better

How could anybody think this? They are both essential

I don't get the mcdonalds part

>Seele wanted to make humans into tang
Why?

>Why?

All of humanity together = no more loneliness and pain from rejection, one collective entity.

I think End of Evangelion can work as a super arthouse type movie without the series. You still get an idea of Shinji's character, some of Asuka's, and so forth.

>shinji's head on Rei's body

What is the deep meaning behind that bros?

Explain then

He's seeing himself in his mother

>the text is corny

it's kinda creepy too

moms body

>DUDE JUST BE URSELF
>LOL JUST ACCEPT WHO YOU ARE BRO

How is this supposed to be "good" again? I can't believe it built up to THIS.

>upside down in the water with the moon overhead

"Flyyy me to the moon..."

Why are Gendo and Yui not clapping?

>Quentin the videogame playing, reality show watching, game of thrones fan.

Quentin the videogame playing, reality show watching, game of thrones fan.

I like Rei but she can be so creepy at times

same for asuka

Yeah, I don't buy that 25/26 are actually very good. It's a feel good lesson that sort of came out of nowhere, and sure, it's artsy because it's all in their heads, but it's still very simple and not particularly interesting.

EoE is a superior ending that fits the tone of the series a lot better.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>/a

Evangelion transcends the boundaries of anime, pleb

>All those arrows
>Forgot the second slash

Wrong, (((Seele))) only wanted instrumentality for themselves
PSP game confirmed this

It's an overrated, incoherent pile of shit, but it does everything right do make brainless idiots label it a masterpiece.

Bennett the Sage already BTFO'd this movie:

youtube.com/watch?v=h6VCU_ol_wA

You cannot legitimately disprove a single criticism. The problem with the Evangelion fanbase is that they're so delusional they mentally block any flaws or inconsistencies within the show/movie to convince themselves they're fans of something perfect.

The plot is shit and utter nonsense. The religious references are nonsense because they're either in name only or inconsistently altered to a point where the original meaning is completely missing instead of referenced or subverted. The plot holes are usually explained by a book, video game, or some other source. Its hack writing.
That being said the story was great, character motivations were clearly understandable and very logical, maybe too logical even. The writer was influenced by Freud and it shows. Character interactions are even formulaically psychoanalytical at times. It's a good exploration of the human condition and the flaws in the plot don't detract from this at all.

not quite but it's still great, evangelion is too unconventional to be paired up with the hollywood heavyweights

Unironically yes. I would make the argument that many Hollywood sci-fi style designs are directly influenced by NGE. The characters are 10/10 and the ending is such a brutal cluster fuck of emotions.

>The plot is shit and utter nonsense
>That being said the story was great
Your post is utter nonsense.

>Bennett the Sage
stopped reading there. He's a fat, shit stupid clone of Mr. Plinkett as if he was the guy's own basement dwelling son, and makes even pork pie hats look like fedoras. Don't be fooled by what he reviews; this guy is so oldfag of an anime fan that he just up and dropped watching anime in 2000 and jerks himself off to his own self satisfaction whenever "classics" come on. Hell, his "reviews" need fifty thousand quotations because many of them are the parrot and switch tactic of ripping off what the fuck Doug does most of the time, only with anime. All this fat fuck is is just a whiny, smarmy laughable dysphoric diseased dick who plays nothing but video games and make fun of things or Spoony Rage at that which don't meet his criteria of "being anime enough" over a form of animation that isn't even meant to appease his smarmy unfunny shit head, or is more laudable and manlier than him. Even other hardcore otaku think this guy is a tryhard wannabe faggot who skims over anything he reviews and does it for a quick buck. Once was a "rival" to Hope Chapman because of their anime tastes; unsurprisingly, showed us why anime fags like him can't get laid, even with the opposite gender in the fandom. Unsurprisingly was a "reviewer" on Blistered Thumbs before it choked on a dick.

No argument in sight? Just going to shit on the reviewer?
What's wrong? Scared he'll say something correct about what an incoherent mess the Evangelion movie is?

Don't need to, all these autistic TGWTG reviewers do is recap the plot from a wikipedia page while inserting shitty Rick and Morty-tier quips into it. No thanks.

thematically it may be a mix between
>2001
>Synecdoche NY
>Eternal Sunshine

the series itself is better than the movie, though you should watch both

>Don't need to
More like you're completely and utterly incapable.

One person is making valid arguments and the other is mindlessly shitting on said person without even hearing said arguments. Any way you look at it, you're the one who comes across as the massive retard.

>TGWTG wannabee eceleb
>making valid arguments

No. The show and this film are largely irrelevant to the history of cinema. 2001 and Citizen Kane are extremely influential movies, while EoE is merely a curiosity.

He did, you couldn't. You're the idiot here.

This.

Summarize it then faggot, I'm not giving a fat autist clicks whose stench I can smell through the video thumbnail ramble on about an argument that could be summarized in a paragraph.

bunch of nonsense
bunch of overly serious and dark nonsense
this is the problem with most animus, it's why the best animus are the most western centric like pokemon digimon and cowboy bebop

I watched it a couple of months back for the first time with two friends. They're really into anime, I'm not, had never hear of the show or anything. The movie was fucking insanity, in a good way. I always lurk in these threads because I'm still not entirely sure of what I saw that night. Should I watch the anime?

>changed anime industry forever
>irrelevant

yeah yeah reddit.
youre way too smart for cartoons, we get it.

They are all lying to you, it's all a conspiracy to get you to watch a shit movie

>anime
>relevant
Anime is less relevant to the history of cinema than horror or teen comedy. And EoE did not change anything.

No, but this does

This is bootiful

You need to dig a bit harder for the real anime kino.

You mean like Evangelion? Fascinating.