Why was Dumbledore so Out-Of-Character in the Harry Potter movies Goblet of Fire onwards? Like...

Why was Dumbledore so Out-Of-Character in the Harry Potter movies Goblet of Fire onwards? Like, in the book he was always calm and collected but in the movies he was shouting all the time. Did Michael Gambon not study the character properly?

youtube.com/watch?v=uDyju7qp9zs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2g3xrYjreN4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>No!

I'm explicitly talking about movies though

And I'm explicitly telling you to fuck off with this children's book shit

It's better than capeshit though

>d-do I fit in yet???

He never read the books. He just played a stern intimidating school master. Formative year's in british boy's schools will do that to you. Lots of buggering user, lots of it.

someone post it

would it have confused normies if Sir Ian became Dumbledore instead?

>"No!"

(You)

>he asked CALMLY

That was always one of the biggest issues I had with the movies. In the books he was ALWAYS very calm, even in his own death

dumbledore was pretty funny in the later movies

I demand pasta now!

>It was.... DUMBLYDORE!!!

Bad direction. Gambon played a decent Dumbledore in the third and sixth movies. The 4th film was total garbage.

All Harry Potter movies are garbage. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert. The precedent was already set by Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings debacle—unintelligible fantasy epics that people went to out of consumerist habit and left unable to recount or fondly recall. Jackson's fantasy overload laid the groundwork for mistaking F/X for content.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody? Just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

"a-at least the books were good though"

Pffffffffffft, the writing is dreadful; the books were terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs.

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

calm down, pseud

kys retard

You forgot the fucking picture you dumb idiot dumbo

>can't even copy and paste properly

hang yourself

r*dditor pls go

i get that reference XD

hi OP, going to do the unthinkable and actually give you a serious answer cause I'm a huge fan of the books and lukewarm on the films. Gambon has said in interviews that he "thought Dumbledore should be a little bit scary, because all headmasters are scary." Not kidding, that is what he said. He didn't read the books, but neither did Gary Oldman and he did a pretty damn good Sirius.

My theory is that Alfonso Cuaron was the only one not scared to tell him what to do, cause if you notice he was perfectly fine in Azkaban, but it's in Goblet where he flies off the rails, cause the director of Runaway Bride was in charge, and was probably too afraid to tell Gambon what to do, assuming he even fucking knew who Dumbledore was himself. By the time Yates comes on board, Gambon's portrayal was probably fairly set and they didn't want to change course.

It's a huge fucking bummer because for the most part, the adult cast did pretty damn good - Robbie Coltrane, Rickman, Maggie Smith, Gary Oldman, they were all good to excellent, and then here's fucking Gambon, angry/shouting/scared/not in control, a polar opposite of book dumbledore.

Anyway OP I hope that helps, sorrry everyone else, back to your faggotry and memes.

I didn't know a lot of this. All i remember is Gambon saying that when Rowling told him Dumbles was gay, he decided to rev up the campiness.

>neither did Gary Oldman and he did a pretty damn good Sirius

You should stop posting the dullest copypasta in the history of copypastas. Seriously each thread about the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains is now indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy rhetoric, the pasta’s only consistency has been its lack of humor and ineffective use of repetition, all to make trolling unfunny, to make shitposting seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when anons vetoed the idea of using a different image each time: they made sure the pasta would never be remixed or worked upon? just ridiculously profitable cross-thread pandering for (You)s. The Harry Potter copypasta might be anti-kino (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Banepost in its refusal of innovation, applicability and funniness. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>b-but it's board culture though

"No!"

The writing is dreadful; the pasta is terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time it is posted, the user merely changes the first sentence. I began marking on the back of an envelope every time this was the only attempt made to contextualize it to the topic of the thread. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Sup Forums's mind is so governed by cliches and stale memes that it has no other style of shitposting. Later I read a lavish, loving review of the Harry Potter copypasta by a Redditor. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these anons are shitposting about Harry Potter on Sup Forums, then when they get older they will go on to make memes on Reddit. And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you use the "Harry Potter" copypasta you are, in fact, being trained to make Reddit memes.

>WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO YOU MOTHERFUKER!?
Seriously?

My grandfather knew Richard Harris as a child in Limerick. He used to bully him and once chucked a bunch of Harris' family's potatoes over their fence

>Aw, to be young, and feel love's keen sting

>here is the source material mr gambon, 6000 pages of shit children's books

He did the right thing not reading it.

>Knitting patterns

He was better than fine in Prisoner of Azkaban, he was spot on.

It's a pity Cuaron didn't stick around. The general tone of prisoner of Azkaban was great.

"Pffffffffffft!"

>Thanks for the tip. I'll start acting like a fag

youtube.com/watch?v=2g3xrYjreN4

goblet of fire is so fucking weird and out of place compared to the other movies, bretty neat

it'll always be funny because it'll always be true

If he was there for Goblet of Fire he would have forced Fiennes to do a George W. Bush impression for Voldemort

Fiennes also suffered over the movies. The graveyard scene was one of the parts of Goblet of fire that werent dogshit and he actually felt threatening. Then in later movies he became a cartoon villain, speaking in that annoying breathy voice and constantly nyyeeeeeeaaaahhhing

>Then in later movies he became a cartoon villain
Voldemort was always a cartoon villain

Can anyone tell me why Goblet of Fire is shit because to me it looks like the same stuff that's in every Potter movie.

should we all go make a harry potter thread in /lit/?

preferred his character in the last two movies to his book character, made him seem a lot more interesting.

his book persona is pretty fucking dull when you think about it

This. The full thing doesn't even need posted anymore

yes

That's Fiennes' trademark scream. He does it in other movies.

>gets emotional like a child.

wew lad

i get that Dr Who put Harry's name in the goblet but how did the goblet still choose him when it had already chosen three champions?
and when Dumbledore runs in he asks Harry if he asked an older student to do it. was that a legitimate way to get past the charm? why didn't any of the other hundreds of underaged students who wanted to put their name in the goblet think of that?

HARRY! Did you put your name in one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Honestly how are actors and directors paid millions when they can't even be fucked to read the source material?

The source material is irrelevant, it's basically the most generic young adult fantasy ever.

true.

DONT YOU TURN YOUR BACK ON ME HARRY POTTER. I WANT YOU TO LOOK AT ME WHEN I KILL YOU. I WANT TO SEE THE LIGHT LEAVE YOUR EYES.

not a bad scene desu

>Why was Dumbledore so Out-Of-Character in the Harry Potter movies Goblet of Fire onwards?

if he's "out-of-character" for an extended period, then he isn't "out-of-character," that's just his character.

I enjoyed this, 7.5/10