What was the point of making him CGI?

What was the point of making him CGI?

They could have just put Dafoe in makeup, maybe given him a padded muscle suit and then used camera tricks to make him look bigger/taller

Doesn't CGI cost ten times more than all that

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HtLGb5efzyA
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
the-numbers.com/movie/Kimi-no-na-wa-(Japan)#tab=summary
supremecarlos.net/post/155932824647/your-name-kimi-no-na-wa-just-became-the
aramajapan.com/news/tvmovie/your-name-kimi-no-na-wa-surpasses-spirted-away-as-highest-grossing-film-in-japan/69666/
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-17/shinkai-your-name-tops-spirited-away-as-highest-grossing-anime-film-worldwide/.111141
escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169311-Your-Name-Beats-Spirited-Away-in-Gross
independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/your-name-spirited-away-highest-grossing-anime-of-all-time-a7530876.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_anime_films
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The CGI was pretty good. It helped that they kept it in the shadows, though.

they could have put the actual dafoe in shadows and it probably would have looked better

is it worth watching? I'm tempted to watch it just cause dafoe is in it honestly.

Even though keeping him out of the camera's focus and depth of field helped cover up any shoddy CGi, I thought it was a neat visual design

Pretty meme worthy, not too special, but enjoyable and comfy desu

would have been a better performance

Not great, but enjoyable. Dafoe is GOAT as Ryuk though.

>we could have had Dafoe in costume with big fish eye contacts and spiky fake teeth, running around fucking with people

Even with L being a fucking nigger?

Would have been too scary. The CGI was to make him look less like Ryuk.

Is it pronounced "Ree-yuke" or "Rhyuke?"

Fuck off stormfag L was the second best part of the movie

Stop getting triggered reddit.

Ryook

Worth watching solely for Dafoe, and the Atticus Ross score is pretty good too.

>L was the second best part
Go take a long walk on a short pier.

He acts pretty autistic, though. Out of all of the non-CGI actors in the movie, he's the only one who seems to move and pose like the character he's portraying. It seems like he did his homework at least.

Hey kid, it's pronounced Ree-yuke

American Light initially pronounces it "Rye-uck" when he first reads the name, but gets corrected.

The way L acted doesn't translate well to live-action, it comes off as try-hard and cringy.

True. What works in drawn form doesn't always translate to live-action. But still, if he hadn't tried there'd be people pissed about THAT, too. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Le epic grinning goblin man

If you're going to try it, know this in advance:
It's basically Final Destination, except there's a notebook where you get to write down the shit that's going to happen before it happens.
That's about it.

Don't think of it as a Death Note adaptation, and you might enjoy it.
Or do, if you enjoy picking things apart.

But seriously, first time I got 13 minutes in before I had to stop. This is a short list of things it does that go against clear rules/characters established by the original. If these bother you, you might want to skip it:
>Ryuk intentionally picks out Light
>Ryuk wants to see Light use the notebook and eggs him on
>Light is a "troubled teenager" stereotype who recently lost his mom
>Is on bad terms with his dad
>Light does a 10/10 Youtube horror Let's Player impression when he reacts to Ryuk the first time
>For some reason Ryuk is both visible and invisible, or has psychic powers because he tosses things without touching them, or maybe he's just invisible when he does it, it's unclear because Light is the only one there, and he can see him before using the death note
>Also literally dozens of rules are written into the Death Note

>Ryuk intentionally picks out Light
I considered this a lie within the story, desu.

In my opinion, the farther American adaptations are from the Japanese source material, the better.

A David Boreanaz and Willian Dafoe Batman movie would be great.

With a similar vibe to Watchmen.

This movie came out really well for what it was imo

Well it depends a bit on how you define it.
At the minimum, he inteded "that kid sitting there" to get it, because it drops down within 2 feet of Light who's sitting by himself while this happens.
It's a far cry from the original just dropping in the middle of the school yards away from everyone.

>David Boreanaz as Batman

I can dig that. That'd be cool.

I agree with you there, but I think Ryuk implying Light was special in any way was him spouting bullshit to make Light use the book. He isn't a chosen one, Ryuk just knows how gullible and full of themselves teenagers are.

Yeah I can see that. But it's again another thing that sets it apart.
The way it's setup in the original if I recall correctly, he just "dropped it into the human world". It was just as likely to land at a random bus stop as it was landing at the school with the teenagers about. He didn't even really go looking for it for a long time. He didn't outright want to find someone who'd use it, or use it a lot, he just thought it might lead to something mildly interesting to watch as someone goes crazy with guilt.

>and he can see him before using the death note
You only need to touch it

I don't understand the hate for this flick. I watched the series, and I didn't expect an american adaptation at movie length to resemble it at all? How could it? But i think the changes they made served the pacing and preserved some of the intent from the series. I mean, why would you want to watch the series again in movie form when it already exists

Because there are few things as powerful as the weaponized autism of weebs.

It's pronounced REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-ook]/spoiler]

It was cringy in animation too but its par for the course in anime so no one really cares

Actually come to think of it you're right, my bad.
Been a while. Still, the part preceeding it, where for some reason Ryuk can psychically move stuff around without visibly touching it is new. Either that or I'm going senile.

>do mocap of his face
>most of its screentime is in the shadows and out of focus
>the couple of clear shots of his face also a couple of frames
What was the point?

>Would have been too scary.

this isn't a cartoon for children

>The heart, Yagami! First we attack his heart!

It had more laughs than I was expecting. It's nothing amazing, but if you like the idea of sending up late '90s/early '00s edgy teen shit like Final Destination, The Faculty, Disturbing Behavior, etc, it does a pretty good job of that, intentionally or otherwise. Just don't go into it expecting the manga or anime.

How does it happen in the anime?
He writes user dies by decapitation and suddenly his head drops off?

Generally they don't go overboard with extreme methods of death.
The most brutal semi-on screen death I can recall, is the guy Light forces to hijack a bus before getting hit by a car, and it was written a long time ahead, instead of like 4 people retroactively being just in the right position to cause a spontanious decaptitation.
In fact, if the mode of death was unfeasible, in the manga/anime the person just suffered a heart attack instead.
That being said, if there was actually a time with decapitation, then it would have just taken a while to happen, because it was technically possible for the guy to within a few hours get into a situation where it can happen. After all, if Light wrote "suicide" as the cause of death, the victim would take their time doing it.
But the way it's handled, with suddenly everything around the victim turning into a ruth goldberg machine of death was just very silly.

That monster looks dumb anyway. Why is it required?

Why hasn't he played the Joker yet? I want an old dying joker vs batman movie kinda like in the game Arkham city. Maybe he's dying.

>You wanna know how I got these scars?
>My father was a drinker... and a Rabbi.

It's definitely worth a watch. Especially if you haven't watched the anime or read the manga.

Honestly, the pacing was the biggest problem with the film, IMO. This is kinda unavoidable when you decide to cram like 50+ chapters into a single movie that's not even 2 hours long, but still. And the dad's hair looked fucking ridiculous. Not even kidding, that's my biggest complaint.

It does without a doubt deserve a better rating than it currently has.

I watched an interview that said they did use a guy in a costume and the only child part was the face, which they used motion capture for so they could use Dafoes face.

Besides having the death note as a plot device, Ryuk (the shinigami) is the only similarity to the source material.

The screenplay writers basically rewrote all the characters/stories and just went for Final Destination goofy gore.

Yeah bear in mind this Ryuk is a lot more sadistic in this adaptation, possibly a fallen Shinigami who is totally breaking the rules of conduct because he just likes death too much. He deliberately chose Light probably due to his easily malleable and antisocial personality because it's implied he's been giving this book to other humans before him but he's just the first to really go all out with the whole Kira shit, much to Ryuk's amusement. Because also remember that as soon as Light wants to stop Ryuk wants to give the note to someone else. Light is probably the first to give Ryuk what he wants.

It’s mildly comfy.

Ryuk is necesary, it's part of the lore of the deathnote. They also changed some rules in the movie and his whole mannerism.
In the anime he gave the deathnote to humans simply out of boredom, so he can watch the shit flying towards a ceiling fan and chuckle.

>if you're good at something never do it for free
Nolan knew all along

you still in prison?

Well The Walking Dead made a fucking deer in CGI so who knows.

im liking this idea more then i really should

I did some shit
that scene where he burns all federal reserve money while screaming WHY DON'T YOU PRINT SOME MORE YOU KIKE FUCKS was intense

he refused, same reason why we got goblin ranger

if you want to see him in makeup just watch shadow of vampir

youtu.be/HtLGb5efzyA

Enjoyable as The Room, but not as serious Death Note adaptation.

But L was tryhard and cringy.

Light Yagami falls in love with L Lawliet.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by the shinigami Ryuk with the boy's phone number. The Desu No. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls him, and is overjoyed to find out that he has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the master detective, he only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the boy he called is not the same boy he fell in love with. In fact, he doesn't exist in this universe at all. He is L's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of his crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of JUSTICE.

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

Threadly reminder that Keit-ai is now the highest grossing anime film of all time.

>$353.3 million

the-numbers.com/movie/Kimi-no-na-wa-(Japan)#tab=summary
supremecarlos.net/post/155932824647/your-name-kimi-no-na-wa-just-became-the
aramajapan.com/news/tvmovie/your-name-kimi-no-na-wa-surpasses-spirted-away-as-highest-grossing-film-in-japan/69666/
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-17/shinkai-your-name-tops-spirited-away-as-highest-grossing-anime-film-worldwide/.111141
escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169311-Your-Name-Beats-Spirited-Away-in-Gross
independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/your-name-spirited-away-highest-grossing-anime-of-all-time-a7530876.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_anime_films

Gimme a K! Gimme an E! Gimme an I! Gimme a T! Gimme a 愛! What does it spell?

It's pronounced "Ryuk" you dumb amerifat

>both versions of Light suck

Should've been based Zac Efron in his prime.

I don't like how Ryuk tried to cheat to win.

next up on american anime adaptations:

"Ree-gook"

Only because of Tom Cruise. Guy can make any amount of cheese work.

>That scene where he becomes jaded as fuck and just watches the fat dude get crushed by the dropship

I unironically like Edge of Tomorrow as a sci-fi movie, the fact that it happens to be loosely adapted from an LN is just icing on the cake.

They wanted something that looked like a death god, not the genuine article.

It felt like I was watching Final Destination from Death's perspective.

Edge of Tomorrow is indeed awesome. One of my favorite Cruise movies

Definitely a missed opportunity.
The film looks like garbage. I'd rather reread the manga than watch it.

I enjoyed this part but there wasn't nearly enough gruesome deaths happening on screen.
The first two deaths were bloody and I was let down there wasn't anymore as violent.

just skip to all the Dafoe parts and you are set

It's just feels like a shitter and rushed version of the Japenese drama.

That may be so, but was he able to make The Mummy watchable?

What movie?

Netflix DeathNote original film. Pretty good if you don't try to compare it to the anime and view it as it's own thing. Few pacing issues and the main romance subplot lacks chemistry but the rest is fun and entertaining.

It's not even good as a standalone film. Stop memeing.