Why is this still the best horror film ever made?

Why is this still the best horror film ever made?

Because it was the best horror film back then and nothing has come even close ever since.

All true kino is based on real events;
Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Ed Gein
Taxi Driver - Attempting assassination of George Wallace
Dog Day Afternoon - John Wojtowicz

The Blob - Amy Schumer

The Passion of the Christ - THe Passion of the Christ

Leatherface running at you with a chainsaw is just the scariest thing imaginable.

some might say this is better

If you ever been out in the "no man's land" of your country, you will instantly recognize the feeling.

Fucking kek'd

It's so raw. It is on par with The Shining for being nearly 100% perfect. There is no room for quips/jokes. I also think The Thing and Nightmare On Elm Street deserve to be in the discussion. Nightmare is so close to being the perfect horror film but regrettably has it's bad moments.

The Omen and Halloween should be in the discussion too

I fingered a girl for the first time while watching this movie.

I remember watching it with your mom, too.

I just can't fit Halloween in there, I understand how influential it was but I'm yelling at the characters too much, the second act really annoys me. I would agree with The Omen and I suppose I should mention The Exorcist but it goes without saying.

the shining is bad

Because horror that's based on stuff that can actually happen is infinitely scarier than this recent wave of paranormal garbage that's been popular in recent years.

It also relies on natural organic scares, instead of cheap jump scares.

The tension is fantastic too.
The scene where the grandpa is trying to smash the girl's head with the hammer but keeps missing because he's old and can't see. That's just dark as hell. A scene like that would never be made today.

I can't believe people think this.

Ok Stephen King no one cares what you think

>HURR DURR JACK WAS CRAZY FROM THE START XD XD XD

The Shining is a great movie but it missed the complete feel of the book.

Kubrick himself even admitted he didn't understand how to direct horror.

It's like watching a movie made by a guy who heard about what horror movies were, but never actually watched one.

This.

>complete feel of the book
nigger I've read every Stephen King book, they are all very similar, Kubrick's Shining is the superior work of art.

Bullshit.
Pic related is one of the scariest scenes ever filmed.

And that's what is PRECISELY so brilliant about it. It doesn't follow a boring and mundane Stephen King novel and there hasn't been horror film or any film like it since, it's completely one of a kind.
The Shining is probably my favorite film

This is what got him killed.

Except that movie is dated and not scary at all.
Grow out of you contrarian phase

You have no idea who Stanley Kubrick is.

list your top five now faggot, I'm waiting

Sure you can tell its age by watching it but there is NOTHING that takes you out of the film because of it, unless you are a pleb and cant deal with films made more than a few years ago.

Also there is nothing contrarian about liking texas chainsaw, its widely considered the best of its genre.

>calling others contrarian
>using dated as an adjective

I Dont watch much horror but my favorite is the orphanage.
I Dont consider shit like the witch horror movies. Horror movies need to be scary

>still scared by horror
what are you, twelve?

There's a lot of reasons why Chainsaw works.

>Use of Cinema Verite
The dirtiness of the film legitimently makes it feel like a documentary.
>The obvious social commentary on animal abuse
Not a single animal gets killed but analogy that the victims are treated the same way as cattle to the slaughterhouse is so strong. While I still eat meat TCM made me consider spending the extra money to eat more grass fed beef where the cows are assuredly better taken care of.
>Lack of gore
Just as Hitchcock avoided showing violence in Psycho Hooper uses gore sparingly, letting the viewer's imagination

Also Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is a classic in its own right.

TCM has a lot of dark humor most people just won't notice it at first because it's much more subtle about it than the sequel and the movie is so damn tense it's not really something that's on your mind. If anything it adds an element of realism to everything and helps make things feel a bit off to the viewer.

Yes horror movies are supposed to be scary, Not half assed drama movies

Psycho is actually much closer to Ed Gein's story than TCM.

Actually the only reason you don't see gore in TCM is because Hooper kept cutting scenes with it out in hopes of getting a PG rating it had nothing to do with him trying to use it sparingly. Still worked out in the movie's favor though.

I'd imagine they also didn't have the budget for elaborate gore effects.

lmao dude TCM has lots of comedic moments with most of them being intentional. I laughed at the hammer scene.
TCM2 was trying too hard.

That's probably a factor too but he doesn't really mention that in the commentary. Seriously though if you have the Bluray check out the commentary track with Hooper and Gunner they have a lot of very fascinating stories on the production of the movie and all the hell the actors had to go through.

You are outing yourself as a massive pleb, it sounds like you are incapable of interpretation or imagination and just want epic BOO moments (as long as they aren't too dated).

>I laughed at the hammer scene.
Leatherface dressed as the mother is also a great mix of dark and creepy, with the clear implication that The Cook was fucking his monster brother.

TCM2 is a full blown comedy but I do love the guy playing the new Brother. He was great, almost as good as Nubbins.

That sounds awesome. From everything I've read, it was an absolutely miserable shoot.

Agreed. Very overrated.

>From everything I've read, it was an absolutely miserable shoot.
It very much was. The scene where Leatherface is chasing the girl through the woods at night he actually fell down and nearly cut his leg off with the chainsaw.

No. Horror movies are supposed to be scary, if they aren't scary then they are bad horror movies. That's why I call shit like The Witch or It comes at night drama, they just don't qualify as horror movies. If a comedy isn't funny then it's a shitty comedy, you don't watch comedy to dissect the movie frame by frame like you do with some artsy movies, you watch them to get a good laugh. Same with horror movies, you watch them to get scared.

The original texas chainsaw massacre is dated and not scary, it might have good shots and 'atmosphere' or whatever good atribute you might want to give it but it's not scary and therefore not a good horror movie.

>Horror movies are supposed to be scary,
Not all of them have to be. Horror is just a theme it's not some rule you have to abide by. There's maybe two horror movies that ever scared me past childhood but I still love them because I like the dark concepts they explore that most other movie genres don't.

They used real chainsaws? Absolute mad men.

And there it is you missed the point, people who think more deeply about films are more capable of being scared by them. What you think is scary isn't objective, stick to whatever you like but your opinion isn't correct.

Yeah. The scene where Leatherface was cutting up the dead guy's corpse in the kitchen with one was something like two inches away from his head in real life while it was running.

>its scary you Just Dont get it
Lol k man

Not sure if it's in the blu ray commentary but on one of the dvd's they talk about how hard of a time they had during that scene where Leatherface cuts the girls finger so grandpa can drink some blood. They had a knife wrapped in tape with a tube that would spurt blood out of it but it just wouldn't work properly so after numerous takes Hooper told Gunnar to just take the tape off and cut her for real.

MADMAN

TCM, along with other great Horror like The Exorcist, take time to build-up.

They take the time to build the suspense while giving a taste of what's to be expected -- like the opening shot with the corpse tied to a tombstone.

Also, there's something about how TCM looks. You can feel the heat of Texas from the film: it just looks dirty and hot.