Sentimental trash. It's easy to see why this won the Oscar. Fuck anyone who likes it

Sentimental trash. It's easy to see why this won the Oscar. Fuck anyone who likes it.

Stick to your Game of Thrones and Rick & Morty, pleb.

>t. Commie

I hate both of those things, pleb.

Yes it is about sentimentality, and not about suffering induced by opressive regime.

>guy is a hardliner who loves the state
>suddenly hears the guy play piano
>WTF I HATE THE STATE NOW
Trash

>guy is a hardliner who loves the state
Never was this stated in the entire movie. He was just doing his job.

I love it! What wrong with a movie being sentimental?

i didn't really like it either and don't understand why it's so highly rated

but still, that fucking ending man.

Is this the best East-German kino? Great, great movie btw only turbo plebes like OP hate it lol.

I think it is. It's nice they actually stuck to history and didn't just randomly shoehorn nazis in.

>Never was this stated in the entire movie.
So why was he putting an X on the student's name who asked too many questions? Why did he have such a hard-on for the writer when his friend initially didn't? Because he was just doing his job, 24 hours a day?

>you'll never be a dutiful Stasi Hauptmann

agreed. really weak

The ending is the worst part, pointless time skipping, on screen textual exposition and an overwritten ending scene just so the viewer get's that "cool" plot closure even though the actual film and narrative that matters was over 15 minutes ago.

I said it in yesterday's thread already, The Conversation is way better.

I also really hated that tacky freeze frame on his face. Love Ulrich Muhe but this movie really sucked.

I haven't seen it since it came out when I was a teenager, but I remember thinking it was great.

What is bad about it?

The Conversation is pretty shit once the main character loses his mind.

since this is highly praised and german, is it cucky and sjw

>What is bad about it?
The main character behaves in a contrived manner and changes his attitude just because he reads Brecht and listens to the writer play piano. That is my main problem with it, how we the audience are expected to buy his total ideological shift when he is actually doing a job he has done decades prior. Why didn't this shift happen earlier, during his one of hundreds of interrogations? That poor guy at the beginning suffered and was completely forgotten about, and what for? Because he didn't perform beautifully onstage like his artist couple? Horseshit. And this isn't even getting into the music, which overpowers every single dramatic scene telling the audience to FEEL FEEL FEEL like it's fucking soap opera. The whole thing disappeared up into its own asshole after about an hour. I think when he meets the woman in the bar and talks to her, telling her he's "her audience" was when the movie began to lose me.

>since this is highly praised and german, is it cucky and sjw
What kind of retarded conclusion is that? Is Das Boot "cucky and sjw" then?
How fucking lost are you in your surface-level politics, it's astonishing.

It isn't outright "bad", but certainly overrated.
Mainly because of the heavily overwritten script.

i will take your incendiary and defensive reply as confirmation of my initial assessment

Wiesler was an idealist working for Stasi, only to get an assignment that was purely abusive and personal politics motivated and had no real national security justification. This starts his disillusionment and the injustice and abuse of the system by higher up party members that he inadvertently witnesses makes him emotionally connect with his surveillance subjects and start to sympathize with them. It's a beautiful story about the power of empathy and of man being able to form companionship with people without actually meeting and interacting with them directly and face to face.

>Wiesler was an idealist working for Stasi, only to get an assignment that was purely abusive and personal politics motivated and had no real national security justification.
Except there was a security justification and that's exactly what he pushed them towards when he got the writer out of his apartment to witness his wife get out of the cabinet secretary's car. He was actively pushing them towards a security break and his sudden change of heart because he stole their Brecht book and read it (in quite a homosexual manner I must say) was incredibly contrived, hackneyed, and not beautiful in the slightest.

It has amazing elements but the director himself said he likes to simplify things so as not to distract the viewer and that goes for the stages as well as the story.

I don't know why I expected a work of art from the director of The Tourist.

go drown in a lake of diet Coke, you tasteless fucker