Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XKvsLLfRpLs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

dude logical positivism lmao

its reddit

no
just a loser making up excuses why he is a falied lover and a failed father

but those same chemical reactions in the brain caused you to have that thought

Remember in True Detective when Rust thought like this and everone thought he was an asshole?
Then by the end it was revealed the whole thing stems from tragedy in his past and he realises he was wrong.
What happened to those days?

this

Its bad writing but there is nothing incorrect in what he is saying. Love can be a wonderful thing, but if you think the "love" you feel at the start of a relationship is the same type of "love" that keeps a marriage together than you're gonna have a bad time. The initial first love is the result of our biological needs

the first season was alright
the second season was more of the same with some cringe worthy moments

... third season is just utter garbage... makes me almost hate the fact that I watched the first two seasons... fuck this idiotic show...

well if you think he's a stand-in for the writers than yes it's dumb since everything is a chemical reaction.

if not then it's ok since that's how some raging autist le science fag would act

>watching rick and morty with commentary
>"one reddit user said this"
>"one reddit user said that"
they're definitely pandering, its fucking pathetic

This is so painfully true god fucking damn.

Yes. It describes his position.

The show does not generally support the theories that Rick spouts. And we never get to see him being honest all that much.

love iz not real tb8

If the picture were xavier and the last line said "Focus on doth life" Sup Forums would praise it dicks hard

Yeah the whole crux of Rust's arc was him learning to live again and it was quite sweet. Now you just get this Rick and Morty shit.

if love is a chemical reaction, so is everything

so no, it's not good writing at all, unless rick is supposed to be written as a stupid fuck pseudo-intellectual (like the show's fanbase), but he isn't

I hope I don't ruin your scientist boner, but besides being good at math and memorizing things they are pretty much pricks in all regards.

Rick is written to spout bullshit so he can tell smart people from stupid people. His two best friends have similar ways of speaking.

He's like the embodiment of user.

>muh science religion
funny how reddit-types are using science in the same way people used to use religion (i.e., "become a monk and rise above"). it's the same thought pattern but somehow it's superior and transcendent to what humans did before them because MUH CARL SAGAN DUDE WEED LMAO PARTY ROCKERS IN THE HOUSE TONIGHT

that's funny because according to MUH SCIENCE smart people have statistically higher ability to predict other peoples' IQs.

In this worldview science isn't portrayed for what it is, but rather it's promoted to the same role God plays for a believer. In Rick and Morty, science is salvation itself. That on which they place their faith to face the meaninglesness that results from its absurdist/nihilist worldview.
It's funny how self unaware Dan Harmon is of this fact.

>american education

It's like how you can still find decent conversations on ch0ns, the bullshit field keeps out closed minded people but not smart people.

Well, 2017, maybe this place is too famous to be useful.

Holy shit my IQ went up 10 points just reading that. Thank you OP.

So in a way, it's just like the false atheism of communism. One places its faith on the socioeconomic system for salvation, while R&M places it on science. "Our system is our God", "science is our God". It plays the same role in your mind whether you accept it or not.
Just because you don't believe in the judeo-christian God doesn't mean you don't have a God yourself.

absurdism>nihilism

>while R&M places it on science

Holy shit it doesn't though.

>Just because you don't believe in the judeo-christian God doesn't mean you don't have a God yourself.

Some people don't have a god. Some people have a lot of gods.

>it doesn't though
Nice argument.
I'm not talking about the concept of God as a all-perfect, all-loving creator. I'm talking about it's role in your psyche. The subconscious human need to place your trust in something for salvation from purposelesness/meaninglesness.

It wasn't bad when Rick was portrayed as a jaded nihilist we were supposed to laugh at instead of relate to, but it got pretty bad near the end of season 2.

reddit

lets get all the nihilists absurdists and surrealists together and have a party

>Nice argument.

I'd have to submit all of the show as an argument for that.

The show has a character say that science explains the universe and there is no god a lot. Why the fuck does that mean that the show is saying science explains the universe and there is no god? That's as crazy as taking gods word that he's good because he said so in the bible.

The show is not about science or a real god.

>I'm not talking about the concept of God as a all-perfect, all-loving creator. I'm talking about it's role in your psyche. The subconscious human need to place your trust in something for salvation from purposelesness/meaninglesness.

That's clear. Some people don't have a god, and some people have a lot of gods, and some people have one god, which you covered nicely.

The show /is/ about gods, though. And family.

Sounds boring

It would be. Nihilists are the fucking worst.

does that really matter?

whole thread reads as:
>REEEEEEEEEEEE fear of grand-narratives

take it easy

>some people have lots of gods
You may separate and compartmentalize this same idea into many "characters", but in the end they all fit into the "trust in higher power than yourself" idea. Whether it is an imagined being, ideology, philosophy, etc.
To your psyche/subconscious need, they are one and the same.
By the way, I'm not talking about what the show explicitly communicates, but rather about the worldview it holds and represents. This trust in science as salvation harks back to the Enlightenment and is very common among millenials. Even more common among redditors. Which is why it's valid to accuse it as pandering to that particular audience.

That's exactly what's happening in Rick and Morty. He's miserable about his failures as a husband and father, it's implied something really awful happened to his wife. And everyone in the show does think Rick's an asshole for saying these sorts of things.

You know darn well
When you cast your spell you will get your way
When you hypnotize with your eyes
A heart of stone can turn to clay
Doo, doo, doo

You exist because of chemical reactions. All of your thoughts and emotions are chemical reactions. Your entire perception of the universe is just a chemical reaction. That doesn't make it any less valid.

If anything, science isn't Rick's god, Rick is Rick's god. It's not that anything can be explained with science, it's that HE can explain anything with science. There's an important distinction when talking about his psyche and how it relates to what he has faith in. He's a narcissist, Beth and Morty are codependent to rick, Beth is also a narcissist who has Jerry as a codependent.

when you realize that he's a character that is meant to be hated and not idolized, it's not bad. reminds me of the idiots that look up to Tyler

>You may separate and compartmentalize this same idea into many "characters", but in the end they all fit into the "trust in higher power than yourself" idea. Whether it is an imagined being, ideology, philosophy, etc.

Some people do, some people don't. A demon is a god you have outgrown. No comment as to which of these is better for the person.

>To your psyche/subconscious need, they are one and the same.

Ya, maybe so.

>By the way, I'm not talking about what the show explicitly communicates, but rather about the worldview it holds and represents. This trust in science as salvation harks back to the Enlightenment and is very common among millenials. Even more common among redditors. Which is why it's valid to accuse it as pandering to that particular audience.

It's one step deeper than that. It's not about science. It's about a method underneath it. Yes, it is pandering to a particular audience. On one level, it's the Big Bang Theory audience, they do make jokes ABOUT science, but they are going for something else. It's pandering to people who think you can understand the universe by reason, and it's poking fun at them by demonstrating that important things can't be understood in that way (AND that you can deduce THIS by reason).

Think about it: Jerry and Rick WANT the same thing, and Rick is acutely aware that Jerry is just as good at getting it IN EVERY UNIVERSE. I'm talking about that sweet time with Beth, motherfucker. Those waffles are the key to the show.

user, it's not for everyone. But it's not going for a lowest common denominator thing, it's trying something a bit clever. I fully admit I get salty when people who seem in any way clever dump on it for the wrong reasons.

Yea because its informing his character, who is supposed to be a self absorbed fuck up. So I would say its good writing.

Is he right Sup Forums?
youtube.com/watch?v=XKvsLLfRpLs

>dude everything is just chemicals in ur brain
If i was still in highschool id feel so enlightened rn

It's good writing in the sense that it is consistent with his character. Good dialog doesn't need to be objectively true and arguing about that is pointless. The character simply needs to believe it is true. The mistake the R&M fandom makes is to worship Rick like some kind of role model and take any thought out of the character's mouth as objective truth.

The show is fine (I've only seen season 1 and 2, maybe 3 goes to shit I don't know), even with all the flaws . The bullshit comes when people think it's the smartest shit out there or feel smart for "catching" a normie as fuck reference it makes.

No one cares if you watch it? That's what written in the last frame. It is such a huge lie that it makes the entire thing look weak. Tons of people care that people people watch it. Ironically or not. People are still caring, wasting time, writing about other people watching the show . No one cares? Hahaha

Nobody cares if you watch the show. People care and get irritated by the wave of obnoxious fan boys who insist it is the smartest, most flawless, most original thing on TV and who reeee to shit when you point out any flaws. That's the difference.

IM PICKLE RIIIIIIIIIIICK

>no one cares...
>HOWEVER

This guy gets the show.

It's something to live by.

thanks i was looking for this

Please understand this is the nicest you'll be asked and I'll even format this is a way you'll enjoy:

I urge you all to spend you future browsing time at reddit and stay in better company there

Not here

>This thing is popular with people and I dont like people so I HATE this thing.
>Everyone who doesn't agree with me needs to get out of my secret club!

Sup Forums isn't your fucking treehouse. Reddit isnt a fucking adjective. You only see obnoxious Rick and Morty fan boys if you look for them.

Your jadedness has turned into a superiority complex and now your perspective is warped as fuck.

Get off the internet.

DESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDEDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUSUDESUDESU

whats the right from?

Xavier: Renegade Angel

Super obscure Adult Swim show from the late 2000s.

is that just a meme or it is it worth a watch?

>Rick and Morty thread
>Someone's brings up how a decade old show nobody talks about a lot anymore was just as bad

Every time

>Super obscure
fuck off

It's boring, just watch clips.

i really hope stupid rick and morty-hating contrarians stop glomming onto this show. that would be the worst kind of revival for it to have

In the latest episode he even states that if there is a god it is him

Definitely worth a watch if you like absurdist humor

Everything is just brain chemistry. Seems like an important fact to acknowledge if you want to be taken seriously by anyone who isn't a religious mouth breather.

dude contemporary pseudo-traditionalism lmao

Well considering how it made you so angry that you had to make a thread about it I'd say its pretty great writing yeah.

>be sophomore psychology major at community college with 2.3 GPA and 10th grade math education
>DUDE I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE

Not everything is brain chemistry retard. There's a whole universe out there.

prove it

Everything meaning your perception of reality, your subjective "everything." Learn to interpret context.

>the whole thing stems from tragedy
>and he realises he was wrong.
why would you invalidate someone's opinion because it stems from tragedy? isnt tragedy one life experience that causes people to see things differently

the best part of all the people who get triggered by rick and morty and call it pseudo-intellectual is the unspoken assumption that of course THEY are the ones who are the REAL intellectuals

>materialsm
Just another symptom of a long-dead culture

a midget trying to play basketball is a pseudo-basketball player, and I don't have to be a basketball player to say so.

TURNED MYSELF INTO A PICKE MORTY

>does the same thing again, but with a stupid analogy this time
but you admitted that you are of low intellect, so i guess that's progress?

I think this was a great line. It shows that Rick is a jaded fuck using science as an escape.

You're equating culture with low intelligence/low information.

Why does a comedy cartoon with pop culture references try so hard to be "deep" and meaningful when in the end has absolutely nothing to say?
It's a textbook example of the word "pretentious". It takes itself way too seriously for what it is. If that's not pseudo-intellectual, then what is?

Im equating culture with spiritual feeling and metaphysical world-outlook as opposed to our modern day soulless civilization rife with nihilism, apathy, and materalism.

>It takes itself way too seriously
yeah, you could tell by characters like mr poopy butthole.
> If that's not pseudo-intellectual, then what is?
you get nonsensically angry about cartoons not staying in some lane you believe they should stay in? none of your criticisms really amount to much

Even assuming it requires intelligence to "get", that doesn't mean it is meaningful, which the show tries so hard to be.

lmao, the last line is logical positivism, the first two are Schopenhauer.

It's pretty fucking baby-tier either way.

le funneh solipsist meme XD

>spiritual feeling and metaphysical world-outlook
In other words: stupidity and ignorance

it was very helpful of you to stop by this thread and give us all an objective standard for what is "trying too hard" and what is "meaningful" that is definitely not just your shitty, whiny opinion. thank you for providing this service to the Sup Forums community

>first two are Schopenhauer
Proof? I doubt it as Schopy was a metaphysician.

Poor sod, doesn't realize that materialism is the truly ignorant ideology.

I'm not angry. The show is just so pretentious, and you're angry cause others point it out.

people who enjoy absurdist humor are basically retards with the mindset of a 6 month old

Could you enlighten us on the deep and meaningful things this show has to say?
I'm not the one under scrutiny, the show is.

Some trash show that panders to the le so randum xDDD crowd.

They're not literally Schopenhauer quotes but that's basically his Wille zum Leben / Will to Live.

>muh love is just evil biological instincts that make our life miserable and cloud our judgement of the external world

Materialism is a fact about reality, not an ideology.

But wait, reddit hates /r/atheism.