Are there any posters from Northern Ireland who lived during The Troubles? What was it like?

Are there any posters from Northern Ireland who lived during The Troubles? What was it like?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 154K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bombings_during_the_Northern_Ireland_Troubles_and_peace_process
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are there seriously no posters from Northern Ireland?

He's having tea rn

It wasn't fun. Illegal police raids every other day. Curfews imposed. Stopped and searched multiple times a day. British Army constantly talking shit because they know if you try something, it'll give them a reason to shoot you. Constant fear every time you hear a car slow down behind you. Constant fear every time a group begins to walk behind you if you're in the wrong area. Gunshots all the time. Paramilitaries kicking the door in, in places like bookies, and shooting the place up. On rare occassions, you'd need to work as a community to block the entrances to your area with cars or buses and burn them out just to stop a mob from rushing into the area and destroying your homes. You'd often see people running through the streets carrying guns, since nobody ever really had enough guns to mount proper defences, so one person would fire the gun a few times from one corner of the area, hand it off to someone that's fast, who would then run to the other corner of the area and fire some shots off there, to give the illusion that you were more armed than you really were in order to deter an attack. Shit like that.

Any other specific questions?

I thought Nothern irish use Ulster to their country often
then what do Nothern irish think about Ulster county in republic like donegal

I'm an Irish Nationalist, so I see Donegal as I see any other county on this island; Irish. The Unionists here just pretend Ulster ends at the border.

thanks a million

I wish I knew more about the troubles. I'm ambivalent towards the Irish and don't like the English very much, so I'm afraid that I'd get a biased view of what happened

what's the most pro-Irish and the most loyalist towns in NI?

What about current situation?
Still some sort of tension remains?

Fuck off Shamus

There is no unbiased view of The Troubles. You'll have to fall down on one side or the other.

Pic related for the geography of nationalist/unionism as of 2011. It's likely more green all round now though, if even just slightly.

That really green bit at the bottom is "Bandit Country". British Army weren't allowed to travel by land in that area, had to use helicopters exclusively and even those got shot down a few times.

>current situation
Mostly quiet but there's definitely still tension. We have "peace walls" in Belfast that separate the communities with 50 feet of steel and nobody wants them to come down. Riots every year on the 12th of July too. Nobody would walk from Ardoyne into the Shankill Road or vice versa for fear of catching a beating.

*Séamus

Had to remove the image because it was breaking the post. Here's a similar image though. The "really green bit" I was referring to is the southern most point of the map.

Attached: bTHeMkL[1].png (1578x616, 418K)

Attached: 1358163447099.gif (550x298, 3.94M)

I recommend the film '71.

Attached: '71 (2).jpg (1920x1072, 1.15M)

If the Brit doesn't die then it's not worth watching.

It's a very good film, and about as unbiased as you will get considering the subject matter.

thanks

I thought "muh troubles" in 2018 is a meme for attract more tourists desu

GO ON HOME BRITISH SOLDIERS GO ON HOME

>implying you were alive during the troubles
larping gimpoid

I bet you're under the age of 22. Not everyone on Sup Forums is underage.

Imagine being a soldier during the troubles. Must've been really fucking shitty.

They hid behind children and will proudly tell you that they did so because the IRA were "too cowardly to shoot if there was kids around". They also colluded with loyalist paramilitiaries to kill innocent Catholic civilians.

>They also colluded with loyalist paramilitiaries to kill innocent Catholic civilians.
Based

being four when GFA was signed does not make you some survivor you utter melt. god i wish we could kick the whole sodding island halfway across the atlantic

my father and his parents visited in the late '60s and he said they had to travel through checkpoints all the time

>yank is in favour of killing children
lmao

Stop projecting your underage onto others.

It was hell, the IRA would do things like tripwire public roads or punch holes in the brick through several streets so they had unimpeded sniper vision. You had no support from the average person either, almost everyone was potentially dangerous, look up the case of Michael Willetts.

>Catholic
>innocent

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bombings_during_the_Northern_Ireland_Troubles_and_peace_process
>The bombing killed 29 people (including a woman pregnant with twins) and injured some 220 others
It was fucking Iraq tier.

Well desu you're a fucking moron for even going there. 30 years of guerilla warfare is fucking stupid as there is nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Hard to believe that invading a country would lead to the natives not supporting you. Has the world gone mad?!

>tfw lived in Belfast for a year 2000-2001, when things had largely settled down
There was still a weird kind of tension around. I remember someone asking me if Norway was Catholic or Protestant and everyone kind of faking silent and watching the exchange with this weird intensity. It pretty much dissolved immediately when I said it's mostly Lutheran though. That was apparently "safe".

>faking silent
Falling silent. Damn phone.

>largely settled
>Belfast 2000-2001
I dunno about that mate. I don't remember ever thinking "Things have settled" until about 2004.

Saying it was Lutheran was honestly probably too deep for most people. They probably didn't even realise Lutherans are Protestant. Probably thought it was some weird Viking shit.

Where'd you live? And why the fuck would you come to Belfast to begin with?

This is why we don't consider Ireland part of the Anglosphere. Stuff like this doesn't happen in first world countries.

The reason Ireland isn't considered part of the anglosphere is because it isn't part of the anglosphere. Also, there is no "we" in this. Nobody likes you, Canada. Nobody in Britain feels a kinship with you. You're yank-lite.

Not that I lived through them but the Troubles were fucking shit. Can't believe there are still a few people who aren't happy just to have peace

>Where'd you live? And why the fuck would you come to Belfast to begin with?
Can't recall the exact location, but it was somewhere in BT4. I was doing network admin stuff and internal IT support for a newspaper after I'd had enough of being fucked around by a big computer company in Dublin who totally reneged on their contract terms and needed something to get my head above water enough that I could afford the move back home.

>Dublin
Your first mistake. Glad it all worked out in the end for you though, lad.

I'd gladly go back to The Troubles if it meant a united Ireland. A thing that stands demonstrable is that nationhood is not achieved otherwise than in arms.

Does the rest of Ireland even want anything to do with you savages?

If the vote to reunify was taken by the whole of Ireland, partition would never have occurred. If the vote to reunify Ireland was taken tomorrow by the whole of Ireland, Ireland would be united.

Nobody likes you, Canada. No Englishman feels any modicum of kinship with you.

>A thing that stands demonstrable is that nationhood is not achieved otherwise than in arms.
I don't know, things wrt Brexit are so fucking weird I wouldn't be surprised by anything up to and including reunification just getting tossed out as a clause somewhere and passed without fanfare. I'm just watching everyone powerwalking around with their hair on fire firmly pronouncing everything to be fine and I have to say it's fucking fascinating.

If reunification ever happens, there will be bloodshed. The unionists won't go quietly into the night. They'll need to be put down or driven out of the country. Ireland unfree shall never be at peace.

>The unionists won't go quietly into the night.
The IRA was the only organised, effective paramilitary group in the North. If the BA and the RUC hadn't been on their sides, the loyalists probably would have killed more of each other than anything else.

>4 years old when Good Friday Agreement was signed
>Knows nothing of war other than CoD

i thought IRS was hated in republic

Not S
A

>the loyalists would've killed more of each other than anything else
They killed more of their own than Republicans did. But then, the same is also true of the Republicans.

>4 years old when GFA was signed
Reminder: This is something you made up.

Nobody likes you, Canada.

>24 years old when good friday agreement was signed
>worked for a shitty US IT manufacturer in Dublin at the time
>strict rules posted on noticeboards it was not to be discussed on company time
>lots of people just walked out
It was pretty crazy.

Yeah blowing up pubs is so much better

Loyalists were fed information by British intelligence services to maximise their ability to kill Irish civilians.

Attached: DA IRA KILLED CIVILIANS! WE WUZ GUD BOIS! WE DINDU NUFFIN!.gif (482x363, 9K)

Brits do actually feel kinship to Canadians. Not as much to Austrians true but it's still there and nowhere near the contempt we have for Americans.

Don't listen to this butthurt Irishman that's caught on the wrong side of the border.

>Austrians

Attached: 1512626358642.png (388x218, 85K)

I fucked up there so you got off lightly, this time..

Attached: 1520476662515.jpg (699x484, 47K)

complete shit

I know you did, just gotta dish it out when I can

Attached: 95O19p7.jpg (640x720, 47K)

Picture Quebec want's independence from Canada and starts an Armed group that bombs children, pubs, schoolbusses, as well as Candian military targets and claim they will stop when you give it independence, what do you do?

sounds like drumpf's divided slaves of ameriKKKa

I have no particular bad memories of it, though I didn't live in any of the shit parts. A few of my fondest memories are learning how to make a crude bomb using fireworks (which I used to explode paint cans), a bomb going off at a police station near my school (got the day off) and the army scaring the bejesus out of me by hiding in a hedge near where a few friends and I were playing.

i think they had that

t. early 20s child that has never experienced it

Bumping for interest. I had a buddy in college, his parents lived during The Troubles.

>his parents lived during The Troubles.
God I'm old.

You kikes helped to make this conflict.

Yeah, the separatists were bombing shit through the sixties and culminated when they abducted and executed a politician, and Trudeau Sr put soldiers on the streets of Montreal. That was pretty much as bad as it got though, after that there were still separatists but they pursued their goals peacefully, there was certainly never open warfare or anything nearly as bad as what happened in Northern Ireland.

I feel ya.

kys

t. underage catholic larper who thinks hes a paddy

>hid behind children
top kek, you fucking blew up schoolbusses full of children because there was a single loyalist on there

You weren't alive during The Troubles, that much is clear.

See: Literally state-funded death squads targeting civilians.

I am a proddie but was too young.

Fucking kill yourself Ulster is British you cunt

Attached: 10BE1D0D-1621-4E38-94AF-6EDD8790D83A.png (421x255, 192K)

You're gonna find out pretty soon, lol.

Three counties of Ulster aren't even in the UK. Paisley famously considered himself an Irishman. I'm assuming you're the the same underage proddie that just posted a moment ago, which would explain that at least.

I love when underage runts get all pent up about the conflict but the most they've done is watch a pissy little riot on the evening news and sang the sash from the comfort of their attic bedroom. You're a pitiful lot.

Power rankings:

1. British Army
2. IRA
3. RUC
9001. Loyalist paras

Quite the projection going on there.