/djt/ - Daily Japanese Thread #1989

DJT is a language learning thread designed by and for those studying the Japanese language.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous Thread:

Attached: djt7.png (1200x1154, 469K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fvozYm3S-kw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

Gonna skip the July JLPT (N4) and attempt the one in December instead (N3). That gives me more time to procrastinate and then despair in November when I haven't fully mastered N3, so I can put it off again.

Honestly this is the 1987.5, don't rush numbers.

Also half of Brazil is rangebanned AGAIN by incompetent mods so I can only post, not create threads.

That also gives you more time not to procrastinate, and reach new fluency heights!

Incompetent mods, or just too much shitposting by Brazilians?
(or Hiro trying to sell more passes)

What are you using to study?

Core2k6 (~3500 words in, 40% mature. Deck will be completed by September.)
Basic dictionary of Japanese grammar
Basic Japanese a Grammar and workbook
Handbook of Japanese adjectives and adverbs
Handbook of Japanese verbs
Visualizing Japanese Grammar
News Web Easy

I did a practice test of N5 in January and it went well, so I'm confident I could make it to N4 by July, but not confident enough.

The main problem is practice. I don't have a lot of time (I should become a NEET) but also no feedback. You can't really learn if you don't know what you're doing wrong (other than "it's not working, try harder!") or don't know what you don't know.

Nihon tomodachi cordially invited to post /anime/ here
or

Fuck off Mohammed, ironic weebs are worse than normalfags.
You should kill yourself with a dildo up your "boypussy".

Also here's a picture of Allah.

Attached: 1507515433273.png (281x265, 92K)

>You can't really learn if you don't know what you're doing wrong

You will notice on your own what sounds unnatural after reading and listening to a massive amount of Japanese. It not only works, it's the only way anyone has ever learned the language.

It's a sad life.

Why have you started learning Japanese? Are you still learning for the same reasons you started? What's your end goal?

To be with you.

Possibly stupid question. I didn't finish the core2k deck yet (in progress, I'm studying daily.) I made a mining deck from translating a manga I like (which is seinen) page by page. I like the translating work and it keeps me engaged. But the vocab is fairly complex. I'm finding it too difficult to remember more than a few of the words from the mining deck. Should I not bother with it until I finish the core deck? I can only remember the more simple of the words from the mining deck.

Nowadays the goal is just learn the language by itself, but it started as more of an interest for weeb media.

If you think about it, after knowing English, Japanese is the most useful language resource-wise if you consume media. The next one would be Russian for piracy or French for classic cinema.

In the future Chinese and/or Korean might be necessary, since they're trying to imitate Japan pretty bad.

Wouldnt be easier to just start reading LN, mangas or VNs?

Good question user

I'm actually from /trv/, not Sup Forums like I suspect much of /djt/. After brushing up on basic French for my trip to Quebec and Montreal, and getting a thrill out of faking my way 3 lines into a conversation without the person knowing I didn't really speak the language, I decided I wanted to learn a language full so I could travel there and get a unique experience because of it. I'm also a Stephen Pinker fan, so language is really interesting to me.

I debated Spanish because of how many countries speak it, but the wide regional variations means there's few places I'd be proficient with it. Also, I'm not as interested in SA for travel. I also considered French because it's a language you might run into somebody knowing anywhere in Europe, America, or Africa. Ultimately, I decided on Japanese because my GF already knows a few hundred words from watching anime, and I'd much rather consume thousands of hours of anime and manga, than Spanish Telenovas or French Films.

My focus is definitely on the language learning itself rather than the 2 week trip I'll probably take in a year. My new goal is to enjoy Anime, Manga, 2chan, and chat with cute Japanese girls online.

Attached: fisheye-the-tramp.png (845x479, 514K)

What zoom level do you guys use? I usually keep it around 300%

I haven't finished 2K either, but I'd say it's probably not ideal to start mining complex words yet, but whatever keeps you motivated, stick to it.

For French, you can watch Wakfu and Ladybug! Good cartoons. Plus quite a few full-length animations like Triplettes de Beleville, A Monster in Paris, etc.

120% on a 17 inch 870p screen. Started using it for Japanese, but latin script also feels comfy like that now.

Well, I like translating stuff. Grammar and vocab at once, and it's fun because it's manga, and I get a better picture of what they're actually saying and how they say it than translations provide. Yeah, maybe I'll just take the words that are feasible to learn at my level. Even if I learn these complex words I just forget them quickly, if they're too hard.

おはいよおおおおお

It's better to think of what you're doing as "reading" rather than "translation". You want to grow out of translating in your head so you can read faster.

Where's the best to buy physical Japanese manga? Kinokuniya seems really expensive but I enjoy having the physical version to read.

Learn to google, it will take you places. Especially when learning a language where searching will encompass almost all of your later learning.

I learned it to interact with Japanese players at fighting game events and enjoy weeb media more. A self enhancement thing for the most part.

Now I'm about to finish my degree in Computer Engineering and did an interview for a job in America working for a Japanese owned company, that is interested in having me work with the Japanese team. The goal now is to get to the level where I can conduct daily business in Japanese to possibly relocate there in the future.

Does anyone have any good Japanese literature recommendations that are maybe a little obscure? I am trying to buy a thank you gift for a Japanese native, except she already has a B.A. and an M.A. in Japanese lit., so ideally it would be something that is good but perhaps obscure enough that she might not have read it yet.
Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Did she help you learn Japanese? If so, give her something from YOUR literature.

My favourite book so far is しろいろの街の、その骨の体温の which I doubt she has read but it's hard to recommend anything without knowing her taste.

No, she is my TA for several of my philosophy classes. My actual japanese teacher is a different person.
Thanks for your suggestion. And I'm not sure what she would enjoy actually. She is working towards a PhD in philosophy if that tells you
anything.
Is there anywhere I can find a description of that book in English, or could you just describe it? I can't find anything through googling.

Thank you.

可愛い

しろいろの街 is about a girl who blackmails a boy into a strange kind of relationship from childhood. It deals heavily with bullying and social hierarchy.

コンビニ人間 by the same author is more popular and less divisive, though I didn't like it quite as much and there's a chance she's read it since it won the Akutagawa Prize. It's about a woman with autism or some similar personality disorder obsessed with her convenience store job who tries to pretend to be normal.

I think I might get her the first one, she is very intelligent so I feel that if even she may not like it she could still appreciate the new perspective. Thank you for your recommendation!

So /trv/ was no help, but regardless.

Going to Japan this summer. End of may to June. Travelling on a budget, the goal was a bit over 400.000 yen, for six weeks of travel, and I'm currently weighing my options for what to do.

I study history and I like Alan Watts and all that jazz, and then I remembered reading about this, the Shikoku pilgrimage. It takes between 30 and 60 days on foot, but I was thinking of maybe renting a bike or something too. Buddhist temples are cool, and it'd be a neat way to see a part of Japan (or at least do something) in a way most people don't usually bother with.

Anyone here who has done it? Or at least been to Shikoku? Would you guys advice me against this, considering how I'd probably be there during the rainy season as well?

I have a tent and all /out/-gear I need, is tenting a viable option?
Will the rainy season ruin my trip?
Is my budget too strict?

I'm not *that* broke, but it'd be nice to have some extra money to spend in Tokyo for the week or two I'm planning on staying there (planning to see some concerts and stuff there).

Thoughts?

Attached: Shikoku-Pilgerweg_Karte.png (1280x986, 1.79M)

My biggest concern would be ending up in the police box for arming an irregular tent, knowing Japs.

Can't help you, brah.

I downloaded the kanjixi radicals for my anki droid but the fonts are fucked up or something, instead of the hirgana for 1 (ichi, hito) underneath the kanji it shows
>[Ep][Jp]{Et]{Jt}

how do I fix this

wait, no I'm retarded

the radicals only show english, because thats what radicals are, i'm retarded sorry

how does Japanese compare to English in your opinion?

Is one better than the other? Do they change the way you think?

Attached: 1509400456182.jpg (1800x1800, 1024K)

Is nipponese really as hard as people say it is? Kinda interested in doing a year or half a year of uni exchange or whatever in japan so i figured i ought to look into learning the language a bit, should i do it or just go on living my boring life?

Attached: IMG-20180309-WA0002.jpg (426x415, 25K)

So... Japanese radicals are English?
Such as [Ep][Jp]{Et]{Jt}?

Attached: 1516444582233.jpg (313x723, 40K)

アイ ギッブー アップ

is your gf learning japanese with you?

weren't these normally on Sup Forums or am i high

>Is nipponese really as hard as people say it is?
pretty much, take something like french and then multiply the time/effort you have to put in by 4-5

What does でもない mean in this sentence?
アンとトムはただ嫌い合ってるだけでもない気がする

I know these answers are sort of shit, but for the lack of a better explanation I'd say it's just emphasized denying

It seems that Anne and Tom do not just hate each other.
(...Perhaps they may get along well.)

「でもない」は、『ただ嫌い合ってるだけだ』を否定するはたらきをします。

で・も・ない ->《断定の助動詞「だ」の連用形+係助詞「も」+補助形容詞「ない」》

>I'm actually from /trv/, not Sup Forums like I suspect much of /djt/
I never frequent Sup Forums, even though anime was the main reason why I even study this confusing language and I had my first lesson through anime. I currently only frequent Sup Forums, when I used to stay in Sup Forums before it went total cancer.

It's actually emphasized denying. It denies previous sentence. It's also very suggestively expression.

eg
1 アンとトムはただ嫌い合ってるだけでもない気がする。
(They might be just shy, love each other.)
2 アンとトムはただ愛し合ってるだけでもない気がする。
(They might have a deep grudge against each other.)

TIPS: Too much use of でもない in daily conversation makes you a disgusting
person. People might feel as if you're saying: "I don't think so, guess why?". Please be careful.

This is the grammatically correct answer.

How would one rephrase that sentence without sounding bad?

Indeed:)
I mean, little difference in nuances. If you have own opinion and want to express it, Using ではない is better.

Using でもない sometimes considered as coward, otherwise boastful expression.

Yes, the problem is finding good material. Ideally it should be two-sided (Japanese version left, English version right). But I have only 2 books like those: "Read Real Japanese" by Emmerich, and "Breaking Into Japanese Literature" by Murray.

I'm not saying parallel texts are bad, I used them pretty long myself, but you shouldn't overestimate their learning value. You run at risk to rely too much on the translations instead of making sense of the Japanese grammar yourself

コングラチュレーション!!!!

>youtu.be/fvozYm3S-kw
魔女を燃やせ

>2008 was a decade ago

Attached: free_me.jpg (1600x900, 149K)

Not that long ago, really, I'm shopping for cars and I wouldn't mind a 10 year old car.

Mind you I'm driving a 23 year old car...

Fuck I remember watching this in some cringe thread about the same time this videos was uploaded

男で身長180cmないやつマジでキモイ。
どんな生活したらそんな低身長になるのか教えて欲しいし、低身長は男としてゴミすぎ。
180弱なのに自信満々で180って言う奴もまじでキモい
女にヒールはかせてやれない男に人権はない
胎児からやり直せクソザコ雑種がよ

Don't do it user, a deadline keeps you going when you feel like giving up.

good good

Attached: 1521539248274.jpg (500x500, 43K)

I finished to learn my kanas and I know approximately 30 kanjis.
Should I start to read books for children, and if so, which books would you recommand?

I command you to read 2 doujins every day from now on.

what's the best textbook(s) for learning joyo kanji (with pronunciations), don't say heisig

read graded readers and continue studying kanji

Anki. Learn the readings of words, not kanji, and forgot about that jouyou list that is irrelevant to actual kanji usage.

I did rtk up to 1800 then I gave up with 1000 mature cards
then I did core up to 2500 and gave up with 1600 mature cards
should I resume or fuck it and go mining?

did anyone here fell for the ajatt meme?

When life was simple and mentally challenged outcasts could make do with wearing wigs and being cringy.

Whoever figured out they were perfect military material was a visionary.

Mining is better anyway.

i'd rather use something where i can see all the readings at once, i'm about 1,5k into the anki deck and i get a lot of shit mixed up because i only remember it from context and not the actual kanji
i just want a decent trustworthy textbook

what

I say trust what the red leaf guy has to say. I don't even know what knowing all kanji readings will teach when you will mostly encounter words and not single kanji in the wild.

I don't think what you want actually works in practice from what I heard

Vollidioten sind gute Kanonenfutter.

最近、親日の友達は英語先生になりたいです。でも、日本語がわからないで静かな人です。「大丈夫?」と思う。

So, does he have a chance or is there actually a filter for wide-eyed otaku doing this?

Teaching English in Japan is a shit life, from what I've heard. The schools they work for know they're 90% weeaboos, so they just exploit them because the "I'm so glad I got this opportunity to teach in Japan ^_^!"-delusion makes them blind.

I was thinking that, although hard to say without actually experiencing it.

It's probably ideal for someone on a gap year out of college, but it doesn't exactly lead to any kind of career path (unless being a teacher or English-speaking consultant living in Japan bests a stable career back home. I don't know how much more amazing it is to live there compared to the West).

If it's just for a gap year then yeah, it might be nice (depending on circumstances, which are always unpredictable). But the Japanese have a Swiss approach to immigrants: "You're here to do your job. Job done? Great, your flight leaves tomorrow, bye now." (Nothing wrong with that, far from it.) So don't count on a career. Especially without a qualified degree.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can usually only stay and teach for a total of 5 years anyway before they boot you out of the country.

Also, they keep the pay low so you can kinda live off it but you won't be saving much and you're not gonna build a future with that income.

Indeed. So that's 5 years of your professional life wasted (the CV bonus of a period abroad tops off at ~2 years and unless you pursue teaching is hardly worth it): no real savings, no advancement within a company, no networking, no building up of social rights (retirement pension), etc.

Retard here
I started out learning kanji individually. I've gotten through about 600 and I'm at my breaking point. I really have to force myself to study everyday even if it's just for 30 minutes. I've tried my hand at learning a bit of vocab and I enjoy it a lot more.
Should I drop individual kanji study altogether and just focus on vocabulary?

Attached: 1517970287003.png (403x448, 53K)

See

No, keep it up, although maybe limit yourself to learning meanings, since readings come with vocabulary. It's also good to know stroke order as it will help you to differentiate kanji, and this can only really come through individual practice of each kanji.

It's amazingly useful to know the meanings behind the individual characters, since the vast majority of the time, they bear relevancy to the words they're used in. If you can guess what a word means based on knowing the individual characters, and you know a few of the readings, you can make a reasonable guess at what you're encountering and retain the vocabulary quicker.

It's your choice, but choosing vocab only will mean a lot more rote memorization and repetition than if you can pick up writing characters and their meanings.

>doing only kanji
>no vocab

Jesus, are you trying to kill your enjoyment on purpose?

Just do vocab and learn the kanji that comes with the vocabulary.

This is the point. I really like the country's history, the food, the people, music, its entertainment industry and literature, even the day-to-day things (junk food in convenience stores, tweeting birds at crosswalks, hot drinks in vending machines, silly jingles everywhere). I could easily live there day-to-day and have Japanese friends I could rely on while in the country.

But is it worth it to be on a meager salary, very little scope for promotion or self-employment, few rights or benefits as an alien worker, and essentially to be on an extended gap year?

I think it would be more worthwhile to earn enough money to take an extended sabbatical and travel the country for a few months, rather than take a longer-term position. But I really don't know myself. Some people seem to do well and find a new home living there, warts and all. I guess you can't tell how you'll cope unless you take the plunge. And for some people, just being there is more important than stable employment or living in their home countries.

bump

everyone bitches about kanji but pretty often I think they give the japanese some advantages, for example with scientific terms
触手冠 しょくしゅかん is much easier to remember than some random greek derived word "Lophophore" or you can better remember what certain terms are about recalling the kanji as with 浸透現象 for example

Sometimes I agree, others not so much.
For instance, the word photograph. We are used to it and don't even think about it, but "photo" (light) and "graph" (writing, written, whatever) are there and say a lot about this word.

And the same "graph" radical can be found in several other words of the language. Graph. Monograph. Autograph, etc.

Autograph? Automobile, autonomy.

In a way we have all the puzzle pieces as kanji people do, we just don't pay attention to them. And maybe most Japanese are like that too, since they learn the language through speaking more than through reading.

>In a way we have all the puzzle pieces as kanji people do, we just don't pay attention to them.
That's true, but I still think kanji work better when it comes to really specific words of certain fields
On the other hand many words literally sound the same and just differentiate themselves through kanji... Well at the end it comes down to the same probably

>Do nothing but Japanese all day
>"oh wow you learn so fast with it"
smuganimegirl.jpg