/who/ - Doctor Who General

best doctor edition

PREVIOUSLY:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/18l9hGECY1htNxVpSZIoPEWPU32KDAb1Sse_QbWEUMMo/edit?usp=sharing
reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/6xh9e2/i_36f_am_going_crazy_with_my_husbands_36m/
tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Complete_Davros_Collection
youtube.com/watch?v=lESNdr_cjHs
dailymotion.com/video/x23vbh2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

last thread got archived before anyone made a new one, wake up /who/

Someone forgot to make a new thread before the one died

R.I.P /who/

We should have an Aliens of London/World War 3 stream to cuck the haters

I would've made it sooner but I thought someone else would've done it. /who/ is kill

Somebody bring /who/ back to life!

Doctor Who but it crosses over with Warhammer 40k

Shhhhhhh... /who/ is sleeping

@Gallifrey_Immigrant
docs.google.com/document/d/18l9hGECY1htNxVpSZIoPEWPU32KDAb1Sse_QbWEUMMo/edit?usp=sharing

Second shit trips entry finished, as requested! Just over 5k words in total. I checked for errors and such, but I can't guarantee that it's flawless. I also couldn't think of a better title, sorry!

/who/ pls live

Why are some people so profoundly incapable of considering perhaps Chibnall's enormously acclaimed, massively successful non-Doctor Who work maybe, JUST MAYBE, played a part in him getting the job.

Literally no one could run /who/ like moff has. For all everyone bitches at him as a head writer, its hard to find a ton of faults with him as a showrunner: he rarely miscasts, he put the show in hd and in theatres, he gets the budget raised all the time, he expanded the international fanbase, he answers the fanmail, he organizes the brand and makes the right production moves(hiring great directors, attracting talent, etc.). Literally the only thing he does wrong is the breaks, and not all of that is even under his control.

didn't know moffat was involved in /who/

he invented it

2/2 and thats why he chose chibnall: the showrunner can't just be a writer, they have to successfully run a media empire. Very few of the writers were in a position to do that. Certainly not enough that had Chibnall's writing experience. Neil Cross was a good second choice, but he only had two episodes under his belt for the show. Gaiman could easily do it and clearly had the caliber of a writer to take the show in a new direction, but he's Neil Gaiman and has his own shit to do. Gatiss can barely run shit without moffat around, so thats tits up.So the only one who really could handle the job was chibnall.

>implying g_i isn't moffat

Nigga, the first story of shit trips 1 is most of twice upon a time rearranged into something more coherent.

So how would you kill the Doctor for good /who/?
Im thinking death by impalement saving his companion and a child

Honestly, just The Doctor Falls but he actually dies there. Would have been such a kino permanent finale for the show if they needed it to be, I would have just had the doctor actually know missy turned good in the end

This this this. You get it completely. Relieving to see after so many Who fans misunderstand basically everything about production and the actual showrunning gig.
I'm also tickled pink you didn't even mention fuckin Whithouse.

>calibri

Suicide, after he was tricking into thinking RTD would write him again

>he put the show in HD
this happened before he joined and would have happened anyway.

It happened because of him as part of the changeover process in 2009 between the production teams. Read The Writer's Tale.

>haven't slept
>pacing around room
>suddenly think about if a cyberman could get preganant
help

I'm pretty sure they would remove the reproductive organs during the conversion process.

Watching through all of 7th doc - on greatest show in the galaxy right now

i know but i was thinking about the og tenth planet ones on mondas
why would they waste time, energy and recources on removing that stuff when they've already removed all sexual desires

Just to be safe, and performing a vasectomy/hysterectomy wouldn't be that hard in comparison to fitting in cybernetic organs or replacing brain matter.

but there wouldn't be any need though
why do that extra stuff when the removal of emotion from the brain that they're gonna do already takes care of it

Just in case? Like I said, compared to replacing vital organs with machinery, cutting off somebody's sexual organs would be easy and take no time at all.

eh your right
i probably think this makes more sense than it actually does because of how tired i am
that and the image of a mondasian cyberman laying on a bed completly blank faced and dead silent while a baby just kinda falls out of her pale lady bits spooked me a bunch and i felt the need to share it

What does /who/ think of City of the Saved?

Scaroth reporting in.

I guess nobody on /who/ reads Obverse.

Doctor Who is alive.

Oh it's a comin

Don't do the "trying to repurpose other boards' shitty memes by changing a word to a /who/ thing" thing.

i already deleted them before you even said that

Do you honestly think you're fucking funny?Seriously, you're a fucking ugly little cunt mate, and if I ever see you i'm gunna slit your fucking face wide open yeh? You're a fucking angry little fucking spastic.

Anybody awake and want to stream something with me? I was thinking maybe a 9th Doctor marathon unless anyone had some classic who they'd want to put on.

which streamchad are you?

cuz if ur capaldo, im out

I'm not capaldo, no.

reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/6xh9e2/i_36f_am_going_crazy_with_my_husbands_36m/

lol

I'm watching the start of the original Twin Peaks, and Cooper is coming off so much like an American version of the Doctor it's a little unnerving.

Twin Peaks, a lot of Lynch's work, is absolutely brilliant. And Kyle MacLachlan is hugely talented, too often wasted in other films/shows. Enjoy!

I'm phoneposting r n so can't stream, but might be on later tonight

lol

>These six DVDs real ‘hide behind the sofa’ collections bring together episodes of the scariest and most iconic monsters from Doctor Who’s classic and recent series. Each title concentrates on a deadly enemy – The Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, The Master, Davros and the Silurians – and features two separate stories from popular incarnations of the Doctor, including Matt Smith, David Tennant, Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee.

>These collections are perfect for younger viewers just discovering the scary delights of fifty years of Doctor Who.

>Stories included are:

>The Master –Terror of the Autons (1971) & The End of Time (2009-10)

>Davros – Genesis of the Daleks (1975) & The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End (2008)

>The Daleks – The Daleks (1963) & Asylum of the Daleks (2012)

>The Cybermen – The Tomb of the Cybermen (1967) & Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel (2006)

>The Sontarans – The Time Warrior (1973) & The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky (2008)

>The Silurians – The Silurians (1970) & The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood (2010)

Thoughts?

Coulda sworn these have been around for a while Anyhows,

>End of Time instead of Utopia

Terror is a solid pick, Delgado in general is top tier.

Davros in NuWho sucks so there aren't that many choices. Genesis is good though.

>Asylum of The Daleks

At least it's not Daleks Take Manhattan?

Also, putting The Daleks makes sense but it's a bore desu.

Tomb is a classic and the 2 parter is alright. If these are brand new, WEAT/Doctor Falls would be better, though.

Sontarans don't really have any real appearances in NuWho other than that one and the only other classic story choice would be Invasion of Time, but even then it's more Time Lord centric than Sontaran centric.

Silurians is a classic and the only other choice is Warriors of the Deep so it's an obvious choice. The latter two parter is forgettable but not terrible, and the only other real choice was Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, but they don't even show up in the flesh.

They've been around for four years, I just hadn't looked at them before

Would be neat if they included more stories but I imagine there's cost reasons for keeping it just to two. But a proper Classic/NewWho-spanning Master or Dalek set could be neat. You could do Zygons too really - Terror, 50th, S9 2parter.

You mean all stories or really good ones?

Just really good, or defining, ones. All would be a bit overboard, though interesting.

>All would be a bit overboard, though interesting.
Different context, but it's been done before. Including audios.
tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Complete_Davros_Collection

They're better than the previous monster sets which only included nuwho
Although I'm not interested in these as they'd mess up the 2|Entertain display

I mean having Classic and New together in a bigger boxset as the interesting thing, but I didn't phrase it well. I've got some of the old sets (a Mara one, and I've borrowed the Davros set before, it has a really neat feature where they animate parts of some BF audios with him).

I wonder how a kid would take them as an exposure to Classic Who. I saw Classic before NewWho when I was a kid, but whenever I've tried to introduce people to Classic Who who didn't, I usually fail.

youtube.com/watch?v=lESNdr_cjHs
Alex Jones is on the scene

He's pretty damn late, /who/'s already had these debates dozens of times. Nothing new left to say.

GI RN

The Tomb of the Cybermen Part 1 (my favourite classic story alongside Inferno) is 50 years old today.

Fuck it's such a good story, and I'm glad it was recovered in 1991 or else we'd just have recons instead (honestly, this makes up for every other missing episode being missing). The atmosphere, the Cybermen, everything is just pure kino.

>Thoughts?
The only good cover is the Master's.

EXPLAIN

why does the sontarans logo look like the flintstones logo

>it's him in his electric zombie anime mode
No, this is incorrect

>tfw waiting for Shit Trips

>people pretending to be excited for shit trips
why

>don't understand other people's actions so assume they must be pretending
Step one on the road to being a conspiracy loon and all around bad person.

My main gripe for the covers are the fonts. Only the Master's (and the Cybermen but I've got a problem with that cover) is good, if not for the placement of the "The": it would work better if it was in the center.

The font used for Daleks and Davros would fit better on a gyro place than here. It would benefit with some rounder fonts, like Tw Cen MT.

The font used for the Sontarans and Silurians look tacky. is right, the font for the Sontarans would be better for the Silurians. A better Sontaran font would be something more militaristic and square, not prehistoric and curvy.

And whoever thought the font for C4BERMEN was a good idea should get shot.

please relax

Move the middle bar of the Y up so it's level with those of the Es/Rs, and add a horizontal tail across the bottom of the Y so it no longer looks like a 4. I fixed it.

>it has a really neat feature where they animate parts of some BF audios with him
are those online at all?

dailymotion.com/video/x23vbh2
Here with French subtitles

Looking forward to Shit Trips. Proud(?) to see my work is in it.

I'm looking forward to it too. Excited to read yours, whatever it is!

Later in the thread than I like to be but... How has your day been /who/?

>"Grandfather!"

"Listen Susan, please, I've double locked the doors, you can't get in. Now move back child where I can see you. During all the years, I've been taking care of you, you in return have been taking care of me."

>"Grandfather I belong with you!"

"Not any longer Susan! You're still my grandchild, and always will be. But now, you're a woman too. I want you to belong somewhere. To have roots of your own. With David you'll be able to find those roots, and live normally like any woman should do. Believe me my dear, your future lies with David, and not with a silly old buffer like me."

"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. Goodbye Susan. Goodbye my dear...."

Does this make anyone else cry or just me?

I am completely 100% desensitized to it since it got looped on casualwhostream. Not even joking. It used to make me cry. Now it makes me bored and annoyed. I wish it didn't. Oh well.

The Doctor hits on a very sensible solution - dump Susan off with the first man she's attracted to and tell her to make babies. In fact, when the Doctor does lock her out of the TARDIS, his stated reason is that she's a woman now. In other words, it's because she's had a sexual awakening - and earlier in the story she and David have, in the words of Amy Pond, a snog in the shrubbery.

What I want to stress, though, is that this remains enormously problematic. Not just in that the Doctor is basically forcing Susan to marry the first guy she kisses and have babies, but in the staggeringly creepy moment where David tells Susan that staying on Earth with him is finally her chance to have an identity. Yes, this is a callback to a scene a few episodes earlier, but still, it highlights how appallingly powerless Susan is made.

None of this is helped by the staging of the farewell scene. Carole Ann Ford hits it out of the park, showing the producers quite clearly how much they wasted her talents. But William Hartnell, doing his part of the scene on the TARDIS set, feels like he's reading off a teleprompter (Or, as I have just discovered if one wants to be proper, a TelePrompTer brand cueing device). Which, to be fair, he probably was, since fusing two scenes together like this was actually a bit of a technical challenge, but it ends up looking like the Doctor really is eager to get rid of Susan. Which, to be fair, he has seemed to be much of the episode, but it does suck the drama out pretty hard.

The Doctor promises that some day he will return. He never does. One can try to fill in some missing story for this - a couple exist from the Eighth Doctor era - but the fact of the matter is, here Susan is treated like any other companion. Which is to say, she's abandoned. Looking at the Doctor and Susan together, it's tough to explain why. The Doctor so clearly cares deeply about Susan. And he has family reasons to be with her. But he abandons her forever.

Why?

>copypasting Sandifer
>saying Hartnell's performance was bad

Everyone can see that you don't actually address a single point made there. You mock them but present no actual arguments for how it's wrong. I wonder why...

Because you touch yourself at night

Oh its a comin

>class edition

I think I heard Immigrant say there's only 1 actual Class fic in? Lel. I mention class extremely briefly in one of mine, but just in a list of tragedies 12 was a part of.
(For the record I enjoyed the actual show)

>3120
The Brain of Morbius get

>7500
Dalek Empire II: Dalek War get

What's the title?

Of what? The actual Class fic in there? Not sure, there's a list on the wiki though

Nah.

Lel. Could still access if you go to the page history I suppose

Also what do you think of these things an user has been posting with the covers together

Well I like how my art's getting posted, other than that, nothing much I can say about it.

Would you call it your magnum opus?

If both Cloisters actually were Time Lords, would it be dangerous for their timestream to interact in online threads so much?