As a person who knew absolutely nothing about the source material this movie was good and this character was the best...

As a person who knew absolutely nothing about the source material this movie was good and this character was the best character. Suck it weebs.

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/08/31/death-note-is-a-terrible-film-for-reasons-that-are-problematic-for-netflix/#78e9e9695a91
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

0/10 bait

As a person who has seen 2 episodes of the source material before, the movie was ok. Nothing remarkable. I'll grant that it was well filmed, the music was great, and Light's acting was at times quite promising, but as a whole the movie wasn't worth more than something to relax on a Friday night with.

Also I hate nigger L.

>ya kno what im talmbout shieet im finna find this cracka, this ya boy L out!

As a person who greatly enjoyed the source material this movie was terrible, but that character was pretty good apart from looking nothing like the character he's playing.

I'm not really a weeb, but I saw the anime because a friend recommended it to me and I fell in love with Misa. I was very dissapointed in the movie for ruining her character.

Misa wasn't in the movie, how did it ruin her?

Yes she was. They changed her name to Mia.

No surprises here, a movie will always be better than weeb trash. Anime is the lowest tier of entertainment after all.

As someone who read the manga week by week as the fan translations came out

As someone who watched the anime as it came out, week by week, with subs

As someone who watched the anime when it was on tv again with dubs

I liked it. No, it wasn't the most faithful to the source material, but L was surprisingly well acted by the nig nog and it cut all the crap and made it work in 2 hours.

As someone who is only vaguely familiar with the source material, the movie was pretty flawed. It felt like it was rushing a ton of exposition and I never really cared about Light or Mia. Dafoe was good. L's performance was either terrible or autismo kino, still digesting that one.

Ironically L was the character most close to the original

>Chimps out for Watari
>Three times

>L is a full blown autistic weirdo instead of an eccentric investigator

yeah nah. the actor was great but the script wasn't good at all.

As someone who is unfamiliar with the source material and hasn't watched this adaptation, this movie is of unknown quality and I have no opinion.

Thank you for your concise and valued opinion.

Did you watch the japanese live action adaptation?
If so, which do you prefer?
The japanese one was much more faithful to the source material, but it was pretty campy and had shitty effects.

Well I'm happy you liked it because now you can watch the original and you'll like it even better. :)

WATARI!?!

WATARI?!?

WATARI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>the gorilionth deathnote thread
how does it feel that Netflix has deemed us worthy of astroturfing?

This movie is worse than the third love action jap one where L stops a biologically engineered virus from being released while babysitting a little girl in an ice cream truck surveillance van.

OP here I read some reviews and most are shitting on the white washing of the characters but ironically they don't mention how one was black washed. This is actually both fascinating and ridiculous. Here is one I just read

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/08/31/death-note-is-a-terrible-film-for-reasons-that-are-problematic-for-netflix/#78e9e9695a91

As a person who knew absolutely everything about the source material I agree with op. Suck it cancelled weebs.

The race swapping angle is the worst reason to criticize this movie. The real problem is the writing is terrible. So terrible they had to make up new rules for how the death note works in order to make their shitty script work. Despite there already being like a hundred rules in the original they could have used.

And that's ignoring how much they butchered Light and Misa.

>there was much (((hand-wringing)))
Is Forbes redpilled?

lol Mia was an entirely different character

Because they butchered her character. Next you'll tell me Light is a different character just because his last name is Turner and they butchered him as well.

He filled the same roll as Light Yagami.

Mia was introduced in an entirely different way, had an entirely different relationship to Light, had entirely different motives, wasn't an model or anything, fuck.

The only similarities were the name was close and she used the Death Note.

She is obviously their version of Misa. They changed her name to seem more western and butchered her character the same way they did with Light.

As a nonhuman with no rights who only recently gained access to the internet and learned to communicate in english this movie was help me I am imprisoned at sea world

>well filmed

You were clearly seeing a different movie. The editing and pace was fucking dogshit. It was noticeably rushed and lacked suspense. Nowhere near as good as the source material (let alone the anime adaptation).

>As a nonhuman with no rights who only recently gained access to the internet and learned to communicate in english this movie was help me I am imprisoned at sea world
back to >>>/reddit/

Casting and everything aside butchering the character of Light was the biggest mistake. It was such a fun thing to watch the calculative psychopat in the original. You didn't even root for anyone just enjoyed the cat and mouse game, Light had a god complex from being such an excelling being.
Now Light was literally a teenager edgy retarded bullied bitch.

>well filmed, the music was great

the music is trash. like a bunch of tron 2010 out takes. netflix seriously has to fire all the 80s nostalgia faggots that they brought in

i think the only track with a guitar was during the prom scene?

adapting anime is hard, blah blah blah we know. the general public has absolute shit taste and no attention span.

but ONE thing you can always adapt faithfully is the fucking music. why change from progressive guitar tracks to ominous wub wub wub sounds?

listening to light unveil his plans with good music building in the background is part of what makes it so "epic"

listening to him lay out his plans in the hospital was just trash.

Ryuk was the saving grace for this movie.

No, I won't go. I don't have any interest in that site. I'm posting here on Sup Forums and help me I am at sea world and want to roam free

>As a..

kys

What's with the idiot spamming this thread about reddit when we were having a pleasant discussion before he decided to ruin the thread?

>hurr go bak 2 redit
>HUR GO BAK TO REDIT
>HUUUURRRRRRRRRR DROOOOOL
- that one guy in this thread

Black L>White Light

Thought they did a pretty good job desu in coming up with a way to condense about half the series into 2 hours... black L was actually pretty good

Never watched the anime but always thought the concept sounded cool. I thought the movie was like 5/10 and think that Adam Wingard should stop directing flicks though. One thing that bugs me is how almost all of the critics are complaining about whitewashing and saying that because of the story it needed to be Japanese centric, which I don't understand at all. The race of the characters seemed completely irrelevant to me while watching the movie.

They completely missed the point of Light's character so this will never be good as a story or an adaptation. It was written by utter hacks.

>hear about Death Note adaptation
>think it has a chance to be okay because Death Note has a lot of portability to cultures outside Japan, they could easily make it work
>they cast L as black
>don't really care as long as they get the performance down, L's whole deal is he's mysterious and aloof so he could be whatever race, doesn't matter
>see what they did to Light
And it was at that point I realized there was no chance it would be good. How do you fuck up the main character of a show that bad? I mean Jesus.

>DAE THE WHOLE MOVIE WAS SHIT EXCEPT FOR THE NIGGER XD !!!111 im not Sup Forums btw

It was all shit, the nigger included

I watched this movie while I was super high last night. Even while baked I knew that the movie was terrible and was unfaithful to the source material.

L was the only good part about this shitshow.
You could tell the actor they picked was really passionate about portraying the character
It's honestly kind of sad, he didn't deserve to be in this trainwreck.