long black

Larceny

Nigger.

LeBron

LITTY

Lequandro

The "L" is silent your racist.

KLANGZ

I finally saw this and what a piece of shit. I don't even care about the casting, the movie itself was nigh incomprehensible. I can only imagine what somebody who never saw the anime or read the manga would think.

LGTSS:
Great things:
>Willem Dafoe
Good things:
>
Shit:
>everything besides Willem Dafoe

He couldn't carry the movie, but he was genuinely entertaining as Ryuk. Completely caught me by surprise. All the other actors were complete garbage working with a garbage script.

The directing and L weren't too bad, but if it wanted to be a halfway good movie it should have been 2 movies to let the cat and mouse game go on.

L was quite good until Light killed his handler when he started flipping out, which isn't L. It's hard to cram in all the things that made Death note so good. Like when L started working with Light, the other death god, I feel the characters didn't have time to develop and it felt rushed.

Lawliet
i know because im a weeb

L for Literally the worst live action animu

L for Lactually not that bad, but I haven't seen the anime so I don't have anything to compare it to

I think the actor did what he could work that he was given, but that's not really L in my mind. He did this twitchy mumbling spaz routine and L is much more cool and calculated. The changing accent didn't help either.

Oh yeah, it was super rushed. They also fucked up some of the best plot twists. What made the scene with "L" showing his face on TV so legendary, for example, was that we never saw L before then, so we the audience had no way of knowing that was really a decoy. The trick of announcing a "global" broadcast when it's really only being shown in a small region was also a brilliant way to undermine the audience's expectations. L was shown slowly building his theory of how the killing worked and this scene was a giant payoff. You feel a rush when you think Light killed L, then a bigger rush when instead it turns out Light fucked himself and got outsmarted.

In the movie, we got some ass pull where L magically intuits that Light is operating through supernatural means and that he needs his victims' names and faces in order to kill them all in one sudden realization.

K for kys

Ehh, I've watched the anime and watched the movie with a bud of mine who didn't watch the anime or no anything about Death Note before. You're right it's not as good as the anime and that a second movie that focuses more on Light v. L having a battle of wits would be great. As its own movie, I'd say its pretty good, and one thing I especially appreciate about it is that it properly shows Light's descent from self-absorbed somewhat intelligent teenager into the psychopath genius Kira who was willing to let innocent people die if they got in his way. The anime kinda establishes Light as this way from neatly the first couple of episodes, so I found it nice, even somewhat more realistic for Light to have some reservations about killing innocents, at least at first, until the pressure on his life transforms him into something resembling the Light we know from the series.

Yeah, I think that's actually right

LITTLE

Nigger

Ligger

This movie fucking sucked. It was so melodramatic at points it felt like a fucking comedy film. Seriously, it's probably better to read or watch the old series again rather than see this.

ludacris

>I'm such a brainlet I use a letter IN MY NAME instead of throwing off my potential killer

I thought it was a comedy.
I laughed so much during the film.
All those shitty movies that Amy Schumer and SNL cast members wish they could be this funny.

This. After first being introduced to L within a few days he was able to determine
>deaths occur between 6p - 12a, weekends and holidays making it extremely likely that Kira is a student
>used a decoy and challenging him saying "kill me now, Kira" proving there needs to be a certain criteria in order to kill and not will alone
>lied about global broadcast but only aired it in one of Japan's regions
>deduced that Kira is a Japanese student in the Aomori, and possibly needs to know the victim's name among other things
>all within a few days
I wished they had at least included this scene in the movie, it would have displayed his great deduction skills in the perfect way. It even shows how Light absolutely hates to lose and Ryuk laughing at him being outplayed

With only an hour and forty minutes, the movie was rushed.

So does he eat lots of sweets in the movie or is that another thing that they changed from the anime?

Shouldn't have made it into a movie then. Like another user said make it a 2 parter or make it a short Netflix series of 10 episodes or so. The whole appeal of Death Note is the cat and mouse play between two extremely intelligent people. It's impossible to introduce everything and have a satisfying resolution within a hour and a half.

He does, he also sits in the same pose and talks the same way but only in the beginning then he starts flipping out and becomes a whole different person kinda. L doesn't do that since he is more sensible and calm, at leats from what I remember.

L'el

why the fuck does he sit like this? And don't say it's because he does it in the cartoon, I don't give a shit. What purpose does this serve? What does it communicate about the character? WHY IS IT IN THIS MOVIE?

He's a self loathing dindu. Wished he was a slav

I think he said in the anime that it makes it easier for him to concentrate or something.

He's from Japan.
Japan squat over their toilets.
It's in his nature.

"If I sit normally, my cognitive power decrease by 40%"
Episode 10 or so, irc

>no foot massage scene

0/10

That's fucking retarded.

I know

Did you all post that sitting normally?

Le-a(ledasha)

Lack of emotional control rendering you an ineffective detective.

Let me think of that line while sitting like that.
Can't concentrate, my knee hurt

You could buy a special edition Making Of volume of the manga that had his true name printed on a little art card.I remember his full name was L Lawliet so we still don't know what his first name is.

la li lu la lo

Why the fuck does he go out in public to address people? Does he straight up say he is L?

It's the part of the anime where he's daring kira to kill him so he can test out his theory that kira needs a name and face to kill - except they left out the entire build up to that part that made it effective. The pacing in this was awful.

I mean I liked the anime as much as the next weeb but those random percentage declarations are so fucking stupid
next to a bunch of other stuff, but hey...but hey, it's anime after all I guess

yeah in the anime he says it boosts his concentration by 60% or something dumb like that

would be much better if he just said "it helps me think" or some shit

I sit like this on my computer chair all the time, even right now.
don't know why but it's just comfy as fuck and keeps me warm

yeah but muh autism, you know

Would you say that L, and I don't use this lightly, chimped out?

Yeah, he pulled a gun and everything.

It was just a cover for his hemorrhoids

It's not an L. In his world it means hopelessness

Looting

>As its own movie, I'd say its pretty good, and one thing I especially appreciate about it is that it properly shows Light's descent from self-absorbed somewhat intelligent teenager into the psychopath genius Kira who was willing to let innocent people die if they got in his way. The anime kinda establishes Light as this way from neatly the first couple of episodes, so I found it nice, even somewhat more realistic for Light to have some reservations about killing innocents, at least at first, until the pressure on his life transforms him into something resembling the Light we know from the series.

1/3

Your analysis is quite good, yet to me this change, that you see as a quality, is one of the main problems of the film.

You see, everyone expects that a person of certain pride, sense of justice and intelligence, like Light, would slowly descend into full killer, first having to deal with all the initial guilt and bitter doubts. That is how most writers would build the character.

Yet, on the manga-anime, they take a very different aproach. Light, once in possesion of the Death Note, shows with full and uncurbed force exactly who he has always been: an extremely arrogant young man, one who despises other people and see them mostly as inocuous beeings, who wouldnt make any difference in the world. He knows he is superior, he knows he is much more intelligent than others, that he is also a handsome and magnetic young man with a great future in any area he chooses to work with. That's the main genius stroke: the notebook falled in the hands of someone who was not only brilliant, but ho had an enormous ego, someone who was, in a way, superior toothers and who knew he was superiorto others. This pride, this disdain: these were with Light from the start. (A side note: the guy who was cast as Light is normal looking; Light shouldbe not only extremely intelligent, but also a paradigm of human physical beauty)

2/3

I think the original Light is a great character. Had he not found the Death Note he would lead a life of great sucess in any enterprise he tried his hands on, perhaps found a wife and had kids, but all the time looking to others, to the world around him, to his own family, with a silent and sad smile of superiority: "These people are not like me; they are not onthe same level as I am; theymight, occasionaly, achieve some minor sucess, yet not one of them is on my level; most of them could dissapear and he world would not be poorer for that". His relation to other human beings is and was always going to be somewhat the same as Chekhov found in Tolstoy (o those who dont know,Tolstoy is maybe the only writer in the worldwho can face Shakespeare face to face in a competition for the crown of greatest of all writers; he also was pathologically egocentric):

"I admire him greatly. What I admire the most in him is that he despises us all; all writers. Perhaps a more accurate description is that he treats us, other writers, as completely empty space. You could argue that from time to time, he praises Maupassant, or Kuprin, or Semenov, or myself. But why does he praise us? It is simple: it's because he looks at us as if we were children. Our short stories, or even our novels, all are child's play in comparison with his works. However, Shakespeare … For him, the reason is different. Shakespeare irritates him because he is a grown-up writer, and does not write in the way that Tolstoy does."

when i was little i used to sit like this because it made it easier for me to hold my shit in weeks at a time. if the poop poked its head out i could suck it back in.

3/3

Yet Light discovered the note, and with that all the calm and curbed sense of beeing superior to other human beings sudenly springs forth with total force. Now he had in his hands almost a sparkle and artifact from divinity, the power to decide who lives and who dies. An article of the Legal Books of heaven, a crumb from the great machine of the cosmos, had fallen in the hands of one of the most brilliant human beings on Earth, and this particular specimen knew that he was superior and prided himself on his superiority. So it was only natural that there was no guilt in his work: why a human being at the top of the food chain, one of Michelangelo's angels in the midst of rags-of-flesh and mere scarecrows, why such a magnificent man should care with moral-law when nature had shaped him as one of his masterpieces?

All the beauty of this sickly pride - yeta pride that is almost justifiable, since Light is, in the world of Death Note, one of the most brilliant people on the globe - this whole original conception of the character is lost in the film.

Le'Genius

What the fuck is wrong with you

bathroom was haunted

read Liar Game you plebs

His focus should've gone from country to country killing inmates in prison riots and suicides. They blame it on increased violence and he doesn't get caught.

Maybe his butt hurts

Oh, you're a Pajeet

>Light Turner didnt even ate potato chips
XD XD SO LAME ROFL!

It would have been funny if Kira could still kill L with the shrouded face because to him blacks arr rook same.