Could the Half-Life Games be translated to the medium of film?

Could the Half-Life Games be translated to the medium of film?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7GJ1CQ8A9cE
youtu.be/TaN3sVvVYVk
youtube.com/watch?v=VtI5HM7GVGY
youtube.com/watch?v=ylyCY9srJGw
youtube.com/watch?v=_kF2-Cr6yX4
youtube.com/watch?v=g_WPWpo2AXU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

RDJ as Freeman

Half-Life Games couldn't even be translated to the medium of games

Maybe if it were called Half Life 3

talk too much

The universe? Maybe a mini series. But Freeman's story can't be adapted for obvious reasons.

Personally I think the Seven Hour War would be cool to see.

White Walkers™ instead of zombies

What are those obvious reasons that I'm missing?

Yes, everything can be transformed into garbage.

Gordon Freeman isn't a character that can be adapted to screens, at least not easily.

Ryan Gosling as Freeman

Why

I'm waiting for an explanation. Reasons, etc..

really fishing for those upboats since this is said every fucking time hl3 comes up

Because he doesn't speak, he has no personality that can be adapted. Valve made it that way so that it's you, the player, are in fact Gordon Freeman.

Only if they make it as a three part movie and only release two of them

He doesn't talk and has no personality

He is you and you are the only person that finds you interesting

>He will never play the G-Man

These guys did a pretty decent job, considering the budget.
>inb4: Freeman can't talk! xD

youtu.be/7GJ1CQ8A9cE
youtu.be/TaN3sVvVYVk

What do you think of Kyle MacLachlan as G-Man?

Are you shitposting? He has no voice, and if he was given one, fans would go apeshit and say the movie was awful. Having him not speak is embarrassing to watch.
See Look at how awful this shit is

half life is just some nerd gunning down invading aliens after some project breaks right?

Yes if it avoids gordon freeman a movie about a group of resistance fighters would be great

Well, realistically he does have a voice, it just needs to be extrapolated based on what he is. How would a character with his background and the choices he made, most likely be like?

The "Freeman is mute because he doesn't talk in game" theory is the pinnacle of autism.

No matter what they do, everyone will dislike it and shit on the movie for it.

Some will, but no matter what happens in anything, someone will always hate it.

It's not a theory. Characters in the games comment on him being quiet. He clearly doesn't speak for the entire game.

t. autist

>has no personality

>aspiring young scientist
>takes part in an experiment that floods the earth with monsters
>the weakened planet is taken over by imperialistic aliens
>he feels responsible
>throws himself frantically in danger every chance he gets
>does everything to undo what happened because of the experiment he was involved in

You want to tell me a competent writer couldn't get material for a movie out of this?

What are you even saying?
It would be a massive failure of a movie if the only people who give a shit about it are Half-Life fans, and it pisses off Half-Life fans.
Gordon Freeman having a voice is like how they made L black in that new Death Note movie.

Hahahah fuuuuck

>imagine being this cynical

Must be fun.

It could only be feasible if Gordon is not the main character.

Yes but it needs to have
>Mr Friendly in it
>A focus on mystery, not action
>Spooky atmosphere and slow pace

Could work

>hl2 HEV suit in black mesa

>It would be a massive failure of a movie if the only people who give a shit about it are Half-Life fans, and it pisses off Half-Life fans.

I'm pretty sure this sentence doesn't make sense.

I'm saying that some fans of half life will like it, some won't. Many people unfamiliar with half life will like it however. Not making the movie because the most autistic fans wouldn't like him having a voice, would be a pointless reason not to make it.

>Mr Friendly
>in a PG-13 movie

Fat chance

It already has.

It will be disliked because people get autistic over 'muh nostalgia'. You should know this by now. Making anything but an accurate adaption will cause people to be angry, especially if the changes are so blatant. Basically the only things non-fans know about Half-Life is that the protagonist is silent.

None of those things describe Half-Life though

There's still enough hints and clues spread throughout the games to give Gordon some character. His locker contents in HL1 for example. As well as the references other characters make throughout the games about his exploits at Black Mesa before the matter transporter accident.

Based on these references we can piece together that Gordon is a competitive and competent theoretical physicist who enjoys spending his free time on the firing range with his friend Barney and talking theoretical with Dr. Kliner and Dr. Vance.

Do you want to see the ruins my friend?

>all this talk of silent protag
Just give Freeman someone to bounce off of. Barney in the first movie can be the talkative one, Freeman is the straightman who responds purely by facial expressions.
Alyx fills that role in the second movie

Why should it be a faithful adaption?

>>he feels responsible
[citation needed]
>>throws himself frantically in danger every chance he gets
[citation needed]
>>does everything to undo what happened because of the experiment he was involved in
[citation needed]
oh, and could you describe in a few words what is his personality like btw or any other charateristics?

No!

The alien base certainly looks like Black Mesa.

You fucking absolute nerd

I can wait for the episode where he has to build a crate stack

>implying gamers aren't entitled pieces of shit. Fighting game kids being the worst.
Source: LAN Center owner.

Yeah, they did, it was called The Mist.

Name a better director for this than Denis Villeneuve

I interpreted his actions you autist like a writer would do if he tried to adapt the character. Why do you think he does anything in the games? Are you really too dense to understand a simple video game premise?

Ridley Scott

YEP just look at the 10 min fan film on youtube

Imagine a film based on this
youtube.com/watch?v=VtI5HM7GVGY

Yeah, so? You want to fight about it?

it's not the only interpretation. maybe hes just a coward trying to survive? maybe he doesn't feel guilty? the poit of Gordon is that he has no character, it's left for you fill in the blanks, so everyone has a different interpretation of him.

Making a Half-Life (1) movie would actually be fairly easy.
You already have a couple of diverse settings, several "factions" of people, well-sketched out creatures and a simple background plot. Just write characters with a compelling story into it and you are a go.

wake up mr freeman

Blomkamp (paired to a decent screenwriter).

I would say sure, if you don't have Gordon Freeman as the main character. It's impossible to have him in a movie because the player is Gordon Freeman, so everyone has a different idea on what his personality should be.

Make it a Blue Shift/Opposing Force movie instead with the focus switching back and forth between the science staff and HECU forces coming to clean everything up.

Of course G-Man and Gordon will have cameos, but don't let the actor playing Gordon even talk, and just show G-Man in the background doing dumb shit.

Eli Vance (Eamonn Walker) is overseeing an experiment that goes wrong. Lots of people are wounded, so Vance and Barney Calhoun (Eli Roth) make their way to the surface. Gina and Colette Green and Gina Cross (Eva Green and Amber Heard) meanwhile call for help and this brings in the military led by Adrian Shepard (Jeremy Renner) who are actually there to kill them.

Ross Scott is the only person who can play Gordon.

Could try to make a Half Life version of Hardcore Henry from the perspective of Freeman.

Yes but only if they either drop Gordon from it or make heavy changes to his character

>maybe hes just a coward trying to survive? maybe he doesn't feel guilty?

Gordon trying to redeem himself is the only interpretation that makes sense. For a coward he has a surprisingly high kill count wouldn't you say? And if he doesn't feel guilty then what's his motivation? What drives him to end the mess he started? Just because it isn't spelled out in the game doesn't mean a decent writer couldn't make assumptions about his personality and write a good character around them.

Who could pull off the G-Man speech pattern?
youtube.com/watch?v=ylyCY9srJGw

Dropping Freeman from a Half-Life movie would be the stupidest move ever, he's vital to the story. Just make him a background character.

by the time it'd hypothetically even happen he'd be just the right age and face

Christopher Walken

"You're treating me all wrong here, Dr. Freeman. You ever seen a man stabbed with a briefcase? Badda bing badda boom."

Alright. I would either like to see Rodney Dangerfield or Gilbert Godfrey as G-Man.

HL3 never ever. Kys.

notice how he talks about how alyx is 'worth more' than he initially thought, which lines up with laidlaws recently released ep.3 story of g-man switching from gordon to alyx

>mfw the Nihilanth was right

does John Maus play Half-Life?
youtube.com/watch?v=_kF2-Cr6yX4

Is the current G-Man theory that he is a Nihilanth?

This is basically Half-Life changed enough so they didn't need to pay the rights and no expensive CGI aliens too.
The rest is freeman and unforeseen consequences.

It doesn't matter who plays him because Gordon Freeman is not even a character.

That doesn't make any fucking sense.
For starters, the Nihilanth was the last one of his race.

holy shit this looks terrible. I can't believe Sup Forums is still attached to this garbage.

You say that like I should care. Maybe you should kys for being a presumptuous asshole.

hello underage

fuck off csfag.

The clear reddit choice.

is this speech pattern what Leto is trying to do in the new Blade Runner film?

>Gordon is 23 years old
>lets cast a fucking 60 years old to play him

lurk more newshit

i thought he was 27 in half life 1

How funny would it be if instead of HL3 they just released HL2 ep3?

it actually be a total of seven hours lol

my bad. still Cranston is a retarded choice
DUDE THIS CHARACTER HAS A BEARD AND THIS ACTOR ALREADY PLAYED A CHARACTER WITH A BEARD HES PERFECT FOR THE ROLE LMOAAAA

John Maus plays Counter Strike
youtube.com/watch?v=g_WPWpo2AXU

the answer is simple
>give the movie to Refn
>Goose as Freeman
>he never speaks a word and it's okay

who would play Alyx?
Shannyn Sossamon used to be the best pick but shes too old now.
Jewjew Abrams will probably pick the latest it girl who can play an ambiguous mixed race. Alicia Vikander or some shit.

I would personally hunt down and kill the director, writers, and actor if they gave Gordon a voice and "personality".

That's why I was asking. The reasoning for his actions don't justify the theory.