How do we fix the horror genre?

How do we fix the horror genre?

actually show horror
tired of le creepy old dude in the dark hall haha ain't that creepy :)

show me some fucking guts where's cronenberg when you need him

Another shoah.

>*knock knoc*
>"What was that??"
>*suspenseful music*
>*sound coming from walls*
>"there is something in the walls..."
>Cut to title card: "Within the Walls"

What's with all these boogie-man home invasion horror movies?

Horror has been a trash genre since its earliest incarnations, the absolute best thing you can say about Horror as a genre is it is 100% consistent as it has never stopped being trash, it just keeps on trucking, and you can't fix what isn't broken

But its fine
the witch and it comes at night are some of the best horror films released since the 70s/80s

it comes at night is fucking terrible

It's just that people aren't so easily spooked anymore, so a lot of horror films nowaday rely mostly on cheap jumpscares instead of creating the right atmosphere.
Also in this day and age we know much more stuff about our surrounding and even the whole universe itself, so making up horror storied based on fear of uknown is a pretty hard job.

good let me die in this new shoah but make it quick and with my diginity

we already did

You were right until and including ''the witch''

>look, another supernatural formulaic trash, this time rated R so that it attracts the redditor audience too!

I'm not so sure that there is a need to "fix" the horror genre. These movies just aren't going to be as scary to you as you get older. You've seen most of the tricks they use, so it takes more creativity to get a reaction out of someone in their 20's or 30's. Teenagers will continue to eat that shit up because everything is still relatively new and exiting to them...

I actually have fond memories of going to see all those shitty Jap horror remakes in high school. The Grudge and all that... Good times with friends.

"It Follows" did brilliant work for a modern horror film, mostly by understanding that tension is what makes horror (as opposed to jumpscares).

The entire conceit of the movie ("This thing is going to come for you and nobody else can see it") causes the viewers to watch and scan the background of every scene, looking for something out-of-place, mirroring what the afflicted characters are going through (and without the other actors giving things away, because they can't see it by construction).

This, coupled with the finality of the curse, create a perfect dread in viewers, periodically tightened up when we are with the characters in a new place.

Hopefully more folks will learn.

This

With "original" ideas like It Follows, The Vvitch etc. I'm tired of the same spooky ghost or screeching teleporting monster shit you see in every movie now. Less cliches, more innovation.

This. There's been schlock since the 40's. The classics have always been diamonds in the rough.

less gross
less jump scare
more dread

Turn it into imagination fueled creepypasta.

Remove jumpscares, focus on building tension to actually cause a sense of "horror" in the audience instead of just startling them.
>less gross
I disagree. Bodyhorror can be used well its just that Saw doesn't.

I miss Italian horror. I've gotten tired of the "implied" violence, the slow pacing that leads nowhere and the utterly bland jumpscare soundtracks.

Enough with the goddamn demons and exorcisms. It's not scary unless you're some religious dweeb.

>less gross
>less jump scare
>more dread
What are some post 2000 horror movies? No boring shit please

you put me in charge