What is Welcome to NIght Vale of Sup Forums

What is Welcome to NIght Vale of Sup Forums

Gravity Falls.

Moral Orel.

Overrated by tumblr, not necessarily funny or scary, not bad but not great, only well known for being different?
>Over the Garden Wall

/thread
Courage also a good choice

/thread

What happened to this? It used to be huge. Did tumble ruin it or something

Yes. It became less about spooky stuff and more about... well, tumblr stuff.

The creators are more interested in pandering to Tumblr and patting themselves on the back for it than creating a story.

As a result, the show is now badly paced, slow, and no longer spooky or even mysterious.

Newfag here. What's "Welcome to Night Vale"? What does it mean being the Welcome to Night Vale of something?

When you say "newfag", do you mean new to the internet?

/thread

>Le Tumblr Ruins Everything meme

The novelty just wore off, like every other once popular internet thing.

>OtGW
>not great

There are better horror/weird podcasts. Heck, the creators of it are making Alice Isn't Dead now, which is better than Nightvale has ever been.

>spooky or even mysterious.
God DAMN it. First SCP, now this, what the fuck is wrong with people these days? Is it so much to ask for something to maintain a consistent baseline of spooky? I don't expect constant fright but Courage the goddamn Cowardly Dog managed to keep a general level of weird and unnerving throughout its fucking run.

Gravity Falls had an overarching plot and some sort of intended endgame, though, even if it fucked up. Didn't Night Vale just consist of often unrelated vignettes?

Eh, maybe. I don't think tumblr gives much of a shit about it though.

>and no longer spooky or even mysterious
Was it ever actually spooky?
I haven't listened to that much of it but it was mostly just paranormal shit played for gags, mundane reactions to insane happenings, and then they play a song for the weather forecast.
That's not really spooky in my books.

The Strex Corp episodes were pretty creepy. Otherwise it was just the slightly unsettling mystery of the town that gave it a spooky vibe.

Trouble is, now they go out of their way to give every inhabitant of the town a Tumblr-approved backstory, so there is no mystery anymore.

I really liked this for a while
>Cecil getting sucked into an alternate dimension radio station with blood and guts all over the place
>the eerie tapes about his childhood and replacing the old radio presenter
but then it just became about the fact that he was gay as fuck and his relationship anxiety with his perfect boyfriend, and I just couldn't listen to it anymore. It wasn't spooky, and it wasn't interesting.

That, and the incessant shilling and begging for 3 minutes at the start of every episode, holy shit.

Only listened to year one, does his lust for Carlos become the sole focus then?

Basically. I was able to deal with it for a while, but it became such a prominent part of every episode. It was like the radio show was him writing in his journal about his relationship, it became unbearable.
Although, thinking back, I dropped it for good when the book came out, and the entire episode for that week was
>you won't understand this part unless you bought the book
>*wink wink*
>*nudge nudge*
Fuck them.

What is "The Room" of Sup Forums?

Food Fight?

Yeah, unfortunately.

>One minutes of actual interesting stuff.
>But forget about that, lemme tell you about my mancrush on that cute widdle Carlos~

I'd find it obnoxious if it was a straight relationship too. I want that creepy ominous stuff.

I only started listening when the book came out. I'd heard of it before, but didn't know that much about it. Saw the book while browsing, read the blurb and thought the show sounded interesting.

Not sure if I'll go back and listen to more, if it gets as uninteresting as people here are saying.
I'm bored by relationship talk of people I actually know, never mind fictional characters.

Cecil and Carlos were much funnier when Carlos was still oblivious and Cecil just had a semi-creepy one-sided crush. When they made it official it sucked all the comedy out of the situation.

Delgo

Delgo

Yup. It was actually pretty funny before they made it real.

Steven Universe

Decent concept ruined by smug creators and pandering. Loses the charm which made it likable in the first place in favor of trying to hype ever-increasing and poorly conceived 'lore'.

Carlos should have always been the outsider perspective to the weird shit, not become part of it

and Cecil's obsession with Carlos should have been one sided and a little creepy, actually putting them together was dumb

This, it even has musical numbers.

I listened to a few episodes. Can you guys elaborate on this? What exactly changed?

> Tumblr-approved backstory

Explain?

The Nutshack. Surprised, you even had to ask.

>Didn't Night Vale just consist of often unrelated vignettes?
Nooooooooooooooooo, no, no, no.

It is actually building some deep lore and just takes its time to have the real plot move.
Really, the town's founder is some heavy /x/.

I used to listen to this. Last I listened Carlos was still in the desert place but its been a very long time so I guess thats over with. Its pretty good and sometimes great (strex corp take over arc) but eventually it just becomes meh.

I can't quite remember the specifics to be honest, but it's generally stuff like "creepy orphan kid no. 2 is a black lesbian", "the five headed dragon is pansexual", "the intern is a muslim lesbian" et cetera

>There are better horror/weird podcasts.
Which are?

Tumblr loves OTGW and that's because OTGW is great.

The last really good episode they had was the one where they had an interview with that guy cecil hates.

I've never been a real fan of Nightvale but it did start to pick up a bit about where I'm in which is like 60 episodes? A Story About You is the best episode and a great piece of media.

I don't think it's possible to like current SU less than beginning SU so I think you're baiting.

A 7 headed dragon being pansexual seems appropriate and I wouldn't have it any other way.

They come in pairs. You come in pairs.

Kill you double Sup Forums.

Second part is wrong, user. The slice of life episodes of WtNV are the best ones, while the slice of life episodes of SU are the worst ones.

Gravity falls didn't dip in quality after the first 10 episodes though.

I listened to a few Night Vale episodes and it was ok but I couldn't get into it and nothing was really interesting to be frank

Yeah, it waited until it introduced the author of the journals.

Yeah. That's kinda the feeling I've always had. It's trying to go for a weird Twin Peaks esque thing but it's wirdness is too much that it just becomes a town where anything can happen with no normalcy to let you feel when strange things are really happening.

>Alice isn't dead

Is that the one with the lesbian truck driver who from the first episode sounded like they'd never even seen the inside of a semi truck before?

See, I was fine with that for one reason. Carlos.

The Date was the first episode I ever listened to, because it was the latest one at the time. I marathon'd the whole thing because of Carlos. He was the only one who wasn't from Night Vale, and for a while it looked like he was actually just a normal guy who accidentally found himself in some truly horrifying place. Using his vast knowledge of the scientific, in vain, in order to try and escape/disprove/understand this impossible little desert town that's holding him hostage and threatening his life.

It was genius, Cecil is a great unreliable narrator, so unspecific mentions about the kind of work Carlos actually is an expert in made sense.
>I guess I should see if I can come up with a way to save the town
This plus a few other "quotes" from Carlos really made me want a spin off series from his perspective. Just assigned to take a regular observation gig in this bumfuck nowheresville, only to be psychologically tortured from the absurdity of it all. Tales of him using his quick wit in order to narrowly escape death, and save the town. Meanwhile, everyone else think's that he's the weird one for not expecting to one day be sacrificed, or torn to shreds, or have your soul stolen.

I was even pretty sure that Carlos wasn't originally meant to be gay. However, the events that happened underneath lane 5 of the bowling ally was his breaking point. He was really convinced that he was going to die, and after he was saved, he just said
>"Fuck it. Cecil genuinely seems to like me, so if he's the closet thing to some real human contact in this hell, then I might as well give him a fair shot."

But they just HAD to ruin it, and give him that annoying high-pitched fag voice. The terror doesn't hit as hard if the people it's happening to are used to it. It makes the terror more effective when you can see yourself in a character.

But nope, he's just as weird as the rest of them.

Fucking Joseph Fink.

Nightvale started out as a series of just vignettes but eventually attempted to do a longer form overarching plot and failed spectacularly. It ends up being a really boring radio drama about the PEOPLE in the town rather than a series of stories about the occurrences in the town. The Gravity Falls comparison is surprisingly apt.

The series was lost the moment we heard voices other than Cecil's. Him being our only, very narrow window into this world is what kept it interesting and mysterious. When we have other people starting to corroborate his stories, or contradict him, giving us a fuller picture of the town, the mystery and uncertainty start vanishing. Like, all that Smiling God nonsense really worked up until it came to a head and Strexcorp took over everything and we start hearing the strex people and Dana the intern and all these other people.

I was going to say that GF got shitty and pandery near the end, but no that describes both perfectly.

This is genuinely a case where the yaoi meme killed it. I had some bad feelings about it when the Carlos/Cecil subplot was first introduced, but dear god the fucking desert arc. Weeks of Cecil just going on and on about how gay he is for Carlos, while all the weird and spooky and lore and even SOL shit got pushed aside for gay angst and shitty pretentious monologues.

That's actually around episode 30. I'd say the plot peaks with the end of the Strex Corp arc, though there are some good episodes afterwards and some nice lore bits.

Yeah but I've listened past that to about episode 60. That was a fantastic episode and I loved every bit of it.

Anyone listen to Limetown? When's that coming back. Everyone should listen to Limetown. It's good and really short.

Same. I wanted to like it because it's an interesting premise but it felt like they were struggling to figure out how to make it work.

>Courage also a good choice
but Courage is actually good

To be fair, without the book, that episode just reads like "There is no Part 1: Part 2".

This. The situation was actually funny before. Carlos is the straight man (in the comic sense) who is aware of how insane and scary this town is and is trying to better understand it and warn its inhabitants about its dangers... but all of that shit is so mundane and commonplace that it's white noise to Cecil and all he can think about is how dreamy this guy. That's actually funny.

Then they get together and it completely kills the joke.

>A Story About You
this was my favorite episode

Yea. Course had the gag also been that Carlos has never existed and its just some kinda psychosis on Cecil creating this person he can connect with. Would have been great.

But yea where it is now ruins things.

Its the error of some things. They saw how many fans liked it so they did what those fans wanted. Cept it ruined it for everyone else.

I was considering getting into this and still might.
But based on what you're saying, what is a good stopping point?

There still hasn't been any elaboration on the Dark Planet, Lit by no Sun.
It even comes up in the book but with no explanation.

TANIS, the black tapes, knifepoint horror, the message, limetown, Archive 81, magnus archive are a few

Seconded. Always looking for recs since this turned to shit and I'm too poor to shell out for nosleep.

Probably Sonichu?

Probably that new Dead Man mini. It's got ghosts, a haunted house, and also a wacky transgender black persyn who identifies as They/Them and, ahem, "THEY'RE AWESOME!" as the protagonist demands we agree.

The whole pandering thing started out pretty understated in Night Vale. Of course, the spin off series is literally JUST about a lesbian trucker looking for her missing partner.

Here's the best example I can give to represent what WTNV became.

In the early episodes, the announcer talks about a man's shiny teeth. This led tumblr to believe he was gay. Due to his name and being from Texas, they also assumed he was Mexican. They repeated this so many times that eventually both were made canonical by the writers.

Then they immediately started complaining that's straight white male was voicing a Hispanic gay man, so the announcer's VA had to retire so a Hispanic gay VA could have his role.

List some better podcasts. I need them.

I listened for about 5 episodes and the only thing I took from it was that it tried way too hard. It didn't sound like a proper news show- instead it was written as vignettes, like a bunch of creepypasta chopped up

not that guy, but I'll give you some of mine.

Archive 81, Ars Paradoxica, EOS 10, Hadron Gospel Hour, Kakos Industries, King Falls, Bright Sessions and Wolf 359.

Though my all time favorite podcast is SAYER. Seriously, give it a listen if you haven't. It's fucking incredible once it gets going.

All of those I mentioned are either Sci-fi or Horror, most having a fair bit of comedy too.

Marvel/DC Cape Comics. Batman, to be specific.

The Strexcorp arc. It's worth a listen, but it breaks some of the fundamental things that made the series work. The idea that everyone accepts what's going on in this town (except Carlos), the basic lovecraftian premise that the real forces in the universe are too big and too scary to really comprehend, much less fight, and it starts becoming more of a play and less of a narrative.

Limetown
Archive 81
Magnus Archives
Knifepoint Horror
Lore
King Falls AM
The Bright Sessions
Alice Isn't Dead is also written by Fink but is better than Nightvale IMO
Black Tapes and Tanis started off okay but got pretty shitty
Then there's non fiction podcasts like Caustic Soda, Blurry Photos, Thinking Sideways, Futility Closet that go over mysteries and other weird shit

Feels good man to finally hear other sane people agreeing with me on this one. The only "friends" I have who listen to the podcast are tumblrtards so they only cared about the OMG CANON GAY COUPLE SQUEEEE!!!! Buncha delicate snowflakes.

Yeah but "there is no part 1:part2" was pretty good. The Epilogue was a shekel grab.

In the early episodes 1-25 it's revolved around creating a unnerving atmosphere by '>implying' things through its unique wording. A scentence would start somewhere and finish in a completely unsuspected or familiar place. What sold it for me was the scentence structure really and the amount of silent story telling. I especially loved Ep36 - Missing, because they threw that concept out of the window and the radio host, instead of saying what the management told him, explained through a traffic statement that he was being forced to report against his will and didn't want anyone else to end up in his "puppet-like" situation.

>current night vale is the current marvel of podcasts

Don't get me wrong, I love some good homo lust, but in this case it basically ruined Nightvale

>first SCP

The SCP community was never limited by spookyness. Some of the early articles literally had slapstick comedy.

some anons did a debunking of it. and it is kind of a transition to death or a motif for death. and when cecil went into the condo to get carlos out carlos was seeing "rows and rows of beakers and equipment" which is his desire. As cecil goes into the condo he sees the dark planet lit by no sun, and we know that cecil is very possibly hundreds of years old and could be immortal, which is why the release of death is his true desire.
I do wish they did this lore shit more often instead of tumblr shit.

Lurk more newfag

I wanna know more about the whole nuclear war, Nulogorsks(?) history and ties with night vale. More about the angels, what the numbers stations are really for and all that sort of stuff.

Now it's all 'dragons lol xd' and 'isn't it great how im in love with carlos?'

Night vale is one of the very few things that makes me genuinely angry to think about how much it's deviated from what it should be.

>Thinking Sideways

Good taste

jewseph will do anything for more shekels. including a 3min "we need money" speech at the start of every episode

Night Vale was ruined the moment the Glow Cloud made it second appearence.

Those sorts of memes are the things that cause tumblr to descend onto something and muck it all up.

Maybe he should try selling me undies

Casper mattresses, nature box, square space and legal zoom.

I've been getting Blue Apron a lot recently. Anyone ever used any of this bullshit?

Nature box was actually pretty tasty, but you just don't get enough of it for what you pay.

square space isn't half bad, if somewhat limited.

Actual IT people will glare at you for using it too.

From what I listened to it was just ok, it had an interesting premise that was quickly ruined by shipping fags. It became less about the supernatural, eerie stuff and more about "Hey, look at how gay Cecil and Carlos are for each other!"

Bump for cool podcasts. I need Limetown to continue.

Tumblr hasn't cared about Night Vale for years now. Who are they still pandering to?