Hate Thread

Why does modern CGI look so bad? I swear it looks considerably worse than it did 15 years ago. It might be more detailed, but with the choices being made everything looks like a fucking cartoon now. I just watched Alien Covenant and the second it switched to a space scene it looked cheap and shitty compared to the pretty decent set design going on elsewhere.

It's the same for the new Star Trek and Star Wars films. The stuff that is actually filmed looks ok but the CGI stuff looks totally different and not aesthetically consistent. Would it really be so hard to build a decent model these days with 3D printing? The set design going on in some modern films is out of this world, surely it can't be that hard to make some models, film them and composite them digitally?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24&t=46s
youtube.com/watch?v=b9zDQQ3uNAE
youtube.com/watch?v=Vp1rS_UAvjs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it depends on how they use cgi, most of the artists dont know how to use this shit. But some do better at it.

youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24&t=46s

That's a perfect use of it but I'd argue it's the exception rather than the norm.

This video makes me sad:

youtube.com/watch?v=b9zDQQ3uNAE

cgi is cheap now. back in the day cgi was expensive so it had to be good, or else not worth the $$$

It has always deeply triggered me that Jurrasic Park merchandise never used the designs you see in the actual movie. These longsleeves are fucking cool.

>These longsleeves are fucking cool.
only autists wear those...

Maybe in the US, longsleeves are relatively cool in the UK.

When you get to a certain age long sleeves become attractive. When you start to notice people your age with the little white scars where the beginnings of skin cancer was cut away, long sleeves suddenly seem like a good idea.

depends on use. if it is GCI-shitfest fight, sure. but proper CGI-makeup like this is, based on practical, just buffed up, is great

That's fine for fantasy stuff. Sci-fi should feel real though. I just do not understand what's so hard about compositing model spacecraft. They have few moving parts, they're not especially hard to make. It can't be that expensive to have models in scifi films.

It's the jump from movies using 24 fps to 48 fps.

It makes minor inconsistencies easier to point out, and that shit adds up.

Bad color grading on movies an effect too.

>wasting millions on CGI when audiences have shown they will accept subpar shit anyway

Long sleeves are not autistic. It's cool if you have long sleeves and roll them half way up, but just wearing them normally otherwise isn't autistic, especially if it's fall.

Lets post examples of good, or in this case, GREAT cgi.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vp1rS_UAvjs

God damn i love Davy Jones
such a B A S E D character

You don't have to tell me, I'm wearing this rn

That's acceptable for sure, because it doesn't look out of place for the film. There's something particularly jarring about the shift from space to non space in recent sci-fi and it's inexcusable.

>It's the jump from movies using 24 fps to 48 fps.
Except that apart from The Hobbit, movies are all 24fps and no industry-wide jump to 48fps has happened yet.

When it started out in the 90s it was a lot more expensive and so it was only really used for shots that couldn't be realized with physical/practical effects. They were also more conscious of its limitations and worked around them.
Then, computers improved and more people went into computer animation so the price of the hardware and labor went down so people got greedy and started using it as an excuse to not actually build a sets, just big green rooms.

Tbh the only CGI in Covenant that bothered me was when the Xeno walked into the Terra forming bay toward the end.

It has that weird blurry/glowy look that I can't understand. Battlefront 2's space combat honestly looks better than Rogue One and TFA for the same reason.

Ignore the size of the picture but this is exactly what I mean. Even in 4k this still looks really unnatural and cartoonish.

Both of you are retarded

no u

I guess you could argue about Star Wars Episode VII with the CGI (though I thought it was pretty good). But I honestly think that Rogue One's CGI was pretty fucking awesome. Especially since it looked like they used CGI based on the models from the original trilogy. The Star Destroyers namely.