I'm hyped for Iron Fist and all, but couldn't they have had the actor bulk up a bit?

I'm hyped for Iron Fist and all, but couldn't they have had the actor bulk up a bit?

He looks scrawny as fuck.

He is ostensively the worst pick for the role. Even some of the asian dudes vying for the role had ripped bodies and martial arts experience. Finn jones has this going for him; he's cute, and he's white. Which is not hard to come by in hollywood like at all.

I'm sure you are all jacked and muscular user.

But if you are so interested in muscular men, you can surely found stuff on the internet

I don't watch GoT so all I know about him is that he's at least a blond white guy. I was worried they'd make him asian or black or something. Hell I remember lots of Sup Forums people wanting him to be hispanic.

But he lacks any muscle or experience. This is supposed to be a man who fought a dragon in hand to hand combat.

>tfw you have more muscle than a Hollywood actor playing a superhero

If only it weren't for all the fat on top of it

You know what? Fuck it, I probably would be a better pick. Even as a fat neck beard at least I have kung fu experience.

Motherfucker doesn't look like he knows what a dantian is.

His role in GoT was literally as a dumb pretty boy that teen chicks sperged out over.

He was also gay and was bottoming to an older dude

He isn't supposed to be jacked. However, Jones is kind of a shitty actor and that beard and hair combo in the trailer looks terrible and not very Danny-like at all. They should've gotten the guy from Marco Polo for the role.

The top guy isn't older he just has a beard.

>He isn't supposed to be jacked
Bullshit. He had to be K'un Lun's best pick in order to get access to the qi.

I dunno

I always thought of Danny as slim, his technique is just perfect and he also has the mystical edge, that's what makes him.

Let Daredevil look all cut.

Wrong role I think. This guy played Lancel, not Loras.

Danny is as buff if not buffer than Murdock. Remember that this guy has been training kung fu since a kid. He only got the magic edge later.

But it's magic.

I want /fit/fags to leave.

That would trigger asian men even more.

Shit you might be right

Whatever I'm brown and all you fucks look the same to me

Older than him, I mean

So he'll perfect for the role once The Defenders rolls around and he's with Iron Fist, then.

No, Finn Jones was Loras.

No it's the right role

Why were there so many people demanding an Asian Iron Fist? They do know he's always been white right? It's not whitewashing.

Because they think Iron Fist being white in the comics is typical comic racism, and wanted to "correct" the problem with the live action casting.

Nevermind the fact that casting an Asian in a kung-fu story is another can of racism in itself.

>Finn jones has this going for him; he's cute, and he's white.
Like Danny?

>I'm muscular but I am fat

Yeah that's not how it work, no one cares about fat strength

What about the world strongest men?

No, Finn played Ser Loras. Lancel was played by Eugene Simon.

>Why were there so many people demanding an Asian Iron Fist?
Because Marvel courted the SJW audience and got what they wished for.

How many fedoras do you own?

A 300 pounds greasy fuck is stronger than 80% of the world
Most strong men are fat.

I actually kinda want it because Luke Cage did blaxplotation and made it work again (the sheer campiness of it all was charming)

I'd like to see a throwback to the old Bruce Lee films

lmao, that guy looks about as skinny as me, and I don't even leave my house.

But Shang Chi is in the series.

>know martial arts stuff
>lol fedoras

>at least I have kung fu experience.
Hollywood gives absolutely zero shits about experience when they have cinematography, stunt doubles and post-production on their side. Normies are absolutely apathetic towards fights looking real or believable.

I get that, but Iron Fist is as wuxia a story as you can get. If you're gonna make a series then go balls in.

Shame the fight scenes look like typical MMA garbage so far.

I really don't know why they picked him. Not buff, can't fight, not a particularly great actor, not particularly attractive especially with that beard.

Because retarded Asian stereotyping is a-ok as long as whitey doesn't get to appropriate a martial art. As we know, no non-Asian has ever learned one of those and the martial arts competitions at the Olympics are a festival of Japanese and Koreans dueling themselves.
The beard is easily the biggest mistake.

This is what Bruce Lee looked like shirtless without Hollywood movie magic but you're right OP, Danny should definitely look like he's Lou Ferigno in Pumping Iron

Compare the two. Bruce Lee looks way more muscled, even if it is compact.

Post more useful images than the comparison of titties we have in this thread. Finn's look bigger.

Manlet shitposters are worse. Barely.

StrRRAAAAAANGE Music.

Compare the two, man. Bruce's chest is far more muscles. Look at his shoulders.

Size does not equal power.

Compare that to OP's picture. The guy in your webm is way more muscular.

Reminder

Every buddy cop movie involving a black guy and an asian is instantly great and people want to see that dynamic, it's a subconscious thing, dude, y'all don't even realise it.

White privilege at work

>not wanting delicious qt Iron Twink

Ultra pleb.

>without Hollywood movie magic

yeah, but the screenshot of that scrawny chest in is from a video, so... where's the "hollywood movie magic" there??

You should be comparing bruce on film to this scrawny nerd on film; there is no comparison.

you know.. stuff like this really makes me think-- there's no difference between any races? Just pick the person who best portrays the character; it's not like genetics will change the kind of character he is.. basically who cares what "race" he is.

Colorblind casting is fine as long as the story doesn't involve racial issues. I don't think that's the case here, racist claims that the Asian experience is interchangeable with the white one notwithstanding.

>casting an Asian in a kung-fu story is another can of racism in itself
no its not
saying an asian can do kung fu isnt racist if hes the main character of a kung fu story
saying an asian can do kung fu is racist if the character is just an asian guy

>casting an Asian in a kung-fu story is another can of racism in itself

Thinking you have to cast an Asian because it's a kung foo show is racist though.

Its stupid because part of Iron Fist's canon that's evolved around the fact that him, his father and his adoptive(?) grandfather are white.

fuckn hell my body looks like that and I just lift weights, i dont even fight

Leung Kar-Yan has had a hundred fucking dope martial arts movies and had zero martial arts experience

But Danny was literally pretending to be Daredevil at one point and no-one could tell the difference physically

You can clearly see Bruce has great abs here.

I wouldn't even call it colourblind casting.. that makes it sound like an effort, and it really isn't. Yes, to tell a specific historical story, you would maaybe need a literaly accurate portrayal of people--- although even that isn't limited to genetics (makeup, ect can cover that). So basically you can cast anyone for any role. Make sure they're good for it. And if there's no real historical context (excluding imaginary stories), their "colour" on screen doesn't matter.

"Skin" or "hair" marketing comes from people who don't even know how to make good movies or shows.. basically marketing people who think that the "wrong race" or "eye-colour" will put people off watching the show. If there's someone out there who thinks like that, their opinions should be disregarded.

I sincerely think "Whitewashing" in comics comes down to the writer's personal experience if they're an honest person.. he builds from what he knows, and if he grew up in a white neighborhood, and watched shows and read books starring white people, then that's all he can imagine.

There is a political angle to exclusion if we're talking about a society where this writer could've met more ethnicities if they weren't segregated, or if the editior's office practiced the same kind of racism. Things are bit less segregated in America now which makes the whitewashing more obvious.

Whatever the reason, if, say, a really good actor fit the role, who cares what his genes are. You can tell the exact same story. It wont change the style at all. Put the performance first, and you have a good show/movie.

the guy tried to look for the most unfalttering pic of bruce to make a point that doesn't even make sense, because bruce looked great on film, and this guy doesn't.

I not like white Iron Fiss! He make my Ching go chop suey Wong.

but iron fist is white. Now don't get me wrong, if his original concept was that he was asain I'd be fine with that but let's not forget how many people would be upset if an Asian super hero was a kung fu master. I mean think about it how many people would go one the stereo type rant if he was asain. really there is no winning here.

What was the reasoning behind calling him Red in the movie, again?

Sure, we know it doesn't matter, though if a story is about specific racial politics it does for obvious reasons. The other issue is that casting calls routinely specify race, so colorblind casting requires them to cut that shit out and also not let the casting director secretly have race in mind when making choices.
In the case of comics there's obviously a level of personal experience determining the characters; otherwise it wouldn't be a bunch of whitish New Yorkers saving the world all the time.

Now I'm no expert on Iron Fist but isn't an early plot point alienation? He was the only White guy in wherever the fuck he trained and when he came back to America is was completely alien to him. You could make Black or Hispanic or whatever. Seems like the only thing you can't make him is Asian

In the book, he's Irish. Red=Red hair.

He's also a perfect example of why genetics do no play into a role or story (obviously). Just cast the best actor.

*the actor's genetics.

Yeah I know why he was named Red in the book and I agree with what you said earlier. I just can't remember why they called him Red in the film but I know they covered it

I agree but who will they cast?

Are they any white guy hunks left in Hollywood

Could Chris Pine do it if DC didn't get him?

well then put a fat girl as iron fist.
The reason people go white first was because of knowing your audience, then there is the fact that asain people are stereotyped as kung fu masters.
Now people who don't read comics are gonna look at this asain super hero and go, "oh so he's asian, his super power is kungfu? fucking racist."
There is no really winning when it comes to race.
So making Iron Fist asain in the show, how many non comic book readers and comic book readers would be offended by that?

okay I did some research, he says the Irish line as a joke, but his full name is "Ellis Boyd Redding". So that's where "Red" came from. The joke still works.

Him staying white is optimal since he's superficially the embodiment of rich white privilege (I say superficially since he didn't grow up in that world) standing up for the little guy

don't compare physical prowess to genes. Yes, you can cast a "fat girl" as iron fist, but to fit the role, she would have to lose weight.

I get what you're going for, with the angry rant, but relax.

well the reason also is he's supposed to be the white guy to the black guy. The defenders Established Luke Cage and Iron Fist as like the lethal weapon cop duo only with super heroes.
This is where their relationship came from.

Danny is pure WASP, which is the irony of it all. He's a blond haired blue eyed son of a bitch from a rich family who regularly slums it with Luke Cage eating take out.

Have the other immortal weapons been cast or mentioned at all?

Same thing can be done to matter what the actor's genes are, the same exact thing can still be done; Same story.

oh bro I'm not mad at all, My point being though is that casting in a show isn't like casting a play.
Casting in a play you can do nearly what ever you want. Like a girl being peter pan.
When it comes down to it though when groups of people whow have no prior info on the source material, how do you think think they are going to react? It's a cycle that never ends.

even with the source material, it doesn't matter who you cast as long as they do a good job.

People who do plays should care about the source material too, even if they cast a girl to play pan, she can't play him as captain hook.

not really, though i do get your point, but because you are reflecting on what is today's standards to the standards of the source material.
If race didn't mattered then why complain about the white guy in the first place? I get what you mean though, the fact of the matter is that people will default on the original race regardless.
I have been in plays where we needed asain actors but none showed up to audition, and when I was casted I asked the director if I would have gotten the part if there was an asain actor auditioning, he said if this actor was the same as you in every way but race I would have to choose the asain actor.

it does to the fans, I didn't see the recent fant4stic movie, but was black jonny any good?

>I was casted I asked the director if I would have gotten the part if there was an asain actor auditioning, he said if this actor was the same as you in every way but race I would have to choose the asain actor.

That's a gross miscalculation on his part.

>but because you are reflecting on what is today's standards to the standards of the source material.

It's not a "standard" so much as it literally doesn't matter.

>If race didn't mattered then why complain about the white guy in the first place?

I will never complain about that, but I will complain if only a "white guy" was considered as if it mattered. I don't know if that's going on here, though, so I won't speak out of turn. But we're having an open discussion and it's healthy.

if black jonny was bad or good, that comes down to director, writers, and the actor himself.

Not that fact that he's "black".

>I will never complain about that, but I will complain if only a "white guy" was considered as if it mattered.
But, in this case, it IS a white guy in the comics. Why make a complete arbitrary change when his whiteness is actually a plot point?

Fuck, if I recall Davos hated the shit out of Danny specifically because he looks like his father, and Danny's father punked Davos.

but that's not what happened. People were pissed that he was black and people were pissed at the people who were upset that he was black. People judged the movie before it was out.

I understand that it doesn't matter to you, buy it still does to other people. You are complaining on an "if" here mind you. So we can't say for sure if that's the case.

> body shaming guys

I never want them to change something for an arbitrary reason. If a bunch of people were considered, and a really good portrayal by a [insert genes here] actor was dropped for a sub-par white one, *that* in itself is arbitrary.

The same exact story could be told by anyone of any appearance. If this guy is the best actor for the role, then his genetic background shouldn't matter. I'm excited for the story regardless of the actor's genetics, but he had better act the role well, something that comes down to the actor, not genetics.

I think our discussion is about whether or not there's a difference on the genetic level, and there simply isn't. You can tell the exact same story. Change nothing, not the location not the names, nothing. Actors, writers, directors should do their job.

that's just one of things that might happen, but it doesn't decide the integrity of the actor and the director, or the quality of the performance. They decide how good a job they should do. Heath Ledger's face in TDK confused me when I first saw it, but the man and the director won me over with the quality of their performance, no nonsense about Heath being Australian or the shape of his head, and that getting in the way or some bullshit, even if anyone said that it didn't matter, the people in charge focused on their job, as they should. The result is a joker that's so iconic I can't stop associating his face with the character.

absolutely, we're just having a discussion about genetics and if they matter at all (they don't).

when I say absolutely, I'm talking about the "if" factor, and the quality should matter to everyone but that doesn't come down to the actor's genes.

>I never want them to change something for an arbitrary reason. If a bunch of people were considered, and a really good portrayal by a [insert genes here] actor was dropped for a sub-par white one, *that* in itself is arbitrary.
Not really, that's part of the character. It was okay with Red since EVERYONE gets treated like shit in Shawshank.

Besides, casting should try it's best to make actors resemble the characters they're portraying. It wasn't too bad in Shawshank because it was a simple book, but Iron Fist has been a character for nearly 50 years.

>The same exact story could be told by anyone of any appearance.
No, no it couldn't. As I said, Iron Fist being a white bread WASP is part of the point and theme of the story. It's actually a plot point.

It'd be like casting an asian in 12 years a slave. Some roles require it.

I haven't commented yet user - and I see where you are coming from - but race absolutely matters when it comes to characterisation and casting. Not always - but I'm willing to state that most of the time it does.

Take a look at Shaft and Dirty Harry... those aren't just generic differences at work to differentiate the two - they are totally stories about culture, race and identity. If you switched Eastwood for Rowntree they would have completely different impacts.

That's just my opinion anyhow.

I get what you mean, saying the genes doesn't effect the performance, but it effects the story and viewers. We aren't dealing with an actor who is face painted through the entire movie, this is an actor who you have to see his face. This does effect the show, the entire casting process isn't based on skill. OH NO IT NEVER IS. it's based on looks and the people you know. It's the sad truth, and the truth is How much can that face sell. That's what Hollywood is about, it takes races in but they have to be attractive to sell enough to be put on screen.

Meh, I'm just disappointed that Shang-Chi's probably not happening any more.

Was the whole Fu Manchu Yellow Peril thing too difficult to work around?

Apparently Shang Chi is still going to be in the Iron Fist show.

Fat people knowing martial arts stuff automatically turns it from a regular cool interest into a lame nerd one.

Sucks for you but thats how it is.

You'd have a case if Sammo Hung didn't exist.

everyone could be treated like shit, that's the point.

Nobody said stop portraying the first, but it doesn't decrease the quality if any actor plays him really well

And for your last point, anyone could be treated the same way. Casting an asian in a "12 years a slave" story would be interesting if it was portrayed well. When 12 years a slave bored the crap out of me, that had nothing to do with the actor's genes.

If we're talking about actual events, then you might need a literal translation but that can be helped with makeup, etc. Other than that, with fiction especially, any story can star any actor. The situation can still be done exactly the same. The genes won't change that. It's still a human playing the iron fist, as long as he does it well, that's all that matters.

I just don't think the genes of the actor matter.

Anyone can have any characteristics/behavior, it doesn't come down to their genes. If I lived in China my whole life, but I was born with "white" genes, does that mean I'll be different from all the other Chinese people? Isn't that the story of Iron Fist? There's no difference no matter who plays him. You can have the same story, and the same characteristics/behavior.

read above, anyone can live anywhere and adopt any characteristics, literally.

>It's the sad truth, and the truth is How much can that face sell. That's what Hollywood is about

That's what marketing is about, the fear that a certain appearance will alienate people from watching a good movie is not true. Morgan freeman is not white, and has a butt-ugly face these days, but his "face" will sell, because of his reputation as an actor. There may have been another time in the distant past where he wouldn't have been given a chance, and we would've lost out on a great performance for no reason, but that time is gone now. Put the performance first. People will get used to the face, the face is just a face.

>And for your last point, anyone could be treated the same way. Casting an asian in a "12 years a slave" story would be interesting if it was portrayed well. When 12 years a slave bored the crap out of me, that had nothing to do with the actor's genes.

I didn't like it either, but if you're casting a role where race is important then the actor should be picked with that in mind.

It's like saying Power Man could just be spme poor intercity redneck. Race is an important theme in the story.

>If I lived in China my whole life, but I was born with "white" genes, does that mean I'll be different from all the other Chinese people?
Yes. You'll be a good foot taller, look radically different and probably get treated as an outsider.