What went wrong?

What went wrong?

HARD MODE: Don't mention the casting.

>What went wrong?

The audience. People fear what they don't understand.

NETFLIX,

Source material. Death Note is for 14 year old boys, I imagine this movie is GOAT if you're a 14 year old boy.

Light went full retarded twice. When he used the book to get laid and when he straight up told L that he was Kira.

They got the characters wrong. Light is supposed to be ultra smart/ultra clever, his motivation is to create, in his opinion, a better world. L is supposed to be the same. The difference between them is one is ok with killing, the other isnt.

In this movie, Light does what he does to keep mia, hes not very smart, and hes extremely unlikeable. L chimps out by the end of the movie, and his character is completely ruined from there on out. He grabs a gun, steals a police car, and assaults a bunch of people in order to catch light.

This movie didnt understand the characters and what made the series so good. They got the basic premise right, and failed at everything else.

>L appearing in public

Light's casting,character, and lean into teen romance.
I hope they recast him in the sequel.

I've never read or watched the original, and I enjoyed the premise a lot.

Making light a fucking pussy

This.

CASTING A NIGGER, OOPS, I LOST!!!

Light was unlikable
L didn't have a set of morals he stuck to
Chief Yagami sperging out on L

Das it. Misa being a psychopath and Ryuk not taking sides is great

>Light becomes a pussy whipped loser who dindu nuffin

They didn't set up either character to be capable of gambits. Just because Light can do calculus homework, he was able to play 4D chess at the end like that? Give me a fucking break. I'm also equally doubtful that L was able to track light down from that bit of information that he had about the murders, especially since they wren't all heart attacks.

In the anime/mango, we knew light was a 4D Monopoly Hard Mode cold motherfucker when he was willing to set his family and home ablaze to conceal the death note and all the precautions he took. Same with L subbing in the death row inmate for the press conference. Neither in the movie was set up as gambit masters beyond doing homework for people/having a background of solving murders.

The appeal of Death Note was the long game Light was playing against literally everyone.

This Death Note is Final Destination with a teen romance.

Hey kids do you like Chimpokeemon

Characters and story were clearly meant to be their own thing but got shackled to the source material for stupid reasons.

Unironically nothing.

Was anybody else expecting the teacher to walk in the classroom and find the whole place trashed when Light had detention? It bothered me throughout the rest of the movie that it never got adressed.

fucking everything

Litterally nothing. This is one of the best so bad its good/guilty pleasure movies I've ever seen.

Yeah. Was wondering how the fuck he got away with hat. Fucking white people.

should've been a spinoff in the same universe. mild prequel / side story.

>keep it americanized
>Keep Ryuk or have another Shinigami with Ryuk making appearances occasionally
>LaKeith isn't "L" but another alphabet graduate protege of sorts from Wammy's house. (ie., We've already got L, M, and N, so maybe he could be K or Q, or Z, etc.)
>Ray Penber shows up to assist K/Q/Z/etc. and hints at a similar case in Japan (obvious nod to the original series). Maybe L makes a quick cameo for sake of fanservice
>Complete original story that lightly nods at the Japan events but isn't confined to white/blackwashing bullshit

It was a decent cast and a solid Americanized take on Death Note....but since it has CLEARLY been established that there are 1) multiple death notes, 2) multiple shinigami, and 3) multiple prodigies from Wammy's House it just makes NO sense why they went half way instead of fully committing to an original story.

I hate you. You knew this would suck and you still could have watched a fantastic anime instead. You are normie trash and I hope you die.

this

calling it "Death Note" was a mistake

if i never saw the anime i'd say not much. it was actually pretty good I would have brought up light's dad being incompetent except he did figure it out at the end
because i saw the anime L wasn't likebale and this felt more like a young adult book made into a movie. Light was almost the complete opposite of anime light except that he was slightly clever.

did they ever explain who the people were that gunned down watari?

Pacing was shit
Plot holes up the ass
Characters do stupid shit for no reason

The whitewashing. Why is Hollywood so racist against asians but loves blacks so much?

If they wanted to make Light a girl they should have just done that from the beginning instead of making him Misa

Light Yagami was infinitely more clever/cunning/interesting than Light Turner.

I cringed every time there was a scene between Light and Mia.
Pic related, this is all I could think of during those scenes.

Its not like the race matters much, I'm not saying you can cast any race as any character, just the lighter ones as the lighter ones and the darker ones as the darker ones

The biggest flaw for me storywise was having Light kill the bully first instead of the guy who killed his Mom.

Yea, the bully was a Chad prick, but did it really warrant his getting fucking murdered? I feel like this set up Light's character as a fucking sociopath.

If they started with the mom's killer, at least that would have been quasi-justified, followed by people who he knew were criminals and then it could have built up with him getting more and more morally questionable.

Threw the whole film off for me at that point.

>Light Yagami was infinitely more clever/cunning/interesting than Light Turner.

All they had to do was establish his intellect in a "cat and mouse" game. They did nothing outside of him doing calc homework.

>>If they started with the mom's killer, at least t
also the fact that ryuk had to force him so you could keep the characters' morality grey.

The guy was right outside so he was able to see it in person, I think most people would do that so they could verify it actually worked.

Not only that, his whole motivation with using the deathnote stemmed from his relationship with Mia. In the anime he had a god-complex, and his motivation was ideologically driven. Misa was just a pawn, a tool for him to use.

But setting up Light's character as a kid who would potentially MURDER a kid for being a bully sets him up as a bit of an unstable kid.

They could have just had Ryuk tell him to put the Mom's killer in the book and then have him read about it the next day or even have him make sure he was present during the death.

Light's morality didn't evolve because he was setup to be a fucking sociopath.

it needed to be a series rather than jamming everything into a movie

Is that an official promotional image? It's so bad

Light bringing the Death Note to Gym Class after confirming its authenticity.

Watari not having a last name but also not using an alias. By this logic, Light should have been able to kill L by just writing L in the notebook.

They either made an adaptation and changed too much or made their own film using the same basic premise and changed too little.

Why the fuck did they gave nigga l a cyberpunk gun?

It's so the smartest man in the world has a way to solve a problem thats just too hard.

thanks

>not staying true to the source material
>trying to cram everything into a 80 minute movie

Literally every character except Watari is different from the manga/anime.

>lets make the good character black and the bad character white

I wonder who's behind this...

They only thing they got "right" is there's a teenager named Kira who has magic book that kills people, L is trying to catch him, and my wife's son (black) isn't interested in cartoons

>thinking L is straight good
alt-right... not even once

No potato chips.

This kind of falls flat because even though L did nothing wrong he's still the antagonist. Most people will automatically perceive him as the bad guy just because he gets in Light's way. It's been so ingrained into movie language to have the main character/protagonist as the perfect and flawless hero of pure morals and justice and equality, and that the antagonist is
>literally
A baby-raping terrorist spawn of Satan that no matter who was actually right or wrong, the protagonist = good and the antagonist = bad.

>fantastic
>anime
Pick one

The pacing

It was written by people who didn't watch the anime.

Mini series would have been better. movies pacing was all off besides the other problems

i think they should have keep the basic idea of a death note but maybe had a different take on it instead of trying to follow the Japanese original.
like the Japanese witchblade anime
just had different people using like 100 bullets style
maybe a story a epsiode

>L is the good guy

anime is a shitty medium that doesnt require good writing. has there ever been a good live action adaption of any anime? i really doubt it

everything
even the casting

Light murdered a kid from his school who was also known to bully Light. They didn't even try to get the character right.

what plot holes? Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean there are plot holes.

NIGGERS