>literally mentally ill >given millions to make his "art" >"best show of all time" >kek

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-deception
virtualmemorylibrary.wordpress.com/2017/08/21/twin-peaks-symbolen-van-de-tv-wereld/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>literally mentally ill
>parents pay him to live in the basement and shitpost all day
>still has shit taste
>kek

What do you expect from a tv show director

lol

/thread

this is bait

>everybody expects a sequel for a popular tv show that mixed typical soap opera elements with random shit
>give them a full inland empire kind of bullshit

gotta admit he has balls

>no set design, feels empty and lifeless
>no interesting ideas for storylines and generally bad writing
>relies on gimmicks only instead
>those are unoriginal or just bad, unfortunately ("fuck you, albert", glove, andy and lucy, coordinates, riddles, ...)
>bad acting (Bell, Lynch, Horse, Robertson, Dern, ...)
>dull characters (one-dimensional at best)
>storylines and characters are introduced for no purpose
>everything is supposed to weirdly connect and make sense
>shot in digital in a way that doesn't compensate for the technology's disadvantages (looks bad)
>roadhouse scenes (out of place, badly shot, the songs, the bands, the extras, ...)
>student-tier storytelling/editing (characters are shown walking up complete sets of stairs)
>stretched out needlessly, long takes have no particular effect
>everything above is literally cringe-tier in concept and implementation
>obviously delusional and/or inexperienced fanbase perceiving it as particularly meaningful, complex or "deep"
>can't compare to the original series that doesn't have those problems (coherent/complex and beautiful sets, costumes and make-up/well shot/well acted/well written/magnificent multi-dimensional characters and character relations, music, storylines and gimmicks/creates a unique athmosphere as a result, changing the world of television forever whereas "the return" neither manages to do something established really good nor to invent something new)
>somehow the best thing in tv history

only casual cancer trendhopping tourist artkillers didn't expect that second part. i love their tears.

His films and the original series are good. The new series is unquestionably shit part in due to his old age.

I can't stand this fucking hack

Nice bait

What's with the stairs?

Sup Forums cannot detect good acting or kino anything they like is shit of course twin peaks is

only guests from /r/twinpeaks defend this show here.

>ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSE
>IT WAS ALL JUST A DREAM

LYNCHED

but then where is that user you're replying to from?

Believe it or not, there are better messageboards for discussing film on the internet. I am from one of those messageboards.

t. that user

just say reddit roleplayer

What I'm all of the above but still love Lynch?

Reddit is complete and utter shit. Actually not LARPing.

there's no backpedaling from kino usage memer, you're too dumb and new to not even know this already

Frosting take me down
Lynching take me down with you

For the last time
For the last time
For the last time
For the last time

You're in front of your TV set
I'm standing in the director's seat
Still thinking that I hear your voice
Can you hear me?
Can you hear me?
Can you hear me?
Can you hear me?

For the last time
For the last time
For the last time
For the last time

At night I'm driving in your car
Pretending that we'll leave this town
We're watching all the street lights fade
And now you're just a stranger's dream
I took your picture from the frame
And now you're nothing like you seem
Your shadow fell like last night's rain

Sorry, what is "kino usage memer"? Or is it "kino usage", "memer? Please explain.

ask reddit if you find yourself dumbfounded memer

wtf

You should apologize to this poster

Wow you're one of those 'Breaking Bad is art' and 'Game of Thrones is good' fags. You give off an almost cute impression whenever you try to sum up your opinion.

I'm none of those. Why do you think that? Why don't you address my points? Also, thanks?

>he doesnt care about (you)
>he'll never even know (you) exist

in what way is David lynch mentally ill?

I used kino not that user you autistic meme hating fagboi

why should we believe you aren't samefagging buddy?

why not?

coz youre a mope

no

k

what a faggot

no u mope

nah.

you fucking normies are so fucking LYNCHED

>ctrl + F
>LYNCHED
>only 2 results
Step your fucking game up, everyone

L Y N C H E D

>no set design, feels empty and lifeless
Lynch creates many of the odd furniture in his workshop. Are you fucking kidding??

>no interesting ideas for storylines and generally bad writing
define interesting, you overchallanged normie-fag

>relies on gimmicks
normie-faggot confirmed

>those are unoriginal or just bad, unfortunately ("fuck you, albert", glove, andy and lucy, coordinates, riddles, ...)
misunderstanding caricature-esque characters for gimmicks, bc too stupid to get the joke

>dull
same

>introduced for no purpose
blind to the fact that most plotlines merge together in the end

>everything is supposed to weirdly connect and make sense
first denying that happens, than admitting it happens and thinking it's shit ... lmao

>shot in digital in a way that doesn't compensate for the technology's disadvantages (looks bad)
all muh nice 35mm feels! digital is bad boo hoo!

>roadhouse scenes (out of place, badly shot, the songs, the bands, the extras, ...)
not a single arguments holds true here / matter of musical taste duh-to-the-fucking-duhuh!

>student-tier storytelling/editing (characters are shown walking up complete sets of stairs)
something tells me you have no idea about student film aesthetic, yet use it as an insult

>stretched out needlessly, long takes have no particular effect
"I dislike the style and slow pace, so it must be bad"

>can't compare to the original series that doesn't have those problems
expecting a seemless, identical way of building the series based on the >25 year old original and disregarding the change in media, storytelling, pace, expectations... lmao!

>particularly meaningful ...
"I don't like surreal stuff and things that leave ideas open to MY imagination! I want CLEAR ANSWERS! This series is shit, bc NO CLEAR ANSWERS!"
Rather, your imagination sucks big time.

>compare to original
lmao rofl

>somehow the best thing in tv history
somehow, you don't get to decide and therefore act butthurt

autism

I like surreal stuff. But I also know surreal film besides David Lynch. I also know films that did a lot of the things David Lynch did in "The Return" more than 25 years ago. I consider your other points addressed with the link above.

nice job addressing those points, especially the last one. lynched-fags don't want to accept the obvious, no use keeping trying to help

All your arguments can be narrowed down to the fact that you don't particularly like this kind of approach. That is personal taste. You can watch you GoT, Breaking Bad, Desperate Housewives and be happy. No need to roam in more challanging storylines that make your poor brain hurt.

This is all correct but I find it strangely charming, and one of the most memorable seasons of anything I've seen

You're just wrong. Why would you need to tell me to watch those shows? I think I made it pretty clear that I don't like any of those.

Again, I'm only trying to help. I wish it was only personal taste. Read again. Watch again. Just trying to counter the massive self delusion that is going on. I don't have any problem with Inland Empire or even More things that happened or any of Lynch's previous works, by the way.

>liking s3
>supporting anti-s3ists
doesn't compute

He's right about everything, it was an incoherent mess with shitty CGI but it was also one of the best things I've seen in years.

>dude magic lmao

How can anyone watch any show that does this ? What's the point of having a plot if half of the key events are explained by magical thinking ? Would the breaking bad finale be anything other than shit if Walt just used magic to go back in time and kill x character and do other magical stuff to solve his problems ?

LOL

how can he be right about everyhting-that's taste..

Open yourself up bro, there's a lot in life that doesn't have a 3 act structure or pay off or resolution or make sense. The real question is why are normal shows formulaic and bland, I can't even watch tv anymore cause its the same shit.

Your self-deception argument can be applied to everything in the world. You can argue that anything you like is a way of tricking yourself or reading "too much" into something. Liking Hans Christian Andersons fairy tales can be self deception and countered with "it is all bullshit for the sake of telling a story".

On a very generalized level, there is way to much numerology in TP reaching especially from FWWM into S3. The electricity posts, the coordinates, the machine that spits out good Cooper, the hints from the Giant ... way too much numerology. But then again, most of it is resolved by the finale.

You are simply left with a very very open ending that will haunt you for several days or weeks, subconsciously or consciously. Some people, maybe you included, don't like to be left with unanswered events, same as most people are scared of the silhouette of a figure in the dark and not knowing who it is before he/she disappears. That is human nature. At the same time, that's the thrill of it.

You can't claim all the questions raised by the mystery by saying, it's all bullshit, because it falls back on you. YOU are too lazy to make up your own mind.

There are truly pretentious films like "The science of sleep".

Taste is objective, bro. Get over it. Some better, some worse.

the bb finale is already shit

But most people appreciate it, right? Or is it just his fans? I don't follow tv shows

Look. That's very easy to counter. You could argue it fits your taste what most other humans perceive as unpleasant. You can argue for any kind of bad art by saying it doesn't conform to dogma.

I wouldn't go so far as to saying taste is objective. Some of my points are even exagerrated like the digital camera one. I don't like it but there is nothing objectively wrong with it. I just think it would look much better shot on specific kinds of film or even if more work went into the digital. I didn't even mention anything I didn't like very much. The logos and fonts could've been smoother for example. But there is definetely some substance lacking and I want to encourage people to not eat it up without looking again.

everything not anything. sorry

BB ending is good, and has a magical aspect to it

Laughing at something isnt an argument

Fact: if literally any other director pulled that shit Sup Forums would be clowning that director nonstop. Everybody would. But because it's BASED LYNCH xD U GOT LYNCH'D LMAO XD he gets a pass. Yawn. Lynch and all his sycophant ball washers are pretentious faggots.

is calling someone a faggot?

no you idiot, he made his argument in the post

The entire approach to the series was changed.
What you are getting at is criticizing details of his working method.

In that, you sound very much like the old fans of NiN, attacking Reznor for having recovered, being in a relationship and therefore not feeling as miserable (as they still do and) as he was during Fragile tour and all that.

Artists change overtime and expecting them to keep a certain level of quality, keeping their style exactly the way they had several years ago, negates the fact that people and artists alike change and have their work evolve.

The entire red room in S3 feels very different from the scenes in S1, S2 and FWWM. There are subtle and obvious changes in how it was presented and of course that doesn't line up with how it was presented before. These are things you need to take into account.

Personal taste is a key element in evaluating if something rings with you. You react to symbolism that reminds you of something of your own past, so if you are left with hardly any connection with what happens in a series (pain, sorrow, deceit, love) the way it is presented in particular, you have very little emotional connection to it. Also, if something is presented in a pretentious way (like the movie "The science of sleep"), it kills the mood.

You can rightfully laugh at people from the flat earth movement for claiming complete, utter bullshit. Same goes for the things I love at from this guy

>Same goes for the things I love at from this guy
freudian or not, i meant "laugh at"

Depends how magic is used. One hundred years of solitude did it well

One of those sight and sound fags actually. Get reckdd noob

This. Lynch is and always will be a mentally hack who makes non-sense that people overanalyze. It's like modern '''art''' which is why so many sub-human leftists enjoy his films. You won't ever see a hard working conservative enjoying this garbage ever. They call it for this: non-sense leftist garbage full of confusion just like their retarded worldview and lives.

>inb4 lynched xD xD

I agree.
There were a ton of flaws (objective flaws; wtf was the point of "Red"? the Audrey stuff wasn't good or interesting or coherent)
but I still had a great time overall.
It's so interesting and original and unique at certain times, that I don't care about how flawed it was at times.

They mention Annie only once in passing. It's inexplicable and an inexcusable oversight (and I don't even like the character that much).
Then Coop spends the last two episodes romanticizing Diane, when it should have been Audrey or Annie or someone who mattered more.

It doesn't matter because Ep 17 was incredibly unique and interesting otherwise.

what it is*

I'm not comparing the original series to "The Return", I'm pointing out what's wrong with S3 by saying what S1 excelled in. I would have liked a completely new direction. I.e. not a coffe and pie-fag. Also, I don't want sound like I need a well developed plot or gimmicks or something. A good film can do without any of that. But Lynch used and still uses plot and plot gimmicks, always longed for and was about great ideas. Delivered for years. I just don't think there are a lot of good ideas in S3. Even if I liked the manlet stabbing people to bland old-school hip-hop beats, if the film or series doesn't deliver continuously or I cringe often throughout I won't say I like it. If there's something I really like followed multiple things I also like very much, that blows my mind. Some of Lynch's previous works actually delivered on that.

Sorry, this was not a very good post. I'll try to do better next time.

See, you admit it yourself. It boils down to mere preferences and "liking something". You seem to enjoy the violence with the odd HipHop jingle in conjunction. That was a gimmick just as anything else.

I for my part enjoyed the weird effects that obviously presented a clear statement against fancy, digital effects that cost millions of dollars, yet look like some smooth, blueish, unnatural CGI fest afterall (Avatar and all that shit that tries so freaking hard). I especially enjoyed the weird waves in the sea of the White Lodge and all the other effects (timeline jogging wheel of digital work stations) and I don't know if you are familiar with the work of Guy Maddin, but a lot of the scenes from the first episodes, in particular Dale talking to Naido, reminded me of "Cowards bend their knees" (Guy Maddin), who aims to recreate old film studio effects.

You basically confirm my point that some things ring with you and some things don't. It just so happens that you dislike S3, because very few things actually reached you on an emotional level. Other people have a different experience. That's the whole point of art.

I had my fair share of moments,l which seemed clichéd or weak. I don't particularly like the "We are like the dreamer" phrase, the Monica Belucci joke, the sick girl in the car accident, the weird scene with Rays old relative that he robs with the disabled adult ... but overall, there were a lot of moments that I enjoyed and that still can change overtime as you look back and remember.

What the fuck. Where do you draw the line between things you don't like and things that are bad? My aim was to present arguments not only for why I dislike S3 but also for why you should dislike it, too.

I personally like things that are good and dislike things that are bad and encourage you to do the same.

I haven't read a single argument that I agree with why I should dislike it.

Movies like "The science of sleep" obviously try to reach a level of surrealism, but fail because there is no substance in this game of pretence.

The symbolism in Lynchs work stems from associative thought processes and is based on other art as well as genuinely original ideas. Some guy here pointed out a lot of connections to paintings from René Magritte.

Let me compare that to the difference between a real plant and a plastic plant:
The real one has a smell, it changes the air around it, it is soft and moist to the touch, it lives and changes over time. The plastic plant may look exactly the same on the outside, but it does nothing of the above other than it collects dust. It is shallow.

"The science of sleep" (a film I love to hate for its complete pretentiousness in that respect) is that shallow plastic plant. And, funny enough, there are people who love that kind of plastic.

good summary, troll

we have a literal brainlet here lads. the poster you're replying to is probably familiar with the concepts you tried to explain. if you don't understand the concept of bad acting or bad writing even though you know what pretentiousness is you can't be helped because being pretentious and being a caricature of ones old self is exactly what it boils down to you literal retard faggot

I messed up that post of mine. Should have been this:

good summary, troll

and here's the Magritte stuff to that post

virtualmemorylibrary.wordpress.com/2017/08/21/twin-peaks-symbolen-van-de-tv-wereld/

Don't think I addressed any of the Magritte inspired production design or symbolism. Make of that what you will.

Bit rude but yeah.

How is Lynch a caricature of his old self, while he actively reacted to new media at the fucking age of 70, you dipshit? I'd like to see you still being innovative at that age. In his position, he could have just gone downhill like Orson Welles.

This guy is just a bloody troll

Do you have a letterboxd or something? Or can you list some directors you are already familiar with? Would make this a bit easier, probably.

One of the dullest franchises in the history of TV franchises. Seriously, each episode following the boy FBI agent and his pals from Twin Peaks Sheriff Department as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Lynch vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing an episode; he made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for his meditation. The Twin Peaks series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least FWWM was good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the script was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a fire walk with me, the author wrote instead that the character "had the fury of his own momentum".

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Lynch's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Twin Peaks by the same Chris Carter. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are watching Twin Peaks at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to watch X-Files." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you watch "Twin Peaks" you are, in fact, trained to watch X-Files.

I don't have letterboxd

Lars von Trier, Gaspar Noe, Guy Maddin, Chris Cunningham, Dario Argento, Andrej Tarkovsky, John Waters, Jörg Buttgereit, ... to name some

awful copypasta

fpbp lynched

>no image
All your effort is for naught.

So who wants to tell them

LYNCHED

Rekt. How will user ever recover?

I don't know. Try to get more familiar with the medium of film. Maybe the points I made will make more sense to you. On the other hand, you will be able to defend your own point better. Considering what you just posted I have to assume you massively misjudge the works of David Lynch in the broader context of film and surrealism in film.

>you massively misjudge the works of David Lynch in the broader context of film and surrealism in film

why don't you enlighten me on what you mean by that?

I don't insist on Lynch being a landmark surrealist filmmaker. He has a lot of flaws and, like many others, "steals from the greatest" without giving proper credit (which I hate).

I'm not particularly well informed on surrealist film traditions, but I know some of the works by Bunuél and I have yet to look into Ingmar Bergmans work.

And I'm certainly not a film expert either. Not trying to be either. I'm focusing more on the art, narrative and visual aspect in a film rather than the writing and "correct" dramaturgical basis.

You seem to have gotten that very right. By being familiar with some directors that are comparable in a sense and the medium in general you get less impressionable and it's less likely to mistake things for what they're not, especially when they're trying to be. Like bad acting. Or bad narrative. Or bad ideas. That's a tough one. Aesthetics in general. Do you have a photo showing how you dress? Haircut? You can photoshop your face out.

>Do you have a photo showing how you dress? Haircut? You can photoshop your face out.
lol you bloody troll, no i won't upload a photo! what kind of a shallow idiot are you? do you want to judge someone by their looks? I'm not the NY Hipster fag if you expect that!

I agree in general with your point that the more films you've seen, the less you are impressed by empty symbolism, shock moments, poorly written twists in the plot and deus ex machina.
I'm an avid cinema fan, but I don't get as deep as watching each and every film by Polanski or something like that. I don't want to excell as a film expert, I watch them for inspiration, to sink into a particular world and maybe get something out of it. Not because I want to write some twenty reviews for a student magazine or anything like that.

I watch all kinds of films, except for Blockbuster shit and I would say without hesitation that I can tell bad acting apart from intentionally awkward acting, as it is employed by Lynch in some cases.

What is your approach to film anyhow?
What is a "bad idea" to you and why?

I enjoyed the trashy effects (Diane Tulpa disintegrating etc.) for what they are, because I have made digital video with effects myself in the past and I am well familiar with video editing.

what would you call a particularly bad idea in this season ( except the wigs) ?

hey easy on the wigs!