It is just the latest in a slew of gender-flipped reboots we’ve been promised...

>It is just the latest in a slew of gender-flipped reboots we’ve been promised. The glossy Ocean’s Eleven heist brand is adding Ocean’s Eight, with an all-female cast. The line-up is as heavyweight as the Rat Pack original (which starred Frank Sinatra), and the 2001 version (with George Clooney and Brad Pitt): this spin-off has Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett leading a gang that includes Rihanna, Mindy Kaling and Anne Hathaway. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, the 1988 comedy with Steve Martin and Michael Caine, is being remade with Rebel Wilson in one of the roles. Disney is rebooting the 1991 action film The Rocketeer, based on a retro comic book series, with a woman in the stunt-pilot main role. A new Splash is planned, this time with a merman (Channing Tatum) taking on Daryl Hannah’s character in the 1984 original, who falls in love with a landlubbing human (Jillian Bell in Tom Hanks’s role). And the most high-profile example so far was last year’s Ghostbusters remake, in which an all-woman cast – Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon – took on the male roles from the 1984 original.

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/film/2017/sep/02/lord-of-the-flies-oceans-eight-hollywood-reboots-flipping-gender?CMP=fb_gu
youtube.com/watch?v=HL1UzIK-flA&ab_channel=RihannaVEVO
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>The thing is, female-led films are profitable. “What we’ve shown in our research is that they have generated more money at the box office,” says Madeline di Nonno, chief executive of the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media. In 2015 female-led films made 15.8% more on average than male-led films. In 2016 the figure was smaller – 7.3% more – but it still showed that female-centric films are bankable. “Films that are led by females, can they generate box office? Yes. Do they generate more revenue at the box office? Yes, they do. On top of it, [the question about] where does the source material come from – should it be original or can it be a remake? – is very subjective.”

Wtf I love america now

>Sandra Bullock
Old and busted

>Storytellers matter, and therein lies another problem. “When women write less than 15% of the top 100 films each year, and when they direct fewer than 5%, they’re not being given the opportunity to help shape those narratives,” says Smith. “They’re often being written from a white male perspective and an audience can sense a lack of authenticity.”

>Disney is rebooting the 1991 action film The Rocketeer, based on a retro comic book series, with a woman in the stunt-pilot main role.
What the actual fuck? Please don't be real.

>muh liberals ammirite xD
>muh red pills xD

fuck off Sup Forums we know what you're trying to do. gender in movies literally doesn't matter cry about your white genocide horse shit on your containment zone/safe space. also fuck yourself and die.

>And done well, for the right reasons, there’s no reason why swapping chromosomes for a remake can’t work. One of Smith’s “dream projects”, she says, is to remake the 1993 Kevin Kline film Dave – about a man who looks identical to the president and ends up impersonating him as part of a plot – with a female protagonist. “That’s something I want to see, because I want to see a comedy about a female president that is also inspiring and poignant.”

> gender in movies literally doesn't matter
Then why change it to begin with?

Stop sperging out in every single thread you subhuman reddit abomination

representation. why doesit matter so much to Sup Forums? in what way does it negatively effect the movie

>Another idea – and this is bound to send the ghostbros into a rage – is to have a female teen treasure hunt based on the beloved film The Goonies. She has already published the story as Misfit City, a series of comics set in a town made famous as the location for an 1980s kids’ adventure movie. An all-female reboot is only a gimmick, she says, “if it doesn’t give you that ‘aha’ feeling. A heist movie with all female characters makes me really excited. Some of the others feel a little more cynical to me: but if it gives you that feeling of ‘I’ve never seen a woman in that role before’, then I think: why not?”

Sauce: theguardian.com/film/2017/sep/02/lord-of-the-flies-oceans-eight-hollywood-reboots-flipping-gender?CMP=fb_gu

It matters because there is a systematic organized political agenda behind it. It doesn't just happen fuck off

>systematic organized political agenda

and what exactly is the goal of this political agenda and why is it so harmful to you or anyone to have women appear in more movies. why does it get Sup Forums so butthurt that women exist.

I find solace in knowing that these will all bomb.

Can't wait until I'm told it's my fault these horrible ideas failed

wonder womans massive box office success says otherwise. not that its a gender bent reboot, but its obvious the tastes of moviegoers is now decidedly female centric.

Why are you OK with huge Hollywood studios using their power and resources to shove things down people's throats?

Yeah but Wonder Woman isn't a gender bent reboot/sequel/spin off.
There's nothing wrong with movies with female leads. It's the complete and total lack of originality and Hollywood too scared to write or invent new shit that stars both women and even men in lead roles.

how is it being shoved down your throat, its just a different casting choice you're obviously blowing this out of proportion.

The problem isn't that a woman exists in a movie. The problem is the fact that it's being treated like a large improvement that needs to be marketed and that people who dislike the remakes only do so because there's a large female presence.

>not that its a gender bent reboot
That's the trick here.
>the tastes of moviegoers is now decidedly female centric.
Or maybe men and women can lead in movies that are made well and that it's not the sex of the characters that's important but how the movie is written, directed, etc. It helps that Wonder Woman's reviews were basically a cry of relief that DC finally made a decent film.

>“That’s something I want to see, because I want to see a comedy about a female president that is also inspiring and poignant.”
Then write one.

Can't wait to play "Who's the Most Charismatic?" when Ocean's Eight comes out
We're bound to be in for a sassy, quippy treat!

She has turned into an attractive cougar. So, is Sarah Paulson.

>Sandra Bullock
sure
>Cate Blanchett
alright
>Rihanna
makes sense
>Mindy Kaling
what.

oh. when they said "the line-up is heavyweight" they meant literally.

Gross and old looking. Please don't post her ever again.

can rihanna even act what right does she have to be placed next to those women?

Tfw no transwomen

at least the casting budget will be cheap.

>The line-up is as heavyweight as the Rat Pack original (which starred Frank Sinatra), and the 2001 version
They're joking right? Rihanna and Anne Hathaway would be the biggest names in that list. Sandra Bullock has been in some good flicks but she never was even A+ List.

70% cheaper

I don't think the people who watch this kind of flick care about the acting.

>Then write one.
I could totally see a feminist turning Hillary into some heroic figure. Except wikileaks sort of destroyed all of that

Do people still know who Rihanna is? Has she done anything since the umbrella song?

>representation
but why does that matter?

why does that look like a train of realdolls
is it just sandra bullocks weird monster face?

Ha ha fuck you

>latest announcement is an all female lord of the flies adaptation
>producer is named Siegel
Umm..

10/10 body but that face is scary.

Well, there's this. youtube.com/watch?v=HL1UzIK-flA&ab_channel=RihannaVEVO

DA JOOOOOOS!!

representation matters to the people being represented, which is all that matters. there is zero (0) reason for it to matter to anyone else. if you can't celebrate it, ignore it, or fuck off.

but why can't they ignore it as well?

If you have a vagina or follow music you definitely know who Rihanna is. She was a very pretty Black chick until Chris Brown ruined her face.

I just think it's hilarious that they're trying to compare those broads to Sinatra who will be an iconic figure for generations to come.

That image triggers me, we learned from the Sony leaks that Sony pushed Ivan Reitman out of Ghostbusters and his Producer credit was in name early. Also it oddly lacks the real enemy (((Pascal))). And Ramis was dead of course.

First it was that humble video now this degenerate crap. Stop showing me garbage like this, Sup Forums. I don't want to know it exists. I'm done with these threads. Goodbye!

Jews jewing Jews

is it just me or is this song bad and the music video trashy?

What tf you're saying? She's the new Frank Sinatra

if women are so oppressed and NEED representation in film, why do reboots of financially and critically successful movies that were written, directed, and led by men? if these female writers and directors are actually skilled and can make money like the author says they can, then surely their ideas would be taken seriously by Hollywood execs? have these people ever stopped to consider that the female directors and actors and writers they promote just have shit skills? Kathryn Bigelow is a talented female director, and most of the cast from the 2016 Ghostbusters remake are funny on their, when given good scripts. Amy Poehler is OK in certain niches, Tina Fey is hilarious. Julia Louis-Dreyfus is always funny and is able to be dramatic as well. All of the actresses in The Sopranos were able to portray a wide range and were excellent. why not focus on these people and instead focus on people who make shit movies and shows?

Song might've been okay if it wasn't Rihanna slurring her way through. Video was hella trashy, though.

I have two thoughts about this
>Leave classics alone
>If the movie is good, then I don't care.

Still got it and still got those man hands too.

I wouldn't mind those man hands on my face

>women working together

hahahahahahahaha

>What we’ve shown in our research is that they have generated more money at the box office,” says Madeline di Nonno, chief executive of the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media.
Checking a couple websites is research?
Also, that's bullshit, they are completely unbankable.

>representation
This is why you get laughed at.

Next level bait, good sir.

Already hyped huh.

Sandra Bullock and Rachel from Friends are big with the female audience, the category is "[used to be] vaguely attractive but unthreatening".
This was why Brad Pitt ditching the latter for Angelina Jolie (the embodiment of attractive and extremely threatening at the time) was such a massive psychodrama for women who'd never met any of them.

>Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media.
>tfw it actually exists

How many of them would you fug?
This is a no effort fugging,you just point and say "you"
I see 6.

unless all these cunts are gonna make out with each other in lingerie i'm not overly interested

I'd give my first born just for a whiff of her cunt

jesus christ they had to get mindy fucking kaling?

why do they look like posed mannequins

the makeup artist did a bad job