Why is modern Simpsons unquotable? Why were the first 9(?) seasons so quotable?

Why is modern Simpsons unquotable? Why were the first 9(?) seasons so quotable?

What are your favorite Simpson quotes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fHMu6LnO3EY
youtube.com/watch?v=GSE-qKSkPKw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A-Aurora Borealis?
Because the classic Simpsons had clever jokes and good delivery.
New Simpsons phones it in on every level.

The thing is, I actually watched a couple new simpsons episodes lately, and they were actually pretty good.

The new Simpsons episodes are funny, but the old ones are REALLY really funny, so they pale in comparison is all.

>Who is it?
>goons
>Who?
>Hired goons
The Simpsons was good because of the people that made it, and those people are dead or gone.

>Assuming I've ever watched any of the Simpsons.
Now Futarama, that's a good show.

>Why is modern Simpsons unquotable?

Because their primary M.O right now is shallow references that are dated before the episode airs.

True they never shied away from pop culture references but at the time they where MAKING pop culture.

10/23/2016's episode was excellent, the show is just started to get energy again.

so long DENTAL PLAN

do any of the original classic era writers still work for the simpsons?

LISA NEEDS BRACES

put your trip back on boco

Depends on how you're defining "classic era."

None of the original writing team is still around (first four seasons), but some from around the 7-10ish range still are or were within the past couple years

Also apparently Brooks and Mirkin still pitch jokes etc. from time to time.

So, what was the last quotable line from the Simpsons?

Except Al Jean, obviously.

Also forgot to add that one person from the original team wrote an episode like last year, but, like every Simpsons script ever, was also altered by all the other writers and probably contained very little of what he first wrote.

Because Simpsons since something like season 12 or 13 make unfunny pretentious jokes about """celebrities""" only know by hipsters and college students and who nobody cares about.

Yea, those guys who did those first four* seasons went on to do Aaahh!!! Real Monsters.

They were also doing Rugrats around the same time.

* = First 2 episodes only, the rest of season 4 by Film Roman.

Large Marge will like to have a word with you, that episode gives some of the golden era episodes a run from their money.

I'm a hipster and in college and I don't like new Simpsons. Check and mate, townie.

That episode was liked only because boobs, not because quality.

you don't like everything mainstream anyway you pretentious homos.

people are giving emotional responses instead of answering the question.

Modern Simpsons is quotable, it's just not watched by EVERYONE so the good quotes dont become instantly shared all over the internet. It's simply a atter of it's fractured fanbase. Simpsons quotes didnt come because of how good the past episodes were, but because everyone would watch the episode and talk about it the next day

It's why modern American Dad still has moments everyone knows. The fanbase is mainly intact. Most other long runners dont have that luxury.

Sometimes some later things from later seasons sneak into the public eye, but its harder when everyone's view on the show is different and it isnt as "big" as it used to be

Dude, we have already debunked that, it was a excellent episode.

stop talking with your dick Jimmy.

Simpsons isn't mainstream any more, Dad,not with anyone under 35.

And I'm comfortable with my sexuality, I think it's a personal decision everyone can make and changing up your orgasms is an essential part of bettering yourself as a human.

In the Strong Arms of the Ma>>Large Marge

Get your season 14 tiers straight

Simpsons it's still fucking mainstream everywhere, it was made to be mainstream, a program broadcasted on FOX can't be non mainstream anyway.

> I think it's a personal decision everyone can make and changing up your orgasms is an essential part of bettering yourself as a human.
or maybe you are just a pervert who suffers from a paraphilia and transform this on a lifestyle and after that political revendications fgor something who has no reasons to exist?

I'm not.
Yes it is, otherwise it would of not be getting anymore new episodes anymore, plus millions of views.

DENTAL PLAN

>Simps isnt mainstream anymore
People really think the show is now "super obscure" because we dont like it anymore? A few years ago Family Guy was beating it but now it's back to being the most watched show on Sunday nights.

Which it honestly deserves as it's been slowly getting better while FG was slowly getting worse

I feel like I don't "get" the Simpsons. I've watched like the first 8 seasons, and it's a fine show, but I don't think it's nearly as quotable or funny as most people seem to. Stuff like Boo-urns, or comes up frequently, but jokes like that are my least favorite parts of the Simpsons.

Do people realize exactly how big the Simpsons are?
They're literally one of the 5 most profitable media franchises. They're almost Star Wars tier of mainstream forever.

Simpsons quoting on the internet is honestly the most unfunny autistic thing, so I can't blame you. It kills the good jokes and makes idiots whose idea of TOP COMEDY is repeating 20+-year-old jokes someone else came up with think even mediocre moments from le classic simpsons are hilarious.

I like Seasons 2/3 best when it was all about moral dilemmas and crying though, so I might just have shit taste. Or the best taste.

Maybe you set your expectations too high. I know when someone sells me something as the best ever I won't enjoy it as much as if I just found out about it randomly.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the former.

Simpsons was never actually quotable, you all are just nostalgiafagging over an eternally mediocre show

UNA VELA
N
A

V
E
L
A

I kind of feel the same. It's been a few years since I watched them, but the episode I really remember is the one where Bart starts to break down because he's about to get held back even though he tried his best.

A la grande le puse Cuca.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

It's not.

You have to have seen episodes to quote them. A relatively recent one that stands out for me is "Yes, it's true. I am Gloop. Being stuck in that tube changed me in so many ways."

This was because it had timing and delivery that were spot on.

But even though it's five years old, it's still less memorable because it hasn't been in reruns since the early 1990s, and also because fewer people watched the later seasons, so fewer people reinforce your memory of the quotes by repetition.

Basically, the idea that nobody watches it because it's unquotable is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

A quote that really stuck with me is Homer commenting on crowdfunding last season where he was like "If there's anything that has true wisdom, its crowds."

And now every time I see something like Sony ship off a game to be developed by the fans or everything about No Man's Sky I remember it and it cracks me up

SI TU VIEJO ES ZAPATERO
ZARPALE LA LATA

I liked this one by Krusty: "Hey, if my writers knew how to appeal to girls they wouldn’t be writers."

>mfw that was my high school senior quote
>mfw I subconsciously made that my ninja way

>to this day I am a shlub who doesn't do shit because of this quote

>ninja way is being lazy as fuck
>having a ninja way

That's sad.

I binge-watched Naruto on Netflix recently, and frankly I couldn't think of another way to describe it. My creedo, maybe? I don't know.

Modern Simpsons is very quotable.

Remember that time when that one famous person showed up?

It's often called an outlook.

Season 18 had an amazing episode
>The Mook, The Chef, The Wife and Her Homer
We get Fat Tony's son never mentioned again and how he's forced to take over the business with Homer and Bart.
>Where'd you get that?
>Fell of a Truck Truck.
>That fell off of a Truck, Truck Truck

>Goon-o-rinos

Otto getting pissed off at the bus after his tape breaks.
>Kearny, we'rent we in the third grade together?
>The teachers are out to get me

No special guests except for a quick Metallica joke.

I can't say an episodes past season 10 has me rewatching it, but that one is the best.

hmm
yea sure
I'll give a watch
thanks user

He was a zombie?

Let me guess...you are black, and watch a lot of anime

Oh shoot, I was right

Every season has a few amazing episodes, its more about knowing which they are since it isnt consistent anymore

I decided to give the episode in question a shot.

Not only was the line completely bland and unremarkable, but I just flat out gave up on the episode when grandpa's eyes literally popped out of their sockets, this not being a fucking treehouse of horror episode.

How the hell do these people write this shit?

Alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol.

This

You're broken as a person. That's okay, you can still lead fulfilling life.

I love any joke about Kearny's age which I think starts in A Milhouse Divided which also contains my all time favorite exchange.

>Kirk, crackers are a family food, happy families. Maybe single people eat crackers, we don't know. Frankly, we don't want to know. It's a market we can do without.
>So that's it after 20 years? "So long, good luck"?
>I don't recall saying "good luck".

That entire episode is so good though.

It's good that you're ready to accept that you have shit taste. Make the final leap and embrace it.

Only then can you truly change and open your heart to the glory of Classic Simpsons.

The Simpsons is too big a cultural icon to find out about randomly. You'll have to go in understanding it as the apex of possible human comedy achievement and work from there.

3/10. You're going to need to dial it way back if you want anyone to take that bait.

>Basically, the idea that nobody watches it because it's unquotable is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It really isn't. The classic era really was just that good. There's a reason that period is so highly regarded and influential. The era that came after just wasn't very good, ranging from mediocre to bad. People quote the classic era because it was quality. People aren't going to love and emulate bland garbage, even if there are one or two decent jokes now and then.

I hear the show's gotten better recently, though.

Also pop culture references were handle with a bit more care in the past to where you could still enjoy the episode even when it became dated

We have piles of episodes from the last ten years that are dated so bad they are only good for nostalgia if that.

>they were actually pretty good.
fuck off shill.

>How the hell do these people write this shit?

They get paid a shit ton of money and know the franchise will roll on pretty much forever no matter what they do because the characters have become cultural icons. The show itself doesn't really matter anymore, the money is in the merchandising and IP.

It's kind of like the actual Marvel and DC comics: their parent corporations don't give a shit about the comics themselves.

you are retarded. It had to be said.

youtube.com/watch?v=fHMu6LnO3EY

A lot of things like this are memorable as well, and all it is is a wink to itself

youtube.com/watch?v=GSE-qKSkPKw

Most recent things were "I AM SIMPSON" and the Rick and Morty parody (in particular, the 'look at the baby one' line)

It's because of a few factors the biggest being they have been playing it safer and safer with their comedy for the last 12+ years and what I mean by safer is in the terms of formulated meaning that they don't take as much risk in throwing a joke out that takes a moment to think or running with a gag that would be seen as offensive by the majority audience.

The issue with this kind of safe development is it destroy any chance for being memorable because safe in media means done before and low risk.

And both were open sketches written by guest writers

I hate this attitude of playing it safe.
We've had two Burns episode that began and ending with the same result
ALL IN A SPAN OF THREE WEEKS
>Burns has issue
>Retcon Past episodes
>Burns fixes it by going over the top trying fix the issue
>Retcon some backstories
>Burns fails miserably
>Someone calls out Mr.Burns
>Burns go back to acknowledging issue
>Burns embraces issue and it becomes non-issue

Giving someone a past isn't making them have anymore depth. Stephen Universo

Err... Maybe I'm alone here, but I like season 10

Season 10 still had a good share of well made episodes. It's only when you get to 11+ that the cracks start to really show.