The Killing Joke

It's kind of shit, isn't it? The book tries to emphasize that The Joker is a horrible person because him and Bruce have both had "one bad day", and Bruce didn't turn out to be a mass murderer/villain, but Bruce grew up a billionaire, which Alan Moore completely ignores.

Other urls found in this thread:

inverse.com/article/14967-alan-moore-now-believes-the-killing-joke-was-melodramatic-not-interesting
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bruce also wasn't physically deformed by a chemical vat. It's not like Joker can live a normal life while looking like that.

Forgot to mention that, thank you.

Gordon

Might've missed the point there sport.
>Maybe it was just you all along
Moore puts forward the idea that maybe Joker was always fucked up inside, and just needed a little push to go nuts. Normal people like Gordon don't become Jokers just because one day was shit.

I think you got it wrong OP. The point was that the world is fucked because Batman is the exception to the rule. Any normal person is one bad day from becoming the Joker. Not one bad day from becoming the Batman.

You misunderstood man. The point is that Jokers wrong. He was wrong about Gordon, and he was wrong about Batman.

I want an alt-world where Bruce Wayne is dirt-poor. While he still wants to do good and save lives, he bears resentment against the rich of Gotham that's let the lower classes in Gotham suffer.

Without his usual financial resources, he's forced to use more street smarts and work within the underworld compared to the usual Batman.

He was wrong about Gordon but right about Batman. Batman is the one he breaks in the end.

You know this post reminds me of a joke

Wasn't Thomas Wayne dirt poor when he became Batman?

the point of the Killing Joke isn't that Joker is as horrible person (although he is), it's just an exploration of his motivations, psyche, and relationship to Batman

It's a character study

Also the joke at the end implies that both Joker and Batman are crazy, but in different ways.

>can't in to character development

get real, OP. you just want to talk shit about alan moore.

No. That was not the point at all.

According the Alan Moore himself, the only thing he was trying to say with The Killing Joke was that Batman and The Joker were both crazy people with no connection to reality or normalcy. That's it.

so, Daredevil?

Christ, user did you even read the story. Batman is not the one who makes the comparrison, it's Joker. Throughout the story, the Joker desperately tries to justify himself and his existance, so it would make sense that he would compare himself to Batman as he honestly thinks that Batman is the same as him. And all the family stuff we see may have actually just been a delusion as Joker puts it himself, he's got a multiple choice past. For all we know, he could have been a well off mobster who got fell into the acid.

That's what a lot of people miss about this story. It isn't a clash between two crazy people. It is a clash between a mad man trying to substitute reality for his own dementated version and an agent of reality basically deconstructing him and his motives.

The story doesn't show Batman as being 'crazy' it actually shows him as being quite sane for the most part. He doesn't want to hurt Joker and he offers to help him. At the end, he just laughs because he realizes how utterly insane his and the Joker's situation is.

In fact, the story goes out of its way to discredit Joker. The only reason for the idiocy which we commonly see in Joker fanboys is that they miss the subtext. The Joker is essentially trying to say 'There is nothing wrong with me'. However, the fact that even after his total and utter humilation of Gordons doesn't break them totally disproves his theory but he is so pathetic that he can't even admit it. Instead, he doesn't accept any help and will keep doing what he does. Hell, his last joke basically proves that point as he states that the people who want to try and help him are as crazy as he is.

As Alan Moore put it, this story is essentially a moment of clarity for Batman and Joker. It's a moment where Joker realizes that he is alone and Batman realizes just how insane his adversary really is.

It's a superhero comic. There is no deeper meaning. What you see is what you get. It is about people punching each other in costumes. The themes are: people punching each other in costumes.

That's all there is to it. There is no "symbolism" no "hidden message". It's just a set of images which convey punches and dodges.

More like the killing bloke :^)

you're gonna need bigger bait than that my friend!

>The book tries to emphasize
No the Joker tires to emphasize. Do you really trust him?

>posting an image more interesting than anything you have to say

I want to cum on those tits

The point is Joker was wrong. Gordon didn't go nuts.

You also forget Bruce inherited all his cash.

But no its not that great.

inverse.com/article/14967-alan-moore-now-believes-the-killing-joke-was-melodramatic-not-interesting

"I’ve never really liked my story in The Killing Joke. I think it put far too much melodramatic weight upon a character that was never designed to carry it. It was too nasty, it was too physically violent. There were some good things about it, but in terms of my writing, it’s not one of me favorite pieces. If, as I said, god forbid, I was ever writing a character like Batman again, I’d probably be setting it squarely in the kind of “smiley uncle period where Dick Sprang was drawing it, and where you had Ace the Bat-Hound and Bat-Mite, and the zebra Batman—when it was sillier."

Alan Moore agrees.

"I’ve never really liked my story in The Killing Joke. I think it put far too much melodramatic weight upon a character that was never designed to carry it. It was too nasty, it was too physically violent. There were some good things about it, but in terms of my writing, it’s not one of me favorite pieces. If, as I said, god forbid, I was ever writing a character like Batman again, I’d probably be setting it squarely in the kind of “smiley uncle period where Dick Sprang was drawing it, and where you had Ace the Bat-Hound and Bat-Mite, and the zebra Batman—when it was sillier."

So he'll be the Batman of Zur En Arrh?