How come Adult Swim has never been popular with the female demographic?

How come Adult Swim has never been popular with the female demographic?

Other urls found in this thread:

tumblr.com/search/rick and morty
tumblr.com/search/rick sanchez
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

comedy requires logic

Women can't into comedy

There are girls that don't like Venture Bros?

Comedy for the majority of the female demographic is really a riddle, neets you say to you that Melissa McCarthy is the way, but her movies don't work well either and go more to the Seth Rogen audience. Even in romantic comedies the comedy isn't the real material. People say that most womans can cope much with a fictional word if they can't have at least some positive only projection (see Sex in the City). Exagerations of realistic tragedies can hit their personality, they can't get sad if they see Gandalf or Obi Wan dies, but they cry if a romantic plot ends bad (with hit close to home).

Most then can find fun of fictional tragedy, but they can laugh if happens in the real world. But most of my girl friends don't have this problem

I don't know, I don't talk to women

...are you a caveman?

[as] is for the DUDEWEEDLMAO college crowd, only 7% of that is girls

Why do you assume it hasn't?

Did you just assume my homininae definition?

who gives a fuck about demographics ? if adult swim makes something good people with taste will watch it regardless of gender

>neets you say to you that Melissa McCarthy is the way
...?que?

Last time I checked Rick and Morty is pretty popular with females on tumblr:

tumblr.com/search/rick and morty
tumblr.com/search/rick sanchez

Because there aren't any cartoons about fat cunts talking about what whores they are,

Most of Sup Forums say that Melissa McCarthy comedies are popular because it panders to Tumblr community (which is pretty much just screwball Adam Sandler tier stuff), but they are just middlep-busters who don't much success with any demographic in particular

Most of the shows just aren't funny, honestly. Very low effort, very low return. I've enjoyed Boondocks, Moral Orel, Superjail, Venture Bros, etc. Shows that actually seem to invest in their appearance and writing on a professional level.

Most of the original lineup, especially what they'll play during the hours people are more likely to be awake, is crasser, lower effort stuff like Squidbillies, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Robot Chicken, etc. that all feels specifically made for teenage boys and/or stoners. The humor's just not there for me but for some reason, based on sentiments I've seen around here, guys just eat those shows up.

>middlep-busters

Sorry, i meant to say "middle-of-the-year-busters"

You best not be talking shit about ATHF around here, son.

Girls want love stories, girls want relationship drama, girls unrequited love stories, girls want to ship multiple different characters.

Guys dont give a fuck about any of that. Guys want a good novel story or something weird or something funny.

Its shows written for girls by girls that fail the Bechdel test, a test made up by a lesbian, to show that men must be shoehorned into everything. Straight women are the most unimaginative, top40 pop loving, manga loving drool dolls ever. Thats why they dont like nor get Adult Swim.

Women love Rick & Morty. Most of them I know like Eric Andre too, and a few like Sealab, Space Ghost, and other classics.
The issue is the sensibility tends to be pretty abstract, surreal, and removed from reality. Many women are more emotional beings, they like having something to connect and relate to (I as well really, it's why I prefer character-based situational comedy over sketch shows).
Rick & Morty is their most traditionally structured and written show to date. Venture Bros has drama, characters you can care about, and one hell of a story, but it's pretty involved and nerdy. Not a normie show

But they like it for weird fujo reasons

Clearly it's an example of patriarchal oppression of women due to the comedy not being explicitly directed towards women, rather than women just having different standards of humor than men!

normies still like game of thrones?

It's turned "meh".

>source: My dick
This is the most bro-centric opinion I've seen touted all day.
But I really don't know what woman find funny. It's a mystery.

I've never seen someone be so verbose about saying, "The things you like are dumb and the things I like are smart" while finding a way to be more pretentious about it.

So well done on that.

>part of the female demographic
>majority of friends are female
>all of us love adult swim
>ATHF, Brak Show, Superjail, Venture Bros, Robot Chicken, Sealab 2021, all funny as fuck
>Toonami
>Rick and Morty is very popular with both demographics
>Xavier Renegade Angel is the funniest show ever made, and I find that more girls "get" it than guys
>everyone I know is hype as shit for samurai jack

But to answer the question: it's not socially acceptable for girls over a certain age to watch really anything animated (except for disney movies) because they're expected to "grow out of cartoons" moreso than boys.

bump

Women in general prefer more inoffensive comedy. Most of them are pretty PC anyway.

They just want to cuddle poor traumatized Morty and fuck old badass nihilistic sarcastic Rick.

Women are expected to be sophisticated and dainty, more or less. [as] makes no pretense about how crude it is.

>im-fucking-plying
Come on girls, post best boys

The cunts already took over MTV, destroying our chances for another season of Beavis and Butthead. Keep them the fuck away from [AS].

all the chicks i know want to fuck the monarch and rick

Women a shit

Because women just don't get comedy, nor are they funny. You've got to bring up their crazy mother or some shitty past boyfriend to get a reaction out of them.

Women don't get high like dumb stoner guys do, and [as]'s demographic is and always will be dumb stoner guys.

There's a difference between popular with the female demographic and popular with females on tumblr

You fuckers do realize that A LOT of girls smoke weed, right?

Why the monarch?

Of course.

I think the main problem is that girls are more into anime/manga than cartoons in general. Osomatsu-san sold a shit ton in japan, mostly thanks to women.

But not a lot of girls do acid.

>Eric Andre show
>fujo reasons

k

>bad guy
>killer abs
>nice butt
>dem eyebrows

That's cause the Matsus are super cute and have the class of the It's Always Sunny gang. Probably why South Park is popular in Japan too.

I love adult swim shows and other girls definitely give me the side eye for it when it comes up, but it's cool- my soul is lighter for laughing a bunch at silly cartoon characters.

Blame Mike Lazzo. [as] has the lowest percent of females writers for any major network. He said something along the lines of "when you bring women in the writing room you don't get comedy, you get conflict."

He backpedaled on his statement a bit (while not expressing the want to change, or recognize it as, a problem) and in it he said woman like "Amy Schumer" prove him wrong that women can make good comedy.

I don't really think that it's "women don't get comedy" or "women only want romance" or something. I mean, that's true for some but I don't think it's the majority.

I think is right. Can't speak for everyone but I've noticed women tend to be way less likely to watch cartoons and are more hostile when the subject's brought up. "Of course I don't watch cartoons, I'm an adult" etc. Again, not true for everyone but I've seen that attitude a lot in person and on the internet.

Also some cartoons being popular among girls online while others aren't might be because the most vocal fangirl types are shippers anyway. Some people watch shows just for "slash potential" or some shit, and so they'll gravitate toward the ones that offer male pairings where both characters aren't totally ugly. Other women might like shows but since they aren't shipping anything there might not be a lot of fandom shit from them.

t. a gril

>"Of course I don't watch cartoons, I'm an adult"
but why do so many femininist want gay/diff. race couples in cartoons and vidya games if they don't watch/play it?

Weed? Sure. But how many of them do the Really Good Shit? 'cause to fully enjoy [as] programming, you have to be blazed so far out of your mind that you're basically having an out-of-body experience.

They want it there for those who do consume that media.

Those are the more fandom/online types, where people are generally more likely to watch cartoons or be more open about the stuff they like.

I meant IRL or on non-fandom websites you're probably going to see fewer women talking about watching cartoons, unless it's in the sense of "oh, I liked that when I was a kid."

>tend to be way less likely to watch cartoons

Maybe it's just the crowd that I hang with, but I think it's less that they're less likely to watch it and more that they're less likely to admit that they watch it unless they're with close friends

because women are vapid

>Implying [as]'s programming is highly sophisticated and incomprehensible to the simple minded

I like most of the shows aired on there as well, but let's not kid ourselves.

Air Free Swim Club & Osomatsu-San, that will fix that.

Adult Swim's entire "thing" for a while has been making avant garde television.

You can call it "DUDE WEED" if you want to but the fact is that they have highly skilled artists over there making their content, and something like Fox ADHD tries to copy it, it falls flat.

>they're less likely to admit that they watch it unless they're with close friends
>it's not socially acceptable for girls over a certain age to watch really anything animated

The fuck is this shit, I never heard of this.

>also has the attention of one of the most sought after demographics which is 18-30 males which most advertisers thought they had lost to stuff like video games

Super jail, The Boondocks, The Venture Bros, Aqua Teen, and Rick & Morty are all popular among women.

So I don't know what the hell you're talking about OP.

Yeah, I think it's this. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. People think women don't watch cartoons, so women don't watch cartoons. And if they do, they don't mention it.

Real talk - I do not get women. Don't misunderstand, I've been romantically involved and had some success but more often than not I feel like it's entirely by luck. They'll say how funny I am and then take fairly blase observational humor hyper-personally. I actually asked my girlfriend to explain to me how I'm funny and she couldn't, it was like that scene from Goodfellas.

So jokes aren't funny to women, I guess, but they like funny guys? It's a mystery.

I think it's matter of people not caring to evaluate what exactly they find funny, and then when being asked to give a coherent answer on something they took for granted on the spot, they blank out.

Yea but the DUDE WEED shows like Off the Air is a very small part of their programming and aired late at night- most of as is bizarre, cheap animated comedies and fox reruns. Stuff like the Eric Andre Show tries to bridge that gap imo.

I like both but most let's not kid ourselves, people don't think of avant garde art when they hear adult swim. I'm glad they make it though, can't get anything else like it on tv.

Who's saying its not?

>he said woman like "Amy Schumer" prove him wrong that women can make good comedy.
I fail to see the problem.

So speaking for someone else.
Glad to know we have people putting words in people's mouths en masse.

Buddy, I get that you're from /lit/, but we have a containment board there for a reason.

[as] has always been watched by girls, nigger, it's nothing new. They just don't mention it. Just because they don't talk about it, doesn't mean that they don't watch it.
Next you'll tell me girls don't like horror movies.

B

Do you guys find Lucille Ball to be funny?

Melissa Mccarthy is just female Chris Farley
She's actually rather funny
>inb4 people have a Jeph Loeb tier reaction over muh dead fatman

What is she funny in?

The Bechdel test is a joke, intended so by the author
Bechdel is actually really moderate compared to third wave tumblr feminists

I thought Spy was really funny and while I thought the movie was bad I thought she was funny in identity theif

Yes, mostly because her comedy was mostly situational/relied on wordplay rather than "lol she fell down".
It also helped that she played the goofy ditz of a wife when she was very objectively the smarter one in real life.

She was okay, but I'm a lowbrow idiot so I think Tina Fey is hilarious and I wanna impregnate her

Realer talk:

Has any woman actually made you consistently laugh? Like is there any woman in your life that you can confidently say is funny?

Forget about celebs and comedians for a moment.

An aunt, a perpetually drunk sass machine

When media called [as] machist just to gain money.

Yeah, plenty.

I mean I was never into the "women aren't funny" meme, though I think male and female humor at least professionally can be pretty different.

Tjader the f BC

Yea my dad's sister and two of my friends
Though women tend to be unfunny

That's a pretty big assumption you're making.
I think literally all of my female friends love the Venture Brothers.

bump

Dean a shit
Hank a best

adult swim has never been popular with any demographic

eric andre show is only good thing on adult swim and they even tried to ruin that with "new" cameras. Thank god they can't poison the comedy beast that is eric andre.

who is this and who cares what he says

He appears to be venting based on personal experiences that have nothing to do with comedy. The horrendous backpedal with that unfunny slipper as a reference proves this idiot, whoever he is, is an idiot.

From wikipedia: Michael "Mike" Lazzo (born April 10, 1958[1]) is a television producer and the senior executive vice president in charge of Adult Swim at Williams Street.

You'll notice his name in the credits for a lot of adult swim shows.

I guess I can blame him for the quality of adult swim shows, then. I mean Really.. her? I don't even wanna say her name cos it makes me gag. He's out of touch, and that's no surprise.

just because

Why are you so angry, bro?

Well you know what? You're fucking shit.

My sister and I share a similar sense of humor and her comedic timing is on point. My best friend's wife. That's about it.

There's a woman at my office who clearly thinks she's funny but is really just grating.

B

>Tina Fey
She isn't funny at all, guys just say that because they want to put their penors in her jewish vagoo

Aren't women too busy partying and being whores to watch TV?

is that way friendo

A lot more girls I know claim that weed does absolutely nothing for them than guys. And even then, weed "culture" is mostly a dude thing.

ITT: friendzone

Or, you know, you could just go outside and observe things. Is that too hard for you?