Is it just me or is Mark Waid kinda sorta vastly overrated?

Is it just me or is Mark Waid kinda sorta vastly overrated?

He is but what's the particular issue here?

To understand Waid, you have to understand how he got his reputation as "one of the best writers in comics" to begin with. It was almost entirely on the basis of just Flash and Kingdom Come. Later stuff like JLA and Fantastic Four and 52 cemented it.

But from a modern perspective it probably makes no sense how he ever got popular to begin with since his 2010s output is so bad.

he's just a nerd that wants to be popular
Waid isn't for teasing, he's for mediocre boring writing

Not overrated. Just outdated.

Mark Waid was ALWAYS behind the times.

I liked his daredevil

Not as underrated as Monsoon :^)

Ain't none of you ever read Ruse?

Kinda.

Mark Waid is a Good to Great superhero writer. His Daredevil, Flash, and Justice League writing proves that.

But that's it.

Mark Waid cannot write anything fucking else.

It's why his last three Indy books where "Evil Superman" "Black Superman"and "Evil Superman"

That is literally all he can write he is and this is shocking to write a more limited version of Mark Millar.

He's either way too slavish to old comic preconceptions, like Superman being the true identity w/ Clark Kent being the mask, Batman being obnoxiously genius, etc-
Or he just throws the baby out with the bathwater like when he made the Plutonian, a weird bipolar mass-murdering autist freak who learns nothing and ends up providing the essence of Superman, supposedly
Also his views and statements contradict each other a lot and he can be a pretty big sperg

You can never have enough EVIL SUPERMAN, don't you know.

Mark Waid can eat a conga line of cocks, an entire, just an entire line of cocks.

>Or he just throws the baby out with the bathwater like when he made the Plutonian, a weird bipolar mass-murdering autist freak who learns nothing and ends up providing the essence of Superman, supposedly

You just had to remind me. You just fucking had to remind me. Remember when Waid said the Plutonian wouldn't get a second chance?

Daredevil took a pretty hard nosedive

Well, that's the reward you get for being an edgy autist freak. Your essence gets to create Superman.
You realize that Plutonian's suit was literally made of heat-visioned alien hide? That he was wearing a corpse when his essence became Superman?
Yeah
Fuckin shit
If you're gonna make Evil Superman, make Evil Superman
Don't make Evil Superman who ends up inspiring Actual Superman

This.

His Fantastic Four run is probably my favorite run in cape comics ever.

To me, Waid is a solid writer who writes characters with respect and builds upon what was established before in order to respect their core concepts. He rarely goes for cheap reimagining gimmicks for his contract work and I think that's great.

He's what you would call a journeyman in his profession. He's never made me regret spending money on him, but he will never make Watchmen either.

>Daredevil
lol come on now. His Daredevil was a shitshow from the very beginning. It had its moments (or at least one moment), but I'm glad Soule returned DD to his former glory.

>was a shitshow
With some really great art

For me Daredevil begins with Miller/Janson and ends with Noccenti/JRJR

I didn't think it was possible to have taste this shit.

>He's either way too slavish to old comic preconceptions, like Superman being the true identity w/ Clark Kent being the mask, Batman being obnoxiously genius, etc-

You mean immutable, eternal truths.

Aww come on, his Daredevil was solid. The first issue with Spot and the Mafia wedding was pure greatness.

No it wasn't.

First, he actually dealt with Matt being Daredevil a public knowledge.

Second, he was constantly putting Matt in position that would've caused him another crippling depression, question his own sanity years ago, but instead of giving in we saw him fighting it, reaching out to others.

Both of these are great ideas considering true shitshow that was Shadowland. Now, his preachy political opinions should stay on Twitter, but that's not exclusive to Waid.

>Justice League
It's massively overrated. Tower of Babel is shit. Morrison and Kelly are both superior.
Wieringo carried his ass.
>Waid is a solid writer who writes characters with respect and builds upon what was established before in order to respect their core concepts.
Yeah right. His DD was a fuck you to what has been built up since Miller. His Fantastic Four was a fuck you to Doomfags and his Legion was a fuck you to everyone.

I'm fine with Matt dealing with his depression in ways besides being sad in the rain constantly, and Waid had some cool new villains and used old villains in ways besides making fun of them which is something a lot of comic writers don't do anymore.

Fuck Bryne Doom worshipers though, Doom's better when he is clearly kidding himself and the sheer mess of the four trying to untie the massive ugly knot of Latveria was a great story.

That said I dunno what the fuck happened with his indy shit or his Avengers run, let alone Champions.

We are just going to have to disagree on Daredevil because that's a great example of what he does. Yeah, it went in a more swashbuckling direction on the surface, Matt was still dealing with being outed and clearly was working through depression.

his LoSH was terrible and I don't know how anyone can disagree

It was a puss poor attempt to bring back the silver age tone in contemporary setting. Waid tries so hard to be Morrison but unlike Morrison, he has an imagination of a fucking chimp. Same deal with Fantastic Four too.

Marvel hit maximum noir and angst with Daredevil before Waid's run. Matt literally took over the Hand in New York, wore black, impaled Bullseye, and declared martial law.

Waid was smart enough to say all of that happened, but the storytelling opportunities of constantly shanking Matt in the ribs had to stop for a while.

Waid actually tried to build up Daredevil's world and find a manageable place in it with him, Foggy, his law practice, and a love interest.

Meanwhile, Soule comes in and says "lol fuck that" and pulls a One More Day with Matt's identity and puts him back reliving Bendis and Brubaker stories. Fuck that.

Again when it comes to capeshit, people like something based on premise and concept rather than the actual execution. I'm not saying what Waid tries to do is inherently wrong or stupid but his execution isn't actually there.

The first 27 issues are hit-or-miss (or at least hit-or-mediocre). Everything after that was unreadable.