Ricky Gervais

What's your opinion on Ricky Gervais? Either about his work as a comedy writer, radio/podcaster, actor, stand-up comedian or simply on his personality?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Teca5GzCaRk
youtube.com/watch?v=uV3MQtpYikM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Quintessential reddit

He's an asshole, but that seems to work for him.

pleb version of David Mitchell

I don't even remember anything this guy has done besides The Office, that shitty special with Chris Rock and Seinfeld, and that shitty movie about a fat atheist.

The most unfunny British comedian since Peter Kay.

i feel like he is just a foolish comedian, but because he is british americans have raised him to a level he is not worthy of, assuming he is some hyper intelligent comedian. when in reality he is just a british jim carrey type guy

Helped create The Office but is also responsible for Derek.

He did one relatively good thing with The Office and then used celebrities to prop up Extras and all of a sudden he's a comedy genius. Now he'sjust become a bit-rate shock comedian that people hire because they know he will say something slightly off-colour and get headlines for a day or two about what a cheeky chappie he was.

>british humor
>funny

Trash, the only good thing he's ever been in was only good because of a superior writer (Stephen Merchant).

Turned into David Brent

Extras was a good show though.

>MFW watching the David Brent movie

Gas reddit posters

derek was unwatchable

I prefer him to Russell Brand, who pisses me off to no end with that fucking voice of his that goes 6 octaves higher every time he disagrees with you. I heard him in a phone conversation and it was just fucking odd. Guy's full of himself.

So yeah, as far as "british comedians" go I prefer him to some other types

Great when he's working with others, shit when he's given full control over a project.

Pretty funny. His work with Karl Pilkington is great.

Reminder that Steve was ourguy all along.

>comedy writer
I'll always respect him for being behind The Office UK and Extras, both of which were god-tier. Life's Too Short was pretty entertaining as well, but Derek was terrible.

>radio/podcaster
Huge fan of his podcasts with Merchant and Pilkington.

>actor
He's a terrible actor and ever since Hollywood picked him up he's been in a series of increasingly shitty films

>stand-up
I watched his four stand-up DVDs on youtube and they were alright, not great or really noteworthy, but not really bad either

>his personality
Fame completely got to his head, he's completely full of himself and he gives atheists a bad name

All in all he's done a lot of stuff that made me really laugh and that's all a comedian really needs to do, but the quality of his work has been declining a lot recently.

The small child isn't the one being told he's not getting presents. Learn to read.

I think he is a lost soul.

I'm actually going to see his latest stand-up show this friday, he's touring in Amsterdam.
I liked The Office and Extras and his hold stand-up work was okay, but I didn't want to miss the opportunity to see him live now that he's literally in my hometown. I'll report back once I've seen him.

youtu.be/Teca5GzCaRk

underrated actor imo. If he did a serious role with a good director he'd have atleast one oscar in the bag

Far all the faults Derek had as a series, that moment was kino.
It's just that every other acting Gervais has done in movies was shit.

Fuck you man, Phoenix Nights was goat

That Peter Kay Thing is great too. Only one series but kicked it all off.

Is it seriously not good?

I've never gotten into Peter Kay. Maybe you need to be from the north or something. All he seems to do is reminisce about things to tumultuous applause

And can someone please explain his garlic bread joke? Legitimately serious question.

oh god no

It shouldn't have been made in the first place. There were three funny moments but the whole project felt like milking the David Brent cow. It was unnecessary and released far too long after The Office ended. It would've been better if they did it in 2004-2005, a year or two after it ended.

I'm a bit jealous user, I'm a huge fan of Ricky Gervais and I'd love to see him live. Think you can get a pic with him?

Don't know if he does that kind of thing, but my friend who got the tickets through work said they were VIP tickets so who knows? I'll at least try and get an autograph.

has he fallen out with steve or something? when talking about their joint projects, he literally never mentions him - even using "I" instead of "we" when talking about creating the office/extras- to the point where it's awkward

>please explain his garlic bread joke
He's having a crack at insular northerners in an affectionate way. Like they are so backward and clueless they've never heard of garlic bread. Also, the gag works because it makes you think of the two things separately, ie raw garlic and standard sliced white bread, which together sounds like shit.

Ricky is so edgy.

He's always been full of himself and has a habit of contributing the joint projects to himself. All his stuff has also always been credited to him like "The Ricky Gervais Show" which was just as much about Stephen Merchant and later on Karl Pilkington.

I remember reading a really pompous interview where he talked about how over the years so many popular shows have used the mockumentary style (Modern Family, Arrested Development etc.) he used in The Office, saying "I'm probably to blame for all that", obviously claiming that he invented the style and the popularity of all those shows was down to him.

I do sometimes wonder if it was actually Merchant who was behind the success of The Office and Extras because their joint projects are their best stuff. Most of Gervais's own work doesn't even compare to the stuff they worked on together.
What's Merchant been doing anyway? I'd love for him to write an original work on his own just so I can check my theory that he was the real mastermind.

I liked old Rick.

im guessing you've not watched hello ladies

I liked extras, and that's pretty much all I watched with him, not count all the small roles in the various movies

I haven't watched it, but I've heard of it. I didn't know he wrote that himself. Was it any good?

Extras is a masterpiece. Every single episode is hilarious and the celebrity cameos are well-used. I wonder what the American audience thought of some of the British cameos though. Pretty sure no one knew who Ross Kemp, Les Dennis, Jonathan Ross or Robert Lindsay were

The Office was amazing.
Extras was good.
The Ricky Gervais Show is comfy.
Everything else he does is fairly shit. His Curb appearance was good.

Ricky wrote the character of David Brent while Steve wrote he rest of the show.

The Office and Extras were great, but he's kind of an insufferable cunt. I wonder how much of those were Gervais, because everything he's done without Steve has been hot garbage, and Hello Ladies, while not great, was closer to what I liked about the Office and Extras.

He's fucking terrible at anything that isn't playing a smug, up himself wanker like in The Office and Extras and he's only good at that because he's a smug, up himself wanker in real life.

He really is. He knows it as well. I love this "sketch" from Life's Too Short where Johnny Depp calls him out on it
youtube.com/watch?v=uV3MQtpYikM

Awful person

Average comedian

Low quality writer

Funny enough in most of his work. Pretty annoying irl. Just another fat kid talking about Christianity while Islam degrades the entire world.

I like his stand up but it doesn't hold up well. Nothing he does tbqhwyf.

Incredibly unfunny manlet that's incredibly full of himself

His stand up bit that goes by the same name is good, but I thought the show was not great.

>5'8
>manlet
not a manlet, but that's just wrong

>under 6 feet
>n-not a manlet

I'll check it out, never knew he did stand up

Why do sub-standard British comedians make it big in America? Ricky Gervais and James Corden are perfect examples of this. Both made one show that had huge success and both of them haven't done anything of worth since, yet Gervais is a big shot in Hollywood and Corden got a massive talk show deal.

Whatever flack he gets, his Golden Globe stuff is fucking golden

I actually find him quite funny
I am an atheist too but his whole atheism thing is tired and obnoxious, he isn't going to convert anyone so I don't know why he makes such issue out of it.

gervais has had many successes in britain and was considered one of the top comedians for a long time

your point is valid but gervais as an example is not. you should have said john oliver

Funny lad, extremely arrogant and the fact that he plays that up doesn't hide it. Is at his best when working with Merchant.

Gervais is just like Carr in that they feel "insulted" and "betrayed" that they were "tricked" into believing in a religion they were raised in and never got over it. They act like Christianity ruined their lives because they spent a great deal of time genuinely believing it.

I understand. I used to believe, but I got over it and understood why my parents raised me in their faith because they truly believe it. Corden and Hugh Laurie are former Christians, one is spiritualist and the other is secular, but they don't act like it was the end of the world or felt abused by being raised in faith.

Yeah, they take it too far, especially Ricky. Those photoshoots just go too far. Sure, be an atheist, but don't continually ridicule religious people (mainly Christians, easy target). I don't believe in God either, but fuck me he just can't seem to let it go.

Love him in Life's Too Short

Not to mention Every talking point Ricky makes on Religion is unoriginal yet he speaks it like he's a genius. He parrots lines out of The God Delusion and Hitchen's quotes without crediting them. He's an intellectual fraud. He did the same thing with Karl and Steve.

Why was Derek hated?

American here who didn't know any of them before watching the show: it's still hilarious, most of them have american parallels, so the jokes still work.

He did the Office (basically Spinal Tap in the workplace).

Everything else was complete shit.