How come there are so many memorable versions of alice from alice in wonderland but one one memorable version of dorthy...

How come there are so many memorable versions of alice from alice in wonderland but one one memorable version of dorthy from wizard of oz?

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/bookmark/alice-wonderland-author-lewis-carroll-897812
theguardian.com/books/2014/nov/18/new-lewis-carroll-biography-relationships-children
news.artnet.com/art-world/was-lewis-carroll-a-pedophile-his-photographs-suggest-so-237222
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_or_What's_a_Nice_Kid_Like_You_Doing_in_a_Place_Like_This?
youtube.com/watch?v=psq7opul4W0
youtube.com/watch?v=eyFSHggHZME
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Speak for yourself.

What are the memorable versions of alice?

The one that looks like X-23 you can jack off to.
And, um...

The Alice books have very little plot to speak of (they're dream narratives) while the Oz books are fantasy quests.

Alice can be used and reinterpreted in any number of different ways (incorporate drugs or madness if you want to be edgy, play up the comfy settings if you want clean fun) while Dorothy is harder to separate from her storyline.

>so many memorable versions of alice from alice in wonderland
Let's be honest, most people think of the Disney movie, because it's Disney. Sure, you might get some people gushing over American McGee's games, but that's about it. Shame, really, as there have been some AMAZING adaptations of Carroll's work: the BBC did a great radio play of Through The Looking Glass last Christmas... although you have to really love BBC Radio to appreciate the in-jokes.

As to why Wizard of Oz has only one memorable adaptation, the answer is quite simple: most of them have been kinda crap. There were about three movies based on the original Oz book before the '39 movie (there were others based on other books) and the most you can say about them is that they have historical importance or some shit.

Also, you have to remember that the Judy Garland movie came out at a time when everyone was still getting over The Great Depression. Hearing Judy sing "Over The Rainbow", and later in the film seeing THIS spoke to America - hell, to the world - in a way you can't really put into words.

t. Some dweeb who really, REALLY loves that film, and Baum's original books.

>RUBY slippers

Don’t know, the wizard of Oz. actually had some depth, whereas Alice was just Charles Dodgson’s 12 year old lovers acid-trip.

American McGee's Alice comes to mind immediately, other than that, it's pretty much weeb stuff that gets counted for. Them japanese lot had quite an obsession with it, and probably still has.

Best version reporting in. And it's actually Sup Forums related because quite a bit of it's stop-motion. I can never remember whether we do that sort of stuff. If not, we should.

hollywoodreporter.com/bookmark/alice-wonderland-author-lewis-carroll-897812

Another article about Dodgson's reputation these days:

theguardian.com/books/2014/nov/18/new-lewis-carroll-biography-relationships-children

Lol People defending their favorite shit pedo author I see.
news.artnet.com/art-world/was-lewis-carroll-a-pedophile-his-photographs-suggest-so-237222

"It's creative so the author must have been on drugs!"

Thank you, you're the real MVP

I wouldn’t call it creative so much as barley coherent trash.

Barley trash?

>so many memorable versions of alice from alice in wonderland
I can only think of Disney's version. The rest are really shitty "edgy" versions that no one cares about.

Wonderland and Looking-Glass land are dreams. They run off dream logic; they're not supposed to make coherant sense. Alice isn't literally travelling to a fantasy world like Oz or Narnia, she's just sleeping. As written depictions of dreaming they're almost unparalleled.

More cishet men want to RAPE Alice than Dorothy.

Cool, doesn’t make Dobgson any less of a pedo though.

From the second link I posted:

>Wakeling blamed “rumours of him taking nude photographs of hundreds of children” for the idea that Carroll had an “unhealthy relationship with children”. But when Wakeling set out to search for these photographs, he found about 30, mainly from about eight families who had approached Carroll themselves.

>“Child mortality in Victorian society was high. Parents who had children would have paintings or sculptures done, just in case. When photography came along, it was much easier. And these parents wanted them to be as close to angels as possible, so they tended to be nude. He obliged,” he said. “It was very much a Victorian thing you did. There was nothing untoward about this. Out of 3,000 photographs it is less than 1% – tiny. So suggesting he took hundreds is wrong.”

Victorians were actually pretty okay with child nudity - they thought it was cute more than anything else. See also: mainland Europe.
I got into a (relatively) civil discussion with an user about whether or not The Caterpillar was smoking tobacco or hashish in the original book; we both ended up agreeing that we couldn't prove it either way.
Well, there is this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_or_What's_a_Nice_Kid_Like_You_Doing_in_a_Place_Like_This?

Out of all the Alice adaptations I only like the Disney version. I'm however a fan of the original books and feel that most of the interpretations we get are pure edgy shit. As in they're insults to the original. Disney's Alice at least got the absurdity and fun aspects right and didn't try to be anything more than a dreamlike joyride - just as the original. Also the animation is great.

A memorable mention goes to the first McGee's Alice but only for one reason - the music. The OST is amazing.

Regarding the Caroll was pedo/on drugs - that too is bullshit. The man had many flings with adult women and to the point that some were scandalous by victorian standards. Likewise the creative = drugged meme needs to die in all its aspects. The whole pedo meme was conjured by shit people from a shit era, that cannot see anything occuring outside sex. All those photographs of little girls and the actual Alice are a small fraction of the things Caroll photographed - landscapes, buildings, nature. And the little girl thing was a facet of the culture of his era, not something exclusively his. Likewise the children he photographed were always accompanied by a parent and the pictures were taken with their consent and understanding, which is to say it was just something people did. He was in fact one of the pioneers of photography as such and recognized for his skill and themes.

Among other things he was an excellent mathematician, physicist and even had a few patents for inventions. Most of his literary work is actually scientific.

In other words we're dealing with people who aren't worthy to smell his shit condemning him for the things he didn't do and which they themselves bullshitted across the literary/philological landdscape for a bit of money fleeced from the plebs via manufactured slander.

Yeah I get it, a lot of the Victorians were pedos , being a pedo was no big deal in 19th century England.

But being a dumb piece of shit gnawing at the ankles of your superiors was always frowned upon.

No one like's Svankmajer's adaptation then?

[disdain for plebs intensifies]

Stop-motion is okay for discussion, as are puppet shows (but the latter tend to get more pedants weighing in)
I think it's more a case of very few people having seen it.

Yeah you mad.

You have to remember that nudity alone isn't inherently sexual, and different cultures and different time periods see it as less sexual than others.

yeah but, Dodgson was totally a pedo, stop trying to deny it.

Dobson?

In my case the drive is missing. I'm perfectly content with what we have already.

which is why it's so much better. Wizard of Oz is a boring run of the mill story, alice in wonderland is very interesting and provokes the imagination well

No you retard “Charles Lutwidge Dodgson” aka Lewis Carroll.

It's actually a trip through the world of high level maths. Where numbers have more than one root, negative numbers have roots and true things can be deduced from several false premises.

MATH, not even once

I wouldn't go so far. Though I'm only familiar with the old movie. It seems unfair to compare the two due to the wildly different backgrounds of the authors and the genre. Alice in unmatched for a reason, but that doesn't invalidate other works at all.

Well yeah if you prefer random idiocy to a coherent sorry then Alice in Acid land is definitely the one for you.

Oz only entered the oublic domain a couple years ago. Give it time.

cool story bro.

>comparing american pleb drivel to superior british literature
amerifats really are delusional

Best Alice coming through.

The original book was intended as an American fairytale, so it's story is a little simplistic. However, I always found Baum's dialogue and way of setting the scene to be evocative in its simplicity.
I never "got" the Alice books, but I'd say they're more avant-garde than anything else.

>Comparing British pedo smut to wholesome American Literature.

Dose the degeneracy of the Limey fags know no end?

it's not that strange an assumption, Lewis Carrol's other books were largely books on mathematics

For me, it's 1966 BBC Alice in Wonderland. Music by Ravi Shankar, no animal costumes, Victorian dress. It feels like a long hot summer day and Alice is as mad as everyone else.

Forever on my "to watch" list but never being watched

It's not a strange assumption but it is factually wrong. Carrol made up Alice in Wonderland as a bedtime story for one of his friend's daughters. It was literally nonsense for the sake of entertaining a child.

My first thread I ever saw on Sup Forums was an Alice thread that ended up being a week long one. Wish I saw more of her.

Never saw the star filled 1985 Irwin Allen version?

Oz is ruled by a trans princess though.

>Oz only entered the oublic domain a couple years ago. Give it time.

The first book has been public domain since 1956. There's lots of adaptations using the first book and the rest of the Baum Oz books, which entered public domain in the 80s and 90s.

>As written depictions of dreaming they're almost unparalleled.
100% this.

Um, Princess Ozma is best princess.

That final link made me think of this.
youtube.com/watch?v=psq7opul4W0

What's a nice girl like you doing on a knight like this?

This is a Very Memorable Alice. Might be my favorite version. Especially with Sup Forums's love of Twincest.

Which version is that?

Kek.

Anyone, pls?

Who's that in the middle

Hentai Alice.

sauce pls

Alice in Sexland

One of the first hentai published in English

thank you user

It's suprisingly good (as regards its non-purely-sex-related aspects, like characterization, dialogue, and plot).

God, watching the incredibly limited Hanna Barbera animation really makes you appreciate the Disney version.

youtube.com/watch?v=eyFSHggHZME

Most people probably don't even know Oz is based on a book, let alone that it's public domain. The MGM movie is just TOO iconic. Which is too bad, the other books have other girls in them who need recognition.

Best Dorothy, best adaptaion of the books.