Sup Forums Secret Santa

Is Sup Forums doing a Secret Santa this year?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/ynkzLqd7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Its not even Halloween yet stfu.

Ooooo, I hope so.

I wanna buy people stuff again.

Fuck off Boco.

Depends on how the mods feel.

What are you asking Santa for this year, Boco?

I'll send you my wish list if you buy me something now

Yes sir...

Same thing I ask for every year. A harem of sexy demon girls.

Not until Christmas, user.

All I want is a harem of cutie witch girls

Have they banned Secret Santa threads in the past? Sup Forums, /cgl/, /out/ and /k/ do Secret Santa threads plus other boards and they don't seem to have any issues.

Who ran it last time?

I got a month's ban once a few years back for posting my list, but not the year or so afterwards. It really depends.

Definitely don't try it after the 25th, I know that much.

It would be cool to be honest. I loved giving gifts for people and I even received a few myself for these last two years. The Secret Santa is just a little thing that truly made me embrace this place, as shitty it is sometimes (or always).

Shout out to the boys and ghouls whom I sent :
> Orc Stain
> Berserk volume 2
> Nimona
Hope you all liked what I sent. Moreso for the girl that received Nimona. I have no idea what the fuck it is and it doesn't seems like my kind of thing.

Ah gotcha, well the way we do it on /k/ is you fill out a form that only the coordinator can view responses to and then get paired up with a random user in the same price bracket, that's how you get a target and put down a wishlist for your gifter.

This way, the only two people that ever see your info are the person sending you a gift and the organizer.

Does the same person organize each year? I wanted to help but I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to take over or whatnot. Sup Forums got a little upset when I offered to send out cards.

That makes too much sense. Last year for Sup Forums's secret santa was a huge mess.

> Spreadsheet full of names and lists that gets updated when the guy running it is around

>First people to get gifted were removed immediately because OP is online

> Last people left on the list as it gets later get multiple people gifting them stuff because they're on the list that gets posted in every new thread when the original OP is gone

> People bitching about those still on the list getting gifted over and over again

I honestly doesn't know if it's the same person every year. The way we proceeded, every one posted their wishlist (with each branch of Amazon they belong to). Then, the organizer all noted them in a public pastebin where everyone could see. Anons would notify on the threads which wishlist just received an item so the organizer can remove them as soon as he can.
There was some problem like a few anons receiving several presents or people posting their lists without giving anything in return. But it's not like we can do anything against that.

As far as personal information goes, it's not really a big deal I believe. I received a gifts each year and nobody went to their way to fuck with me afterwards. I want to believe that Sup Forums is mature enough to not bite the person that just gave you a gift.

probably but don't even start thinking about it until after american thanksgiving.

I only buy memorabilia for my Sup Forumsmrades
toys and weird stuff

Ok yeah, that's the same way that /out/ was doing it the last two years. It seemed that the main issue was the difficulty in clearly pairing people as it was pretty much a free-for-all scenario.

>After Thanksgiving

We tried that last year on /k/ and had people getting late gifts all the way through April. It was a mess, 2014 went great as we had started early, that's why I was asking now. Heck, Sup Forums's cutoff to signup for their Secret Santa ended like two days ago, they're already doing pairings.

American Thanksgiving > Canadian Thanksgiving

Run ours, start it up November 1 so you have time to set some rules and we have time to get paired up and send out gifts. Another problem with last year's SS was that there was no cutoff date so people were still begging after Christmas and being added to the pastebin until December 24

Alright, that sounds like a good idea. I already have the /k/ Secret Santa form set up, so all I have to do it is make a copy then tweak it for Sup Forums's theme and we're good to go.

I can start it on November 1st like you suggested and the cutoff will be December 1st, with pairings on the 3rd. One full month to signup and at least two solid weeks to shop, make and wrap presents. Sound good?

I think it does. It's weird how the other boards already have theirs set up but nobody has done this here yet.

That surprised me too, I assumed Sup Forums was a pretty popular/populated board. That's why I made a "pre-game" thread to make sure I wasn't messing with tradition or anything.

>every one posted their wishlist (with each branch of Amazon they belong to). Then, the organizer all noted them in a public pastebin where everyone could see.

I hope that if it is the same person they delete that pastebin once it's all done with. I remember the first year Sup Forums had a secret santa I took part, even got something, but never took part in any year afterwards. Would honestly feel really strange if I just got something on the list without knowing beforehand. I'd probably scramble to make sure no one got my information and bought something with my money, rarely have enough for anything beyond bills these days.

If this actually happens would it be for just Americans ? I'm an ausfag and I'd love to participate but I don't know if we got Amazon over here.

>all these newfags that have been here less than a year and don't know how Sup Forums does this shit every year
Lurk more newfags

Yeah, these newfags being newfags. Hey newfags, you aren't dank enough to participate with others.

>would it just be for Americans

No, everyone is welcome to participate. I'll do my best to match everyone up with someone in their country/region. I'm not sure how many Aussies are on Sup Forums though so you might get paired with a Eurobro.

Who ran it last year?

>I'll do my best to match everyone up with someone in their country/region
Hey newfag, you should stop before you fuck things up, because you clearly don't know how Sup Forums does things. One guy doesn't match people. People decide who they will gift themselves. Some people even gift like 10 people.
>who ran it last year
Jesus, you all are newer than I thought.

Here I'll spoonfeed you this once. With Sup Forums there is a thing called an archive, desuarchive. With this site you can search and find old threads. You can then read what happened in these threads from 10 months ago that are older than you.

Yeah I gathered that much, you guys use an Amazon wishlist style of sorting just like /out/ did. That means you can't include anything handmade, do your own packaging, or add any personal touches. I got a really cool decorated box that a /k/ommando handmade the last time I participated in the /k/ Secret Santa. This is the same format that /k/, Sup Forums, and /cgl/ use and haven't had any issues.

I'm asking if you guys want the option to be randomly paired up with someone in your same price bracket and then receive a list of things they're interested in, and the chance to buy/make/wrap gifts how you want, isntead of instead of just buying something online off of Amazon.

I hope so, I've been adding new comics to the christmas mediafire. Did anything come out this year besides Klaus?

Leave it as it's been. Firstly, having one guy in charge of anything Sup Forums does usually isn't pleasant. Secondly and more importantly, some people might not be able to match with someone else either from being the only one in the country or money. Third, some people like to splurge and buy multiple people gifts and don't want to be limited to the person they were assigned or want anything in return. Fourth some people are greedy and just want to receive and not give.

Keep an eye out for the DC Rebirth Christmas Special.

>DC is bringing 'Rebirth' to the winter holidays with DC Rebirth Holiday Special. The 96-page prestige format one-shot is scheduled to feature characters such as Wonder Woman, the Flash, John Constantine, Batwoman, Harley Quinn, Detective Chimp, and more. Harley Quinn co-creator Paul Dini is writing the Harley Quinn tale, and is joined on the book by Steve Orlando, James Tynion IV, Cullen Bunn, Tim Seeley, James Asmus, Heath Corson, Gustavo Duarte, Dustin Nguyen and more to be announced.

>"Don’t miss a Chanukah crisis for Batwoman, a Flash family Christmas, Wonder Woman crashing John Constantine’s hellblazing pagan party and more – and in a must read story, the simian sleuth Detective Chimp spreads his own unique brand of holiday cheer!" reads the official description. "And New York Times bestselling writer Paul Dini (Dark Night: A True Batman Story) crafts a Harley Quinn holiday tale featuring DCU guests that weaves together all of these stories in the weirdest way possible."

Sweet, I'm downloading Hogfather right now to add to the specials right now. I was gonna add the Giant Days Holiday special but it wasn't very holidayish.

If we have threads for it I'll participate again. I always like to look through people's wishlists.

But one guy in charge of a pastebin is how it's usually done and that really isn't pleasant. Especially when he doesn't update the list and only a few names are left.

Now imagine one guy in charge of even more. Besides last year when it got bad, someone just stepped up made a second more up to date pastebin. Remember?

The Pastbin is dumb anyway. Most people just get it from the thread.

I think InStockTrades has a way to share wishlists now for USAnons who want cheaper stuff

I'd definitely buy someone two books from IST than one overpriced book from Amazon.

But can you send somebody something from their wishlist or would you need to get their address?

I'll put up a StrawPoll in a couple days and let everyone vote on which style they prefer. Sup Forums's board, Sup Forums's choice.

It's actually a lot easier matching folks with one target. We have 125 people signed up at the moment for the 2016 /k/ Secret Santa that I'm coordinating.

With people filling out the form, I can sort them by price bracket and region and ensure everyone has a target and a gifter within their own budget and open them up to gifting a lot more than just what's on Amazon.

This is dumb, we've been doing it the Amazon wishlist way for 5 years. We have constant threads with storytimes and everyone posting well wishes and sharing things from the day after Thanksgiving to the new year. It is a whole thing on Sup Forums, not like other boards.

what's the link for /k/ secret santa? I haven't posted there in a few weeks but I used to be pretty active

Why are you so insistent on your idea about something you've never been a part of? Like seriously, Sup Forums has something it does and you come saying you've never been a part of it but everyone should change it to your idea.

Seriously. It's far from a perfect system, but it also allows us to have active threads of stories and riddles and mirth throughout the whole of the season. Last year I was buying things through Amazon with like 3 days to Christmas since there was still guaranteed shipping. Does Amazon have the lowest prices? Not always, no. But it allows us to easily gift multiple people if we desire. The best part of my holiday is giving gifts to the children of Sup Forumsmerades that post their lists in the thread.

We managed to gift everyone on the list by the end right?

I believe so, yes. There were some complications, like obvious duplicate lists and ones with only excessively expensive stuff on them, but I think all the legitimate ones were gifted.

>with only excessively expensive stuff on them
I forgot about the guy that posted a list with only several hundred dollar college text books. Pretty amusing to see that on the list.

What about the guy who wanted expensive ass sneakers and nothing else.

or that one user with a bunch of just kitchen utensils

Seriously, it is my favorite time of the year. I've made rec lists for the Christmas threads, I've tracked down hard to find holiday specials and comics for people to storytime. I love Christmas on Sup Forums, and if we don't have the 24/7 threads Christmas will suck.
Remember the user that put anal beads on his, and got them?

Here you go mate

pastebin.com/ynkzLqd7

Because at least half of the people in this thread said they were interested and until this past hour no one seemed to recall how long this tradition had gone on or how successful it had been.

The whole point of this thread was to see how things in the past went and how things were planned for this year. You pointed out that I've never been a part of this before and I'm pointing out that I'm interested in becoming a part of the Christmas cheer this year, if and only if, Sup Forums is interested.

If you guys want to do it the way you've always done it, by God, I'm not going to be the one to stop you.

Somehow I don't think those would have been gifted under an alternative system, either. You've gotta have at least some board-related stuff for it to be a real themed holiday event. And plus sometimes we do give the weird stuff, like said

All good laughs.
Oh fuck. What was the full set? Anal beads lube and a Spiderman comic?

I think he got lube too.

Well it's rude to give anal sex toys without lube.

I don't think anyone meant offense. Our board's Secret Santa has had a complicated relationship with moderation in the past, and starting a thread about it before Thanksgiving may have thrown some people off. Your system seems effective and personal for one-on-one gifting, but in the past I've given multiple gifts throughout the season when finances allowed.

It's fine, some random user shows up from outside of Sup Forums and starts throwing around new ideas, and suggesting changing a system that some folks feel works just fine, well I can see how some people might have been bothered.

If Sup Forums wants to keep it how it's always been I'm totally cool with that, and I'm sorry if it sounded like I took anything personal. I have no right or desire to tell you guys how to do anything.

The other reason I was offering up this style's suggestion is I like to send everyone on the list a Christmas card. If you guys want to do the Amazon method, I can just make a form for people that want to get an Christmas card in addition to doing the Amazon wishlists.

That would probably work well. I know some users get nervous about their personal information being shared with anyone, so an opt-in system like that would be stellar. My guess is that we'll stick with the Amazon method, given the difficulties we've had with early deletions. A single week for opting in before the cutoff isn't ideal for a system like yours. But I am all about your card idea.

Nice, signed up for that one too. Sup Forums is pretty unique from the other boards though, threads involving storytimes to draw attention to the event and get more gift giving going on isn't really something that would work on other boards where the interest doesn't revolve around story driven media.

could do both

>A single week for opting in

The way I had, the cutoff to join in would be from November 1st to December 1st, that way you have an entire month to decide if you want to join in, then two weeks to shop for your target and get their package mailed out. Regardless, I agree it would probably be easier to keep things the way everyone is used to.

Sweet. That's true.

Actually you have a good point, there's reason it would have to be "either or". One link for the Amazon list and one link for the single pairings. Does that sound better to you guys?

*there's NO reason it would have to be "either or"

Doing both might complicate things. We have enough trouble getting a single thread allowed. Two competing events splintering the demographics might not be the best idea.

That's a good idea, one way to let people do a one on one deal while everyone else can be as generous or beg as much as they want.

What if it was merged into one thread with a big OP with all the information for both programs?

It could work in theory, but it might also lead to issues. Do we prevent people from doing both? The Amazon list system allowed for latecomers to get in on the holiday spirit and gave us a tangible goal in getting everyone onto the gifted list. And, as pointed out, we tend to run storytimes, giveaways and streams throughout the month of December to draw in more giving, which wouldn't work as well starting on November 1st. We come close to wearing out our welcome as it is.

Well, I was picturing run them together in the same thread vs having separate threads. If folks like doing the Amazon thing because they can gift to multiple targets, I imagine a lot of them would do the pairings too, since that would be one more person they could gift to.

I'm just brainstorming. That's what I meant to say from the beginning, just trying out some ideas to see what people think, rather than "This is how it has to be."

>what if it was merged into one thread with a big OP with all the information for both

Yeah that's basically what I imagining. All of the details and info for how to do the form to get paired up is in the description of the form itself, so it's more self contained and would take up less space in the Sup Forums thread. Basically like "hey click this link to read up on how pairings work, and if you're interested you can fill it out, if not no big deal"

And then still have the pastebin link too, just like everyone did in the past.

Hmm, you brought up some good points too. The issue with people mailing out packages themselves in the pairings is not having the Amazon Prime 48 hour shipping, that's why I was suggesting the cut off in early December so everyone had time to get paired and ship before the post offices close.

I don't see why we would prevent people from doing both. A one on one system in addition to the regular SS would just be an extra thing for people who want to be guaranteed (as close to a guarantee as you can get here) something for their effort in gifting.

According to /k/ is still signing people up until December 1 so he could probably push back our date to match the holiday season more accurately too.

>cut off in early December
The threads usually start December 1st or after Thanksgiving. Earlier and not only may mods delete them, Sup Forums is well known for threads like Sup Forums cup etc getting deleted, but run out of steam by the time things usually end, exhausting all storytimes and streams early on.

>he could probably push back our date to match the holiday season more accurately too.

Totally. If different dates work better for Sup Forums there's no reason they can't be adjusted. I'm just using how we do it on /k/ as a template, we had issues with running it too late last year and some people weren't getting their stuff until February as most folks were shipping their stuff via USPS.
>and customs was a bitch for a couple international guys

But you're right, there's plenty of flexibility on the dates.

>Sup Forums is well known for threads like Sup Forums cup etc getting deleted

That really sucks. /k/ and /out/ really don't have as much moderation as a lot of the other boards, since we're smaller so I didn't think of that issue. But like Mr Dubs said here the dates can be pushed back for Sup Forums, it's all flexible if you guys don't mind the chance of some of you getting your stuff after Christmas.

Well you have around a month to go until it is time to start the threads. So hold on to your idea until then and bring it up when it is time and you see Sup Forums making the Sup Forums x-mas threads.

I'm always on board for free stuff, even if it's just a card so it feels like someone cares

Alright that sounds fair, I won't make anymore threads about it until December/when you guys start making threads.

There were more than a few guys from /k/ that ended up telling me I was the only to send them a Christmas Card at all those years, so you could say it left an impression on me. Even if the card is from a stranger, its nice if its a caring stranger.

I was also thinking about throwing in a sticker with each of the cards. Not sure what design to use, so you guys can think on that and I'll ask for suggestions in December.

Halloween is in two days, user

hello i have not ever participated in the secret santa but i would like to this year.

It hasn't started yet, literally they said that like two posts above yours. Keep an eye out around December, it looks like they'll do the old model where anyone can come in and give a link to their list and be added to a pastebin or googledoc