Book of Life

What do my Sup Forumsmrades think of this hidden gem?

While,on the whole, I thought it was pretty great. However, I think they could have tried a little harder with the love triangle. From the moment it started, I knew it would be manolo. Also, hearing some original songs could only have helped the film.

The film also mad a very compelling case for necrophilia.

On the upside, they actually put effort into integrating the licensed song into the scene.

I guess.

Beautiful art style with no real substance. Writing felt really weak as well as most of the characters. Not terrible but I'm not sure I would recommend it either.

A book for ants.

I'm mad Xibalba can be a perpetual prick and still have an eternal waifu that loves him. Fuck that guy.

The visuals were absolutely gorgeous, but the pacing was off and the comic relief was just cringeworthy.

Pretty much exactly this. Shit happens to propel the plot forward, a lot of it is paper thin, then the movie ends. But good God those visuals.

Isn't that how plots work? What were you expecting 2 hours of inconsequential shit then everything works out because reasons?

Wouldn't exactly call it a hidden gem, M$ airs a tv spot for it's new computers with this movie in it every hour.

So it's just like every other animated feature made in the past decade?

I just saw this in my Spanish class!
Lot of pacing issues. Poor writing. Great design, but doesn't transition as well to 3-D. Almost everyone else loved it, but the best thing I could say is "Has its moments"?

They could have resolved everything with a threeway.

The way they make death looks like a giant party is distasteful.

Also Mexico really needs to get something going for it besides Dia de los Muertos and luchador wrestling. FFS get some culture instead one dumb hobby and one dumb holiday.

I like it. It was a solid movie, but it's not really spectacular. It's like the kind of thing you get high or drunk and throw on to watch with your friends and then geek out over the visuals and crazy story with.

What the fuck should death be, doom and gloom and suffering? The concept of Heaven literally states that death is the best possible thing that could happen to a person.

>Covers of pop songs

Why?

>t.Burgerstan

Looked gorgeous. Many of important characters were poorly written. Plot moved at a spastic pace. The songs they chose to cover were awkward and cringe-y. The original songs were fantastic. Not very good overall which is a damn shame. Honestly wish it had been more about Xibalba and La Muerte, and that we'd seen more of the land of the dead or whatever it was called.

I still need to draw the skeletwins.

> one dumb holiday
So Cinco de Mayo magically doesn't exist anymore

Oh come on, when Manolo started singing "Creep" I laughed harder than I've ever laughed in a theater. I found the covers charming.

>However, I think they could have tried a little harder with the love triangle. From the moment it started, I knew it would be manolo.

Honestly, that didn't bother me because I was more impressed that Joaquin wasn't ever treated like an asshole or vilified just to push Maria and Manolo together, and throughout the whole thing he's still both of their close friend. And he doesn't get some shitty ending or anything. Probably the least annoying love triangle I've seen.

Because reasons

I do like how the earliest ancestor of the family is an Aztec dude, I thought that was a real nice touch.

I had more problems with how you get to stay in party underworld as long as someone alive remembers you, but once the last person who knows your name dies, you go to crappy underworld.

So the Big Bad Bandito Chakal will likely be chilling with Genghis Khan and Hitler, whilst so many monks and saintly people suffer inthe forgotten place.

The noses this guy designs for his characters can be unreal a lot of the time

I have to imagine their penises look about the same as their extreme noses, too

The bull fighting bit kind of felt out of place. Isn't that something that originated in Spain?

>hidden
kek, it got a wide release.
Next you'll be calling Secret of Kells obscure.

It still exists in Mexico, in fact they have the largest arena for bullfighting in the world.

skellington boobies

Well, to be honets, it first appeared in the bronze age, but it wasn't until Spain pick it up that it become more popular.

In any case, i don't think that it should be that much portrayed in every media. Most spaniards are against this practice, but it's problably the way they're more recognizable for 'murica or other countries.

>Honestly, that didn't bother me because I was more impressed that Joaquin wasn't ever treated like an asshole or vilified

I dunno, there was that one scene during the dinner or whatever where he started going on about having a wife to cook and clean for him and all that jazz.

He can be kinda dim and self-centered, sure, but he's a good person at heart. Like, the second after Maria learned Manolo died the mayor was already talking to her about marrying Joaquin, and even then Joaquin objected and told the mayor this wasn't the right time to talk about marriage when she couldn't even grieve for Manolo yet. He's not some asshole who just wants a wife, he truly cares for her.

in many cultures, death IS one giant party.

im mad they get the names of the actual gods of death wrong.
xibalba is a place, not a person.
also they kept fucking mixing up maya and aztec mythology like they were fucking interchangeable.

yeah but spain is all "civilized " now, so bullfighting is seen as terrible and inhumane.

while in mexico theres jaripeos going every fucking weekend.
almost every rural town in the bumfuck middle of nowhere has an arena.

>lived in a small rural town of about 5k people
>closest city is 100 miles away
>theres 5 fucking arenas

Visuals were beautiful, voice acting was nicely done. Characters and writing were decent enough; I think its biggest issue was pacing and not really doing enough with the whole underworld thing.
Also the mariachi pop songs were fucking hilarious, fuck y'all.

>You got your pagan holidays in my Christianity!

Well you got your Christianity in my pagan holidays!

>xibalba is a place, not a person.
>also they kept fucking mixing up maya and aztec mythology like they were fucking interchangeable.
Jorge is Mexican, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it was deliberate and that he wanted something that evoked the mythology rather than accurately reflecting it.

I'm going to need to rewatch it but I remember it being decent desu.

Not really sure why people cite poor writing as one of its flaws, the 3 main characters were decent enough and there was a nice song or two in there. They should have spent more time in the underworld, but it was nice regardless

As people mention already the writing was the main problem with Maria being weakest character of them all, just feeling like a Grrrl power trope at times and the actual villain was pretty weak (I'm not talking about Xibalba as he ends up not being the villain at all) Fortunately the visuals are so strong that can carry the whole movie but the music also is a mixed bag like they really should had went full latino with the music choices, hell i was disappointed the cover they did of Creep wasn't in spanish.

I don't know how that works and frankly, I don't care.

>Anglos celebrate 5 de mayo.

Jajaja