I want to watch some studio ghibli movies, which ones should I watch besides spirited away and totoro?

I want to watch some studio ghibli movies, which ones should I watch besides spirited away and totoro?

Other urls found in this thread:

nyaa.si/view/657740
youtube.com/watch?v=HRNqLRL1_RY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Porco Rosso

Up on Poppy Hill is a woefully underrated, imo.
Princess Mononoke, if you want something more accessible.

Grace of the fireflies is great if you want to be depressed

Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle are very good

Disregard anyone that tells you Howl's isn't that good, they are telling you jewish lies

all of them

Castle in the Sky is my personal favorite

Only Yesterday
The Tale of Princess Kaguya

aside from earthsea all of them are great
whisper of the heart, Porco, Kaguya and When Marine was there are essential I would say

It's the best movie I never want to watch again.

my nigga.

i really love Ponyo. such a cute and beautiful movie.

The Wind Rises

Totoro sucks

Watch only Chihiro, Mononoke and Howl's Castle

KILLIONS

Howl's Castle is the worst.

>glorifying Imperial Japan
This was when I realized that Miyazaki is still mad about WW2

On Your Mark
it's a short and it's really good.
nyaa.si/view/657740

Like some have said watch all of them. All of them have unique stories, settings, and characters. You might end up liking that is not mentioned here.

I find most of their works to be incredible destressors. Check them all out but do not binge. No visual media should be binged, imo.

if Miyazaki films were women Spirited Away would be the hot girl you dated in college
were Castle in the Sky is your childhood friend you married after high school, traveled the world, settled down and had 12 kids with.

Nausicaa was pretty good but the environmentalist angle was a bit much. Still worth a watch

Ponyo is probably the most dreamlike Miyazaki film and that's saying a lot.

Mononoke
The Cat Returns

This and Grave of the Fireflies are probably my two favorites but I watched GotF way too many times when I was going through some bad times.

>elder god tier
Whisper of the Heart

>god tier
Only Yesterday
Spirited Away
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

>great tier
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke
The Wind Rises

>good tier
Castle of Cagliostro
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo
Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill

>meh tier
Porco Rosso
The Cat Returns
When Marnie Was There

>shit tier
Pom Poko
Tales from Earthsea
Ocean Waves

>Childhood is loving Hayao Miyazaki
>Adulthood is realizing that Satoshi Kon was way more patrician

shit I forgot Grave of the Fireflies, which belongs in god tier

>porco
>marnie
>meh tier
get out

>Tales from Earthsea
oh man I was so excited about that after growing up reading the earthsea books. my friend's dad came back from a trip to china with a chinese dvd for it that claimed to have jp dub and english subs (it didn't). My buddy, his sister, her friend, and I ended up watching it with chinese subs on which none of us could read, ad-libbing dialogue for the thing. That's the only time I've managed to watch through that dumpster fire of a movie.

>top tier
Kiki's Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke
Naussica of the Valley of the Wind
>overrated but good tier
My Neighbor Totoro
Spirited Away
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
>underrated but really good tier
From up on Poppy Hill
Secret World of Arriety
The Wind Rises
>overrated but actually sort of bad tier
Howls Moving Castle
Porco Rosso
Tale of Princess Kaguya
>not worth watching to bad tier
Ponyo (IMO the studious weakest film)
The Cat Returns
Tales from Earthsea

I havent seen the rest

>Childhood is empty platitudes
>Adulthood is anything but (you)

I legitimately think this movie is the ascendant product of all his works

>Tale from earthsea

Never seen it and finally got a chance to watch it last week

Holy fuck what a hot mess of disorganized shit

I agree that its not good but its actually really interesting to watch for the meta story of Goro Miyazaki as a director.
Its interesting watching that film and witnessing a son trying to imitate his father when he just doesnt mesh with that style, and it hurts the film.
Dont get me wrong there are basic issues with the films animation that also make it bad, but I think its largely Goro trying and failing to be like his dad.
When you go to watch From up on Poppy Hill its a great example of a director realizing what their strengths are and using them to his advantage, proving that he isnt just doing this to be like his dad.
Tales from Earthsea is Goro Miyazaki trying to claim his fathers mantle for himself, which he just cant do.
From up on Poppy Hill is Goro Miyazaki claiming his own place in the history of Ghibli.

Nausicaa, Monoke and Spirited Away are the best, but Porco & Only Yesterday are my favourites

Porco is a perfect movie

Have you seen 'kingdom of dreams and madness'? It's really interesting, and the bits with Goro are fucking tragic. He seems like a wreck of a man. I really liked Poppy Hill too. Ronja is just straight awful though, it's a childrens tv show with 0 redeeming aspects for adults, an adult would have to completely suffer through it. It's amazing Studio Ghibli would make something like that.

My mom went on a Ghibli binge last year and I think managed to make it through most of Ronja. I was impressed by her fortitude having dropped it around episode 5 when it was clear it wasn't going to get any better.

Kiki's delivery service will forever be a fav

Kiki is the best imo

>Childhood is loving Miyazaki
>Adolescence is realizing that Satoshi Kon was way more patrician
>Adulthood is realizing that Paprika is not even a film, the story is nothing, it's an incredibly boring animation test & that Tokyo Godfathers is the kind of sentimental schlock you would make fun of your mother for watching if it was live action, that it's a christmas movie, and that Kon's films only compare favorably to other anime because the bar is so low, and they're mediocre if compared to live action, child you had it right all long.

havent seen Ronja or Kingdoms of Dreams and Madness but im not suprised to now that Ronja sucks.
Goro needs to leave ghibli because being a part of that studio is clearly hurting him. He could be comparable to the likes of Takahata if he just had more drive.

I think you might want to get your mum some help

paprika sucked dick yeah
Perfect blue is his best, he got progressively worse as the time went on

fucking this
Literally the GOAT animated film

youtube.com/watch?v=HRNqLRL1_RY

Studio Ghibli literally works his employees to death, he stands there with a whip and they draw until their fingers bleed and they have a brain aneurysm, say no to animator torture, support cruelty free anime

art requires blood.

Is there a Miyazaki film that doesn't have fantasy, WWII, or environmentalism?
I know that sounds ridiculous, but I want something more simpler.

Totoro is comfy.

Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke are my favorites, but everything the studio has done is excellent.

Everything before Princess Mononoke is awful and only nostalgiafags pretend to like them.

*something simpler
*something more simple

Whisper of the Heart, the best one of the bunch.

My man. Probably the best adventure movie I've seen. I've found that I like his more swashbuckling movies rather than the slice of life ones like Totoro and Spirited Away

The Castle of Cagliostro
he didn't direct that but he did write the screenplay

I like count everything that he had his hands on because green jacket lupin is really good. also moomin and heidi

he actually murdered the guy who directed it

Yeah, but Porco Rosso was made before that and is way better.

Mononoke is tedious

Whisper of the heart and Cat Returns 2 of the best Ghibli films ever made

it's not. the pacing is fine
fuck off pleb

Agree wholeheartedly.

Watch them all except earthsea and don't forget to watch the castle or cagliostro

NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Kiki's Delivery Service
Only Yesterday
Princess Mononoke
Whisper of the Heart
Howl's Moving Castle
From Up on Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
When Marnie Was There

I also think it's his best film.
He actually really doesn't like it because its his only film that isn't strictly a kids movie but that's why it's his best.

The director has shitty political views but his movies are pretty good.

sounds like you haven't seen dear zachary then

Castle in the Sky is the peak of animation.

Kiki's Delivery Service is the comfiest

>Kaguya
>bad

It is overrated, though.

the only Kon movie I've seen is Paprika and I hated it so fucking much I didn't check out anything else by him

These two and spirited away are the only watchable ones if you're not a complete weirdo t b h

Ghibli doesn't make movies for "weirdos," it's the some of the most mainstream anime that exists.

My Neighbor Totoro > Kiki's Delivery Service > Whisper of the Heart > Ponyo > Princess Mononoke > The Tale of Princess Kaguya > Spirited Away > The Wind Rises > Porco Rosso > The Castle of Cagliostro > Nausicaa > The Cat Returns > When Marnie Was There > Castle in the Sky > Grave of the Fireflies > Pom Poko > From Up on Poppy Hill > Howl's Moving Castle > Arrietty > Tales from Earthsea > Only Yesterday > My Neighbors the Yamadas

Tales of Earthsea is a but underrated by people. Show that movie to a kid who can handle blood and it will be his new favorite movie.

>Show that movie to a kid who can handle blood
Princess Mononoke has blood and it's actually good.

>elder god comfy tier
Kiki's Delivery Service
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo
Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill
Porco Rosso
Spirited Away
Whisper of a heart

>god comfy tier
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
My Neighbor Totoro
Princess Mononoke
Castle of Cagliostro
Castle in the Sky
The Cat Returns

>skip tier
The Wind Rises

>Disregard anyone that tells you Howl's isn't that good
Trips don't lie. I didn't like Howls the first time I saw it, but then each time I watched it I liked it more and now I think it's one of his best.

You ever read the book it's based on? It's really interesting to see how different a direction they took some things from the book.

Castle in the Sky or Princess Mononoke

But all of them really

No I don't read books.

Understandable. Have a nice day.

>Jiro has to hide from kempeitai
>Jiro hopes his foreign friend escapes from Japan
>Jiro constantly lambastes Japan as being backward and behind the times
>Almost no scenes of actual combat; final scene of Japan in utter ruin

Nothing in this film glorified Imperial Japan. Miyazaki loves airplanes and respects the men who helped innovate the field.

Who do so many people here hype this movie up so much? Is it because they are men trapped in pigs bodies?

Whisper of the Heart and Only Yesterday are GOAT.

Because it's perfect, dumbass.

If you'd ever watched it you'd realise that it's just the lead character (Marco Rosso) who's been cursed into becoming a pig (Porco Rosso).

FPBP

Anybody else think The Cat Returns is criminally underrated? Even the English dub is comedy gold, it features Michael Keaton AND Tim Curry.

Easily the most underrated, and the least anime-feeling of any Ghibli movie. It reminds me of "Disney Renaissance" era Disney.