Where did he go wrong?

Where did he go wrong?

His hairline

Working for DC

He didn't ',:^)

Flash Rebirth was obviously a big mistake at the time and DC refused to believe it, but had to shovel in a way to promote brand synergy.

Let's see how the DCEU still fails despite his involvement.

Then we can say he's a failure

He didn't

Brand Synergy?
With what? Nothing else Flash was coming out.

He didn't
Except having to handle the big events and have then tie down his overall track record.

Blackest Night was a turd.

he sort of found some footing a bit after here and there but it never really picked up the steam it had

He woke up?

He hasn't, but Sup Forums likes to pretend.

I mean DC was behind in the movie game but those were down the pipeline when Flash Rebirth came out. GL was in production at the time they decided to bring back Barry, for instance (and GL was supposed to launch their movie universe, saw how that turned out).

I would say Nu52 JL was shit from start to finish but I also don't think it's "his fault" necessarily.

I mean, he's responsible for what he wrote, but I can understand losing interest and turning in half-assed shit when a reboot that specifically nukes a decade of your own work is snuck up on you and you can't say no.

Plus he was spread way too thin writing 3 ongoings at once AND producing TV shows and trying to wrangle Zack Snyder.

I mean Geoff did it because he'd been led to believe he was setting up a Flash Family and there'd be a second book for Wally and the kids and then they pulled the rug out from under him.

>go to a bunch of halloween shops looking for a cheap little GL ring so I can throw together a lazy costume
>they all just have suicide squad costumes and not a single piece of GL merch anywhere

that movie really was terrible

Geoff is literally notorious for not coming up with his teased plot points. That was just another. Don't put the blame on other people because Geoff NEVER follows through.

Relegating Wally to a B-Book isn't some saving grace of our poor, benevolent Geoff. Dude just lied to everyone and got off scott free because he pulled a mea culpa 6 years later.

Flash Rebirth was like 08 or 09

All that was out for MCU was IronMan and maybe IncredibleHulk.
And I don't think there was an official MCU being put together until IronMan 2 in which each movie would set up the next.

You're looking in the wrong places. Go to a couple comic shops, they have lantern rings coming out the ass. Not just green, by the way.

I personally loved Blackest Night.
I mean he literally found a way to use killed off characters to his advantage in a good way.

I never understood the hate towards Blackest Night.

>Geoff is literally notorious for not coming up with his teased plot points

"I was gonna do this GL story or that Aquaman story but I don't write anymore because I'm busy w/ Hollywood" is legitimately not the same thing as "Everything was fine until some new President and EiC came in and made me turn what was supposed to be an ordinary fucking summer crossover into a universe reboot"

One is a thing you choose to do and the other is a thing done TO you.

>He didn't buy the Lantern Rings in bulk when they were coming out for like $1 in the late 00s early 10s
HAHAHAHAHAHA
Sucks for you I own like 3 of each and used to own 2 dozen GL rings.
Wore them all to the GL movie showing and people bought them all off me for $2 each for some.

I also loved that shit. It might just be typical Sup Forums contrarianism.

Admittedly the ending ain't the greatest.
And it leads into Brightest Day.
Which is an okay story held down by really shitty tie ins.

Nothing massive, though he's made plenty of mistakes.
Darkseid War and what he did to Conner being the biggest ones I can think of.

The trick to enjoying Blackest Night to its fullest is to NOT read Brightest Day, just stay exclusive to the GL books.

Aquaman was great

DC Bendis

He only cares about his pet characters and totally ignore other writers input, ideas etc. and doesn't even do research on character he writes.

he only read Wonder Woman after months he had to write her in JL, for example

He retconned my favorite GL story but then created the multiple Corps which is my favorite aspect of recent GL, so I'm on the fence on this one.

>he only read Wonder Woman after months he had to write her in JL, for example
Why are people amazed by this? Comic writers don't usually spend their free time reading through thousands of archive comics about characters they don't care about. Bendis doesn't read comics he doesn't care about *at all* see: Thanos Imperative.

It was Naruto-like.

I don't think Bendis even reads the fucking wiki pages.

After all the hype It was just zombies and he went around killing off c listers for shock value. That Shyera Kendra shit was just a fuck you

Is this a joke? Johns has been dropping plot threads since he debuted. Still waiting on Wally's third worst day and Plastic Man, dude.

Johns wrote almost all of Kendra's stories in the first place, he can do what the fuck he wants with her at that point.

Look, if someone got Superman origin and powers wrong you would call him out but since Johns writes the characters you care about well you don't.

And yes, I expect someone in charge of the JL book to have a good grasp of the other heroes, that's the difference between a good writer like Morrison and someone like Johns who is only liked by characterfags like you.

I don't speak weeaboo.

Wallys third worst day was Flashpoint

>expecting a Plastic Man book

That's your own fucking fault

There's a difference between having a grasp of an character and reading every comic featuring them ever. Do you genuinely think that for example Azzarello sat down and read through 70 years of Wonder Woman comics *before* writing his own?

Explain why you feel that.

>Azzarello Wonder Woman

Probably not the best example for a defense.

Azz > Rucka

I of course meant general grasp, my bad for not being very clear about it.

I didn't ask.

Point, but I could say the same about a muh nostalgia writer and it would still be true.
Look, Big Two comics have people to go through the archives and point out to writers where story arcs blatantly contradict past stories (Bendis obviously ignores them). Writers by and large don't.
I view the fact Johns was willing to sit down and read through 70 fucking years of comics to get a character better as a thing that sets him above other writers, although yes he could have done it a few years ago and his JL would have been far better for it.

>although yes he could have done it a few years ago and his JL would have been far better for it.

Again, I'm certain that JL is very much the product of lack of interest in the direction of the company at the time. I'd be too depressed to give my best effort too if 90% of my career was JSA and Sidekicks and then some asshole came in and said "Hey, let's get rid of the JSA and sidekicks"

His Barry wank nearly destroyed the DC universe for a shitty character,now he has to blame a naked blue man for that mess

>Barry
>Shitty character

He can't get his Bo Duke dolls to type more than two words (which also impacts his output).

Bland personality, bland friendships, bland romantic interest. Literally the worst Flash. Hell, even DCEU uses Wally with Barry's name.

He's not worth getting rid of based characters like Jay, Wally and Bart

Blackest Night was a really good event though. One of the best in the last decade. True it wasn't as amazing as Sinestro Corps War but it was still really good.

No it wasn't. Wally wasn't even shown in Flashpoint and Barry didn't come to Wally on that day. Citizen Cold fridged him.

It was just an ignored plot thread.

He's really not a good character, considering they had to completely remodel him with parts from Batman and Wally and he's still not even close to being as good as Wally.

Hello, Barry.

>retconned my favorite GL story
Emerald Twilight or Emerald Dawn?

blackest night

>great at creating concepts that have the potential to develop into something great
>never really executes it well

is Johns the Kishimoto of the American cape industry?

Blackest Night foretold his run of shit, Brightest Day began it.

Forever Evil was a slight return to form, but Darkseid War fucking sucked.

Blackest Night is far and away my favorite zombie story, and made them so much more entertaining by introducing intelligence and not only the ability, but a preponderance towards emotionally manipulating and toying with their prey. Add superpowers and the fact that they're essentially malevolent constructs wearing the corpses of people's loved ones, while being nothing of the sort, and they become the nastiest breed of undead I've encountered in fiction. Dan Didio had it right. It's a "horror movie," that managed to convince me that superhero comics actually have the potential to be scary.

>invoking cosmic GL mythos sometimes drawing on elements dreamed up by Morrison and Moore
>reduced to a zombie story made not-generic b/c IN SPACE which conflicts with Gaiman's mythos

>reduced to a zombie story made not-generic b/c IN SPACE which conflicts with Gaiman's mythos

You're not going to find to many zombie stories like Blackest Night. Vampires could potentially be used in such a fashion, but pop cultures completely shit the bed with that one.

Nekron, as a concept, was also just really interesting (Nekron isn't death but is the anthropomorphization of the absence of life that existed prior to its evolution and simply wishes to return the universe to this natural state, "We are the disturbance of the peace in Rest In Peace," every rant from Black Hand about death, including his argument that aging is somehow the universe's attempt to return things to the way they're meant to be) regardless of the fact that, yeah, Neil Gaiman posited a different mechanism by which death is enacted, but so did Kirby and innumerable other writers before him. It's such a basic concept, that writers should be allowed to play with it for the sake of an entertaining story.

>conflicts with Gaiman's mythos
who cares

>tfw we used to have

Blackest Night and Flashpoint.

Not to mention the whole "it was Watchmen who made your comics edgy, not me and my peers" thing going on right now.

he is too busy with movies and tv to actually finish his goddamn runs, seriously John is being more than a fucking year when are you going to finish the Shazam kids arc?

the problem with Blackest Night is not that is bad is that just as everything that came after Sinestro Corps war hasn't been able to top it.
Seriously Sinestro Corps war is like the new quintessential GL arc that has yet to be topped.

>conflicts with Gaiman's mythos
so do a dozen other things, who gives a fuck

Blackest night was OK, the follow-up arc brightest day was utterly fucking awful

>seriously John is being more than a fucking year when are you going to finish the Shazam kids arc?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Brightest day was a travesty, awful story

40keks.jpg

Comics used to actually be amazing what the fuck happened? How could you sweep this pure shining comic book greatness away without a second thought?

He has his "correct vision" of what character should be and will force them into it throwing out interesting stuff done to characters. Good examples being restoring Cyborg from his more robotic state and Hal from being a Spectre.