Conan fantasy > Tolkien fantasy > Game of Thrones fantasy

Conan fantasy > Tolkien fantasy > Game of Thrones fantasy

Does it actually have hot chicks like all the paintings convey?

Yeah

why are there no good fantasy movies? Correct me if I'm wrong. LotR trilogy was the closest to a good fantasy movie, but it was still pretty bad.

The Hobbit movies were just plain bad. Would've been a million times better if Jackson just let Del Torro direct that shit.

LotR is GOAT, you faggot. The original Conan the Barbarian is great too.

Jason and the Argonauts

Learn2read

Are they still making the king conan?

ya it's the GoaT of the fantasy genre and it's not even that good. Thanks for proving my point.

They left out Tom Bombadil and the scourging of the Shire. Two massively important events from LotR. I was very excited to see The Hobbit when I heard Del Torro was directing. And then that ass hat Jackson took over and fucked the whole thing up.

I want a proper fantasy movie with good CGI, and a decent plot/script. I haven't been able to find any. Even if it was animated I wouldn't mind.

Give me a good high fantasy story that has wizards casting cool spells, and knights rescuing damsels in distress. Something like pic related.

Most of those old movies where Ray Harryhausen did the effects are good stories in the same vein as Conan, albeit sanitized for an audience of children.

Sadly, most people who think of fantasy think of either "teenager(chosen one) has a superpower and fights dragons better than anyone in the world despite never fighting dragons before, and there is a evil sorcerer" and "fantasy is for kids so lets make it goofy and not make/take the subject matter serious" the people making them think this is what people want because this is what most fantasy is, because most fantasy is fucking awful.

Fantasy is hard as fuck to make because you have to establish an entire world AND THEN tell a story in it that can keep people following it without getting lost. The story should never be about the actual world itself, but something thats happening there, and thats actually hard to do with fantasy, so noone really touches it, you arent just writing a script with fantasy you need to develop and entire history for a fictional place.

The essence of LOTR was kept intact, that's all that matters.
I'd like to see you try to create something like LOTR, while still keeping its essence intact and simultaneously jumping through modern film industry hoops.

> And then that ass hat Jackson took over and fucked the whole thing up.
Slow down nigga, if anyone is to blame its Del Torro actually, picking up the project, making a script, and then leaving for someone else to pick up the pieces. Jackson was not to blame for how rushed and directionless it was, he had to jump into a sinking ship he didnt know the layout of and plug up the leaks. He came into to finish it, he did not come in and wrestle Del Torro out, he left and left a massive amount of work to be finished. Look up what happened its not as simple as a bad director taking over, there was lack of props and everything.

Also I think the scouring of the shire being removed was ok, it wouldve left a very salty taste in the mouth if that was how the movie ended, it also wouldve added another hour onto the movie. You can draw shit out like that in books but you need to condense movies down so its not too long and people are checking their watch.

I actually don't know the details of what happened, so maybe I shouldn't judge Jackson too harshly. I just wanted a fresh perspective on the LotR universe, and with The Hobbit it felt very similar to the LotR films.

yes, those are good points. I guess shitty action movies with overpaid actors are what sell tickets.

Maybe the success of GoT will bring about some more fantasy films.

That pic is not from a Conan book, it's from a Gor novel by John Norman

Isn't Johnny Milus brain dead now? It will suck without him.

Weve been waiting since its success with the first season, I dont think its going to happen. Adapting more fantasy books would work because the years of legwork developing a world is already done for you. Fantasy takes a very long time to develop something good, you essentially have to write the history of somewhere that doesnt exist.

>why are there no good fantasy movies?

Because cinema is the most limited medium, not just physically; it also limits the viewer. I agree the hackson movies were shit; what with his awful directing, what with the dumbed down dialogue for mass consume. Fantasy belongs exclusively to literature

Conan is sword and sorcery though...

she doesn't look very distressed about the situation she is in

'But I'm not going to do that!' Conan roared. 'Not because I have any love for you dogs, but because a white man doesn't leave white men, even his enemies, to be butchered by Picts (niggers).'

>They left out Tom Bombadil and the scourging of the Shire.

Silly hippie character and utterly pointless anticlimax.

You want to pose as a Tolkien purist, but just reveal (as everyone who mentions these two does) how little you understand about pacing and maintaining the main plot in an epic.

“You said I was a barbarian,” he said harshly, “and that is true, Crom be thanked. If you
had had men of the outlands guarding you instead of soft-gutted civilized weaklings, you
would not be the slave of a black pig this night. I am Conan, a Cimmerian, and I live by
the sword’s edge. But I am not such a dog as to leave a white woman in the clutches of a
black man; and though your kind call me a robber, I never forced a woman against her
consent.

>"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard

you having a giggle m8?

Excuse me if I like being able to talk without accidentally saying something that gets me killed.

I bought this movie specifically because of the box art and I have yet to watch it, no real reason why not, I just havent got around to it. God fucking damn, just look at it.

TRASH
Unless we are talking about someone with a mental condition,all men should be responsable for what they say

Dragonslayer.
Yhea, it's old. So wat.

watch that shit my guy
you are trash

How do I into Conan fantasy/lore? The paintings of swords and titties intrigue me.

I can only apologize for offences I didnt know I could commit.

Anything > Fantasy > Muscle Guys for Nerd to Insert On Fantasy

Based Robert E. Howard

Just grab pic-related, it has the first Conan stories with some sections about Howard's life and the world of Hyboria that Howard wrote himself

By reading the stories?? They're extremely good. Reading Conan is like talking to him in person, Haward's word take living form.

Perfect, thanks boys