Been in near constant publication since the 40's

>Been in near constant publication since the 40's
>Two stints as Batman
>Had a solo that went over 100 issues
>Lead one of the biggest teams in DC history

Still no rogue gallery or supporting cast. How?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j2odOu0Oguo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gypsy_and_Traveller_groups
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>white male
>fucks all the bitches
SJWs HATE him

find out why!

Because he's derivative of Batman, he likely had a lot of attempts at rogues galleries but nobody really remembers because he's in Batman's shadow.

>SJWs HATE him
Tumblr has a boner for all the Robins. They just headcanon them as massive feminists.

Because the concept of having your own rogues gallery in a shared universe is basically dead.

Though he has Deathstroke as a nemesis and Morrison tried to make Red Hood and Scarlet into his antithesis, but Winick went MUH ANTI-HERO.

And gay.

All of them.

What about Blockbuster? Inspector Soames? Raptor? just kidding, Raptor sucks dick and I have no idea why I keep buying new issues of Nightwing Rebirth

Doesn't need a Rouge Gallery when the GOAT villan is his.

>Been in near constant publication in Batman's comics
>Two stints as Batman
>Had a solo that went over 100 issues that was edited by Batman's editors and was subservient to any crossovers they wanted to do, plus guest appearances by Bat-Characters to make sure sales didn't flop
>Lead one of the biggest teams in DC history under the pretense that he was Batman's sidekick

That's how. Dick is a Batman character, so creators supplement him with Batman shit, not his own shit.

I'm legitimately bothered he's been more focused on GA and Batman since the New 52 than Dick. Have they even FOUGHT since 2011?

Isn't he more of his own character than just a villain for Dick to fight by this point?

he is the inferior Robin

Damian already surpassed him in everything

>the worst Robin surpassed Dick

Nope.

>psssh... getting personnel, kid.

>supporting cast
titans, batfamily, most notably damian lately
>rogues
deathstroke, bats' rogues.

with him it's not that he doesn't have many rogues and friends, he has too many, and he's also sharing them with other characters

>Supporting cast
Titans and Batfamily. Over the years editorial whims have tried to break him away from both. Other writers just don't care enough to carry over the supporting characters he's had. I would love to see Amy Rohrbach again. Amygdala. Ravager. Sonia Zucco.

>rogue gallery
Editorial has repeatedly killed them off, spun them over to other properties, or retconned them into irrelevance
Up till the 80s, his rogues were Batman's rogues.
Deathstroke - Rolled over to Green Arrow, New 52'd. Shit, now he's more of a Batman villain. Fuck you DC.
Brother Blood - Killed by Johns for his Teen Blood character
Mr Twister/Gargoyle - Forgotten and New 52'd
Blockbuster - Killed by Grayson, reset to the original in New 52.
Tarantula - New 52'd, rolled over to Green Arrow
Shrike - Ruined by Kelley Puckett
Professor Pyg - Rolled up to Batman
Red Hood - New 52'd, now an anti-hero
James Gordon Jr. - Ruined by Gail Simone
Owlman - Johns dropped the ball on this, never followed up, and killed him instead.
Luka Netz - She's still out there, along with whatever's left of Dedalus' Spyral
Parliament of Owls/Raptor - Too early to tell how this'll go

Then he still has his own personal relationships with the standard bat-rogues. But if DC could just fix a couple of the big villains on this list, I would be soooooo happy.

I forgot a few.

The Wrath II - New 52'd
Saiko - He was shit. Hopefully forgotten forever.
Crazy Quilt - forgotten and needs a Rebirth because he was the first
Dan Didio - GOAT arch nemesis needs more panel time
Lady Vic was cool too, I could see more of her. Also Double Dare.

If you could make an ideal Nightwing supporting cast and rogues gallery, what would it be?

Bad writers for his solo.

This. He was created as support character and the fact that he went this far is pretty impressive, but this is the best that dc can do with him.

I like midnighter, tiger and spyral as the supporting cast.

I miss James Jr and owlman as his rouges. Abnett brought back gargoyle/mister twister, and antithesis so looking forward to them.

Seeley's struggling to write him alone.

Like I said, bad writers for his solo.

Because no matter what, he's always going to be a glorified sidekick and his stints as Batman are useless because he'll never be the Batman, just a Batman.

He's getting Orca as one of his.

He has one, it's just too shit to be remembered.
Lady Vic is the only one I can recall off the top of my head, right now.

This is troubling.

I don't think he likes Nightwing very much, or at least the idea of classic Nightwing.

Seeley is just a bad writer, that's all.

Either he doesn't like Nightwing and is trying very hard to retread old ground to please fanboys and "be like Grant Morison" with the "everything is canon" idea but missing the point or he's a huge Nightwing fanboy and loves all the garbage and mediocre stories from his solo.

Fuck off.

Salvaged only by King in the Grayson title

WATCH IT, user!

Deathstroke, Gordon Jr., Raptor, Blockbuster, Pyg, Twister/Gargoyle, Vic, Shrike, Tarantula, Double Dare

Seems a bit heavy on martial artists but that would be my pick for rogues, in roughly descending order of importance.

Assassin, maniac, assassin, king-pin ripoff, maniac, maniac, assassin, assassin, assassin, assassin twins.

You know why, Op, but this board is too biased toward Dick to have that discussion.

You might not have noticed but Dick is a street-level hero.

Didn't Tim Drake have an ongoing that ran on for 100 issues apparently? What supporting characters or villains does he have to speak of now?

Because dick grayson is a supporting character to bruce wayne

He is not the headliner like other b or c list characters with their own rogues and city

Everything should be canon.

Dick's supporting cast in his solo should be huge.
He has his family in Bruce and Alfred. He's big brother to Damian. He has a mentor/big bro in Superman.
He has his best friends in Wally and Donna. The rest of the Titans are there too.
He has his off/on ex-girlfriend in Barbara. She still knows him better than basically anyone.
He has work friends in Tiger, Midnighter, and Huntress
He has a cast of rotating romantic interests, from Helena, Starfire, Sonia Branch, etc.
Dick working to redeem Ravager was like the prototype of DickBats and Damian and we need more of it.

Dick's rogues gallery could be good.
Priest is fixing Deathstroke.
Seeley could Rebirth Tarantula's history with Nightwing.
Raptor and the Parliament of Owls are good.
Spyral Agent 0 is still out there. Professor Pyg has ties to her too.
James Jr. still works.

That gives you a decent base to build off of. It gives ties to the Titans, the Batfam, and the Spyral era. And none of those villains are shit. I mean, I loved the shit out of Blockbuster and I'd love to see him return, but he's too Kingpin-lite and the DCU has changed so much...

I like Tim well enough but that's misleading. He had 100 issues as Robin, which is basically a buffer for sales.

Then can't King salvage himself in his Batman? Nightwing isn't any worse than majority of mediocre Rebirth titles.

Double Dare are jewel/art thieves.
Tarantula is a vigilante who broke bad (anti-hero? femme fatale?)
Gargoyle is a common criminal possessed by a malevolent extradimensional force. He's a dimension-hopping reality-warper with some sort of psychic juju. Maniac seems kinda reductive.

Honestly, do you even read comics?

>Everything should be canon.
No. Cape comics have too much history and there are far too many bad cape writers for such an approach. When you're put on a character, as a writer, it is your duty to retcon bad writing, much more important than expanding on a good writer's work.

>What... villains does he have to speak of now?
Irrelevance?
Also, Ulysses. That's literally it.

Agree with this, but it seems to only be on the weekends are the worst

Dick is one of my favorite characters. What are you guys talking about?

>When you're put on a character, as a writer, it is your duty to retcon bad writing, much more important than expanding on a good writer's work.
Retcons are part of 'everything is canon'.
That happened, it was just a doombot.
That was my protege who stole my Prometheus gear.
We called it rape at the time but really it was consensual.

That hack thinking is why most cape comics suck.

>white male
Except he's not and hasn't been for like a decade

>fucks all the bitches
>this meme again

>forced diversity

Because DC doesn't care about him.

Dick is an overachieving B lister who is too similar to Batman on his own, and DC/WB cares more about Justice League than Teen Titans and always has (minus the early 80s and the beginning of Johns' run).

They're just fine with putting writers who haven't proven themselves on his book (and TT), and if all goes well, they get moved to something different, because Dick (and TT) sells just fine when they're mediocre.
Grayson was fantastic yet it didn't sell much better than Nightwing solos before, so they put the better writer on a bigger title people care about (i.e. Batman).

And since he hasn't had a "defining" run, writers who come in start over to make their own defining run. Sometimes crossovers ruin their plans (Grayson the writer and Higgins), and sometimes editorial just fucks you over completely (Grayson the writer and King/Seeley).

Again, mostly because DC doesn't care about him and doesn't HAVE to care about him.

Is it that much of a stretch for a family of traveling circus performers to be Romani?

Common sense.
He was from a long-running circus family with roots in western Europe. Dick being part gypsy makes sense. That's like complaining about forced diversity when PAD made Monet St Croix Muslim. Go away.

no wonder he keeps stealing Batman's stuff and even tries to steal his cape/title

Him being part Romani makes more sense than him being fully white. He uses gypsy magic to attract so many women.

That's racist.
youtube.com/watch?v=j2odOu0Oguo

Yes. Gypsies aren't known to be circus people. 'sides nobody did much with that information anyway, nobody explored his heritage. Also
>Richard John Grayson
>Romani name

>Dan Didio - GOAT arch nemesis needs more panel time

I tip my hat to you clever sir, for that was rich and true

>Because DC doesn't care about him.
False. DC cares but every time they try to push the character forward his fans throw a bitch fit.

>FINGER STRIPES!

His mom was Romani, his dad isn't.

All batman enemies. Plus all teen titans. Enemies are his enemies, he doesn't need anyone more

He does you casual.

>Deathstroke
>Tarantula
>Blockbuster
Thats just off the top of my head.

This, most of Batman's rogues were introduced while he was Robin so they are Dick's rogues too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gypsy_and_Traveller_groups

>>Richard John Grayson
His pre-anglicized surname was Graesinka.
Then they retconned the fuck out of it in the New 52 and I guess it's just his mom's side that's romani

>Graesinka
Even worse. This is what 0 research gets you
>oh I guess I'll just make him Romani because it sounds exotic. And romani are people without land so I won't get called out when I do innacurate shit like if I were to make him Italian or something.

>All batman enemies

enough, he already stole Batman's "nice side" he shouldn't steal his rogue gallery too

His most recent stint as batman was the best thing to happen to the title in a long time. Faggo Bruce can stay dead

>enough, he already stole Batman's "nice side" he shouldn't steal his rogue gallery too
When will this meme end?
Batman turned asshhole long before Dick was taken back from the Titans books. Don't blame Dick for DC's 20-year plus Batjerk boner.

It's not a meme tho, when Dick and Bruce are in the same room they always up Bruce's asshole level to the max

at least in the 90s they were both assholes

That dude turned out to not be his real grandpa.

Yes, Batman being an unrepentant jackass is clearly all Dick's fault. You have shown me the error of my ways, whatever was I thinking?

Lol the Batman book was trash when it was Dickbats. Morrison's BnR and Snyder's Black Mirror were great, but Streets of Gotham was mediocre and 'Tec was taken over by Batwoman.

They were pretty cool with each other in Nightwing: Rebirth.

I didn't say it was all his fault

>using panels from that writer

How far back would you like me to go, then?

How many writers would you like?

>cherrypicking

those are all side-effects

Only Morrison's B&R and Black Mirror were good/great during that time.

Batman was trash, Streets of Gotham was alright at best (though Dick himself was nothing special), Batwoman had 'Tec, B&R after Morrison was mediocre at best, and JLA was awful.

Except it happened BEFORE Dick even came back to the batbooks.

Dick didn't come back for good until the mid 90s and Bruce became an asshole after DKR and Death In The Family.

And you even said that Dick wasn't even nice in the 90s, and it wasn't he was extremely prissy, so it wasn't Dick "stealing" Bruce's niceness.

So basically there were under 30 good issues of Dickbats.

I'm pretty sure he's gone on record as not liking Bludhaven/the original run.

Well Dixon and early Grayson were mediocre as fuck, wasted potential, and pretty by the numbers, so I can see him not liking it.
He seems to like more out there things.

And yet he's still revisiting it.

Cherrypick these nuts and stop moving your goalposts.
This had nothing to do with Dick and everything to do with Denny O'Neil's conscious decision to move the Batman titles to a much darker place in the late 80s.

Remember, Dick didn't get pulled back into the Batbooks till 1994.

look we can argue all day it will not change the truth that if Dick and Bruce are in the same story Dick is going to be the saint and Bruce the asshole meanwhile when Bruce is on his own and not paired with some other hero he will showcase a bigger array of emotions

He's shitting on it though

And making Bludhaven what it should've been to begin with and not a Gotham clone.

Ok but it's not Dick's fault since it happened to Bruce before Dick even came back and Dick was also an asshole when he actually did come back

It's writers' faults for reading DKR and wanting a shitty human being as Batman

If you eat a shit ironically, at the end of the day you're still eating a shit.

>JLA was awful.
Why does this run get so much hate? Everything from the JSA crossover to the title ending was pretty good.

god I love Slade

Because he isn't as valuable as Batman or Robin. so DC doesn't bother with throwing support at his character since he already does better than they were expecting.

DC has pushed Dick pretty heavy the last few years, really.

They made him the face of the Batbooks for about 2 years in Batman Reborn, then kept him around as Batman through to Rebirth.
Sure there was that stumble in the New 52, but three years in they fixed it, gave him Grayson, gave him the weekly B&R Eternal series, made the WAR series founded on his legacy, and gave him the Robin War event on top of all that.

Sure they took King and put him on Batman, but Nightwing is doing good right now. He's got a Titans title again. At least the company is trying.

>He's got a Titans title again.

All Dickfags I see on internet are whining about Titans book.

>He's got a Titans title again
It's a Wally book and Booth is on it though.

So? Ignore them.

Generalize much?
I mean, Nightwing is my favorite character. I'm so happy Wally has a title again, I'm even ignoring the Boothh art and mediocre writing.

Tim is gay. Dick is bi.

>muh headcanons

Sure they are.